• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pros and cons early April central from Porto

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
I need to move my May Camino from Porto to early April or to June. I would leave Porto around March 29 and arrive in SdC a couple of days after Easter (which is April 9). June is an option but much more expensive.
Questions:
What are the biggest cons for going in early April? Biggest pros?
muito obrigado!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m a big fan of spring Caminos despite the possibility of poor weather. On our first CP Central Route in late March/April we has great weather. A day or two of a light drizzle, but sunny most of the time. The following year, at the same time of year, we walked the Inglés in torrential rain and wind for a week. A big challenge, but still a great Camino! This past spring, we returned to Porto to walk the Coastal Route. Great weather almost every day on the coast even that early in the year. So, I wouldn’t discourage you from a spring Camino. Hope for the best, but prepare for some rain. Growing up in Oregon, if you didn’t do things in the rain then you didn’t do much at all. Just carry rain gear! Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll be walking during Holy Week. That means more pilgrims. Depending upon how you look at it, could be a pro, could be a con.
Otherwise I'd say the only actual con for April Camino is cooler/colder weather and possibly more of a chance of rain. Key word possible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m a big fan of spring Caminos despite the possibility of poor weather. On our first CP Central Route in late March/April we has great weather. A day or two of a light drizzle, but sunny most of the time. The following year, at the same time of year, we walked the Inglés in torrential rain and wind for a week. A big challenge, but still a great Camino! This past spring, we returned to Porto to walk the Coastal Route. Great weather almost every day on the coast even that early in the year. So, I wouldn’t discourage you from a spring Camino. Hope for the best, but prepare for some rain. Growing up in Oregon, if you didn’t do things in the rain then you didn’t do much at all. Just carry rain gear! Bom Caminho!
Rain gear, check. 😊 Did you have trouble finding open albergues in late March? I’ll search the forum and apps for albergue info in March ‘22 as a predictor.

You'll be walking during Holy Week. That means more pilgrims. Depending upon how you look at it, could be a pro, could be a con.
Otherwise I'd say the only actual con for April Camino is cooler/colder weather and possibly more of a chance of rain. Key word possible.
Thanks, @RJM . That is good info about more pilgrims. They might be a little ahead of me but I guess albergues must be open in anticipation of the Easter pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need to move my May Camino from Porto to early April or to June. I would leave Porto around March 29 and arrive in SdC a couple of days after Easter (which is April 9). June is an option but much more expensive.
Questions:
muito obrigado!
Practically none. Toss a coin; it’ll be closer than a weather forecast.

FWIW I’m on the central from Oporto starting late February 23. Will it rain? Probably. Do I care? Not one iota.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Err, not sure I understand your question, @Tincatinker . There is no problem, just a few decisions to make. I like reading the opinions of experienced folks here, so I asked a question.
I think I mean that the weather will be what it is. April will be cooler and probably wetter than June but dealing with the weather is more about clothing than planning. Effective layers are of more use than the past experiences of others. Their weather will be different to yours even if it’s the same.
You have an opportunity to walk Camino. Go, walk it whenever the opportunity arises

Thanks, @RJM . That is good info about more pilgrims. They might be a little ahead of me but I guess albergues must be open in anticipation of the Easter pilgrims.
Yes, there may possibly be more pilgrims but there's no way to predict. I haven't been on the Portugues since 2019 so I don't know what albergues are open that closed during the pandemic or when albergues fully open for the year.
If you don't have a guidebook I suggest getting one. They're great for researching your Camino.
Also don't overthink it.

@Tincatinker @henrythedog I think you interpreted my original post as focused on the weather. I deliberately asked a broad question to elicit a range of answers. I joined this forum and read others’ posts as I thoroughly enjoy seeing the Camino experience through the eyes of others. It doesn’t harm my own experience of the Camino and often enriches it. Thank you for taking the time to respond, though. It is thoughtful of you experienced pilgrims and longtime forum members to respond to questions from less experienced pilgrims!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Tincatinker @henrythedog I think you interpreted my original post as focused on the weather. I deliberately asked a broad question to elicit a range of answers. I joined this forum and read others’ posts as I thoroughly enjoy seeing the Camino experience through the eyes of others. It doesn’t harm my own experience of the Camino and often enriches it. Thank you for taking the time to respond, though. It is thoughtful of you experienced pilgrims and longtime forum members to respond to questions from less experienced pilgrims!
Well to be fair to Tincatinker and henrythedog, when you spend most of the daylight hours outdoors, the weather does tend to be something of a priority. I haven't walked the Portugués, but I did live in Oporto and let me assure you, it really does rain there (I used to swear the Atlantic didn't like me so had decided to jump on my head once a day) so good waterproof gear is a must. So that's a con. But a big pro is that it will be spring, a beautiful time to be walking, the countryside will be ablaze with flowers, and in the towns I used to love the way the mica in the granite buildings sparkled whenever the sun came out after the rain. By the way, April 25th is a big day in Portugal - they celebrate the revolution of the carnations.

Well to be fair to Tincatinker and henrythedog, when you spend most of the daylight hours outdoors, the weather does tend to be something of a priority. I haven't walked the Portugués, but I did live in Oporto and let me assure you, it really does rain there (I used to swear the Atlantic didn't like me so had decided to jump on my head once a day) so good waterproof gear is a must. So that's a con. But a big pro is that it will be spring, a beautiful time to be walking, the countryside will be ablaze with flowers, and in the towns I used to love the way the mica in the granite buildings sparkled whenever the sun came out after the rain. By the way, April 25th is a big day in Portugal - they celebrate the revolution of the carnations.
That is a lovely image of sparkling mica in the towns and the countryside “ablaze with flowers”! And great info on Carnation Revolution day. If I’m there at the time I will pause for the day to enjoy the celebrations.

I have walked three Caminos (but not Portuguese) in April and found that time of year delightful. I am scheduled for Porto to SdC the last two weeks of April 2023. I will miss Easter this year, but (although it is busier), I really enjoyed the local celebrations, parades, and church services during that week. . . and am thinking I will miss that this year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did part of the Frances Camino in March/April few years ago. We did incur rain often, but we were prepared with rain gear and the mental acceptance of inclement weather periodically. If the forecast was really nasty we took a rest day. As far as the Holy week, we were also concerned with the crowds. Holy Week was like any other week.
Bom Camino

Spring Caminos have the extra benefit of refreshed albergues, locals happy to see the return of pilgrims, and cleaner trails!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Questions:
muito obrigado!
We did it that time this year. We were incredibly lucky with the weather & walked in shorts! The route was very quiet; it felt like we were some of the first of the "season". However, it was clean, peaceful, unspoilt and local business owners were really happy to see us!

OK, got it.

putting the weather to one side; pretty much everything will be as ‘open’ in April as it will in May.

it might be slightly busier in April; as Easter is in the first half of the month and that can bring the crowds out.

Spring will have sprung.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rain gear, check. 😊 Did you have trouble finding open albergues in late March? I’ll search the forum and apps for albergue info in March ‘22 as a predictor.
No problem finding open albergues from Porto on up to SdC. As a plus for us, the Camino wasn’t busy at all any of our early spring walks. We didn’t find reservations necessary that time of year even at Casa Fernanda’s (which I highly recommend as a stop between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima). Regarding checking out albergues, go on to Gronze.com. Even if you don’t want reservations, it’s a good site for identifying places to stay along The Way.

You have an opportunity to walk a Camino. What exactly is the problem?
Who said anything about there being a problem? I think their question was explained very clearly.
Err, not sure I understand your question, @Tincatinker . There is no problem, just a few decisions to make. I like reading the opinions of experienced folks here, so I asked a question.
I agree, Sarah. Exactly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Fisherman's Trail in Portugal in the middle of April 2019, and continued on the Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago starting May 1st and had near perfect weather on both; maybe a bit of rain once or twice, and I barely remember any inconvenience if that tells you anything.🤷
Every year will be different with a "range" of temperatures and precipitation...MOTO.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back