• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela - 205km on the CF

LuisaR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I’m on my way to Gatwick Airport to fly to Santiago this evening, embarking on my 3rd camino. Two years ago I walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, and last August I walked from Porto to Santiago.
I was supposed to walk this camino with my mother, but she has a knee injury so I am walking solo, which is how I’ve walked my previous caminos.
We were supposed to walk from Sarria on this camino, as we didn’t think she’d manage to walk much longer than 100km. Now she’s not coming, I’ve extended it to 200km, starting from Ponferrada.
I’m excited to be walking this camino - I enjoy not knowing what each camino will bring….but I also have a few reservations: I’ve always walked in July and August, so not experienced relentless rain, which seems to be forecast for the next couple of weeks. When I previously walked the CF, I had one day of rain! I’m not sure if I’m fully equipped for the weather, so I may need to make some purchases along the way.
Not strictly a reservation, but it feels weird to be flying into Santiago tonight - normally I only each reach Santiago after at least two weeks of walking. It feels strange to land there, leave there and then walk back there!
Anyway, I’ll be pleased to arrive in Ponferrada and begin another camino adventure!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m on my way to Gatwick Airport to fly to Santiago this evening, embarking on my 3rd camino. Two years ago I walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, and last August I walked from Porto to Santiago.
I was supposed to walk this camino with my mother, but she has a knee injury so I am walking solo, which is how I’ve walked my previous caminos.
We were supposed to walk from Sarria on this camino, as we didn’t think she’d manage to walk much longer than 100km. Now she’s not coming, I’ve extended it to 200km, starting from Ponferrada.
I’m excited to be walking this camino - I enjoy not knowing what each camino will bring….but I also have a few reservations: I’ve always walked in July and August, so not experienced relentless rain, which seems to be forecast for the next couple of weeks. When I previously walked the CF, I had one day of rain! I’m not sure if I’m fully equipped for the weather, so I may need to make some purchases along the way.
Not strictly a reservation, but it feels weird to be flying into Santiago tonight - normally I only each reach Santiago after at least two weeks of walking. It feels strange to land there, leave there and then walk back there!
Anyway, I’ll be pleased to arrive in Ponferrada and begin another camino adventure!
There's a Decathalon in Ponferrada, at Av. de los Escritores, 3 if you think you are missing something.

Good waterproof Jacket / Poncho should keep most of the rain off. Make sure your backpack contents are well protected. Something dry to change into is far more important than staying dry while you're walking.

Enjoy!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There's a Decathalon in Ponferrada, at Av. de los Escritores, 3 if you think you are missing something.

Good waterproof Jacket / Poncho should keep most of the rain off. Make sure your backpack contents are well protected. Something dry to change into is far more important than staying dry while you're walking.

Enjoy!!
Thanks! I have a good poncho and bag protector so maybe I’ll be fine!

Oh blimey! I have lots of layers…hopefully that will suffice…
I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you hit cold weather how quickly your body will warm up when you are walking. When I walk in November I have warmer long sleeve with a hood, an outer layer and a very light (weight wise) down jacket. If it is above freezing without much wind I wear only the long sleeve hoodie and the outer layer. Yes I may start out feeling cold (I also have a beanie and gloves which I think are necessities), but after about 10 minutes I am fine. If it is really cold then I will wear my jacket too.
I would recommend buying a poncho and some really lightweight rain pants. The poncho will keep you and your pack dry. Also if you are still cold with the clothes you broguht your poncho can serve as a really effective and warm outer layer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I arrived at Santiago airport from London just before midnight last night and had a taxi booked to my hotel, close to Santiago de Compostela train station. I had a few hours sleep before heading out this morning. I was originally going to get a train from Santiago to Ponferrada, but I had a message from Renfe saying that the journey was going to be half by bus and half by train - I presume there are engineering works going on. To save the hassle of getting on/off trains and buses, I decided to book a coach from Santiago bus station to Ponferrada, which didn’t involve any changes. The journey was lovely, especially the latter part, with lots of greenery and some snow capped mountain views.
The coach took 4 hours and I arrived in Ponferrada at midday. It has been pouring with rain non-stop since I arrived! I walked around a little bit (trying to remember when I was here 2 years ago but not with much luck!), I’ve had some food and a siesta.
My first day of walking is tomorrow, and the weather forecast looks dry. I’ll be leaving at sunrise, which fortunately, isn’t too early!

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo - 24.2km

I set off at 8.15am today and have had a wonderful walk. I was pleased to get out of Ponferrada and its suburbs - it felt so freeing to be in the countryside with just my bag and my walking poles!
I’ve only ever walked caminos in July/August so wondered whether I’d see many people along the way, but today has been the most sociable 1st day of a camino I’ve ever had! Within about an hour of walking, I had met some wonderful people, all travelling solo, but who have been walking together, some since Saint Jean.
They were warm and welcoming, and I spent much of the day walking with them.
We made a couple of stops for coffee and a snack, one of the places being Cacabelos, where I had fond memories of two years ago, staying in a room with just me, another pilgrim and his gigantic, but friendly dog!
We all took the alternative route through the vineyards into Villafranca, and I’m staying in an old monastery converted into rooms - San Nicolas el Real.
My friends were going to stay in a the public albergue so I said farewell, but 15mins later they turned up here!
I popped out for a massive amount of food - the menu del día at El Padrino. I’m normally quite conservative with my food choices in Spain, so I was pleased to be in and amongst the locals eating pulpo and meatballs!
Having eaten so much food, it’s now time for a siesta - I don’t think I’ll need dinner tonight and I’m quite tired, so I might pass out until the morning!

Day 2: Villafranca del Bierzo to Laguna de Castilla - 25.51km

I found today pretty tough. I was full of confidence as I sailed up O Cebreiro without too much difficulty a couple of years ago, but today, my legs didn’t have 100’s of km experience behind them!
I had leg fatigue quite early on in the day, so I knew it was going to be a tough ascent.
The positives are that the weather is glorious - perfect for walking - clear views, lovely company and great food.
I’m staying with my friends at Albergue La Escuela. I stayed here 2 years ago and loved it. I can’t convey what a relief it was to see the building up ahead.
Although I’m super tried, it’s also a great feeling to be so exhausted - I feel like I’ve really pushed myself to the limit.
We will be eating together in the restaurant and I’m trying to avoid having a siesta as I’d like an early night and a long sleep.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Day 2: Villafranca del Bierzo to Laguna de Castilla - 25.51km

I found today pretty tough. I was full of confidence as I sailed up O Cebreiro without too much difficulty a couple of years ago, but today, my legs didn’t have 100’s of km experience behind them!
I had leg fatigue quite early on in the day, so I knew it was going to be a tough ascent.
The positives are that the weather is glorious - perfect for walking - clear views, lovely company and great food.
I’m staying with my friends at Albergue La Escuela. I stayed here 2 years ago and loved it. I can’t convey what a relief it was to see the building up ahead.
Although I’m super tried, it’s also a great feeling to be so exhausted - I feel like I’ve really pushed myself to the limit.
We will be eating together in the restaurant and I’m trying to avoid having a siesta as I’d like an early night and a long sleep.
Hi @LuisaR… I am staying at Villafranca tonight and am not looking forward to the walk tomorrow. We are staying at Casa Navarro in O Cebriero but I feel that the walk may be too much for me. I had a hard time today. I will be sending my backpack ahead of me to make sure I have no problems with the climb. If you are able please post your review on the places you are staying. I am one day behind you :).

Hi @LuisaR… I am staying at Villafranca tonight and am not looking forward to the walk tomorrow. We are staying at Casa Navarro in O Cebriero but I feel that the walk may be too much for me. I had a hard time today. I will be sending my backpack ahead of me to make sure I have no problems with the climb. If you are able please post your review on the places you are staying. I am one day behind you :).
Hi @cbeckham - the place we are staying is not at the summit - it’s 2km from the top. It’s a wonderful place - dorm rooms and private rooms. Clean and warm with a good restaurant and bar. Good luck tomorrow!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 3: Laguna de Castilla - Triacastela 23.2km

Bed Bugs! I noticed I’d been bitten after my stay in Villafranca but tried to put it to the back of my mind, hoping it was nothing (I’ve had a bedbug scare before on a previous camino), but as the day has gone on, I’ve come out in rows of large puss filled bites, pretty much over every bit of exposed part of my body, including my face! I have informed the albergue but haven’t received any acknowledgement….
I am now sitting in a laundrette in Triacastela blasting everything I own (even my sun glasses case, poncho, purse) in the dryer.
I had to run to the chemist first to get something to soothe the bites as I’m worried they are going to get infected.
We have learnt from pilgrims a day ahead of us about an albergue they stayed in last night in Triacastela also have a bed bug issue - they woke up in a similar state to me.
It’s been a rough day physically and mentally, but I somehow still managed to appreciate the beautiful scenery and lovely friends that I’ve made.
My legs are so, so tired - I didn’t expect this and it’s taught me a lesson that no matter how many caminos you’ve walked (not that I’m a veteran!) you can never be complacent.

Bed Bugs! I noticed I’d been bitten after my stay in Villafranca but tried to put it to the back of my mind, hoping it was nothing (I’ve had a bedbug scare before on a previous camino), but as the day has gone on, I’ve come out in rows of large puss filled bites, pretty much over every bit of exposed part of my body, including my face! I have informed the albergue but haven’t received any acknowledgement….
I am now sitting in a laundrette in Triacastela blasting everything I own (even my sun glasses case, poncho, purse) in the dryer.
I had to run to the chemist first to get something to soothe the bites as I’m worried they are going to get infected.
We have learnt from pilgrims a day ahead of us about an albergue they stayed in last night in Triacastela also have a bed bug issue - they woke up in a similar state to me.
It’s been a rough day physically and mentally, but I somehow still managed to appreciate the beautiful scenery and lovely friends that I’ve made.
My legs are so, so tired - I didn’t expect this and it’s taught me a lesson that no matter how many caminos you’ve walked (not that I’m a veteran!) you can never be complacent.
It happens. It happened to us even in January this year. You're doing the right thing at the laundromat. I would also let La Escuala know as well so they can be sure to check your room from last night. They are so hard to get rid of once they take up residence somewhere.

Will you go to Samos or the other way to Sarria tomorrow?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It happens. It happened to us even in January this year. You're doing the right thing at the laundromat. I would also let La Escuala know as well so they can be sure to check your room from last night. They are so hard to get rid of once they take up residence somewhere.

Will you go to Samos or the other way to Sarria tomorrow?
Thanks so much! I will give my belongings another blast when I get to Santiago.
Last time I went the other way to Sarria as I stayed at a vegan albergue - El Beso in A Balsa. Which is the best way to go or does each have its pros and cons? I haven’t made a plan yet as have been somewhat distracted!!!

I have never walked to Samos, but probably will if I get a chance in the future. We walked the other way to Sarria and it was "meh". Did not stay in Sarria, but off stage in Pintin. Walked on through Sarria to Morgade.

Just take a deep breath. It is a less than wonderful experience to get bedbugs (like blisters, sleepless nights in albergues, walking injuries, etc.), but you'll probably be back to walk again anyway. It is the good with the bad like many life experiences. Maybe have a good cry about it if that is your thing. OK to be mad, annoyed, etc. and then between itching/scratching try to enjoy the Galician springtime. Sounds like there some warm weather headed that way from today's weather report in the newspaper.

I love the detour through samos ! I have done it going one day triacastela to sarria and have also taken two days to do triacastela to sarria .
Heads up that the route via samos leaves the road onto a trail to the right some ways out of triacastela. This spot where you exit the road is not well marked .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

@LuisaR what albergue in Triacastela is having the bed bug problem? Crossing my fingers it is not where I am staying :-(

The place we stayed at in O Cebriero had an ant problem. They got into everything…

Day 4: Triacastela - Sarria 18.2km

It was pouring with rain this morning, and just as we left from breakfast, a hail storm started, so there wasn’t any discussion about which route to take from Triacastela - the shorter route was unanimous.
My morale was really low yesterday - the bed bugs and aching legs were getting me down, but after a good nights sleep (thanks to some red wine and an antihistamine!), I felt great today, despite the weather!
Lots of us went out for a meal last night which was great fun - I love meeting people from all around the world on my camino travels.

Fortunately, it only rained for half of our journey today - not that I was too fussed, but I definitely prefer dryer weather! It was a beautiful walk through forests and the hills.

A few people have walked past Sarria which i can understand, firstly because it’s Sarria (!) and also it was a relatively short day, but it has made one of my friends sad as it’s her camino family who have walked on, and she’s been with them since St Jean.

Bedbug update: they are now puss filled blisters and look awful, especially the ones on my face, but the medication is making them less itchy.
I looked at reviews for the accommodation I picked these up in, and despite it having a very good score on booking.com, if you dig a bit deeper, people have been complaining about bedbugs there since last year.
They haven’t responded to my message, so it seems they want to ignore the issue.

I’m off out now to meet a friend and find some food in Sarria.

@LuisaR what albergue in Triacastela is having the bed bug problem? Crossing my fingers it is not where I am staying :-(

The place we stayed at in O Cebriero had an ant problem. They got into everything…
I’m afraid I don’t know the name! It was message sent to a friend from pilgrims who were a day ahead of us and I didn’t catch the name - I just knew it wasn’t the one I was in!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 4: Triacastela - Sarria 18.2km

It was pouring with rain this morning, and just as we left from breakfast, a hail storm started, so there wasn’t any discussion about which route to take from Triacastela - the shorter route was unanimous.
My morale was really low yesterday - the bed bugs and aching legs were getting me down, but after a good nights sleep (thanks to some red wine and an antihistamine!), I felt great today, despite the weather!
Lots of us went out for a meal last night which was great fun - I love meeting people from all around the world on my camino travels.

Fortunately, it only rained for half of our journey today - not that I was too fussed, but I definitely prefer dryer weather! It was a beautiful walk through forests and the hills.

A few people have walked past Sarria which i can understand, firstly because it’s Sarria (!) and also it was a relatively short day, but it has made one of my friends sad as it’s her camino family who have walked on, and she’s been with them since St Jean.

Bedbug update: they are now puss filled blisters and look awful, especially the ones on my face, but the medication is making them less itchy.
I looked at reviews for the accommodation I picked these up in, and despite it having a very good score on booking.com, if you dig a bit deeper, people have been complaining about bedbugs there since last year.
They haven’t responded to my message, so it seems they want to ignore the issue.

I’m off out now to meet a friend and find some food in Sarria.
It can take a lot to get them under control and the minute you do, a pilgrim may walk in and bring them again. They can hide under wallpaper, in ceilings, where pipes go into the wall, in a Crack in the floor or wall, etc and evade fumigation attempts.

It's one reason I like to stay in the nonfussy places with plastic mattress covers, metal bunk beds, disposable sheets and very Spartan on decor and soft furnishings. Easier to inspect, use a superheated steam gun and vacuum if needed. Another reason not to have albergue blankets either.

Enjoy the final days of your walk. I imagine a green Galicia. It's snowing here today in Wyoming and I'd love to be where you are.

Day 5: Sarria - Portomarin 21.9km

I’d forgotten how beautiful the walk is from Sarria. It was a really sunny day today, and being out in the green hills and blue skies was really magical.
There are many more pilgrims around, as to be expected, but it’s far more pleasant than my experience of walking in August.
Not a huge amount to report: I’m tired but not excessively, slight heat rash on my feet - that’s because it was hot today and I’ve got boots on. I miss my Teva sandals that I normally walk in! I didn’t think the weather would be appropriate for them.
This is the first camino I have walked where I have consistently stuck to ‘main’ stages - when I walked the CF previously, I deliberately avoided the guidebook stops. I’m enjoying the different towns to stay in, and mixing with more pilgrims.
Bedbug bites are still going strong - lovely large yellow boil/blisters. I’m desperate for the ones on my face to go as I look ridiculous….

Day 6: Portomarin - Palas de Rei 24.3km

A tough day in the strong winds, heavy rain and cold.
We left at 7.15am, still dark, raining. I managed to persuade my camino buddy to have breakfast at the next stop in Gonzar as I was keen to get going.
As I was waiting for my coffee, I saw a man outside putting my poncho on! I ran outside and asked him what he was doing, and he had accidentally picked mine up - he was utterly mortified. He even popped back into the restaurant to apologise for a second time!
When we reached Ligonde it was pouring, and we were invited into Albergue Fuente del Peregrino for a hot drink and toilet which had just been cleaned - we couldn’t resist, and the volunteers there were so kind and welcoming.
On we went, in really heavy rain which eventually just got too much - we’d had enough! We stopped in Lestodo for lunch and had to really pull ourselves together. We left the restaurant in positive spirits, only 5km to go, and the rain had calmed down. We did a fast stomp to Palas de Rei, and now looking forward to a hot shower and a good rest!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 7: Palas de Rei - Arzua 28.9km

I rarely walk further than 25km on my camino travels, but knew that if I paced myself well and the weather wasn’t horrendous, I’d manage today’s distance with ease.
It was a beautiful day of walking - the sun shone but it was crisp, fresh and misty this morning.
I had convinced my camino friend to go at an easy pace and to have lots of breaks. We had breakfast at a stop in Casanova, a brief sit down a few km’s on, drinks and a long rest in Melide, and lunch in Boente. After a brief final drink stop in Ribadiso, we made the final ascent into Arzua.
My friend fell over twice today - leaving her albergue in the dark she misjudged a step, and on our walk today she managed to land in the mud! Luckily she wasn’t injured and we both saw the funny side.
Another friend has blisters from wet socks/shoes after the very wet weather yesterday, so she said a tearful goodbye to us in Melide, where she’s going to rest-up until she can walk again.
I had lots of energy today and my legs feel strong. It wasn’t until I lay down on my bed on arrival in Arzua that exhaustion has hit me - I haven’t moved since I got here!

I rarely walk further than 25km on my camino travels, but knew that if I paced myself well and the weather wasn’t horrendous, I’d manage today’s distance with ease.
It was a beautiful day of walking - the sun shone but it was crisp, fresh and misty this morning.
I had convinced my camino friend to go at an easy pace and to have lots of breaks. We had breakfast at a stop in Casanova, a brief sit down a few km’s on, drinks and a long rest in Melide, and lunch in Boente. After a brief final drink stop in Ribadiso, we made the final ascent into Arzua.
My friend fell over twice today - leaving her albergue in the dark she misjudged a step, and on our walk today she managed to land in the mud! Luckily she wasn’t injured and we both saw the funny side.
Another friend has blisters from wet socks/shoes after the very wet weather yesterday, so she said a tearful goodbye to us in Melide, where she’s going to rest-up until she can walk again.
I had lots of energy today and my legs feel strong. It wasn’t until I lay down on my bed on arrival in Arzua that exhaustion has hit me - I haven’t moved since I got here!
If you are not vegan, be sure to have some Arzua cheese! Yum!

Thanks for this. I will be doing this distance when I walk in May and have been a bit nervous about it. Your post has helped me enormously. I will make sure I take plenty of breaks and was planning on a long stop in Melide.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 8: Arzua - O Pedrouzo 19.1km

My camino buddy overslept so I set out on my own, in the dark. When I previously walked the CF, this was a common occurrence. I walked it in the summer, so due to scorching temperatures by midday, it was necessary to leave really early.
This morning was my first ‘dark and alone’ experience, and I have to say, it does make me a little on edge. The alone bit is fine, but not paired with the dark…and a forest.
By the time I got to the first coffee stop it was light, and I waited for my friend to catch-up.
It was a wonderful walk, we both enjoyed the scenery immensely. The weather is glorious.
Walking 19km after yesterday’s 28km seemed so easy, and we were very relaxed and chirpy!
I do have a few physical ailments: the bedbug bites are healing quite well, but now I have other bites (mosquito?) on my arms, feet and ankles, a raging red heat rash on my feet and ankles, and warty, blistery lumps on my hand - it seems to be an allergic reaction to the heat! I’m not in too much pain, but am slightly alarmed at how terrible I look! This was supposed to be a 9 day ‘easy’ camino - I didn’t suffer this much when I walked for weeks on end from St Jean!
We are going to leave really tomorrow as we are too excited to reach Santiago to hang around in O Pedrouzo. We’ll take it easy and have our usual amount of stops, but all an hour earlier than normal.

Day 9: O Pedrouzo - Santiago de Compostela 19.4km

We left at 6.15am this morning, and a flashlight was very necessary to navigate through the forest in the pitch black!
I was so eager to get to Santiago, but tried hard to stay in the moment and enjoy the final stage.
We stopped for breakfast in San Paio and another drinks stop at Barrio San Lazaro.
I was quite emotional when reaching Santiago - I think more so for my camino friend, who has walked all the way from St Jean. I easily recalled the overwhelming feelings of accomplishment having walked so, so far.
We were greeted by some camino friends in Plaza del Obradoiro - it was great to see them again.
For the first time, I’m staying in the heart of the old city, very close to the cathedral and I love it!

I need to buy some flip flops as it’s really warm and my trainers shrunk in the tumble dryer during bedbug-gate.

This has been a wonderful camino. Although I have missed walking a longer distance, I have learnt a huge amount in walking for just 9 days.

Until next time…..

Day 9: O Pedrouzo - Santiago de Compostela 19.4km

We left at 6.15am this morning, and a flashlight was very necessary to navigate through the forest in the pitch black!
I was so eager to get to Santiago, but tried hard to stay in the moment and enjoy the final stage.
We stopped for breakfast in San Paio and another drinks stop at Barrio San Lazaro.
I was quite emotional when reaching Santiago - I think more so for my camino friend, who has walked all the way from St Jean. I easily recalled the overwhelming feelings of accomplishment having walked so, so far.
We were greeted by some camino friends in Plaza del Obradoiro - it was great to see them again.
For the first time, I’m staying in the heart of the old city, very close to the cathedral and I love it!

I need to buy some flip flops as it’s really warm and my trainers shrunk in the tumble dryer during bedbug-gate.

This has been a wonderful camino. Although I have missed walking a longer distance, I have learnt a huge amount in walking for just 9 days.

Until next time…..
Thank you for your daily updates! I am one day behind you and will be completing my first Camino tomorrow. I would have loved to have walked the whole Camino but alas.. the reality is I only had a limited amount of dates. So after 12 days, starting from Leon, I will be ending my walk tomorrow. Thank you again! I enjoyed your daily updates!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for your daily updates! I am one day behind you and will be completing my first Camino tomorrow. I would have loved to have walked the whole Camino but alas.. the reality is I only had a limited amount of dates. So after 12 days, starting from Leon, I will be ending my walk tomorrow. Thank you again! I enjoyed your daily updates!
Thanks @cbeckham - I hope you’ve had a great camino! Walking from Leon is amazing - well done!

I arrived at Santiago airport from London just before midnight last night and had a taxi booked to my hotel, close to Santiago de Compostela train station. I had a few hours sleep before heading out this morning. I was originally going to get a train from Santiago to Ponferrada, but I had a message from Renfe saying that the journey was going to be half by bus and half by train - I presume there are engineering works going on. To save the hassle of getting on/off trains and buses, I decided to book a coach from Santiago bus station to Ponferrada, which didn’t involve any changes. The journey was lovely, especially the latter part, with lots of greenery and some snow capped mountain views.
The coach took 4 hours and I arrived in Ponferrada at midday. It has been pouring with rain non-stop since I arrived! I walked around a little bit (trying to remember when I was here 2 years ago but not with much luck!), I’ve had some food and a siesta.
My first day of walking is tomorrow, and the weather forecast looks dry. I’ll be leaving at sunrise, which fortunately, isn’t too early!
I’m walking from Samos in May. I’m also staying at a hotel near the bus stop and yes it does feel odd flying into Santiago and that is why I’m not venturing into the city. I’m bussing out to Samos. Your posts have made me even more excited. Have a great Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back