• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One (water) bottle to rule them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said recent debate made me think of it again:

Basically, it's a kit that turns a standard Nalgene bottle (and other kinds of bottles) into a hydration system via a lid adapter and drinking hose. I think the main reason why the eternal water bottle vs. hydration bladder debate is so, well, eternal is that there are valid and practical reasons for preferring one or the other. I've always considered myself firmly in the Nalgene/external water bottle camp — but then I'll read a thoroughly convincing argument for water bladders (like this one that @davebugg posted in the thread that got me thinking about all this again) and I'll start to seriously consider making the switch.

It looks like the One Bottle system might be an answer to that dilemma. One of the main reasons I prefer a Nalgene/external water bottle is for ease of hydration when I'm not walking. I can use it while I'm flying or training to my destination, easily transfer it from my main pack to my day pack on my rest days/post-Camino travels, and keep it by my bed in case I get thirsty in the middle of the night — three use cases for which a water bladder might be impractical or awkward. (I know I could always pack a Vapur or Platypus collapsible bottle for those purposes, but one less thing in my pack is one less thing to worry about.) The One Bottle system would let me drink out of my trusty Nalgene while I'm walking without having to remove my pack, and I'd be able to take it off at the end of the day so I can keep what my partner calls my "emotional support water bottle" with me at all times.

The only mention I've seen in these forums about it was this post by @Tickbush last month, but it seems like something many of us on here would find useful. Anyone have any thoughts (or better, actual experience) with something like this before I shell out $35 to order one?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a similar tube and bottle system on my first Camino with a Platypus collapsible bottle. At first I kept it in the side pocket of my backpack, but in Kate August/early September it warmed up quickly there, so I moved the bottle to the inside of my pack and realized that I was basically using a Camelback type hydration system. The next year I got a proper hydration bladder.

I used a similar tube and bottle system on my first Camino with a Platypus collapsible bottle. At first I kept it in the side pocket of my backpack, but in Kate August/early September it warmed up quickly there, so I moved the bottle to the inside of my pack and realized that I was basically using a Camelback type hydration system. The next year I got a proper hydration bladder.

Sure, I get that — but what did you use for drinking when you weren't wearing your pack? As I explained in my post, what intrigues me about this system is that it enables one water bottle to do double duty both during and after walking every day. (I'm not so much concerned with my water bottle heating up — I find water eventually gets warm no matter where I keep my bottle.)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camelback do a similar tube attachment for their Eddy bottles. They work really well. One of the big pluses of having a water bottle outside your pack is ease of access for top ups as you come across fountains. Frequent refreshes give you constant cool water.

This has nothing to do with bottle vs bladder, but with how to have cold water throughout the day.
When walking in great heat, I use two water bladders (good quality ones): at the end of the day I put one in the refrigerator and one in the freezer.

The first half of the day the refrigerated one is nice and cool. The second half of the day the frozen one will be defrostes, but still cool.

This served me well when I was walking the Via de la Plata in August (and finding out that 'nearly autumn' doesn't apply to the Extremadura).

Could work with bottles too?

Probably an unpopular take, but I find many people overthink water and water bottles. If you’re walking the CF you are almost always within a couple km of water. I bought a small 500ml bottle of water when I arrived and carried that and refilled it. And on many days I barely touched the water I was carrying. I drank coffee and orange juice along the way, and often a bottle of Aquarius, or had a drink of water at a fountain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Probably an unpopular take, but I find many people overthink water and water bottles. If you’re walking the CF you are almost always within a couple km of water. I bought a small 500ml bottle of water when I arrived and carried that and refilled it. And on many days I barely touched the water I was carrying. I drank coffee and orange juice along the way, and often a bottle of Aquarius, or had a drink of water at a fountain.
Yep my take too. Just like the mythical perfect shoe that never causes any person on the planet a blister

Well, there are many Camino routes where you can't count on water being available en route. When my brand new water bladder started leaking in my backpack on a recent trek overseas, I wished I had a tube to convert a normal water bottle into a hydration system; I had no idea such a thing already existed! I missed my water bladder terribly on that hike because having to take off my pack each time I wanted to drink meant I drank a lot less than I should have. $35 is not a lot and seems like a good investment, provided you trust the website. If you do end up getting one, let us know how you go!

Yep my take too. Just like the mythical perfect shoe that never causes any person on the planet a blister
I get a "brand new" water bottle when I buy a 500ml Pepsi...a purchase I only have to make once.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I get a "brand new" water bottle when I buy a 500ml Pepsi...a purchase I only have to make once.

Right, and I've had my "brand new" Nalgene bottle for almost a decade now — it really is a buy-it-for-life kind of thing, which is why I like Nalgenes so much.

What I'm considering here is a kit that converts that Nalgene into something I can use without having to remove it from my pack every time I want to drink. (The same company also makes conversion kits for recycled bottled water/soft drink containers, so you'd be able to convert your Pepsi bottle as well.)

Last edited:

“I bought a small 500ml bottle of water when I arrived and carried that and refilled it.“.
I like ths solution as well!
I ended up buying 2 half liter square (disposable ) waters, and just kept refilling the bottles and I always had at least one fresh one ready to go after I emptied the other you were always within an hour or two of the next ‘fuente’ they were heavier duty plastic and lasted three weeks. No problem. My backpack had an elastic pocket on both sides, that I could simply reached behind me to access either bottle.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Not an unpopular take — I think a lot of us (myself included) overthink a lot of Camino logistics, which is why this forum is so helpful.

I'm not worried about running out of water, since I know from my own walk that refilling bottles along the way is easy. I'm only considering the issue of using something that will preclude me from having to take off my pack every time I want a sip or glug of water. The side pockets on the pack I use are high, which means I can't remove a bottle from them easily without removing my whole pack. A system that lets me drink out of a water bottle without having to remove my pack seems like a perfect solution for me.

I like these. Just refill the bottles. They stay in place and that can also be used for phone or glasses.

That's a great solution for on-the-go hydration as well, especially since SmartWater bottles are so lightweight (which is why they're so popular on longer thru-hikes like the AC or PCT.) Thanks for the suggestion!

I have my preference (500 ml bottles x 2; add bottles before walking stages without regular watering points).

BUT I think what is MORE important is to ask, 'What approach will encourage me to drink regularly?' Personally, I do not love the Platypus for the variety of inconveniences associated with them, so I stopped using mine. However, when they became popular ~20 years ago, an army infantry officer told me they were a gamechanger in the field. The water tube, being easily accessed, encouraged his soldiers to drink more of it and more often. So I certainly see the advantages. Thus, I humbly suggest that finding what works for you and so long as your system keeps you hydrated, then go for it.

But but but Jarrad, you said you use bottles, and little ones at that!? Yes, I prefer my water cold (have you seen how much ice we Americans use in our beverages?) and I certainly drink more of it when it is at least close to the "correct" temperature (37.41776 degrees in Freedom Units ;) ). I am diligent about planning refills, and I can carry less weight ( and of course this depends on dependable access to refills, so not a great solution of all stages of the CdF and other routes). I also like the ritual of regularly refilling my adorable little bottles.

Question for a separate thread: 'If you have not refilled at the Fontaine de Roland, can you even call yourself a pilgrim?' ... ... ... Just kidding!!! 😆

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I prefer my water cold (have you seen how much ice we Americans use in our beverages?) and I certainly drink more of it when it is at least close to the "correct" temperature (37.41776 degrees in Freedom Units ;) ).

As a fellow American, I share your preference for cold water! Which is another reason I love my wide-mouth Nalgene: filling it with ice + water is very easy. (Providing one has access to large quantities of ice, that is, which I know isn't always an option when traveling :)

I use this :

800-mahou-classic-vidrio-1-litro-6-unidades-3-3152.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like these. Just refill the bottles. They stay in place and that can also be used for phone or glasses.
link please. I am searching for a glasses solution. (Far sighted and don't like wearing my progressives when I need to look down at my footing and prefer not to wear them if I don't actively need them. But I need a good place to access them easily and quickly.)

While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said recent debate made me think of it again:

Basically, it's a kit that turns a standard Nalgene bottle (and other kinds of bottles) into a hydration system via a lid adapter and drinking hose. I think the main reason why the eternal water bottle vs. hydration bladder debate is so, well, eternal is that there are valid and practical reasons for preferring one or the other. I've always considered myself firmly in the Nalgene/external water bottle camp — but then I'll read a thoroughly convincing argument for water bladders (like this one that @davebugg posted in the thread that got me thinking about all this again) and I'll start to seriously consider making the switch.

It looks like the One Bottle system might be an answer to that dilemma. One of the main reasons I prefer a Nalgene/external water bottle is for ease of hydration when I'm not walking. I can use it while I'm flying or training to my destination, easily transfer it from my main pack to my day pack on my rest days/post-Camino travels, and keep it by my bed in case I get thirsty in the middle of the night — three use cases for which a water bladder might be impractical or awkward. (I know I could always pack a Vapur or Platypus collapsible bottle for those purposes, but one less thing in my pack is one less thing to worry about.) The One Bottle system would let me drink out of my trusty Nalgene while I'm walking without having to remove my pack, and I'd be able to take it off at the end of the day so I can keep what my partner calls my "emotional support water bottle" with me at all times.

The only mention I've seen in these forums about it was this post by @Tickbush last month, but it seems like something many of us on here would find useful. Anyone have any thoughts (or better, actual experience) with something like this before I shell out $35 to order one?
Surely just the rebirth of the old Blue Desert Smartube?

Which have been around for years and years

Attachments

• ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 22
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 25
Surely just the rebirth of the old Blue Desert Smartube?

Yup, seems like pretty much the same idea as the One Bottle adapter. Doesn't look like it's still in production, alas - though its Amazon page recommends this as a substitution: https://www.amazon.com/Source-Tactical-Convertube-Bottle-Adapter/dp/B00W9O2Q0W/?tag=casaivar02-20

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yup, seems like pretty much the same idea as the One Bottle adapter. Doesn't look like it's still in production, alas - though its Amazon page recommends this as a substitution: https://www.amazon.com/Source-Tactical-Convertube-Bottle-Adapter/dp/B00W9O2Q0W/?tag=casaivar02-20
The biggest problem I found was keeping the tube clean inside - it had a tendency to go manky if anything other than water was used - I like to flavour my water with squirt of concentrated fruit squash.

The biggest problem I found was keeping the tube clean inside - it had a tendency to go manky if anything other than water was used - I like to flavour my water with squirt of concentrated fruit squash.
Same here - I have even been known to top off what's in my water bottle with a can of Aquarius every now and again. I suppose keeping the hose clean is something to be aware of with any hydration system, though, whether it's bladder- or bottle-based — a trade-off, perhaps, for the convenience of not having to remove one's pack to reach one's water bottle.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anytime you add anything other than fresh, clean water to a bladder or bottle you risk issues with bacteria growing in it. With a tube system, whether bladder or bottle you should never add anything to the water.

For the past 5 or more years I walk with my soft camelback water bottle with a similar hose adapter applied to top of the water bottle. Ie u remove the blue top u suck out of and push the hose in its place. It has to be the camel back water bottle that has the straw down the centre so u dont tip it up when u drink mearly suck! With this system I use the hose version when hiking and replace the hose with the blue top when walking around the towns etc or out at night. I hope this long ramble is self explanatory.

Anytime you add anything other than fresh, clean water to a bladder or bottle you risk issues with bacteria growing in it. With a tube system, whether bladder or bottle you should never add anything to the water.
Well I know that now . . . . ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really like this picture. Clean looking, easy access and no tubes to deal with.
Screenshot_20240415-175955~2.png

I used this waist bag on the Via Podiensis when I walked with two girlfriends. It didn't hold a real tall bottle, but the amount of water it held was very adequate and I never ran out before more water was available. I still carried a backup extra smart water bottle on one side of my pack, but don't recall needing to use it.
Screenshot_20240415-180628~2.png

I really like this picture. Clean looking, easy access and no tubes to deal with.
View attachment 167970

I used this waist bag on the Via Podiensis when I walked with two girlfriends. It didn't hold a real tall bottle, but the amount of water it held was very adequate and I never ran out before more water was available. I still carried a backup extra smart water bottle on one side of my pack, but don't recall needing to use it.
View attachment 167971

Thanks for sharing that! I somehow forgot that thing things like water bottle pouches that attach to the front straps of a backpack or waist pack are another option for solving the I-can't-reach-my-water-bottle-in-the-side-pocket-of-my-backpack (hereafter referred to as ICRMWBITSPOFB for short) problem. But of course there are a lot of them to choose from, as an Amazon search for "water bottle holder for backpack" turned up just now:

There are many, many cross body water bottle holders as well:

So, plenty of options for easier water bottle access, most of them less expensive than the One Bottle (which I'm still considering, but maybe less so after reading some of the responses on this thread.) Thanks all!

If you’re walking the CF you are almost always within a couple km of water.
I hope no-one takes this advice seriously - it just doesn't pass the pub test. You might perhaps be within a kilometre or so of some untested pond, gutter or stream, but always being that close to potable water? Not likely! I did some calculations a few years ago, when nearly 40% of locations were over an hour (or 5 km) away from where you have just left. There were many over two hours away, and some over three hours (or 15 km).

Any reasonable guide will have details of these longer sections. There is no reason not to be prepared for them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, sorry I've not read all the responses, but I had the Camelbak version that attached to the Eddy bottles for my Camino Portugues last July, as well as on various other hikes. I think they are brilliant!

I definitely drink (sip) more water when I have the hose, despite being flexy enough to get a bottle out of my bag without taking it off. And yes, you can probably pick up bottles of water pretty readily along the way, but the hose is just kind of a reminder to me as I'm going along.

I have never really been in the bladder camp, but I do really rate the hose, haha!

Unfortunately Camelbak are no longer making the hoses (probably why I got it so cheap!) and their bottle lids have changed a bit since, but if you can get something that works with something you already own, I would go for it!

I hope no-one takes this advice seriously - it just doesn't pass the pub test. You might perhaps be within a kilometre or so of some untested pond, gutter or stream, but always being that close to potable water? Not likely! I did some calculations a few years ago, when nearly 40% of locations were over an hour (or 5 km) away from where you have just left. There were many over two hours away, and some over three hours (or 15 km).

Any reasonable guide will have details of these longer sections. There is no reason not to be prepared for them.
I'm not sure how many times the guidebook said that a fountain was just up ahead only to find that it wasn't working or had a sign marking it "non potable."

I burned through water on my Camino, especially during the early days. Half a liter might get some people through the day, but that probably wouldn't get me through the first two hours of walking. Even if you are within a couple kilometers of water, those will be two of the most miserable kilometers if you need a drink.

Yep Agree with this statement did similar on both Caminos I did

I used Vapor folding bottles. I brought 2 as they are super lightweight, but only filled needed to fill one and refill throughout the day. They are also durable. I am still using mine 8 years later. https://www.vapur.us/

I didn't mean for this thread to become yet another water bottle vs. bladder debate - the purpose was to discuss a solution that combines the two, which is what the One Bottle system does (as do other hybrid systems like the SmarTube and Camelbak bottle adapters.) Mods, maybe close this thread since the original topic has been exhausted?

I plan to use a similar system by Source Tactical Gear called the Convertube Hydration System. I use a bladder by Souce so it compatible with accessories and it has a number of different bottle, adapters.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good point Jack. I use a water bottle buckle with 500 ml to 1.5 L water bottle and the occasional 1 or 1.5 litre bottle of Aquarius.

Hydration bladders weigh 5.4 to 8.4 ounces. Collapsable water bottles weigh 2.7 to 5.3 ounces. Reusable water bottles weigh 0.43 to 0.5 ounces.

Reusable water bottles are more hygienic. No hoses, no valves, and no other parts to sanitize.

This thread was started to bring attention to a newish tube system for bottles. Since there are already many threads on the bottle vs bladder debate, this one will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.