• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino Conundrum

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I learnt something in this area lately.

Some Spanish friends visited Aotearoa New Zealand recently and they told me that they were deliberately having an unplanned trip.

They brought a dice with them and each morning they made a list of possibilities of things to do and places to go within a reasonable distance and either rolled the dice when there were multiple choices or flipped a coin if there were two choices.

I tried hard to let them know about special places that were alternatives to well known tourist traps and initially I found it very frustrating as I watched from afar as they bounced around, sometimes going to the place that I recommended but more often ending up at someplace listed on a tourist website or top 30 must see list posted by an Instagram influencer.

Eventually though, I accepted that they were doing it their way for their own reasons and when we met up towards the end of their trip and discussed their experiences they had lots of stories and had thoroughly enjoyed their trip.

Who knows if they would have had a "better" experience if they had always taken my advice based on local experience or if they had researched the possibilities to the Nth degree and planned each activity of each day.

They had the trip that they had and they enjoyed it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It depends on one's intentions. Always good to have some information and knowledge, but people differ with their level of comfort with uncertainty. I am leaving on May 22nd on my first Camino, with some knowledge but also trust that it will unfold as it should.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

This is only my opinion and suggestion and if you don't agree or like it that is fine and dandy. It will not bother me in the least. For days we have been seeing posts about too many pilgrims...
Been back for a week from the Camono Primitivo, my heart is full of overwhelming gratefulness for this experience, but also full of disappointment. On one side, I enjoyed a beautiful and...
Good day, I am new on the Forum. Exciting! I am planning to dedicate 10-12 days to the Camino. I am leaning towards the Del Norte route but want to end in Santiago. With limited time, it made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back