Search 69,459 Camino Questions

spanish

mieke

Time of past OR future Camino
porto-compostella august 2008
oviedo - compostella april 2015
hey all

as I read English is not really spoken along the Camino,
has anyone a list of usefull spanish sentences or a suggestion of a small booklet?

thx

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there,
There was a list in the Brierley's guidebook. I'll have a rummage and see if I can take pics of it.

No idea if it reads ok but maybe someone else will come along with a better idea.
Buen camino.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 23
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hey all

has anyone a list of usefull spanish sentences or a suggestion of a small booklet?

thx
Hi,

English is mostly spoken among pilgrims but it's very usefull and also very polite to know some basic phrases in Spanish. This might help:
http://www.linguanaut.com/english_spanish.htm

Ultreia!

hey all

thx
Hi Mieke, Three things:
1. There is a book called Camino Lingo. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ACMBHTY/?tag=casaivar02-20
2. SYates started an online multilingual camino spreadsheet. People are adding phrases and translations in a number of languages. SY is on the forum -- If you message her she can tell you how to find the spreadsheet.
3. There are a number of translation apps you can find if you are carrying a smartphone or tablet.

Liz

You will greatly benefit if you can speak a little Espanol. It will also be polite and respectful, IMHO. In rural areas people will only steask Espanol. It is very fun when you learn some, and it will ease your day. There are some cheatsheets posted on this forum, but I can't remember where. Do a few searches.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, there are a number of short phrases that can lead to a more interesting relationship with the Spanish people you may meet.

When talking to a young man who is a Spanish local and wishing to say how pleasant you find the countryside
su hermana tiene un corte de pelo como un burro

If you want to compliment a bar owner on their pilgrim menu
Esta comida sabe como un loro muerto

Say goodnight this way to everyone in a loud and clear voice when the lights go out in the refugio, they will appreciate it
Voy a dispararle en la cara la primera persona en pedo o roncar esta noche, Buen Camino

Using phrases such as these will enhance your pilgrim experience - in fact, I can guarantee that it will make your pilgrimage unforgettable

(p.s. you may want to check the spellings on Google translator)

Yes, there are a number of short phrases that can lead to a more interesting relationship with the Spanish people you may meet.

When talking to a young man who is a Spanish local and wishing to say how pleasant you find the countryside

Say goodnight this way to everyone in a loud and clear voice when the lights go out in the refugio, they will appreciate it
Voy a dispararle en la cara la primera persona en pedo o roncar esta noche, Buen Camino

Using phrases such as these will enhance your pilgrim experience - in fact, I can guarantee that it will make your pilgrimage unforgettable

LOL David!!! Yes, I can imagine these phrases would result in an unforgettable experience!! Must make a note to try them....

Duolingo is a handy (& free) app for learning Spanish.
Suzanne :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree with Liz, Camino Lingo is a good little book, very handy and easy to use.
Jacki.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Evil, David. Evil.:)

Hehehe. Oh dear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@David - that reminds me of J K Jerome's 'Three Men on the Bummel' who tried out their phrase book with hilarious results, or an episode of Monty Python. :)
Amazon had a book of Spanish jokes with alternatives - just put 'Spanish jokes' into the search box in the Kindle store and there are several choices. They won't lead you into trouble like David's.

I maintain a library of, and recommend the Berlitz phrase books with complimentary CD ROM. The CD provides advance practice in understanding the spoken word, and composing simple questions to ask for things.

I "rip" the CD-ROM to my iPod as mp3 "songs" so I can practice whenever I want, especially on the long flight and when on trains or intercity buses. The accompanying phrase book is very helpful and fits in a pants cargo pocket.

Over 40 years of traveling globally I have accumulated quite a language library. Other than French, Dutch, and of course English, I cannot speak at more than a tourist level capability. But, even this I consider a basic courtesy when visiting a new country. Japanese pilgrims on the Camino always freak out when I greet them in their native language with an appropriate bow.

I hope this helps...

David - you've excelled yourself! Absolutely hilarious and very entertaining!
Cheers! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back