• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

mixte frame mountain bikes

malingerer

samarkand
Time of past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
Anyone used one of these on the camino? I am getting more crippled with arthritis this winter and harboured dreams of cycling instead of walking. previously posted on "buying a touring bike in Sevilla". The hard fact of life at the moment is I simply cannot throw my leg over the frame! no lewd comments please! :) I believe I could hire a "ladies " bike but am now tempted to see if I could buy a used one here in UK. The damned Veedlepee just wont let go!
Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas too!

Vay con Dios

The Malingerer

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anyone used one of these on the camino? I am getting more crippled with arthritis this winter and harboured dreams of cycling instead of walking. previously posted on "buying a touring bike in Sevilla". The hard fact of life at the moment is I simply cannot throw my leg over the frame! no lewd comments please! :) I believe I could hire a "ladies " bike but am now tempted to see if I could buy a used one here in UK. The damned Veedlepee just wont let go!
Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas too!

Vay con Dios

The Malingerer

Maybe something like this ....https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ENH029K/?tag=casaivar-21 ,,,,would be worth thinking about .

The advantages of a folding bike are of course obvious when it comes to getting to Seville from the U K by public transport .

I have just got back from Cycling the V d P from Seville to Salamanca . I thought about all the problems of taking a full size bike on buses and trains , plus my luggage, and in the end i opted for a hire bike in Seville . The hire charges ( 300 Euros ) were more than 2 times what i paid for my own bike ( 125 euros ).
I will be continuing the V d P from Salamanca early next year and am again in the situation of deciding if to take my own bike or not :( .
I will be looking into buying a folding bike ......if i do , i will let you know how i get on with it .

Hola @Jony - it does appear to tick a few of the boxes (especially the transport issues). It does not appear to be suitable to a pack-rack, however a smallish daypack and a front handlebar bag might solve this issue. Or does the "backpack transfer" system operate on the VLDP? Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband had a quick ride on a very smart folding bike last weekend. It was lots of fun and seemed quite sturdy, and great for folding up and carrying.

His negative comment was that the wheels are small, which would make the bike more likely to cartwheel if it hit a large stone or rock.

Anyone used one of these on the camino?
I will be looking into buying a folding bike ......if i do , i will let you know how i get on with it .

Hi Maligerer and joni.
For what it's worth... I'm with you both. I have badly arthritic knees and I'm 71. I too have the problem of getting a leg over the cross bar on a standard MTB, and I'm useless at walking, but can pedal at a a leisurely pace for hours. Pushing a bike up mountains though can be torture, so I'm getting pretty obsessed with weight.
I've done four bike caminos. The first was from Sevilla to Santiago on a hired bike from Triana backpackers. A very good, sturdy but quite heavy bike. The cross bar was a problem, and I fell over a couple of times when I couldn't get my leg over quickly enough, and gravity took over. I was a few years younger, though.
So my second camino, (Madrid to Santiago), I bought a Dahon folding bike, which I flew with from Australia. I had to modify it a bit; more rugged tyres, and a smaller chainring to give me a lower gear ratio for climbing. The real convenience of this bike, apart from the obvious advantage when it comes to buses, trains and planes, was the simple step through to get on the bike, great! The disadvantage is that the smaller wheels, 20 inch, are, not as efficient, but I adapted. Also the steering is a bit skittish until you get used to it, but it was fun to ride, and I made it over the mountains.
Things were more complicated for my third camino, (St Jean to Santiago). I had left the Dahon in Ireland with my son, who had decided to accompany me for part of the Frances. He flew in to Biarritz with the Dahon, and we bought a second hand MTB for him in France. So I rode the leg from St Jean to Burgos on the Dahon again. Because he was relatively young and fit, he carried some of my baggage. I don't know if I would have made it over the Route Napoleon with a full load. It involved a lot of pushing going up that mountain. I have my doubts.
We swapped bikes when he left (with the Dahon),for Ireland from Burgos. So the rest of the Frances, I rode the MTB, which was an interesting contrast because it had 29 inch wheels, and boy did I notice a difference; (the Meseta was a breeze). But the weight of bike and bags proved too much for me getting up to O Cebreiro, and (don't tell anybody) I had to admit defeat and take a taxi!
I hired again in Triana last year for the VdlP, but only went as far as Plasencia, so no big climbs.
Next year, I intend to finish the VdlP, and am intending something different. I have bought a Scott carbon hybrid, which I intend to fly with. It weighs about 10kg, and this should make a big difference. It has an angled-down cross bar so the step through is not really an issue.
I should mention that I tend to mix in quite a bit of road riding, and avoid the more tricky walkers trails.... I'm a realist.
I'll find a picture of the loaded Dahon and post it in a few minutes.

His negative comment was that the wheels are small, which would make the bike more likely to cartwheel if it hit a large stone or rock.

I didn't have any problem with that, but then I didn't attempt any tricky rocky descents.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's a better photo. Not much baggage ...my son has most of it.

IMG_3250-1.PNG

Hola @Jony - it does appear to tick a few of the boxes (especially the transport issues). It does not appear to be suitable to a pack-rack, however a smallish daypack and a front handlebar bag might solve this issue. Or does the "backpack transfer" system operate on the VLDP? Cheers

My wife has a fold-up bike and we eventually found a rear baggage carrier ....see here...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEDALPRO-...0927965257?hash=item5d592b4049:g:NG0AAOSw9N1V

Its maximum load is about 8 or 9 kgs and we have not had any problems with it . I would think 8 kgs on the rear pannier and a small backpack would be ample carrying capacity for the V d Plata .

Just another thought .....when i bought my cheap bike i changed the rear inner tube for a "Slime " ( it is an innertube with a green anti puncture Goo already inside .....Fantastic.....i have ridden over 7500klms and have not yet had a rear puncture .( have i just cursed myself ? ) . Some day i will get round to buying one for the front wheel ( having had 3 punctures already ):(

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It does not appear to be suitable to a pack-rack, however a smallish daypack and a front handlebar bag might solve this issue. Or does the "backpack transfer" system operate on the VLDP? Cheers
Hi Mike.
I fitted a front rack and carried my main panniers on it, with a trunk bag on the back rack. I found it distributed the weight better; with the sit-up riding position, almost all my body weight was basically on the rear wheel. And it stabilised the steering; sort of dampened the skittishness.

My husband had a quick ride on a very smart folding bike last weekend. It was lots of fun and seemed quite sturdy, and great for folding up and carrying.

Dear God!

I can do a neat cartwheel when only on two feet and hitting a big pebble! :)

the malingerer!

Dear God!

I can do a neat cartwheel when only on two feet and hitting a big pebble! :)

the malingerer!

Merry Xmas to those who have contributed so far and the replies have been most enlightening! Do those of u who do the step through have the same problem as me in that I can then get on the bike but so help me I cant get off because i have to lean the bike and try the damn leg in cross over mode! Methinks its all a question of technique :) AS to the folding bikes, I had a look at a few and they seemed heavy to me or again is that the dotage?
I think as Ive said before, I am a footslogger at heart and its probably back to the CF and keep on truckin! :) Tis a pity there is no compostela for motor bikers or I would hire a scooter! Not the most pious of modes for us "real" pilgrims of course but again as I keep ducking the grim reaper, who cares? :) :)
vaya con dios to all of u and success in your endevours. We should have a club meeting in Santiago!

The Malingerer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back