A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

10 biggest walking pains.

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese "2015" missed one day. Portuguese "2016" full trip fingers crossed.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis, SJPDP-Santiago (May 2016) Via de la Plata, Sevilla-Santiago (Sept 2016), CM/CF 2018
Great link Nick!

I think the most important thing is to listen to your body, even though your mind wants to push on. On the Camino Via de la Plata in 2016 I began feeling extreme pain in my left knee half way through and I went on by taking ibuprofen to finish. Two days after I got home I had a MRI and found my meniscus was almost completely gone and I had stress fractures in my tibia. After a year of recovery, I finally had my knee replaced this last January as the minscus can’t be replaced. However, four months to the day after my surgery (May 2018), I went back and completed the Camino de Madrid, from Madrid to Santiago (445 miles).

I really had no pain with my new knee, other than a little stiffness at night the first few weeks. What got me back to trekking was my love for the Camino, but I also worked at the physical therapy, and most of all, I listened to my body because I have a lot more treks on my wish list.

Ted

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
(2016) ; 1st Camino ; Frances Way ; 2017 Camino Frances begins August 10,2017
@ Ted Stek

I took off 2018 to repair my body after two Frances in 11 months. Like you, I found out I had knee damage (both knees) from IT band, to meniscus and ligament damage, got operated on Aug 21, 2018. Using a walker right now but I will be ready for the Via de la Plata in October of 2019 just as soon as I get the shoulders operated on in late September 2018 ...lol

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis, SJPDP-Santiago (May 2016) Via de la Plata, Sevilla-Santiago (Sept 2016), CM/CF 2018
You sound crazy, like me. I did the Camino Francis in May/June and then went back and did the Camino Via de la Plata in October/November that same year. Funny, but I was so glad when I was done, and couldn’t wait to get back home, and then a few weeks later started missing and craving another Camino. That’s what happens to you once on the Camino.

natcire

Camino(s) past & future
First time and first day walking from SJPP on May 1 2018 to Finisterre (goal).
I think I have the Camino bug. I finished the Camino Frances in June with neuroma to both feet, hip and lower back pains. 2.5 months later my feet are still swollen and I am planning my next Camino (Portuguese Porto) next year or in two years; and the Rome to Muxia in May 2022 to celebrate my retirement.

Camino(s) past & future
(2016) ; 1st Camino ; Frances Way ; 2017 Camino Frances begins August 10,2017
You sound crazy, like me. I did the Camino Francis in May/June and then went back and did the Camino Via de la Plata in October/November that same year. Funny, but I was so glad when I was done, and couldn’t wait to get back home, and then a few weeks later started missing and craving another Camino. That’s what happens to you once on the Camino.
The Camino calls and you will answer.... ohhhhh "cRAZY oNE" lol Buen CaminoS

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%