• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leg Pain

SueFalls

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal Camino Sept 22, 2023
I’m on the Portugal Coastal Route, and have made it to Vigo. The last four-five days I’ve dealt with severe leg pain. It started right before Vila do Castelo, where I spent an extra rest day with it on iced and elevated. To give it one more day to heal, I took the train from Vila do Castelo to Caminha. Now its three days later and it’s worse than ever. I didn’t have this problem at all when I was training for 3-4 months prior to my Camino. I’m not sure what has happened, but I think it’s shin splints on my right leg and now my ankle is swelling. Yesterday I walked Baiona to Oia, then took a bus the last 10 miles from Oia to my hotel in Vigo. I’m trying to decide if I should continue to try and walk to my next city, or take a train Vigo to Pontevedra, or take a train to the closest airport and fly home. I’m so discouraged and frustrated that this has happened.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My suggestion would be to have it checked out and as long as it is not going to injure you then continue the Camino by bus / train. We don't always get the journey we want / expect yet everywhere along the Camino we are exactly where we are meant to be .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m on the Portugal Coastal Route, and have made it to Vigo. The last four-five days I’ve dealt with severe leg pain. It started right before Vila do Castelo, where I spent an extra rest day with it on iced and elevated. To give it one more day to heal, I took the train from Vila do Castelo to Caminha. Now its three days later and it’s worse than ever. I didn’t have this problem at all when I was training for 3-4 months prior to my Camino. I’m not sure what has happened, but I think it’s shin splints on my right leg and now my ankle is swelling. Yesterday I walked Baiona to Oia, then took a bus the last 10 miles from Oia to my hotel in Vigo. I’m trying to decide if I should continue to try and walk to my next city, or take a train Vigo to Pontevedra, or take a train to the closest airport and fly home. I’m so discouraged and frustrated that this has happened.
I am sorry, truly. Pain is not my friend, but I know enough to know it must not be ignored, especially while you are undertaking a camino, ie, in your case, walking.
Robo has done you a favour, above. One day at a time, and also the favourite saying of @mspath: carpe diem. This is what is on your plate at this moment. Don't jump ahead, try to stay in the moment.
Sorry, if this comes across as piotious, it is not meant to. It comes from a current different pain I have, and am probably projecting! Physio is your friend right now.
I made up the piotious word, don't worry about looking it up!😇

I am sorry, truly. Pain is not my friend, but I know enough to know it must not be ignored, especially while you are undertaking a camino, ie, in your case, walking.
Robo has done you a favour, above. One day at a time, and also the favourite saying of @mspath: carpe diem. This is what is on your plate at this moment. Don't jump ahead, try to stay in the moment.
Sorry, if this comes across as piotious, it is not meant to. It comes from a current different pain I have, and am probably projecting! Physio is your friend right now.
I made up the piotious word, don't worry about looking it up!😇
This is actually a great reminder for me to stay in the moment. I’m going to get out and walk around the city a bit this morning and see how my leg feels. If it’s bad, I’ll head to the train station. If it’s not too sore, I’ll start walking towards Redondela.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's no easy way out of it other than resting. During the years I've had shin-splints twice and it's ridiculously painful. Both times it required between 5-7 days of relaxation. You can walk - but it's going to be painful. Painkillers and hiking poles will help - but for your own sake, rest instead.

This is actually a great reminder for me to stay in the moment. I’m going to get out and walk around the city a bit this morning and see how my leg feels. If it’s bad, I’ll head to the train station. If it’s not too sore, I’ll start walking towards Redondela.
Sue, I had a similar issue during training prior to my recent Camino. Despite Dr chiropractor physio et all nothing much was helping until a friend suggested a compression sleeve. Instant relief.
Three days later I was able to start my Camino. (By no means did it fix the problem however I was able to walk comfortably.)
This is not medical advice by any stretch of the imagination however if you can lay your Hands on one it may be worth trying?

Sue, I had a similar issue during training prior to my recent Camino. Despite Dr chiropractor physio et all nothing much was helping until a friend suggested a compression sleeve. Instant relief.
Three days later I was able to start my Camino. (By no means did it fix the problem however I was able to walk comfortably.)
This is not medical advice by any stretch of the imagination however if you can lay your Hands on one it may be worth trying?
I was able to find some compression tape and have wrapped the lower leg and now ankle. Not sure it’s helped, but I will look for more of a compression sleeve as you suggested and see if that helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's no easy way out of it other than resting. During the years I've had shin-splints twice and it's ridiculously painful. Both times it required between 5-7 days of relaxation. You can walk - but it's going to be painful. Painkillers and hiking poles will help - but for your own sake, rest instead.
Yep - that’s what I found on Google - rest for 2-3 weeks. I can’t do that! I do think the combination of paracetamol and an ibuprofen anti inflammatory keeps it at bay. And the poles may have helped some.

Go find the physio Robo mentioned. They have access to better stuff. If it is shin splints, taping the foot/ankle won't do much. In the interim, RICE, hydrate(!), and use your poles when you cant. Finally...and I learned this the hard way, too...don't walk with fears or what if's. Walk with what is. If you can't, that in itself is an answer.

Go find the physio Robo mentioned. They have access to better stuff. If it is shin splints, taping the foot/ankle won't do much. In the interim, RICE, hydrate(!), and use your poles when you cant. Finally...and I learned this the hard way, too...don't walk with fears or what if's. Walk with what is. If you can't, that in itself is an answer.
Excellent advice!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello I just finished the Camino Portuguese (Central)I had terrible leg pain also. I believe it came from the never ending asphalt and cobblestone. It gets to be grueling and pounding. Once I hit Ponte Lima and Spanish soil we had some lovely dirt paths. My legs liked that. My friend who does not suffer knee issues ended up with aching knees too thinking it was the pounding pavement. This is in no means a professional opinion just my own experience. I wish you a good journey. Switch to Central and the Varient Espiritual if it is better paths.
Buen Camino

Get professional help! After struggling with increasing pain I had a physio work on me and tape me up in Burgos. After that I was able to continue walking, slowly at first. But after a few easier days I was back up to regular distances and was able to finish.

Hello I just finished the Camino Portuguese (Central)I had terrible leg pain also. I believe it came from the never ending asphalt and cobblestone. It gets to be grueling and pounding. Once I hit Ponte Lima and Spanish soil we had some lovely dirt paths. My legs liked that. My friend who does not suffer knee issues ended up with aching knees too thinking it was the pounding pavement. This is in no means a professional opinion just my own experience. I wish you a good journey. Switch to Central and the Varient Espiritual if it is better paths.
Buen Camino
Thank you for your reply. I’m starting the grueling trek up the mountain towards Armenteira on the Variant Espiritual today, so hope to be on softer trails.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was able to find some compression tape and have wrapped the lower leg and now ankle. Not sure it’s helped, but I will look for more of a compression sleeve as you suggested and see if that helps.
I bought a compression sleeve, but it’s too big around the foot and the extra fabric is giving me a blister. Ugh!

Attachments

• IMG_5979.jpeg
    IMG_5979.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
If it is too big around the foot then it is a compression sock not a sleeve, shouldn't go any more than from your ankle to just under your knee. (There are others that do the knee too but you can once again run into similar issues). If you are not used to wearing a compression sock, or, as in your case it fits badly, then sadly it's likely to do exactly what that has ie give you blisters. Sorry 😔.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am having the same issue. I have been taking ibuprofen twice daily and mine is getting a bit better. The first 4-5 days it was red above the ankle in the front and very hot to the touch.

Like this - should be available in a good Sports shop, esp. If they cater to runners.

Thank you for this info. I will try to pull it up farther on my leg so it goes from ankle to just under my knee, and see if that works. I’ve been able to get in about 12-14 km a day before it starts to really hurt, so not doing too bad. Have four more days to reach Santiago and I am determined!

Suefalls,
I’m on the CF in Foncebadon. Before leaving Astorga this morning, I checked into a Health clinic because I had the same symptoms that you described. I thought they were shin splints over the last 7 to 10 days, I started to develop swelling in my left ankle quite noticeably. Lots of pain. The doctor examined it and ruled out cellulitis wish I was afraid of, and said it was just a case of bad tendinitis. To walk slower keep it elevated at night and use ice and take OTC inflammatory medicine that seems to help. I hadn’t experienced these symptoms before either.
Good luck 👍

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tendonitis is one of the things that calf sleeves or compression sleeves help to relieve and are actually prescribed for.
A sports doctor prescribed a compression sleeve for my elbow when I had tendonitis there. Explains why it worked so well for my leg!
Remember to take it off if you're resting for extended periods ie over an hour

I am having the same issue. I have been taking ibuprofen twice daily and mine is getting a bit better. The first 4-5 days it was red above the ankle in the front and very hot to the touch.
I hope it’s better fit you now. Anti inflammatory pills, pain killers, ice, elevation and compression socks have all helped me

Suefalls,
I’m on the CF in Foncebadon. Before leaving Astorga this morning, I checked into a Health clinic because I had the same symptoms that you described. I thought they were shin splints over the last 7 to 10 days, I started to develop swelling in my left ankle quite noticeably. Lots of pain. The doctor examined it and ruled out cellulitis wish I was afraid of, and said it was just a case of bad tendinitis. To walk slower keep it elevated at night and use ice and take OTC inflammatory medicine that seems to help. I hadn’t experienced these symptoms before either.
Good luck 👍
Thank you so much for sharing your similar situation and remedies. I’ve been doing the same things you mentioned and it’s helped. Tomorrow (Thursday) is my final day (Padron to Santiago), so will be heading home soon to rest it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@SueFalls, overcoming obstacles is not always easy. Whilst I would never suggest that someone risk their personal health, to seek and try different solutions that enable one to continues ones path is a valuable lesson to take forward in life. Pain and frustration cause many to give up. The mental struggle of an injury is every bit as hard as the physical to overcome.
Something you have very clearly succeeded in.
CONGRATULATIONS!

@SueFalls, overcoming obstacles is not always easy. Whilst I would never suggest that someone risk their personal health, to seek and try different solutions that enable one to continues ones path is a valuable lesson to take forward in life. Pain and frustration cause many to give up. The mental struggle of an injury is every bit as hard as the physical to overcome.
Something you have very clearly succeeded in.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Gracias!

If your gut is telling you that it is shin splints, it very well may be - you know your body.
The reason you got them on the Camino and not during training is probably enthusiasm and excitement! Understandable and not uncommon.
If you can take off a few days in a row as rest days, do it and stay completely off your feet. Your muscles can't heal if you keep aggravating the injury by trying to walk.
This is the Camino you were meant to have, don't be discouraged!!
Perhaps, when you begin your walk again, at the first twinge of discomfort in any part of your body but especially your legs/feet, SLOW DOWN greatly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If it were just muscular I would have suggested a glass of tinto in every pueblo, but clearly it isn't, and the tinto wouldn't help much.

Apart from potential shoes/boots problems possibly being a cause, I'd say : get medical advice.

Ad hoc anti-inflammatories can make a bad situation worse sometimes, by fooling your body into thinking it's not so bad.

One of my sons got shin splints approximately halfway through the Camino Frances walking too fast while listening to upbeat music on his earbuds. He struggled for several days, but refused to take a bus or taxi, and he was really in pain on the downhill walk to Ponferrada.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is probably worth checking it out with a doctor if the pain persists. A friend of mine recently completed the last 50 or so km of her Camino Portugues on what she thought was a sprained ankle. She did complete her Camino. She didn't get the x-rays until she got home, after the Camino and several days sightseeing in Madrid. That's when she was properly diagnosed with a fracture. Now she is walking around in a plaster cast.

If your gut is telling you that it is shin splints, it very well may be - you know your body.
The reason you got them on the Camino and not during training is probably enthusiasm and excitement! Understandable and not uncommon.
If you can take off a few days in a row as rest days, do it and stay completely off your feet. Your muscles can't heal if you keep aggravating the injury by trying to walk.
This is the Camino you were meant to have, don't be discouraged!!
Perhaps, when you begin your walk again, at the first twinge of discomfort in any part of your body but especially your legs/feet, SLOW DOWN greatly.
I’ve actually made it to Santiago so the long days of walking are over!

I’ve actually made it to Santiago so the long days of walking are over!
Congratulations, SueFalls. I know exactly what you had to endure having had the same happen on both of my Caminos and lasting most of my walk, though in both cases they fully recovered a few days before the finish. I hope that you feel a sense of pride that you persevered through the pain, and I hope that you found much to enjoy despite the pain.
I am setting off on the Kumano Kodo on 21st October and have been doing much training to try and prevent a repeat bout of tendinitis but I fear that pain will once again be my constant companion. I have heard that tendinitis comes from walking too fast and overextending your stride, so maybe that won't happen this time as the KK is very hilly!
I have also read all of the wonderful advice given on your thread and an earlier one of my own. The generous support and advice from the forum members is a treasure full of gems and wisdom. I have my compression socks, tapes, my stretches, and warm-ups, and my warning to myself not to walk too fast or overextend. Fingers crossed that some or all will work for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congratulations, SueFalls. I know exactly what you had to endure having had the same happen on both of my Caminos and lasting most of my walk, though in both cases they fully recovered a few days before the finish. I hope that you feel a sense of pride that you persevered through the pain, and I hope that you found much to enjoy despite the pain.
I am setting off on the Kumano Kodo on 21st October and have been doing much training to try and prevent a repeat bout of tendinitis but I fear that pain will once again be my constant companion. I have heard that tendinitis comes from walking too fast and overextending your stride, so maybe that won't happen this time as the KK is very hilly!
I have also read all of the wonderful advice given on your thread and an earlier one of my own. The generous support and advice from the forum members is a treasure full of gems and wisdom. I have my compression socks, tapes, my stretches, and warm-ups, and my warning to myself not to walk too fast or overextend. Fingers crossed that some or all will work for me.
Appreciate your comments, and validating that it was an issue and came on totally unexpectedly. I’m going to my dr when I return home to confirm what the issue is, and learn what I can do to try and prevent it next time I set off on a long journey.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.