• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

17 Sept-29 Oct CF What jacket to bring?

Walking Julie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis Sept-Oct 2016
Hi all,
Newbie here...
I'm having a jacket dilemma. So far for cloathes, I'm bringing 2 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve merino wool tops. Also a long sleeve fleece. (Convertible pants and leggings). So this is the question, from the list below,what would you decide to bring for outer "jacket" layer? I'm planning to bring a poncho to cover both me and my pack. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cold the end of October in Finisterre. (I'll be starting in SJPdP) Need someone with a little more experience to shed some light.

This is what I have to choose from:

Down jacket with hood (ultra light)
Down vest (ultra light)
Wind breaker with hood (light)
Columbia rain jacket (heaviest but doable option)

My thought was down jacket for warmth with windbreaker.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Julie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Julie

I'm planning my 4th camino - similar dates to you.

I'm going to bring my standard light long-sleeve merino, plus a warmer merino jacket and a light water-proof/wind jacket that I've taken on all my spring/summer caminos.

But I'll be adding to that an ultra light weight down jacket. I met a pilgrim last year who had one (and I was a bit envious) and he wore it many times - in June! So I'm thinking I may need one in October, especially towards the end of the month.

happy planning

buen camino

Norelle

Rain jacket will be needed even with a poncho.

Rain jacket will cut wind too.

Down Jacket. You won't want it during the day, particularly with the wool shirts on, but you will want it in the evenings.

You will radiate a lot of heat through walking with a pack and won't want much for outer layers.

Bring a scarf, light ragknit wool gloves, and a fleece hat.

Long sleeve is better than short ... you can roll the sleeves if needs be. Bring nylon or cotton shirts ... leave the merino at home. Yeah it holds off washing for a few days but eventually you will want to and it will take f o r e v e r to dry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,
Newbie here...
I'm having a jacket dilemma. So far for cloathes, I'm bringing 2 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve merino wool tops. Also a long sleeve fleece. (Convertible pants and leggings). So this is the question, from the list below,what would you decide to bring for outer "jacket" layer? I'm planning to bring a poncho to cover both me and my pack. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cold the end of October in Finisterre. (I'll be starting in SJPdP) Need someone with a little more experience to shed some light.

This is what I have to choose from:

Down jacket with hood (ultra light)
Down vest (ultra light)
Wind breaker with hood (light)
Columbia rain jacket (heaviest but doable option)

My thought was down jacket for warmth with windbreaker.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Julie

Hi Julie,
Im setting off on 18/9 so look out fir me. Had anticipated leaving down jacket behind but these comments suggest otherwise..evenings seem to be the main problem

A lot depends on the temperatures you are used to at home. I lay on an hostel bunk in Porto very comfortably in shorts and t-shirt while a young Korean woman sitting on the next bunk shivered in front of a fan heater while wearing three layers of wool sweaters and a heavy wool overcoat! Personally I would leave the down jacket at home and take a light rain jacket - adding or removing layers of fleece/shirt/T-shirt underneath for comfort. Although a down jacket can be quite light I find one is overkill and not worth the additional bulk along the Camino routes except in midwinter and in the mountain sections.

I recommend a hooded rain parka shell, in a bright color for visibility when road walking. Buy the parka shell one size larger than you might otherwise to allow for layering your fleece and additional items underneath, if the weather turns cold abruptly.

Also, do try to find a rain shell parka with "pit zips." this allows you to open both armpits to promote ventilation as you walk.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down jacket and rain jacket for me are insurance. You don't know if you will need it, but when you do... I think one merino wool, and one or two synthetic shirts. (Veteran of 14 Caminos--with rain, hail, snow, as well as 100 temps)..

I don't go anywhere without my micro down ran jacket

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
I am also a newbie, doing my first Camino from Sept 25th to Nov 2nd. I have been tossing up whether to bring a soft shell windbreaker or not. Now I think I will I am taking 1 long sleeve and 2 short sleeve tops all marino. I was also taking my waterproof lightweight jacket. What are the temperatures at night? I was also tossing up whether to take a lightweight sleeping bag, should I?
Would love all your advise.
Cheers.

Well I have decided to take my merino tops and hope the weather isnt too wet.
Cheers
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I find that Super fine Merino wool T shirts and tops dry faster than polypropylene . The added advantage is that they don't smell like dead Wombat after a day of sweat and dirt .

You'll need 4 layers to cover all eventualities.
So the need is to cover the worst eventuality, cold and rain.
You could utilise a short sleeve merino over which would go the long sleeve merino, topped by the fleece.
But your query is to the outer layer.
The requirement now is not for warmth. It is for rain protection.
May I suggest your choice is therefore between a shell jacket or a poncho.
Then a decision is required as to whether and how to protect your legs.
Remember that socks make great wicks and enable, probably guarantee, the transfer of moisture into the interior of your footwear.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise. I am taking my wet weather gear, both pants and jacket. It is hard to know what to leave behind and what to take when you have to be mindful about weight. My pack at the moment is 8.3 kgs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You'll need 4 layers to cover all eventualities.
So the need is to cover the worst eventuality, cold and rain.
You could utilise a short sleeve merino over which would go the long sleeve merino, topped by the fleece.
But your query is to the outer layer.
The requirement now is not for warmth. It is for rain protection.
May I suggest your choice is therefore between a shell jacket or a poncho.
Then a decision is required as to whether and how to protect your legs.
Remember that socks make great wicks and enable, probably guarantee, the transfer of moisture into the interior of your footwear.
Regards
Gerard

My pack is at 5.5 k without water. I think I'm going to spray my convertible pants with a water repellant. I have wet weather jacket and poncho. Still debating down jacket or down vest. I will be bringing a light weight fleece. Wondering if down jacket is overkill and should only bring vest....thoughts?

I'd choose windproof very light weight jacket with hood (not on list) and down vest.

I'd choose windproof very light weight jacket with hood (not on list) and down vest.
Thanks for the input!!! Why, I do have a light weight windproof/windbreaker jacket with hood, on my list to choose from. That was my initial though to use, with down jacket. Then I thought perhaps my Columbia waterproof jacket with down vest and light fleece was perhaps a better combo. Of course in the end, it's just an educated guess because I have no idea what the weather will throw at me....o_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wondering if down jacket is overkill and should only bring vest....thoughts?
I have a closet full of vests that are great in fall/winter. I would never bring one on a Camino. It is single use piece of equipment. Instead, layer. T-shirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, and poncho (Altus or Packa). Each is perfect for some weather, and layered, they will conquer all weather conditions (including a blizzard). Style just does not count on the Camino. ;)

I have a closet full of vests that are great in fall/winter. I would never bring one on a Camino. It is single use piece of equipment. Instead, layer. T-shirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, and poncho (Altus or Packa). Each is perfect for some weather, and layered, they will conquer all weather conditions (including a blizzard). Style just does not count on the Camino. ;)
Those of us coming from some distance, and for time spent in Europe before and after our Camino, need something somewhat dressier than a windbreaker for attending functions, going out for dinner, shows, movies, family functions etc.
That is why I utilise a soft shell fleece, one that is more dressy, and slightly more expensive. Not just one of the fluffy ones that would quite suffice for Camino use.
Multipurpose! We've learnt how important that is.
Regards
Gerard

Thanks for the input!!! Why, I do have a light weight windproof/windbreaker jacket with hood, on my list to choose from. That was my initial though to use, with down jacket. Then I thought perhaps my Columbia waterproof jacket with down vest and light fleece was perhaps a better combo. Of course in the end, it's just an educated guess because I have no idea what the weather will throw at me....o_O
The difference I was emphasising was extra/ultra lightweight jacket - no frills. About the vest - I used my vest a lot and felt no need for a down jacket because I had my light weight fleece. I also used my merino leggings a lot - in the evenings and in bed. To each their own - I run cold and like to be prepared for very cold, which it was sometimes during our Sept/Oct Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
I am also a newbie, doing my first Camino from Sept 25th to Nov 2nd. I have been tossing up whether to bring a soft shell windbreaker or not. Now I think I will I am taking 1 long sleeve and 2 short sleeve tops all marino. I was also taking my waterproof lightweight jacket. What are the temperatures at night? I was also tossing up whether to take a lightweight sleeping bag, should I?
Would love all your advise.
Cheers.
Highly recommend taking a light weight sleeping bag. I couldn't imagine being without mine for comfort, privacy and warmth

The difference I was emphasising was extra/ultra lightweight jacket - no frills. About the vest - I used my vest a lot and felt no need for a down jacket because I had my light weight fleece. I also used my merino leggings a lot - in the evenings and in bed. To each their own - I run cold and like to be prepared for very cold, which it was sometimes during our Sept/Oct Camino.
So, you think a vest with fleece and light weight windbreaker is a good option..? (It's all about the layers...learned that living in Seattle for 10 years LOL). I'm bringing a stuff able down blanket I bought at Costco $19.99. Can't beat that.
Thanks!

So, you think a vest with fleece and light weight windbreaker is a good option..? (It's all about the layers...learned that living in Seattle for 10 years LOL). I'm bringing a stuff able down blanket I bought at Costco $19.99. Can't beat that.
Thanks!
I think a vest with light weight fleece & windbreaker are a great option. As you say its all about the layers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After reading all these posts, I think I am happy taking short sleeve marino tops, a long sleeve marino top, a hooded windbreaker and a wet weather jacket, and I will take my sleeping bag. Hopefully I will be warm enough.
Thankyou for your input.

After reading all these posts, I think I am happy taking short sleeve marino tops, a long sleeve marino top, a hooded windbreaker and a wet weather jacket, and I will take my sleeping bag. Hopefully I will be warm enough.
Thankyou for your input.

Have a fabulous time. Buen camino!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.