• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

19 year old son leaves next week - help an anxious mother 16,000km away

KateB

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Hi everyone
As my thread title says...my Australian son and five of his friends - who are all 19 - will arrive in Saint-Jean-Pied-dePort next week to begin their six week Camino journey.
He has his backpack, rain poncho, very expensive rain/weatherproof jacket that cost me $300, is budgeting about 20 euro per day, is young, fit and strong but hey, I'm a little stressed and just need some reassurance.

He is walking in ASICS trainers and from what I've read, they should be fine as long provided there is not constant rain and he's walking every day in wet shoes? It's too late now to get hiking boots as they need to be worn in, correct?
Also, from what I've read, late April can be very cold in the mornings, (hence the expensive jacket) - any more advice about walking at this time of year?
He will have a mobile phone the whole way but is coverage patchy in any areas?
Are there pilgrims around his age? Only one of them has been to Europe so they're all a little overwhelmed by what's coming up.

He is far away from me and I can't get on a plane at a moment's notice to help with medical emergencies etc. so basically, am just after any last minute advice and ideas to make it easier (for me lol)
Thanks from an anxious mum!
Kathy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your son will probably be ahead of us, my daughter & I leave from SJPP the 22nd but we'll watch for them. Everyone says the Camino will take care of you. So believe that, try not to worry, and let your son enjoy his adventure. There will be lots of Moms walking who can assist if needed.

Hi Kathy,
About 8 years ago my 19 year old son did the same thing, except that he walked alone. I had already walked many caminos, so it was my friends and family who were worried and not me. I told everyone who expressed concern the same thing I'll tell you -- though no place in the world is risk-free I could think of no safer place for my pre-adult son to be. There will be many days without easy contact, and hopefully your son will have many days when contacting home just won't be a big priority. Forgive him that, but be happy because it means he is thriving and experiencing something like he's never known. You will hear all about it in due course. And I bet you will see the effects of this great adventure with your own eyes when you see him again!
May your son have a great camino. Laurie.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is nothing the camino can toss at the six of them that they cannot handle! Internet and phone service can be spotty, and they will get caught up in the moment, so there may be some communication gaps. Stay calm. No news really is good news on the camino. We have had a half dozen "lost pilgrim" alerts in the Forum from nervous family members. Every one turned out just fine.

Thank you for these lovely, reassuring words.

I actually made a mistake - he doesn't start walking until May 2nd. I'm all in a fluster at the moment so apologies for that error. Mom&Me he will actually be behind you but may catch up at some point. I don't know if they will stand out but maybe their accents will?

Look forward to hearing some more thoughts from all of you experienced pilgrims and parents.

Hi everyone
As my thread title says...my Australian son and five of his friends - who are all 19 - will arrive in Saint-Jean-Pied-dePort next week to begin their six week Camino journey.
He has his backpack, rain poncho, very expensive rain/weatherproof jacket that cost me $300, is budgeting about 20 euro per day, is young, fit and strong but hey, I'm a little stressed and just need some reassurance.

He is walking in ASICS trainers and from what I've read, they should be fine as long provided there is not constant rain and he's walking every day in wet shoes? It's too late now to get hiking boots as they need to be worn in, correct?
Also, from what I've read, late April can be very cold in the mornings, (hence the expensive jacket) - any more advice about walking at this time of year?
Are there pilgrims around his age? Only one of them has been to Europe so they're all a little overwhelmed by what's coming up.

He is far away from me and I can't get on a plane at a moment's notice to help with medical emergencies etc. so basically, am just after any last minute advice and ideas to make it easier (for me lol)
Kathy

20 euro per day? Not enough! 30-35 per day is normal.

A rain jacket will protect against rain and wind but not against cold. Pack him a sweater or at least a scarf that can be draped over the shoulders and upper chest.

Hiking boots is a tough question. I've gotten away with new boots on a long trip ... but I was lucky in the fit. If you can get a pair that fit and they get worn every day all day for two weeks they should be okay. That being said ... the shoes are probably enough ... put the boot money in with the pocket money.

Cell phone coverage is patchy except in the populated areas and most of the camino is rural. Don't worry if you don't get a call for several days at a time. No news is good news.

He is 19. He's with his friends. He'll be fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kathy,
I was so confident about the safety of the camino that I took four children on my own last year. That was the easy bit - I sent a 15 and 16 year old to India at the same time - and I know what you mean about wanting to be able to hop on a plane when something goes wrong (coz it did). But it all works out, they grow up, we are freed to offer more independence. In fact, I wish my 19yo son would go off and do his own camino! Your son is going to be fine - and you will be too if you don't expect updates every week!

Kate we start on May 5 so a few days behind your son and his friends, and we will be walking slow but I will keep an eye out as well, just in case our paths do cross though I am not too sure how he'd feel knowing all the forum "mom's" on the Camino are looking out for him without his knowledge LOL ... from one "mom" to another :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My son did the Camino, alone (well, almost immediately he got into a group) when he was 20, in April. He had a great time, and no problem apart from a mild cold.
In occidental Europe is quite customary to see hundreds of youngsters going around in spring, taking a break before the pressure of college. In May, there will be lots of pilgrims walking, so he will be constantly within sight of other people. Actually, it can be a bit crowded. And most of the Camino is quite easy, with villages every few kms.
May can be hot, although cool by nights, especially in the heights of Galicia. Spain is a modern country; there are some big cities where you can buy or replace equipment.
In concur, a medium average of 30-35e is reasonable. It will give him the chance to eat a bit better, and staying in some, more comfortable, private albergues, now and then.
He will have a great (and safe) experience. And I expect you, too.

Kate, I'll be walking in a pair of Asics trainers too, so no need to worry about that with your son :)

He'll be fine, especially travelling with a big group like he is. just make him Skype you on a regular basis.

He'll be just fine. Really. Lots of helpful people along the way and five good friends for backup.
Many, many, people walk alone and do very well. He'll be fine and have the experience of a lifetime.
Really!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kate,

My son also walked the camino in 2010 (on his own) when he was 19. He had a wonderful time and has very fond memories.

This was before I had a chance to walk the camino!

On the camino I think it is important to try to 'be in the moment' and not to be frequently thinking of contacting home.

The camino is very safe and, not only will he have the friends he is traveling with, he will be surrounded by supportive pilgrims.

When both my children have been traveling the world, I try to remember - no news is good news! Try not to worry.

buen camino

6 weeks is plenty of time for a group of 19 years old, I guess they will arrive early in Santiago and have time to go on to Finisterre.
20 Euro per day is doable, but makes for a frugal Camino, I wouldn't be so sure that he stays in budget.
Cellphone and internet (called wifi/weefee in Spain) is excellent in my experience, but he might be too distracted by the wonders of the Camino to remember to call/text you.
Plenty of pilgrims of all ages around in May.

Buen Camino to your son and calm nerves to you,
SY

As a mother of two sons, I totally understand your concern. However, of all the trips that a group of 19 year olds could have chosen, you're lucky that they picked the Camino. As others have said, he may not keep in touch as often as you would like. If he's taking a smartphone, you could both perhaps use whatsapp or another message service that he can use through wifi. That way you can send each other quick messages every couple of days and you can wish him well without sounding too much like an anxious mother (I'm speaking from my own experience here!).

If I were in your shoes, my biggest worry would be that he would lose that expensive jacket!

Nuala

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all so much. Each time I read a post I feel better by the minute. You've reassured me beyond words. I was really getting worked up, worrying that he would freeze out there or get lost or some other random thing would happen. I guess what I really should worry about is their 'post Camino' in Lagos, Portugal :)

Hello Kathy

You asked were there a lot of other kids of your sons age on the camino - yes, there are. From all around the world, and looking for someone to chat with and to share with. There are a lot of Australians walking the camino, and in my experience we are greeted warmly by other pilgrims.
And if they are a little overwhelmed by it all before they start, they will be totally overwhelmed when they finish!
I leave Madrid a few days after they start and hope to see them on the track, or in Compostela where I am spending a few extra days.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, he is year older than when I did my first solo European trip. He will benefit from that extra year of wisdom, and no doubt will thrive!

One day when I was working in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago two twelve year old boys from Madrid came in to get their Compostela. Having congratulated them I remarked that they were very lucky to have parents who trusted them to come on their own. One of them said "My mother said it would be safe because it was the Camino." Blessed children to have parents who knew when to let them spread their wings.

So Kathy, Your son will be safe and will come back to you a man.

I have to agree that 30 to 35 euro is the budget figure your son [you!] should be working on. A night in an albergue will cost about 10 euro, a pilgrim meal at night will cost about the same, and then he will need to buy some lunch, some coffees during the day, some fruit and chocolate for snacks, and maybe even a couple of beers at the end of a hard days walk. If he decides to stay in a hotel the figure of course will rise.

Alan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

Many young people walk the camino and in my experience it is a very safe place to be.
It sounds like your son and his friends are about to experience something that will shape them and make them grow in the years to come. :)
Letting go... is seldom easy but once we do it, we allow new things to emerge if the space is available.

Do remember while he is away, that no news is good news and once he is back with you and tells you what he experienced,
it may result in you finding yourself on the camino in the future.
It is a special place.

Lettinggo

Not wishing to sound too flippant but bearing in mind the variety of poisonous and venomous species resident in Australia, a few weeks on the Camino is likely to prolong his life expectancy and in reality his most unpleasant experience is likely to be a hangover when he and his friends choose to celebrate well if not wisely at the end of their camino.

Fret not, the camino provides.

Seamus

My son wore Asics trainers for his Duke of Edinburgh award and had no problems unlike several of his group who had walking boots and suffered. There are plenty of young people on the Camino and I found them very willing to engage with older people. There are shops & pharmacies for all their needs in the bigger towns. It might be sensible for your son and friends to take a photo of their passport details on each other's phones in case of need. When they get to SJPDP there is a Camino Information Office which gives out Shells for a donation, a pilgrim's passport and lots of advice. I'm sure they'll never forget this trip!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kate thank you - that is some great advice, duly passed on.

Now he knows I'm on this thread and seeking your reassurances - so he's asking me to ask you all questions - such as this 'mum can you find out if I need proper hiking socks'? (Note: If they're going to cost me $30 a pair then the answer is no lol :)

Your 19 year old son doing the camino?
You can be proud of bringing him up to this point. Sounds like he's doing very well. Congratulations!

He wil for sure also feel insecure, he also will suffer at some moments. Being cold or hot, getting blisters, hungry at some moments. But he is 19 year old man, young and strong. He will have his camino which for sure will be great for him. Especially if he has such a loving mom at home ready, for him any moment if he needs you.
Can understand your worry. Hope you can enjoy his trip too and in the end just be a proud mom!

Kate thank you - that is some great advice, duly passed on.

Now he knows I'm on this thread and seeking your reassurances - so he's asking me to ask you all questions - such as this 'mum can you find out if I need proper hiking socks'? (Note: If they're going to cost me $30 a pair then the answer is no lol :)
Actually socks are quite important and I'm a fan of Bridgedale but there's a lot of info on this forum about equipment and socks and there are several other excellent brands recommended by veterans which are well worth looking at. The rucksack & fitting is important too and not carrying too much weight. Happy viewing!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think your son and his friends will end up with lots of surrogate mums and dads on the camino......I may be one of them......they will be about a week behind me but sure they will catch me up......This is is my first walk too but if the people you meet whilst walking are like those you meet on this site.....I don't think anyone would walk away if they were experiencing any problems. My own 22 year old son has lived and worked away from home since he was about 17/18 years old and believe me and all the others who have said, No news is good news. Takes a bit of getting used to from a mum's perspective but it is generally true.

Hi everyone

Kathy
Try not to worry, when my daughters were 16 & 21
Hi everyone

Kathy
Try not to worry !! My daughters then aged 16 & 21 did the
same Camino, they had a great time, youngest had awful blisters, so bad the local chemist said they had to go to hospital, local people and others also doing the Camino were friendly and very helpful, my eldest daughter now lives and works Madrid. It is sad when they " fly " the nest, but at least they know they have mum's support where ever they my be in the world They had so much Camino fun, that last year I did Lisbon to Finisterre with my eldest daughter !!

I cannot imagine anything better for a 19 year old lad, than to walk with his friends.
It will be a truly wonderful experience for him - and something he'll remember for the rest of his life.
He's chosen to walk the French camino - so plenty of other pilgrims, shops and lodgings for him, whatever happens.
He's going to have a whale of a time - lucky young man!
Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
20 euro per day? Not enough! 30-35 per day is normal.

A rain jacket will protect against rain and wind but not against cold. Pack him a sweater or at least a scarf that can be draped over the shoulders and upper chest.

Hiking boots is a tough question. I've gotten away with new boots on a long trip ... but I was lucky in the fit. If you can get a pair that fit and they get worn every day all day for two weeks they should be okay. That being said ... the shoes are probably enough ... put the boot money in with the pocket money.

Cell phone coverage is patchy except in the populated areas and most of the camino is rural. Don't worry if you don't get a call for several days at a time. No news is good news.

He is 19. He's with his friends. He'll be fine.
A rain jacket will be FINE against cold if you layer your clothing. Lets assume the lad is not a dim wit and can layer clothing. I hiked the Appalachian Trail in 0c weather for about a month with a gore tex rainjacket, a fleece and long underwear.

Asics are better. The lighter the shoe the better. A pound off your feet is like 5 pounds off your pack. Lighter shoes will be better. Again, I am assuming he is a healthy lad and is not prone to ankle problems. I see no reason for anyone to wear boots on the Camino.

There us wifi in alsot of cafes and hostels, so he should call or text you daily. He should do that, because that is what good lads do!!!!!!

Actually socks are quite important and I'm a fan of Bridgedale but there's a lot of info on this forum about equipment and socks and there are several other excellent brands recommended by veterans which are well worth looking at. The rucksack & fitting is important too and not carrying too much weight. Happy viewing!
DarnTough Socks are the best in the world and have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. I have gotten three replacement pairs of socks during my long(4000 km) hikes.

I have to agree that 30 to 35 euro is the budget figure your son [you!] should be working on. A night in an albergue will cost about 10 euro, a pilgrim meal at night will cost about the same, and then he will need to buy some lunch, some coffees during the day, some fruit and chocolate for snacks, and maybe even a couple of beers at the end of a hard days walk. If he decides to stay in a hotel the figure of course will rise.

Alan

I spent around 1200 euros over my 30 day trip and hike from Lisboa to Santiago. I stayed in alot of Albergues (but some 5 stars) and never missed a meal. I ate alot of Octopus.... :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are many young people on the Camino. He and his friends will have a blast and be well cared for! On day ten I was missing my own children so much that I did not think I could take another step. I made it to the next bar and decided I would be a Mom to the "Camino kids" - over the next few weeks I was buying them a meal or glass of wine, sharing my fruit and chocolate, tending to blistered toes, and even stitching up a torn guitar case; even advising one young man, who had been away from home for two months, "Call your mother!" :) They were my life savers when I needed to be needed.

On a six-week journey things may happen, but they do not happen all at once. So when they do happen you handle it and walk on, stronger and more confident because of it. Remember, on the Camino help is only a pilgrim away!

With regards to communication, don't worry. It is next to impossible to get lost on the Camino, especially with friends in tow. If you don't hear from him it will be because he is having the time of his life! I set up a Facebook group, with several family and friends at home, and every few days was able to send quick messages on my whereabouts. But please know that the Camino is a very personal journey. If you don't hear much it may be because he needs it to belong to only him!

From one Mom to another, I know this must be hard for you. Set him free. He will return a better man.
Buen Camino to them all!

- Monica
(Oh, how this makes me want to go again!!)

To everyone who has commented, everyone who has read the replies and all of you who understand and empathise with me - I can't express my gratitude in enough words. I now feel wholly sure that he will be safe and will have an experience he will never forget.
Buon Camino to you all xx

€149,-
As with many here I will be wearing Asics as well. :) I start in Mid may or would have looked out for em. Wishing them well <3

He's 19, a young man, with a group of friends to look out for each other. As someone who left home at the age of 15 to fend for myself, you might just be surprised at how capable he can be. He will come back a better man for the experience :)

My mother kicked me out of the house when I was 19.

Had I known about the camino back then, I might have flown to Spain and done it by myself but alas I had to work and make a living to support myself. Had to fend for myself with little support from either my mother or father or anybody for that matter.

It would be another 30 years later before I would have the opportunity to walk the camino.

So your son should consider himself lucky to have this opportunity so early in life. He will learn much from the experience.

Life is full of great challenges, that others, call simply opportunities.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As everyone has said, he will be fine and have quite an adventure.

Try to stay calm - I KNOW how hard it is to be a Mom when the kids are thousands of kilometers away. I think your concerns are reasonable. But, we just gotta let them go!

I agree that his budget might be stretched a bit thin. Maybe set up a joint bank account so you can get some money to him if/when he needs. That's when you're most likely to hear from him, LOL!!

Buen Camino to him . . . and to you!

Kathy (mother of four)

I hiked in 2012 and was a Camino mom to a few "kids". Mostly they just needed cough drops or ibuprofen or blister supplies. They did fine! I envied them as they would hop on down the steeper declines and us older folks had to be so careful. My only concern is that is a very tight budget for a youngster and a young male who probably needs more food. They will have to cook a lot of their meals or stay at places like Granon where it is cheaper. They should also save for the last 100 km because I feel it is more expensive the closer you get to Santiago. One of the things that made me smile about youngsters is they packed things like sweatshirts and would try to hand wash it and hang it out to dry expecting it to be ready to walk in the next day and wearing damp clothes is not fun. The other thing is traveler's medical insurance, I had to buy it, not sure if it's the same for you Aussies. Probably never need it, but if you do......

Hi everyone

Kathy

Hi Kathy
Have just been back a few days after completing the last 320+ kilometres with my wife and daughter. My advice would be, in spite of his youth, to wear specifically engineered clothing for the longish days of hiking. That way, the heavier cottons which are impossible to dry en route, won't be a burden. I am not sure about the expensive coat, though, as we found multi-layering worked really well. Definitely needs the poncho in case the high altitude weather is as bad as we encountered two weeks ago at El Cebreiro.
It is a pity about the hiking boots, as our boot-encased feet were completely free of blisters, until my wife wore her trainers on the penultimate day! I would also strongly advise walking poles, as the backpack and the steep declines will otherwise be very wearing on the knees and ankles. There is mobile phone coverage, but as long as they travel with light packs, they should be fine! We walked from Leon, and all the small places we encountered had WIFI, so staying in contact wasn't an issue...
We encountered pilgrims of all ages, nationalities, creeds, motivations, shapes and sizes. The boys will have a great, and truly memorable, time. I kept a log on Facebook if you want to follow our 16 day jaunt. Best wishes. Alan Scarisbrick

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Spain, a first world country with excellent health care and few if any dangerous plants/animals. Walk is fairly easy with plenty of villages and places to stop on the way. Fellow walkers (like the Spanish/French) are charming and helpful. I really would not worry about a group of 19 year old men if I was you - if it was in the outback that would be a different matter!

Alarabia - the coat is gortex with a lining and is actually very light - it comes to the top of his thighs and has a hood. There is plenty of room underneath for layering. It's hard to know what to pack as I travel to Italy every year but obviously my trips are nothing at all like this undertaking so I'm not much help. We have scoured these forums and got loads of ideas. Thank you for your tips and advice. Will see how the ASICS go - I'll have him post an update and let everyone know.

Patch - :) - the outback is about three days drive from where we live - like the distance from Glasgow to Belgrade - we live on the coast so probably have those dreaded Australian sharks to worry about

I'm actually now very excited for his journey and looking forward to his Instagram travel journal to keep me updated.

Thank you all again. I hope some of you run into him and the gang of four. Tell him mum said hi! :)

G'day KateB - well as long as you have been a great mum and trained him accordingly he will be safer in 95% of Spain (make that 99% of the Camino - exclude Pamplona during the Running of the Bulls) than in the streets of Sydney or Melbourne CBD on a Friday or Saturday night. He will become part of a Camino family - those he will walk "with" over the 30-35 days on the trail. If you are still concerned encourage him to get a Spanish SIM card and to text you the 10 digit number so you can keep in contact. SKYPE is really cheap - even if he calls your phone number rather than on face-to-face computer. He will have a great time and maybe will drive you to plan your OWN Camino. Buen Camino to both of you!! :);):rolleyes:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The shoes will be fine. I've just walked in a pair of Salomon cross country trainers. If it rains they get wet through. But with some paper stuffed into them, they dry out overnight.

As long as you pack light and don't have pre existing ankle problems I can't see why boots would be needed.

Hi everyone

Kathy
Hallo Kathy! I walked Camino frances last summer and I met many 19years old that were walking it!
He will be fine and whatever he needs he can find it! It's a great experience and he will only gain good and positive things by doing it!
Don't be worried at all!the way always provides!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back