• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st time pilgrim - Camino Frances vs. Camino del Norte

R

Roger M.

First, thanks to this website and everyone who posts. I have acquired a lot of good information.

I will walk my first Camino this Sept/Oct. At first I was set on the Camino Frances due to its popularity, infrastructure, better maintained route, etc.. But my research also highlights some of the attractive highlights of the Camino del Norte. Along with my personal inclination to take "the road less traveled", the more diverse scenery, etc, I am beginning to consider this alternative.

My question to folks that have walked both routes is - If you were only to ever walk the Camino one time, which one would you choose?

Thanks,

Roger

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
CF twice, CN once, will return to the CN soon.

The suggestion above sounds really good. I would walk the CF if I only had one time.

Either choice will provide.

Exciting just to think about.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Getting the time off is a major project for us, so this may be the only time we get to walk the Camino untill our retirement 6 years from now (might not be fit enough to walk by then). Because of this we chose the Camino Frances, best accomodation and support for first timers like us and History at every corner!

Hi Roger
is that a fair question... how do you know this will be your one camino? :)

This one comes up quite regularly - as well it might. I was looking for the last time I imparted my 'wisdom' on this topic - but couldn't find it. But came across these previous threads along the way. There are more... it's quite interesting to read a few and see the general points emerge (I apologise if you've been through them already).
My summary would be -
The Norte is a bit tougher physically with lots of asphalt walking and longer stages between accommodation, though that's not necessarily a problem. It's more expensive and I'd say the way-marking is more problematic although mostly it's good enough. On the plus side it's a visual/coastal feast and very varied. There'll be people around but outside of a few pinch points it won't be crowded.
The Frances has more evidence of the cultural and religious tradition of the camino, so that it is with you (and you are within it) nearly the entire time - both formally as churches, statues, hospital ruins, cathedrals etc but also informally in what people choose to create and leave along the way, like pop-up shrines and messages - and graffiti. The range of people you meet will likely be wider.
I think there's very little in it. If I was in your shoes it might well come down to timing. I think the Frances has been very busy from early September in the last couple of years and could be quite crowded then. So I'd take the Norte for that reason unless I could start last week September or start of October.
But remember that either way will eventually be the right one
regards, tom

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/norte-or-frances.19438/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...sept-camino-frances-or-camino-del-nort.19576/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/norte-or-frances.20391/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...leaving-for-frances-now-thinking-norte.21951/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/norte-or-frances.11356/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/el-camino-frances-vs-el-camino-del-norte.16739/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-march-april-2013.16175/

Roger is that a Chessie or atleast a part of one in your picture?
Huge Chessie lover here!
I walked the Frances September 2012 and am leaving late March for the Norte. I am as excited to walk the Norte as I could possibly be BUT would never be able to suggest for anyone to not walk the Frances first. You'll be back if the Norte is calling you already :)
I have a friend who is starting the Frances two weeks before I head out on the Norte and I would not dare let her consider anything but the Frances if that help me get my point across.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all. I appreciate the candid and thoughtful responses. I have a bit more pondering to do but I suspect it will be the Camino Frances that I end up walking. Being 60 years old I am not sure that there will be time in my life to re-visit the Camino with all the other things on my bucket list. But you never know.

Tom - thanks for putting the list of links together. I'll look each one over.

Shefollowsshells - my profile pic is of my late friend Harry. He was a hurricane Katrina survivor I gave to my wife for a Valentines Day present in 2006. Most folks guess that he was half Shar Pei and half Lab. We had to put him down last year due to cancer. Best dog I ever had.

Again, thank you all very much for responding.

Best Regards & Buen Camino,

Roger

Roger:

At the risk as being criticized by some, the simple answer for me is that the Camino Frances is THE seminal Camino de Santiago. There are literally dozens of routes starting at all points in Continental Europe and beyond (UK, Ireland), but they all converge at Santiago de Compostela. Many people have their favorite routes. Others have preferred routes. I have even heard that some even have "private" routes they guard to prevent overcrowding. Most of the literature over the past 1,300 years (+/-) about the Camino de Santiago includes this route. This includes medieval manuscripts, as well as contemporary books, and films.

When "most" people talk about "doing the Camino" they are usually referring to the Camino Frances. It has the best infrastructure, support services, and help along the way. It is also easy to walk segments of the Camino, leave for home, and return another time to start where you left off, as the Camino Frances touches many towns and cities with bus or train and even air connections to major gateway cities in Europe.

On the Camino Frances, you are never more than a few hours from potable water, food, coffee and a toilet. You do not need a tent, cooking gear, or even a sleeping bag - depending on what time of year you go. Basically, you carry only clothes, toiletries, rain gear, basic first aid and comfort supplies, as well as a small amount of water to get you to the next fuente (fountain) or cafe. Funny though, how the weight manages to creep up on you.;)

If you can find a map of the European pilgrimage routes you will see that the northern routes converge at the three passes through the Pyrenees, like scallop shell designs - more or less. In Spain, the scallop metaphor continues, with many routes all converging on Santiago. Here are some examples:
However, if you study the second map, as it has only the more traveled routes, you will see that many of the Camino routes "flow" into the Camino Frances, joining it on the path toward Santiago de Compostela. In that context, the Camino Frances can be said to be the spine, or backbone of the Camino de Santiago.

Bottom line, if you KNOW you can only ever do one Camino, I recommend doing the Camino Frances, and doing it at the "hip" periods" to avoid the heat and larger crowds of summer. The period from a week or so after Easter, to mid-June is popular. Also popular is the period from around the second week of September into mid-November. Doing the Camino Frances at these times avoids the surge coming from students and faculty out of schools from the summer, and most facilities remain open through the end of November. The weather is also at its most temperate. Although as one, late, popular colleague of ours used to say: "The rain in Spain falls mainly on Galicia..." Ain't it true!?

If, like many of us, the thought that you will only do this once turns into our shared obsession (Caminoitis), the Camino Frances provides a very good "basic training" in how to walk a Camino and what the experience is all about. After a month on this route, you will know everything you need to know, plus this forum of course, to do any future pilgrimage. More importantly you will understand the appeal of pilgrimage ad of the Camino de Santiago in particular. It WILL make a profound impact on you.

Then, like mos tof us, you WILL find a way to come back again to try another route. Don't take my word for it, Try it. You will learn.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Tom. I really appreciate the feedback. I hope to leave my starting point on 9/14 and allow 40 days to reach SDC. Hopefully the crowds will be manageable by then. I won't rule out a another visit to the Camino, but I hope to move on to other adventures and do not foresee making multiple pilgrimages.

Thanks again,

Roger

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Tom. I really appreciate the feedback. I hope to leave my starting point on 9/14 and allow 40 days to reach SDC. Hopefully the crowds will be manageable by then. I won't rule out a another visit to the Camino, but I hope to move on to other adventures and do not foresee making multiple pilgrimages.

Thanks again,

Roger

I think that, if you leave by that date, you should be behind the last of the summer surge that moves along the Camino like a "pig in a python." Most of the schools across Europe, and indeed in the States, are back in full session by mid September. I would think that many of the folks walking at that time will be people who have very flexible schedules, like retirees, or others who might be self-employed or even between-jobs, who can come and go as they please.

But do use this forum to research the particularities of doing the Camino in the autumn. It will get cool at night and a lightweight sleeping bag is suggested, as are a warm cap and gloves - I use a Champion microfleece cap and gloves that I bought at my local Target. They were cheap and do the job. Also, the cap and gloves are lightweight, insulate even when wet and and dry quickly.

You will have the time of your life. Enjoy the journey!

Thanks again,

Roger
My suggestion is that you read about both the Francés and the Norte and then walk whichever calls to you the loudest. It is possible to move between them in some places. The Norte joins the Frances at Arzua but if you walk the Norte-Primitivo then you finally come onto the Francés at Palas de Rei or Melide so could experience all three.
If this is your only Camino then IMHO the most important thing is that it is right for you
Buen Camino

Last edited:
My suggestion is that you read about both the Francés and the Norte and then walk whichever calls to you the loudest. It is possible to move between them in some places. The Norte joins the Frances at Melide but if you walk the Norte-Primitivo then you finally come onto the Francés at Palas de Rei or Melide so could experience all three.
If this is your only Camino then IMHO the most important thing is that it is right for you
Buen Camino

I REALLY like, and support this reply. The bottom line is do your research, learn about the alternatives, ask your questions on the forum, sift the replies, then make YOUR decision. It will be the best one for you. NO matter what you decide, the forum members will be here to try to help.

Good post Tia...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just edited my post above. The Norte joins the Francés at Arzua, not Melide. Oops, sorry!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back