• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st timer starting in Leon mid-July 2012 :)

MtHood27

Hi Everyone! I'll be walking alone for 2 weeks from Leon to Santiago starting in mid-july. Anyone else going to be on the road around the same time and place? :) I'm very much looking forward to this new adventure. Also, if anyone has any advice about walking this portion during the hot summer that would be great! Buen Camino! :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Leon to Santiago in September in 2003 was my first Camino. It was hot!

Pack light, drink lots of water and try to get an early start.

I came from the US and was still jet-lagged at my first albuerge and was somewhat suprised when people started getting ready to leave at 4:30am. It took me a few days, but I quickly fell into the rhythm of the normal walking day.

Leon is a nice city to visit. You'll hit the end of the meseta but things will soon cool off once you hit the higher elevations.

Have fun. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Buen Camino,
Jeff

The first two days out of Leon is on a path created next to a highway with trucks bearing down on you all day! Perhaps you could consider getting a bus to Astorga and walking from there. You will then have time to walk to Finisterre from Santiago - a beautiful route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or west of Leon at La Virgen del Camino you might take the alternative camino route via Villar-de-Mazarife and then on to Hospital de Ă“rbigo. This is a most pleasant walk across fields and fens which I did last November. It was very nice to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl. At Villar de Mazarife I stayed at the Tio Pepe private albergue, and was welcomed like royalty. Their copious dinner was most delicious!

Buen Camino!

Margaret

mspath said:
Or west of Leon at La Virgen del Camino you might take the alternative camino route via Villar-de-Mazarife and then on to Hospital de Ă“rbigo.
Excellent advice> Less people, less traffic, though the July heat will be the same!

Leon itself is marvellous but, as wisely stated above, the exit and subsequent strethches are anything but glorious. I would aim to linger going through the Maragateria, the hills, go visit the Valle del Silencio and spend longer enjoying the sumptious cuisine of the Bierzo around Cacabelos.
Enjoy your journey.
All the best,
Duncan.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All great advice! Thank you so much! I really like the idea of starting in Astorga (skipping the highways) and then having time to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. I was trying to figure out if I had enough time to squeeze them in and I think that's the perfect way to not only make it work time wise but see some beautiful countryside! :D

I'm coming from Abu Dhabi, so I'm thinking jet leg shouldn't be too big of an issue. :) Thank you all again for the great advice!

Getting Excited!! Buen Camino! -Whitney

mspath said:
Or west of Leon at La Virgen del Camino you might take the alternative camino route via Villar-de-Mazarife and then on to Hospital de Ă“rbigo. This is a most pleasant walk across fields and fens which I did last November. It was very nice to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl. At Villar de Mazarife I stayed at the Tio Pepe private albergue, and was welcomed like royalty. Their copious dinner was most delicious!
I agree 100%! I quite like that stretch. The lady in Tio Pepe is lovely as well. One small problem was that the place was supposed to open at 7am to let all the pilgs out. However nobody was there to open the door and we were all locked in. (Windows etc were all locked or barred as well). The lady turned up at 8am on the dot to release us all. She was delighted to see all these pilgrims up and about so early, but it was because the clocks had moved forward to summertime a few days before and she'd forgotten to reset her alarm clock. :roll:

The private room I had there last year was bizarre as well. It was in a house up the street and the place was fully furnished, including clothes in the wardrobe and drawers etc! I felt like a burglar. :D

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.