• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 days to go and a late concern

steve392

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, September 2016
Fisterra, July 2018
Hi all,
I fly out to Biarritz on Monday for the start of my camino and I have everything in place and ready to go.
The only problem is that over the last couple of weeks I've been ill with flu and a chest infection and my fitness isn't what it should be. I'm concerned that the first 2 days (orisson booked) over the Pyrenees and into roncevalles is going to be a bit too demanding as my chest is still tight and I can't breath as freely as I should be. Therefore I don't want to be putting myself and anyone who would have to help me at risk if the worst should happen and I got into difficulties.
So my question is this. Is the lower route via valcarlos a lot easier?
Is there a bus service that could take me to roncevalles from SJPDP?
The bus option would be a last resort if I feel I needed it.
It would be a shame to miss the Pyrenees, but they aren't going anywhere and I can always go back another day. I just don't want to risk the entire camino just because I pushed myself too hard on the first couple of days.
Your thoughts and advise will be very welcome.
Steve.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Steve, sorry to hear about your flu. my advice would be to consult your doctor first and foremost and let him know your plans and take his advice. There used to be a bus from St Jean to Roncevalles but I don't have details of it at hand, but I am sure someone here will know.
I walked the lower route in 2012 and found it easy, past Valcarlos it got a bit harder. I would avoid going off the road after Valcarlos as these sections are very steep. I walked almost to Orrison in 2014 and found it tough going but then I had to abandon due to health problems.
I hope all works out for you and that you have a great Camino.
PS. I put this into Google and got several hits for a bus service.
"bus from st jean pied de port to roncesvalles"

A taxi is another way of getting over..as someone used that service when my wife and I were in sjpdp

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Valcarlos route has the added advantage that it is a pretty easy 13kms to Valcarlos and you can spend the night there and rest up for the steeper section from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles. It only takes 3-4 hours to get to Valcarlos and plenty of good places to sleep. Then if you leave around 9am from there you can take it real slow and easy and still arrive in Roncesvalles mid-afternoon, well ahead of the crowd that left SJPDP that day ensuring you get a good bunk at the Albergue and there will still be dinner and breakfast spots open. Next couple of days after that are pretty easy too so hoping you get your legs under you and your lungs back by then! Buen Camino!!

The Valcarlos route has the added advantage that it is a pretty easy 13kms to Valcarlos and you can spend the night there and rest up for the steeper section from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles. It only takes 3-4 hours to get to Valcarlos and plenty of good places to sleep. Then if you leave around 9am from there you can take it real slow and easy and still arrive in Roncesvalles mid-afternoon, well ahead of the crowd that left SJPDP that day ensuring you get a good bunk at the Albergue and there will still be dinner and breakfast spots open. Next couple of days after that are pretty easy too so hoping you get your legs under you and your lungs back by then! Buen Camino!!

That's got my vote .... Assuming you are fit to fly ...

Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Based on my own experience, I second @jozero's suggestion. SJPDP to Valcarlos is a nice, gentle walk from France into Spain without putting your body under too much pressure. The albergue in Valcarlos is excellent and there are many places to eat and stock up on snacks etc. for the lower climb over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. Wishing you a speedy recovery - take some of those effervescent vitamin c tablets with you to help build your resistance - and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all.
The lower is looking the more likely as time passes. Hopefully come Monday morning i'll be feeling a lot better and shouldn't have to worry too much.
Steve

My vote as well, for all the reasons given above. If you don't feel up to the next day's steep trail (check the altitude charts) it would be easy to arrange transportation to Roncesvalles. The night we stayed, one woman felt ill and took a taxi the next morning to a clinic somewhere further along. (She ultimately made it to Santiago, so this was clearly a good move.)
We took the trail, absolutely beautiful! But it's through woods, very isolated, very off the beaten path. I didn't see a single other pilgrim the entire day, so the road might be a better choice if your health is a concern.
Hope you are fully recovered soon. Buen Camino!

Hydrate, B complex vitamins and zinc, bus to Pamplona and hang out there for a couple of days until you feel better and hit the trail.
The CF is a plenty nice walk from there. You wouldn't be depriving yourself of anything.
cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Valcarlos route is gorgeous, authentic, and in no way a 'poor second choice.' If it turns out you feel OK to walk (versus taking Express Bourricot or a bus) I'd also wholeheartedly recommend that--and it has the added advantage of being less popular.;)
Whatever--go to SJPP and decide what to do when you get there, depending on how you feel and the weather.
Buen Caamino, Steve!

Cheers again guys.
Woke up this morning and feel pretty good. Still have the tightness in my chest though.
6am at the moment and I'll be out the door and on my way in about an hour. The valcarlos route looks pretty good and I'm sure I'll be able to walk it with no problems. Still very unsure about route napoleon though.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I start walking.
Thanks once again and buen camino to you all.
Steve

Good luck Steve, take it easy, you might find that once on the trail the lack on anxiety will help further. I fly out next week 14/09 and over the weekend have tweaked something in my back which is painful and annoying. Hopefully it will settle, give it a couple of days then a quick visit to my chiro could be on the cards!
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Quick update.
By the time I got to sjpdp I wasn't feeling too bad at all. Sat down with 3 other pilgrims for dinner and decided to just man up and walk the route napoleon.
I honestly thought it would be a lot more tougher than it was. The worst part for me was getting up to orrrison where I'd booked a bed for the night but decided not to stay as I was feeling good. Once past orrison i honestly thick that it's more about the distance than the gradient and the last ascent just before you reach lepoeder that makes it tough. Made it to roncevalles just after 3 pm.
3 days later and after a rest day in pamplona (fantastic) I'm starting to feel ill again. Typical. Farmacia here i come.

Pamplona is a good place to stay for another day or two, to be sure you are on the mend properly! You did say you had a chest infection, so it might need further treatment.

Hi all,
I fly out to Biarritz on Monday for the start of my camino and I have everything in place and ready to go.
The only problem is that over the last couple of weeks I've been ill with flu and a chest infection and my fitness isn't what it should be. I'm concerned that the first 2 days (orisson booked) over the Pyrenees and into roncevalles is going to be a bit too demanding as my chest is still tight and I can't breath as freely as I should be. Therefore I don't want to be putting myself and anyone who would have to help me at risk if the worst should happen and I got into difficulties.
So my question is this. Is the lower route via valcarlos a lot easier?
Is there a bus service that could take me to roncevalles from SJPDP?
The bus option would be a last resort if I feel I needed it.
It would be a shame to miss the Pyrenees, but they aren't going anywhere and I can always go back another day. I just don't want to risk the entire camino just because I pushed myself too hard on the first couple of days.
Your thoughts and advise will be very welcome.
Steve.
It is definitely an uphill climb and you will be out of breath but staying in Orisson will break it up. Don't fall into the trap of worrying about other people passing you by. Take lots of mini breaks. If you don't feel up to the next day's long climb you can get a ride from Orisson down to a bus I believe. From Orrison to Roncevalles is a long haul and there is no way to get to alternate transportation at a certain point. If your lungs feel weak after your night in Orrison, don't continue up that way!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back