• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 American women planning Camino in October/November

pilgrimyogi

Hello fellow peregrinos! I am planning my first camino in October with two other friends. Each of us independently had the idea to do the trip--there must be something in the air! We have started training to figure out what footwear and packs will be best and are reading everything we can. Thanks to all who have gone before and who have shared information here. So far we plan to begin at SJPP, either coming from Madrid via Pamplona or San Sebastien, but perhaps from Paris or from Bilbao depending on what flights we get (we're coming from Seattle). With great anticipation!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello:

Always happy to see fellow Americans walking the Camino.

Not sure what your hiking experience is so training advice I will skip for the moment. In regards to shoes, I would recommend an REI store and let them make suggestions. I wore low cut Merril hiking shoes with vibrum soles and Smartwool socks but everyone is different. The same with your packs, they will fit you in the store.

Pack as light as you possibly can and then you will still overpack. Start slowly, I recommend you break the normal first day into two days and stay at Orisson the first night. You need to make a reservation. The first day, I found, was the most difficult. It can have a big impact on the next few days.

Another possibly issue is that you will be walking with others. This can sometime present a problem as very few people hike at the same pace. I would recommend you discuss this ahead of time. In your training you will see the differences in your individual pace. There is a thread that talks about this issue. I recommend you read how others dealt with this situation and think about how you might work differences out between yourselves.

This is going to be a great experience. If I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey...welcome and Buen Camino! Joe is so right (at least for me!) about breaking that first day. Orisson is beautiful and you can even stay in a tent so you get the fun of camping on the mountain without any of the work..the tents are on lovely level platforms with very comfy mattresses. So you wind up with all the ammenities of the Alburgue and it's also cheaper.

There are a ton of threads here for darn near everything you could think of...so have fun. Your lucky to be in the Seattle area. You've got the REI flagship to shop in! And you have mountains to use for training! Here in NJ where I am...I used my stairs! :shock: But in the end, it was the trip of a lifetime!

Wish you all Buen Camino, Karin

Be sure to make contact with the APOC Seattle chapter before you leave. They just had their annual St. James Feast day celebration. There are a lot of active people in Seattle. I'm from Portland and would be happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

It is good to hear about your trip. I lived in Bellevue for many years, but now I live in Abu Dhabi. I miss the gang that met every year in July to commemorate St. James and the Camino by doing a walk and eating together. I hope you have participated with them; they would also be a great resource for each of you.

Please keep us posted about your progress and your adventure on Camino. You will have a great time of it. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. This forum can answer all your questions, but if you ask a question it will readily be answered.

Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
re tent at Orisson. Not a good idea. You will freeze! Make sure you are booked in to the albergue itself.

You are walking out of season which brings its own advantages and challenges, but there is likely to be fewer people on the road competing for beds. This should make accomodation somewhat easier.

Some of the private albergues will have closed but the municipals usually stay open all year round (though if there are two municipals a village apart they may close one and expect you to walk to the next: in December 2010 Ligonde was closed but Eirexe was open). The Seminar Minor in Santiago shut last year at the end of October, despite it being a Holy Year.

As a rule of thumb you should carry no more than 10% of your body weight or 10kg max. Don't be tempted to take something you might need because you are under the limit; if it is not essential don't bring it. Remember that water is heavy and allow some weight space for that.

I walked Sarria to SDC in early December 2010 and had 2 days of warm, bright sunshine - a local siad this is March weather - so be prepared to expect anything. The mountains will be cold.

There is much to be said for agreeing a destination for the night and walking at your own paces to the place. However, I have also walked more slowly to stay with pilgrims for a couple of days simply because I liked their company.

I agree with renegade that you should contact the Seatle branch of your Confraternity-there is nothing like having experienced pilgrims to talk to before going, though I also urge you to do it your way and how you want to do it.

Thanks, everyone! I didn't know about the Seattle confraternity and will be sure to make contact. I also appreciate the thoughts about finding a good pace in a group situation. I am several inches taller than my companions but like to "saunter" so I'm sure we'll manage! We've also agreed to split up and speed up or slow down if so inclined.

jpflavin1 said:
Pack as light as you possibly can and then you will still overpack. Start slowly, I recommend you break the normal first day into two days and stay at Orisson the first night. You need to make a reservation. The first day, I found, was the most difficult. It can have a big impact on the next few days.

Joe

Sound advice from Joe - I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago in October to end on the 1st of November. The Autumn colours blaze all around and there are fewer pilgrims about. Make sure you take warm clothing with - the nights and mornings can be very cold. I think you have choosen one of the best times of the year to walk - enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you know what day you are setting out from SJPP do it now if you can. If it is too early to make a booking find out when the window opens.

I would confirm the reservation about a week before you are due to arrive so that both the owner and yourself know you will be turning up.

If for any reason you can't make. then courtsey says you phone to cancel. I suspect that will simply not happen.

I agree totally with Methodist.Pilgrim re booking now and confirmation a few days before arrival. The email address is
refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
and it is better to write in French if possible. I stayed there last year but they lost my booking so I slept in the laundry, together with 2 Korean girls who had not booked! The communal evening dinner is great - all sitting at a big long table and we introduced ourselves (in stilted French) and it was very friendly.I will be joining the Camino Frances at puenta la reina about the Sep 20. and I will be the old guy from Australia. Buen Camino David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for all the advice on booking this spot, I wasn't aware that reservations were even possible along the camino, this must be an exception??? I am one of the three American women traveling, the short one . . . .

Sequoyah said:
Thanks for all the advice on booking this spot, I wasn't aware that reservations were even possible along the camino, this must be an exception??? I am one of the three American women traveling, the short one . . . .

Hi Sequoah,

You can't book in the municipal and parochial albergues but you can book a bed in any of the private hostals.
I walked with a friend whose pace mirrors my own and that certainly was a help especially in the first few days. After that we quite often walked 'together but apart' with maybe .5-3kms between us for anything up to a couple of hours. We'd discussed that before leaving home and it worked out really well.
We started from SJPP in early April and got some heavy snow over the Pyrenees and met intermittent snow/ice/freezing fog on higher ground as far west as O'Cebreiro. Pack so you can 'layer up' if it gets very cold. I didn't feel the cold as much as Frances (one of the advantages of being somewhat 'Rubenesque' :lol: ) so she carried an additional light fleece.
The two of us often linked up with solo walkers for sections of the way and found that the dynamic with 3 walkers (especially if all using walking poles) was that generally we'd end up with two walking abreast and the third positioned either in front or behind. Over the course of an hour or so all 3 walkers would change positions, and if walking over a whole day then there'd be quite a number of 'shifts'. Never really quite sure what dictated the shift changes-it just happened naturally. Possibly dictated by individuals changes in pace and/or mood.
Walking your Camino with old friends (though of course you will make many new friends en route as well) can be very rewarding as no matter how well you think you know them you'll have reached a whole different level of knowledge by the time you get to Santiago!

Have fun.

Nell

Hi,

I cant offer any advice here but thought i would introduce myself as i will be doing the camino with my partner for the first time at around the same time as you. Getting very excited, only decided on the spur about two weeks ago to do it. Will be getting to Bilbao on the 7th October so might see you round!!

Also some excellent advice on this thread. Never thought about splitting the first day in two. brilliant idea :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laura.

Welcome to you and your partner.

Have you checked the FAQ's? If not do so pdq. Particularly check about equipment (where there is plenty of conflicting advice so work out what suits you) and also about credentials. You cannot stay in the municipal or church albergues without one.

You need to be aware that the Camino weather from October onwards will be wonderfully variable. You could well get sunburnt one day, soaked the next and frozen the day after that. Not a problem but needs some preparation.

Once you've checked the FAQ and digested the info if you have specific questions come back to the forum. We love giving advice. :D

If you read the FAQ's and think, OMG what have we let oursleves in for remember this, we've all done the same no matter how long the gap between the decision and the starting.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the great advice, nellpilgrim and all--and HELLO to Francis and Laura--I hope we meet! For a number of reasons, we've decided to begin at Roncesvalles (although we plan to have lunch in SJPP before driving over the mountains to our albergue). Any thoughts on starting at Roncesvalles?

I met a woman today who did the Camino Frances a number of years ago. She said no matter what, you will get sore feet and sore legs. Beyond the question of blisters, which one hopes of course to prevent, do peregrinos typically end up injured, sore, depleted, exhausted at some point on the trip? Do they find they get stronger and feel better toward the end? Or is this just too variable to say? Are there health benefits?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Eight caminos, and I have "hit the wall" on every one after about a week to a week and one-half. The cure is a rest day.

franciscorrigan said:
Am hoping tonstart from SJPP on 5th october, so look out for a 'knackered' englishman!

FRANCIS

Hey,
two Florida girls leaving from Pamplona on October 9th. Maybe our paths will cross as well.
Deborah

Deborah,

I will happily look out for you as well.

This whole venture is well outside my comfort zone, including going on my own.....but then that is part of the real purpose!

I hope we get the chance to meet.

Francis

Eight caminos, and I have "hit the wall" on every one after about a week to a week and one-half.
I agree with Falcon, i've only done 2 but the second was too short, I swore I'd never walk again when I walked from Samos to Santiago :( Walking from Roncesvalles I hit the wall about Logrono, but it gets better, not easy but better!

This whole venture is well outside my comfort zone, including going on my own
Francis, don't worry about being on your own, you can't imagine how friendly people are, you can be as alone or as accompanied as you want. I doubt it is really in anyones comfort zone though sometimes you may wonder. A walk in the park it ain't, but one becomes obsessed. I reckon it's like having a baby, you forget the pain afterwards, but I don't suppose that is within your experience either :)
Relax and enjoy!
Buen Camino
Sue

I hope you all will stop in at Moratinos when you pass through the Meseta, and say hello to Your Fellow ´Merican. It gets lonesome out here in the off-season. And we are donativo.

Rebekah

Love to, Rebekah. Is this the same albergue you mention in your post about a new albergue in Moratinos? I spent some time today on your blog and really reading it and watching the film most recently posted. Cheers!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back