• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 Months to go and the packing is done

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I've really had some fun putting my list together, I'll only know wether it's right when I'm on the camino, I guess that's all part of the excitement.

Please have a look and let me know if I'm over the top or not ,prepared.

Myself I thought that coming out at just under 7.5 kg was a good weight considering my body weight is 100kgs.

Rucksack 1500
Walking sandles 300
Shower Footwear 150
Rain Poncho 334
Wind Jacket 91
Hat + Cap 169
Gloves 40
Waterproof pants 420

Socks x 3 164
Underpants x3 114
Marino T Shirt x 3 344
Zip off pants x 2 400
Fleece 320
Long sleeved
Marino 239

Sleeping pants 210
Silk sleeping
bag liner 120
pillow case 91
Micro towel 50
soap 125
Tooth brush 20
Tooth paste 90
Razor 40
Deoderant 70
First Aid Kit 70
Sewing kit 23
Diabetes Tablets
(7 Week Supply) 144
E 45 cream 85
Sun block 110

Tea bags 130
Spare glasses 117
Swiss Army Knife 88
Cork Screw 64
iphone 132
Cup 47

Smartube ?
Water 1000

Total 7341.00

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great list Waka but I would need sunglasses too?

Swiss army knife and corkscrew? Thought there was a corkscrew on a swiss army Knife? If you bringing a long sleeved merino wool top then I would only bring 2 short sleeved ones. I walked in the 2nd week of September last year and some days the temperature hit 38 C on the C.F. so personally I would bring 2 polypro short sleeved base layers, leave the 2 merino short sleeves at home and bring the long sleeved merino for the sometimes cold early mornings. Noticeable weight saving if you do. I'd ditch the deodorant and just bring the soap, the deodorant won't really be effective in really hot weather and you'll be having a shower when you finish daily.

Buen camino

Seamus

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wouldn't bother with the sleeping pants and one of the short-sleeved merinos (two will be plenty, especially with a long-sleeved one too).
Instead of a pillowcase I prefer to take a scarf which has many uses.
I'm told corkscrews are unnecessary but someone is bound to disagree.
Don't forget a charging cable for your phone.

But if you're happy with what you have packed, then there's really nothing wrong with your list!

Waka, You have done very well and if you take some if not all of the suggestions I think you are there with a good pack. Buen Camino.

Ed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've really had some fun putting my list together, I'll only know wether it's right when I'm on the camino, I guess that's all part of the excitement.

Please have a look and let me know if I'm over the top or not ,prepared.

Myself I thought that coming out at just under 7.5 kg was a good weight considering my body weight is 100kgs.

Rucksack 1500
Walking sandles 300
Shower Footwear 150
Rain Poncho 334
Wind Jacket 91
Hat + Cap 169
Gloves 40
Waterproof pants 420

Socks x 3 164
Underpants x3 114
Marino T Shirt x 3 344
Zip off pants x 2 400
Fleece 320
Long sleeved
Marino 239

Sleeping pants 210
Silk sleeping
bag liner 120
pillow case 91
Micro towel 50
soap 125
Tooth brush 20
Tooth paste 90
Razor 40
Deoderant 70
First Aid Kit 70
Sewing kit 23
Diabetes Tablets
(7 Week Supply) 144
E 45 cream 85
Sun block 110

Tea bags 130
Spare glasses 117
Swiss Army Knife 88
Cork Screw 64
iphone 132
Cup 47

Smartube ?
Water 1000

Total 7341.00
You did well with your backpack, my backpack was 9kg. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Not one to ignore advice I have taken all the comments into account and the weight of my rucksack has dropped to 6.7 kg which includes 1 kg of water.
Thanks for the advice, now I've just got to wait 3 months.
Time to start training with the rucksack methinks.
OK Waka I'm going to look at my list and see your achievement as a challenge and get mine down to at least the same weight! I'm really impressed that this is WITH water.
Me too on the training with pack, last time I had done plenty of mileage but not nearly enough with pack and found my first day quite difficult.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
OK Waka I'm going to look at my list and see your achievement as a challenge and get mine down to at least the same weight! I'm really impressed that this is WITH water.
Me too on the training with pack, last time I had done plenty of mileage but not nearly enough with pack and found my first day quite difficult.
Buen Camino

I guess when it comes down to it there's a lot that we can do without, I'm a bit worried about only tasking one spare set of clothes, but I must rely on the experience of others. The other thing to note is that I'm not taking a sleeping bag which would weigh upwards of 1 kg, so that makes it all a lot lighter.
Good luck in culling your belongings, let me know how you get on.

I guess when it comes down to it there's a lot that we can do without, I'm a bit worried about only tasking one spare set of clothes, but I must rely on the experience of others. The other thing to note is that I'm not taking a sleeping bag which would weigh upwards of 1 kg, so that makes it all a lot lighter.
Good luck in culling your belongings, let me know how you get on.
Waka,
I too am extremely impressed with your pack and it's weight! My husband and I are walking the Camino Frances in three months also--perhaps we'll see one another. At any rate, we haven't started putting things together yet, but your list will be helpful for us. The only thing I didn't see on your list is a clothesline and safety pins. From what I've read here, those are really helpful to have. Oh...and one other thing that I never leave home without--duct tape--but perhaps that's part of the first aid kit.
Buen Camino

Waka,
I too am extremely impressed with your pack and it's weight! My husband and I are walking the Camino Frances in three months also--perhaps we'll see one another. At any rate, we haven't started putting things together yet, but your list will be helpful for us. The only thing I didn't see on your list is a clothesline and safety pins. From what I've read here, those are really helpful to have. Oh...and one other thing that I never leave home without--duct tape--but perhaps that's part of the first aid kit.
Buen Camino

Donna

I have the safety pins in with there sewing kit and medical tape in the first aid kit. Regarding the clothesline I'd not thought of that, my impression was that there is plenty of drying space. So as not to be disappointed I'll go get one, I don't think it will make much difference to the pack weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carried a clothesline on my first camino and never used it once. There was always place to hang my few items. Jill

Something really thin
Donna

I have the safety pins in with there sewing kit and medical tape in the first aid kit. Regarding the clothesline I'd not thought of that, my impression was that there is plenty of drying space. So as not to be disappointed I'll go get one, I don't think it will make much difference to the pack weight.
Something thin and weightless.
Does not need to be an elaborate line.....You will need this maybe once or twice or thrice but will really come in handy then....Ed

Last edited:
I ended up using my clothesline a lot. Being a slow walker clothes drying line space was pretty much filled by the time I'd get anywhere so I'd attach my line to the underside of the top bunk and dry my items there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tremendously helpful packing list.
And yes, the waiting, with packing done. Good that the days and weeks fly so fast :)

Last edited:
Are you bring a guide book or a journal?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I will be taking Brierleys with me, haven't weighed it but I guess I should, although it will be in my pocket not my pack.
I plan on walking the same time as you, leaving SJPP on August 31. I have almost the exact same list, except I am normally cold nature and I have a sleeping bag instead of silk liner. Another thing that most people are is a "must" is earplugs (which way next to nothing) and insect repellent.

The list looks good to me too. Buen Camino to all of you and I hope to see you on the trail.

I leave SJPdP on Sept 7th and will be in no particular hurry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The list looks good to me too. Buen Camino to all of you and I hope to see you on the trail.

I leave SJPdP on Sept 7th and will be in no particular hurry.

Mike I start the day before you on there 6th, first night in Orrison, I'm sure you'll catch me up.

He Mike. I bet that you catch up to us....

Mike I start the day before you on there 6th, first night in Orrison, I'm sure you'll catch me up.

I hope to be staying my first night in Orrison too. I emailed them Sunday and have not heard back yet. I will watch for you both on the trail. I will be the one with the gray handlebar moustache.

Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back