• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

38-44l backpack

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I was "fortunate" that my brand new Osprey backpack that I took on the Camino did not live up to expectations - the backing on the fabric started peeling off after 2 weeks, and so I am able to replace it. I had bought a 55l Ariel as I knew I was carrying gear for my daughter as well and that was to include two sleeping bags. In the end we left the sleeping bags at home and the pack was NEVER anywhere near full. As I will not have to carry her gear again I would like the replacement to be a smaller pack. I did a trial pack of all my gear incluing sleeping bag in my son's 36 litre pack and it fit, although there would be little room for food. So I am thinking a 38-44l bag would be ideal.
I am happy with toploading (never used the J-panel access zip on the Ariel), and I do not need a separate sleeping bag compartment. I would like pockets on the hip belt and even one of the straps to put a GPS in. If the top flap of the bag could also incorporate a zipped pocket I would be a very happy hiker. Weight of the pack ought not exceed 1.4kg (perferably less)
I know fit is a very personal thing (and for the record, the Osprey Ariel was WONDERFUL for me), but I'd be interested to know if anyone has used a pack that fits my description.
TIA

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But of course! Since you have already had a good "fit" experience with the Osprey packs, I suggest the Osprey Exos 46. I've used it this year (my third pack, third osprey pack, each one lighter than its predecessor) and will not be replacing it for the next trip. It's light (2 lbs 1 oz), comfortable, and sturdy (survived two long falls in the Czech Republic). (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/superlight/exos_series)

Although the nominal volume is 46L, it packs similar to the Osprey Kestrel 38, since (1) the water bladder pocket is within this volume, (2) the full length stash pocket protrudes into the pack volume rather than expanding externally, and (3) the side mount water bottle pockets also protrude into the main pack volume. I mention these factors because some might be tempted to get the Exos 34 instead, but I really think that is too small for pilgrim use, unless one is able to avoid carrying groceries.

What I love about the Exos 46 pack: (1) the well-ventilated back suspension architecture; (2) enough pockets but not too many, (3) very very comfortable to wear, (4) sturdy enough for rough handling and (5) so light weight. There is a very lightweight internal frame - which is NOT adjustable. So make certain you are measured and get the appropriate pack size.

Thanks for that quick reply Kitsambler. Do you mind me asking what kind of weight you were carrying? Some reviews suggest the harness is not so good if you carry too much weight - apparently it digs in to your shoulders - but they did not state what they carried. (My aim would be 6kg, but I know I can carry 9kg comfortably) Am I right in guessing you would disagree?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Lowe Alpine Nanon 35-40 is very convenient and comfortable at 9 kg. it adjusts to different torso lengths.

Kiwi-family said:
Do you mind me asking what kind of weight you were carrying? ... (My aim would be 6kg, but I know I can carry 9kg comfortably)

I was carrying 15 lbs dry load, plus food and water about 4-5 lbs. And lately I have been doing training hikes with 28 lbs total. Very comfortable. You will need a rain cover of some sort - either separate or as part of an Altus-type raincoat, since there is not a built-in/attached pack cover included.

I use the Osprey Talon 44 which I have been extremely happy with. I usually carry 4-6 kilos also because I never use the hip belt (not because of the design, but because i hav an injury and the weight on my sholders are better for my leg. I did used to use it and it was quite comfortable)

You can comfortably carry more than i did if you like

weight is 1,1 in large which is quite good

here is Ospreys own weight recommendations

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/m ... ifications

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
My Lowe Alpine Nanon 35-40 is very convenient and comfortable at 9 kg. it adjusts to different torso lengths.

Thought you were an Aarn Man!(what have you used on your recents(many) Caminos'(Onimac's)

Me, various Macpac's very comfortable, & now a new 'weightless aarn', which self adjusts if you can remember which lever(strap) to pull, incredibly comfortable, Not called Magic for nothing :D.

If you've got a weird back(me & many others), you've got to get a self adjusting pack or one where you can bend the frame shape to your back, strange really cause most of weight is taken on the hips, & we are all different in the hip department so we need to be able to adjust the shape of the hip belt, cause its so much more comfortable.

Kitsambler said:
I suggest the Osprey Exos 46

I have used this one on 4 caminos. I would generally agree with what Kitsambler says, however when I have strayed over the 9kg carrying weight it starts to cut into my shoulders, and i have found similar complaints from other users. When I had a weight of 6kg(not including water) on the CP I forgot it was there, so comforable did it feel. My exos 46 is a large size and weighs 1.1kg, I am tempted to get rid of the lid and few other straps and other things I have not used, this would still keep its capacity at around 42l but take its weight down to about 800-850g.

I too have an Osprey Talon 44 and like Pieces find it very comfortable, though I do use the hip belt. It has an adjustable harness which means I managed to get it to fit well for my 5' 10" height, though I am not sure if it would be suitable if I was taller. I am overweight at 95 kilos but that's an overall distribution, not just at the waist. I make this comment because obviously this affects how a pack sits on the hips. I don't feel the pack weight (6 kilos plus water/food) either on my shoulders or hips and don't feel any soreness during or at the end of the walk. I find it difficult to use the side pockets without sliding the pack off a shoulder (I'm a bit stiff shouldered and at 63 a little less flexible than before), so I use the Hydration System. I also find the zips on hip pockets a little fiddly to close. Once I have packed I find plenty of spare room inside (without a sleeping bag) for those presents and new post Camino clothes. All in all it was a very good buy for me, and one I am very happy with. I hope this helps and good luck with your selection.
Buen Camino
allan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lise T said:
Hey Kiwifamily....

Can I ask what range of the Osprey was the one that had the fabric breaking away?
And where abouts in New Zealand did you buy it and did you get help making sure it was a good fit for your back etc. at the shop?

Lise

I bought an Osprey Ariel 55 from Bivouac in Auckland. It's just the fabric at the very top where the drawstring goes through that is cracking and peeling. It does not actually affect the functionality of the pack, but I lodged my complaint because I expect something to last longer than a fortnight. They have been very good about taking it back and returning it to see what Osprey says - at this stage I have not heard back from them, but they were thinking it would not be "fixable" and so would probably need to be replaced.
Before this pack I had a Macpac that lasted 20 years before the fabric started peeling off the harness and so you can see why I expected more than two weeks. (And even after 20 years, Macpac honoured their lifetime guarantee and provided a new harness!!)
I went with Osprey because the fit was so much better (yes, I tried it in the store - but to be honest, I had more of an idea of what I needed to look for than the assistant who was intent on selling me a 30l pack because that's what he had used on his trip :roll: I don't think he heard that I was carrying gear for two people and maybe he failed to also see that I was female whereas he was not)
We have four other Osprey packs - 2xExposure 36 and Exposure 50, which are no longer available, and an old style Stratos 24. They got some hard use on our fifteen month adventure and we took them again this time for our Camino trip. One of the straps holding the lid on tore away one day, but we sewed it up. On our return we took it back to the store and they have sent it off to Osprey to be mended properly, despite being bought in 2007. No complaints about their service at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be interested to see what I can find here. I saw some lovely-looking German bags while walking, but we don't seem to stock them in this part of the world.

Lise I've not long returned from walking SJPP to Finisterre and after trying many brands decided on a Deuter Women's ACT lite SL 45 + 10 pack. Weighs 1.4kg and could be adjusted to fit my short torso. We bonded beautifully over 35 days and I would highly recommend the Deuter brand.
I carried about 9kgs by the way. Got the pack in Wellington and absolutely love it.
Yvonne
Mighty Masterton

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
So, whatcha all buying? The sale and coupons are burning a hole in my pocket but I can’t decide what I want/need.
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.