• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 Simple Yes Or No Questions From A Newbie.

JackRabbitSlims

Hi.
First time posting on here, so be gentle.
First Camino (maybe), so be gentle.

I have 5 questions that I'd like answered with a simple Yes or No - Thanks.

1) Can I catch a Train at CDG before 10.30am and be in SJPDP by Sundown (early June)?
2) The Train goes CDG to Bayonne, change trains and Bayonne to SJPDP?
3) Do I need to book my first nights accommodation in SJPDP or just turn up? (early June, probably first week)
4) Will I need a sleeping bag for the month of June?
5) Can I carrying on walking down into Portugal once I finish? i.e., going against the grain of those coming from Portugal?

Thank you very much if you can help me out.
Cheers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1) Can I catch a Train at CDG before 10.30am and be in SJPDP by Sundown (early June)?
2) The Train goes CDG to Bayonne, change trains and Bayonne to SJPDP?
3) Do I need to book my first nights accommodation in SJPDP or just turn up? (early June, probably first week)
4) Will I need a sleeping bag for the month of June?
5) Can I carrying on walking down into Portugal once I finish? i.e., going against the grain of those coming from Portugal?
1. yes
2. yes
3. no, yes
4. yes
5. yes

1. yes
2. yes
3. no, yes
4. yes
5. yes

Sorry, Having a few problems with this Forum format for replying :)

Thanks for the prompt reply falcon269.
What rated bag do you recommend? - I know you cannot predict the weather, but what sort of temp ranges could i expect?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
#5 yes, following the way to Fatima, which is marked with blue arrows

What rated bag do you recommend?
In June a nylon or silk sleeping bag liner is sufficient for me, but I like being a little bit cold at night. Indoor temperatures will be at least 50F, so a bag rated for about that will keep you warm. Almost all albergues require that you have sleep linens of some sort; no sleeping directly on the mattress, which you don't want to do anyway.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fatima is located between Porto and Lisbon, south east of Coimbra, east of Bathala and west from Tomar - all far more interesting places to visit. the Blue arrows will get you well into Portugal. Fatima on a regular day has all the amenities of an empty football field, surrounded by touts and hawkers of all religious items. The place reflects the unfortunate period in Portuguese history when it was built and the leader who ruled then. Try Bom Jesus just off the way at Braga for a far more satisfying spiritual experience.

Thank you!! You've all been a huge help. Love this website :)

One more question: - Which is the best website to book your Train Tickets from? - I'd like to Train from arrival at CDG all the way to SJPDP and maybe spend 2 nights there before setting off. Is that OK? or do they expect you to only have 1 night in SJPDP.

I'm currently traveling in India, will be in Nepal before arriving in France and will not be in my home country (NZ) before arrival. I plan to Trek with my small pack and have my large pack sent forward to the finish....is this command practice and are there several companies offering this service?

Sorry, my 5 simple yes or no questions have blown out a wee bit :D

Thanks once again for all your help.
Cheers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
www.sncf.com is the French website for train tickets. It is showing one train from Montparnasse to SJPdP connecting in Bayonne, departing 12:28 and arriving 7:03 hours later at a fare of 70.30E.

Thanks falcon!
I'll check out that site.
Hoping I can just go thru Immigration at CDG and then go directly to the Train Station at the airport for the Paris to Bayonne leg of the trip.
How is Bayonne for a destination?? OK for 1 night if my logistics don't go to plan :)

jack rabbit i would agree with the other answers except in my opinion you will not need sleeping bag, take a silk liner like i did in autumn, all you need.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks falcon!
I'll check out that site.
Hoping I can just go thru Immigration at CDG and then go directly to the Train Station at the airport for the Paris to Bayonne leg of the trip.
How is Bayonne for a destination?? OK for 1 night if my logistics don't go to plan :)
There are a couple of inexpensive hotels directly across from the Bayonne train station.

In Bayonne the Hotel-Restaurant Monte Carlo which is directly opposite the railroad station is a good inexpensive choice. Here is their web.

@lawrence graves - thanks, yes, I'd like to not carry a sleeping bad and rely on the liner........I'd also like to not be cold :) roll of the dice I suppose?
@Kitsambler - Thank you :)
@mspath - Thank you as well :) - I'll save that site in my "Camino 2014" folder.

Once again - thanks for all the great help you guys and gals!! - This site is very good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. no
5. yes

Yesnoyes nononoyes yesyesyes noyesno yesnono!! :confused:

Have you been drinking Thomas o_O

Thanks for your input......still undecided on the Sleeping Bag V's Liner situation.

Just being lazy right now and will do more research later in the day, but......how many more days is the trek down into Portugal?? I know it's a huge call to sit here right now (Goa) and say "yeah, once I finish in Spain, I'll carry on to Portugal" but just putting a very loose plan in place that can easily be edited ;).

Thanks Team!!

Jack Rabbit, don't be surprised if once you're in Santiago that you feel like you've just gotten warmed up and you'll be ready to continue on to Portugal. As for the train from CDG to Bayonne, make sure you board on the correct section. When we rode it, we thought it was one long train. Nope. The back section (where we boarded) was continuing on to another city. The train personnel insisted we were on the correct section, then, with maybe a minute to spare began yelling at us to get off and run to the front section. We all made it (barely), but it gave us a good laugh later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@David - at this stage, I'm just working on making my way to SJPDP....I'lll make the rest up as I go :) - I have no real time frame to be out of Europe (well, 90 days), hence my question about carrying on to Portugal.
Thanks for the heads up re the trains..I was in Europe for 3 months last year and took the Train all over...I'm familiar with that very confusing situation....:confused:

Thomas - you know I'm just havin a larf!!;)

Thanks again!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back