• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A busy April?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
The forum community is a tiny part of the overall Camino community, but I think that trends here mirror the overall Camino trends somewhat.

And if that is true, according to our Calendar threads then this April looks to be very busy.

As of today, 85 forum members have signed up for April, and 39 for May.

The 2023 numbers for the two months were very close: 337 in April, and 299 in May.

I'm sure that there are other factors in play as to why there are currently so many more April starts than May starts. Primarily because people are still making their plans.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We shall leave SJPP on May 1st. I have just completed booking accommodation all the way to Pamplona, as recommended by many.

I was surprised how difficult it was - our preferred SJPP gite, as well as our preferred hotel, were already booked out. And in requesting a double room further down the track I was basically apologising for booking so early. The reply came back that they only have two beds left, in a triple room, and would that do?

I was wondering if May Day being mid-week this year would mean fewer regular tourists / hikers out and about. Apparently not.

So a heads up I guess, for others taking part in the May Peregrino stampede.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was wondering if May Day being mid-week this year would mean fewer regular tourists / hikers out and about. Apparently not.
Actually the opposite is more likely to be true. And especially with Easter being so early this year.
Certainly here in Germany many people decide to at the very least make a long weekend of it (May day) and it's not unusual to just decide to take the entire week off. As the Spanish are renowned for walking the Camino on any possible public holiday it's not surprising that their first real opportunity after Easter is going to be fairly full. Throw in the fact that April and May are pretty popular times for the International community to also walk and numbers are going to be high.
The other consideration is that you are looking for a double, of which fewer exist, and are more commonly sought by local tourists and pilgrims alike.

The forum community is a tiny part of the overall Camino community, but I think that trends here mirror the overall Camino trends somewhat.

And if that is true, according to our Calendar threads then this April looks to be very busy.

The 2023 numbers for the two months were very close: 337 in April, and 299 in May.

I'm sure that there are other factors in play as to why there are currently so many more April starts than May starts. Primarily because people are still making their plans.
At the pilgrims' office it was 2023:
in April 9604 pilgrims
in May 10890 pilgrims

I plan to begin my first Camino walk the first week of April. I’ve been approaching with the attitude to NOT advance book any reservations for lodging along the way, allowing the Camino “to provide”. To the veterans, is this wise? Should I consider at least booking SJPP at beginning? Thoughts, recommendations please.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only two weeks into 2024 so maybe a bit early for trend spotting.
It’s not really trend-spotting based on two weeks though. It’s based on plans that people have already made for later in the year. Seems to me like a valid thing to note and monitor.

For what it's worth (probably not much!) the pilgrim office running total for 2024 so far is 8% up on the same period last year.
Now that is trend-spotting based on two weeks, so indeed not worth much.

I plan to begin my first Camino walk the first week of April. I’ve been approaching with the attitude to NOT advance book any reservations for lodging along the way, allowing the Camino “to provide”. To the veterans, is this wise? Should I consider at least booking SJPP at beginning? Thoughts, recommendations please.
While I would have said it was wise 10 or even 5 years ago, I booked most of May Camino last June/July and was surprised at how many places were already booked. If you are flexible enough to be able to walk or taxi to the next lodging or village if your target is full, then you'll probably be ok.

I would definitely book the bottleneck, meaning SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri.
Things open up after that and if you plan on being finished walking by 2 pm, you'll probably find a bed, imo.

I would book up through Pamplona.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
At the pilgrims' office it was 2023:
in April 9604 pilgrims
in May 10890 pilgrims
It's fascinating that those numbers for St. Jean are that high, considering the Pilgrims office in Santiago show that, for 2023, the following numbers of pilgrims indicated St. Jean as their starting point:

April: 1488 pilgrims
May: 5892 pilgrims

This would suggest that 8,116 (84%) and 4,998 (45%) pilgrims, respectively, either a) arrive to Santiago but chose not to get a Compostela, or b) don't make it to Santiago at all (planned or unplanned). Both numbers seem incredibly high (to me). I know many (multi) repeat pilgrims here have said they choose not to get another Compostela, and I know there are pilgrims who plan to/can only do a partial Camino. My question then, for those who don't plan to finish, or those who plan NOT to get the Compostela, why take the time (waiting in lines) to register in St. Jean at all? Especially repeat pilgrims? Just for the stamp?

I know this has been discussed in the past, and without good resolution, but it would be fascinating to be able to track this data better, from start to finish, and with more context. Of course, there is the Hawthorn Effect* to consider, but I digress.

In terms of this conversation, my takeaway is (and one we all know and have expressed) with current numbers leaving St. Jean, regardless of departure date, if you can get past the bottleneck of pilgrims from St. Jean to Pamplona, crowds will spread out the further you travel, especially if you stay the night at less popular towns. At least until Sarria, and then all bets are off. 😉

*The Hawthorne Effect refers to the fact that people will modify their behavior simply because they are being observed.

It's fascinating that those numbers for St. Jean are that high, considering the Pilgrims office in Santiago show that, for 2023, the following numbers of pilgrims indicated St. Jean as their starting point:

Surely, those who left SJPdP in April would mostly arrive in May or June, and those who left in May would arrive in June or July?
There is still a disparity, but there are many factors to explain it, primarily that many people who start at SJPdP don't plan to make it all the way to Santiago in one trip.

Surely, those who left SJPdP in April would mostly arrive in May or June, and those who left in May would arrive in June or July?
There is still a disparity, but there are many factors to explain it, primarily that many people who start at SJPdP don't plan to make it all the way to Santiago in one trip.
What would be the main reason(s) that many people who start at SJPDP don’t plan to go all the way to Santiago in 1 trip?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is still a disparity, but there are many factors to explain it, primarily that many people who start at SJPdP don't plan to make it all the way to Santiago in on
Obviously. My curiosity stems around what those factors are, and the breakdown, purely from a curiosity standpoint. So much of these kinds of datapoints are conjecture. For me, it's sort of like this often-heard/read comment, from so many (especially on the YouTube vlogs): "Most people skip the meseta". I'd like to know if that is, in fact, true. Until there is data supporting it, for me at least, this claim remains Schrödinger's cat. 🤷🏻‍♂️

For those with time and money, how do they prepare mentally and physically? I’m 69 years of age

A response I've posted previously posted re: physically training for the Camino:

From my personal experience, the key to a successful Camino is 1/ training, 2/ starting slow, 3/ preferably, a combination of both! And by training your body you train your mind as well. Because your mind learns that you've got this!

Get up off the couch, put on comfortable shoes and go for a walk. Start slow. How long/ far can you comfortably walk? Most people can walk for an hour, which is typically between 4 - 5km. For some it's less - that's okay, it's not a race.
Walk 3 to 4 days every week minimum, gradually building your mileage - no dramatic increases! After a month try to do at least three days at your current daily target back to back. Repeat, gradually increasing your mileage. And by gradually I mean roughly half an hour.

Walking regularly is far more important than the distance you can cover in a single day.

Shoe/ sock combo's - start trying them now. Buy the shoes at the end of the day, preferably after walking five kilometers or so. Wear your new Socks. Buy a minimum half size larger ( mine are a full size larger). Walk everywhere with them, don't just train with them. Not completely comfortable? Either figure out ways to make them comfortable (different socks, different insoles, changing the way they're laced etc) or consider getting a different pair. Yes it's that important. Learn to prevent and/ or deal with blisters. Preferably prevent!

Get your pack. Most use a 30 to 40 litre pack, some as small as 23l. If you're walking on the shoulder season a smaller pack will probably not work - mine is 32, which works well. Get the staff to help you fit it properly, with around five to seven kilos in it.
Train with it. It doesn't have to be fully loaded, nor do you have to carry it every time you walk - but you do want to get used to it.

Decide whether or not you wish to use poles. They are highly recommended, especially as you get older. If you do decide to use poles learn to use them properly! They are there to carry you, not the other way around.

One point to remember: grab every opportunity. Walk to the supermarket, to the chemist, to your next appointment. Get off the bus or the train one stop early. Climb the stairs. So what if it's only one minute or two minutes of exercise - it's exercise that you might not have done otherwise. It's training.

I've actually made a YouTube video on this if you're interested, let me know and I will send you the link. I would value your feedback, because I'm fairly new to YouTube!

Training mentally? As the saying goes, that's above my pay grade! But I believe that knowing you are physically prepared is a huge step in the right direction. As is giving yourself permission to quit.
It's also important to consider that you might need help - so that if the time comes that you do, you're not afraid to reach out, whether to friends, family or the forum.

Why the forum? Because we get it!
At the end of the day, we're all pilgrims, and we're here to help each other.

Because the line has interesting people from many countries, who are about to become your companions on a long walk/pilgrimage. It is the initial social event of your Camino!
You may be right. I'm an extroverted introvert, so I might engage in a conversation with the person in front of, or behind me, but not many beyond that. After a day or so of familiar faces I open up. But, perhaps you're right that the line is a good social event for most others. 👍🏻

€46,-
A response I've posted previously posted re: physically training for the Camino:

From my personal experience, the key to a successful Camino is 1/ training, 2/ starting slow, 3/ preferably, a combination of both! And by training your body you train your mind as well. Because your mind learns that you've got this!

Get up off the couch, put on comfortable shoes and go for a walk. Start slow. How long/ far can you comfortably walk? Most people can walk for an hour, which is typically between 4 - 5km. For some it's less - that's okay, it's not a race.
Walk 3 to 4 days every week minimum, gradually building your mileage - no dramatic increases! After a month try to do at least three days at your current daily target back to back. Repeat, gradually increasing your mileage. And by gradually I mean roughly half an hour.

Walking regularly is far more important than the distance you can cover in a single day.

Shoe/ sock combo's - start trying them now. Buy the shoes at the end of the day, preferably after walking five kilometers or so. Wear your new Socks. Buy a minimum half size larger ( mine are a full size larger). Walk everywhere with them, don't just train with them. Not completely comfortable? Either figure out ways to make them comfortable (different socks, different insoles, changing the way they're laced etc) or consider getting a different pair. Yes it's that important. Learn to prevent and/ or deal with blisters. Preferably prevent!

Get your pack. Most use a 30 to 40 litre pack, some as small as 23l. If you're walking on the shoulder season a smaller pack will probably not work - mine is 32, which works well. Get the staff to help you fit it properly, with around five to seven kilos in it.
Train with it. It doesn't have to be fully loaded, nor do you have to carry it every time you walk - but you do want to get used to it.

Decide whether or not you wish to use poles. They are highly recommended, especially as you get older. If you do decide to use poles learn to use them properly! They are there to carry you, not the other way around.

One point to remember: grab every opportunity. Walk to the supermarket, to the chemist, to your next appointment. Get off the bus or the train one stop early. Climb the stairs. So what if it's only one minute or two minutes of exercise - it's exercise that you might not have done otherwise. It's training.

I've actually made a YouTube video on this if you're interested, let me know and I will send you the link. I would value your feedback, because I'm fairly new to YouTube!

Training mentally? As the saying goes, that's above my pay grade! But I believe that knowing you are physically prepared is a huge step in the right direction. As is giving yourself permission to quit.
It's also important to consider that you might need help - so that if the time comes that you do, you're not afraid to reach out, whether to friends, family or the forum.

If you live near the coast with a moderate shoreline, walking on the beach and alternating between deep sand and hard packed sand is a great workout, even in short duration. Deep sand really works the thighs and calfs, and builds stamina. I live on the west coast of the U.S., with coastal mountain ranges and was able to add hill hiking of 1-2000 ft elev. gain/loss. That along with beach walks was a great combination for someone in their mid-50's who was mostly sedentary at a desk during the week.

For those with time and money, how do they prepare mentally and physically? I’m 69 years of age.
I was 66 years old, of about average fitness when, in a state of severe depression, I decided to try the Camino as an alternative to suicide. I left the next day. I started in Burgos, timing my trip to arrive in Santiago for Santa Semana. The first few days were hard, but doable. I arrived in Santiago 500km later weighing 8 kilos less and as happy as I have ever been.
Do what you can to get ready but don't obsess over it. The Camino will support you and you will make it.

I was 66 years old, of about average fitness when, in a state of severe depression, I decided to try the Camino as an alternative to suicide.
Thank you for sharing that deeply personal experience and I am very happy you are here to share it. To those who are open to it, the Camino can work miracles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you so much, Peterexpatkiwi! It’s my first Camino. I’ll definitely follow your advice.

Camino Del Norte. Day 1 is April 18 from Irún. I’ll be journaling daily using Day One app where I take photos, videos, audio record memories and transcribe text everyday for future sharing of the entire Camino with family and friends. It’s the first time I’m using the Day One app. I’m using it now to familiarize myself with the features. It’s pretty cool. My daughter likes it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Rafael1214 , what a great Camino! I have yet to walk it, everybody says the first week is the toughest.
If you have time do consider the multiple coastal variants that are available. Helps get you off the road - as you are undoubtedly aware there's a fair amount of road walking on the Norte.

Send me a link to your YT vids…I’ll take a look and give you feedback.

€46,-
For me, it's sort of like this often-heard/read comment, from so many (especially on the YouTube vlogs): "Most people skip the meseta". I'd like to know if that is, in fact, true. Until there is data supporting it, for me at least, this claim remains Schrödinger's cat
Based on my experiences it's not true that most people skip the Meseta, but it's been reported that numbers on the Meseta are lower than the rest of the Francés.

€83,-
You may be right. I'm an extroverted introvert, so I might engage in a conversation with the person in front of, or behind me, but not many beyond that. After a day or so of familiar faces I open up. But, perhaps you're right that the line is a good social event for most others. 👍🏻
In your case, going by what you've written, even if you don't engage in conversation this might be the start of having the faces of your fellow pilgrims become more familiar, as you share the line with them and hear their conversations, giving you a bit of a head start on eventually opening up. :)

I was 66 years old, of about average fitness when, in a state of severe depression, I decided to try the Camino as an alternative to suicide. I left the next day. I started in Burgos, timing my trip to arrive in Santiago for Santa Semana. The first few days were hard, but doable. I arrived in Santiago 500km later weighing 8 kilos less and as happy as I have ever been.
Do what you can to get ready but don't obsess over it. The Camino will support you and you will make it.
I’m so happy you chose the Camino rather than suicide!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In your case, going by what you've written, even if you don't engage in conversation this might be the start of having the faces of your fellow pilgrims become more familiar, as you share the line with them and hear their conversations, giving you a bit of a head start on eventually opening up. :)

I think it is one of those things one "must do" as a first-time pilgrim - if starting in St. Jean. But, for me, not worth standing and waiting in a huge line for on subsequent Camino's. OTOH, I've learned that once you are there on the Camino, being flexible with "plans" is a key factor in getting the most enjoyment and fulfillment out of your Camino, so I won't say I won't ever do it again. 😄

I think it is one of those things one "must do" as a first-time pilgrim - if starting in St. Jean. But, for me, not worth standing and waiting in a huge line for on subsequent Camino's
I've only ever had 3 or 4 people ahead of me in line at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean, including in the very busy month of May.

I think it is one of those things one "must do" as a first-time pilgrim - if starting in St. Jean. But, for me, not worth standing and waiting in a huge line for on subsequent Camino's.
I set off from SJPDP twice last year - in January and in August. I registered at the office the first time but not the second (despite staying in Beilari where I could almost stretch out my arm and reach across the street to the office!). My friend had been given two credencials by the Confraternity of St James and we used those in August. Didn't see any point in going just to be part of their records.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've only ever had 3 or 4 people ahead of me in line at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean, including in the very busy month of May.
OTOH, @Monasp said May '23 saw over 10k pilgrims register at the office, or over 300 per day - if it were spread out evenly, which we know it isn't. If I were unlucky enough to start on a day when it was 400, I would skip the office. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OTOH, @Monasp said May '23 saw over 10k pilgrims register at the office, or over 300 per day - if it were spread out evenly, which we know it isn't. If I were unlucky enough to start on a day when it was 400, I would skip the office. 🤷🏻‍♂️
There were some very busy days last year. Two photos from the pilgrim office Facebook account.
Screenshot_20240118_190135.jpg
Screenshot_20240118_190045.jpg

A busy April! What a terrifying post title for me!
I had been loosely planning to attempt the Frances this year about March 15 to make sure I avoid any hint of a bed race, but now because of a family commitment it looks like it'll probably be April 10 or 11.

In 2022 I did the Camino Frances from Pamplona between April 17th through May 15th, and it didn't seem busy until the very end. But maybe that was still COVID times with fewer travelers?

And so many people on this forum advise just to stay "off-stage" to ensure you can get bookings. Like you all have a list of towns in your head, that are the "stages!" I assume you mean the Brierly stages?

I guess I should probably start booking from SJPP to Pamplona, but I'm not comfortable doing that until I am absolutely sure what days I'll be there. Some of them may give me the option to cancel, but it also may take away a booking slot from someone certain.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A busy April! What a terrifying post title for me!
I had been loosely planning to attempt the Frances this year about March 15 to make sure I avoid any hint of a bed race, but now because of a family commitment it looks like it'll probably be April 10 or 11.

In 2022 I did the Camino Frances from Pamplona between April 17th through May 15th, and it didn't seem busy until the very end. But maybe that was still COVID times with fewer travelers?

And so many people on this forum advise just to stay "off-stage" to ensure you can get bookings. Like you all have a list of towns in your head, that are the "stages!" I assume you mean the Brierly stages?

I guess I should probably start booking from SJPP to Pamplona, but I'm not comfortable doing that until I am absolutely sure what days I'll be there. Some of them may give me the option to cancel, but it also may take away a booking slot from someone certain.
You have given me a horrible realisation - perhaps the Brierley and Gronze stages are not the same? I have used the latter for my planning, and will carry the former. They are the same up to Pamplona at least, I had best have a quick comparison of the rest and make some notes in the Brierley guide...

On bookings, I recently read a Gronze review that introduced a phenomenon new to me - multiple bookings for the same day. "Anxious" pilgrims were the accused culprits, apparently to be able to stop whenever they'd had enough walking. 🤯🤯🤯 This type of behaviour would never have occurred to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It really doesn't matter. The route is the same and you pass through the same places. You just need to turn the page at different points! :)
If accommodation is tight, we might mostly avoid staying in "stage end" locations is all. Hard to say though, some days we may feel like a bit of rabble rousing (dinner and a bottle of wine) in a busy town, others we may feel like a quiet night (dinner and a bottle of wine) somewhere, well, quieter. 😁

But first we need to know where the "official" stages end!

I only found minor differences between Gronze and Brierley:
- Gronze stage 23 ends at Foncebadón (Brierley Rabanal del Camino)
- Gronze stage 24 ends at Ponferrada (Brierley Molinaseca)
- Gronze stage 31 ends at Arzúa (Brierley Ribadiso de Baixo)

Cheers

If accommodation is tight, we might mostly avoid staying in "stage end" locations is all. Hard to say though, some days we may feel like a bit of rabble rousing (dinner and a bottle of wine) in a busy town, others we may feel like a quiet night (dinner and a bottle of wine) somewhere, well, quieter. 😁

But first we need to know where the "official" stages end!

I only found minor differences between Gronze and Brierley:
- Gronze stage 23 ends at Foncebadón (Brierley Rabanal del Camino)
- Gronze stage 24 ends at Ponferrada (Brierley Molinaseca)
- Gronze stage 31 ends at Arzúa (Brierley Ribadiso de Baixo)

Cheers
It hadn't even occurred to me that people are making multiple bookings for one night. That is truly evil!

I appreciate knowing that the Gronze and Brierly stages are similar. And that you pointed out the differences.

I guess to avoid accommodation problems you just want to stay as far away as you can from May and September. If I go, if I leave on my current plan date of April 10, I would spend the last two weeks of the Camino Frances in May, which I suspect would be crowded.

Originally I wanted to start about March 15 to avoid the bed race, but now I'm supposed to meet some family the first week of April all the way down in Tarifa in SW Spain. I could still start about March 15, but then I would have to break up my Camino, as well as take a train ride across Spain and back. And I know if I break up the Camino whatever Camino family I've developed up till that point would be lost. I can't decide yet!

Last edited:
I would book up through Pamplona.
I thought that most public albergues don't accept reservations? I'm leaving end of March, and booked SJPP and Pamplona on Good Friday, but was planning to otherwise walk until 2:00 pm and find an albergue. Bad idea?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought that most public albergues don't accept reservations? I'm leaving end of March, and booked SJPP and Pamplona on Good Friday, but was planning to otherwise walk until 2:00 pm and find an albergue. Bad idea?
That may work, but you will be walking during a busy time, and there are just a few non-reservable albergues between SJPdP and Pamplona. You may need to stop earlier than 2 pm.

Don’t tell me you read it in Old English!

Actually, it's Middle English (he said, pedantically)! One of the requirements for my undergraduate degree was to memorize and recite the entirety of the prologue of the Canterbury Tales in the original. I can still remember it to this day, many decades later, which is a fun party trick that I'd be happy to perform for any fellow pilgrims who encounter me on a Camino. (Or not!) 😅

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don’t tell me you read it in Old English!
Nobody reads it in Old English. That's reserved for poems like Beowulf, The Dream of the Rood, etc. My personal favourite is The Wanderer.

Some of us do like to read The Canterbury Tales in Middle English, though.

Middle English is close enough to Modern English that you don't really need special training for it. Once you are a few pages in, most get the hang of it. Old English is another matter entirely.

This would suggest that 8,116 (84%) and 4,998 (45%) pilgrims, respectively, either a) arrive to Santiago but chose not to get a Compostela, or b) don't make it to Santiago at all (planned or unplanned). Both numbers seem incredibly high (to me). I know many (multi) repeat pilgrims here have said they choose not to get another Compostela, and I know there are pilgrims who plan to/can only do a partial Camino. My question then, for those who don't plan to finish, or those who plan NOT to get the Compostela, why take the time (waiting in lines) to register in St. Jean at all? Especially repeat pilgrims? Just for the stamp?

I know this has been discussed in the past, and without good resolution, but it would be fascinating to be able to track this data better, from start to finish, and with more context. Of course, there is the Hawthorn Effect* to consider, but I digress.

In terms of this conversation, my takeaway is (and one we all know and have expressed) with current numbers leaving St. Jean, regardless of departure date, if you can get past the bottleneck of pilgrims from St. Jean to Pamplona, crowds will spread out the further you travel, especially if you stay the night at less popular towns. At least until Sarria, and then all bets are off. 😉

*The Hawthorne Effect refers to the fact that people will modify their behavior simply because they are being observed.
I went all the way through and when I went to get my compostela, the lady acted surprised when I told her I started in SJPP.

I went all the way through and when I went to get my compostela, the lady acted surprised when I told her I started in SJPP.
According to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, just 31,000, or 7.5% of the 425,000 pilgrims who arrived to the office in 2023 indicated St. Jean as their starting point. Even for just the Camino Frances, it's just 15% of that total, so her reaction is understandable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Based on my experiences it's not true that most people skip the Meseta, but it's been reported that numbers on the Meseta are lower than the rest of the Francés.
It would be sad to think most people skip the Meseta. I found it a time for introspection and there was a quiet beauty to it.

It would be sad to think most people skip the Meseta. I found it a time for introspection and there was a quiet beauty to it.
I don't think most people do. I think it's one of those anecdotal comments that has grown a life of its own in modern Camino lore. The disconnect between the pilgrims office data from St. Jean and Santiago suggests a sizeable portion of those that start in St. Jean simply leave the Camino altogether, at some point prior to Santiago, perhaps most of these prior to the Meseta. With their absence, we might (incorrectly) assume they skipped the section rather than consider they simply went back home. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And, I agree with you, it would be sad. I found the Meseta to be an integral piece of my Camino Frances experience, and I couldn't imagine missing the time I spent walking through it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back