• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino etiquette - passing others on less-busy caminos

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Help me out with some basic etiquette. I walked the CF last spring, but I’m still learning the ropes. I’ll be walking the VDLP in April, and I know I will see far fewer pilgrims when I’m walking. I’m wondering what others do in this situation: you slowly catch up with another pilgrim while walking. Let’s assume a solo pilgrim and you’re also alone. It’s not someone you’ve met previously. Do you walk past them, saying Buen Camino and continue walking past them, or do you slow your pace and walk along side them? It seems almost intrusive to suddenly be walking with them, essentially uninvited. But on the other hand perhaps some would perceive it to be rude if I was to pass them without slowing to walk with them for a bit.

Again, I’m thinking about the VDLP specifically here, as I think the lack of pilgrims might create a different vibe than what there is on the CF.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd also just say "Buen Camino!" and continue on at my own pace. If the other person wants to start a longer conversation they will probably make that clear. I think that just falling in alongside and walking uninvited with someone who is walking solo would be intrusive and insensitive.

No idea if it's rude or not, or only in some culture and not in the other, but I'd likely be a bit more chatty. I might just go with a "hey, how's it going?" or even with a "want to walk together for a while?". Guess that depends on "smart" I'd be at that given moment and what kind of vibe i get from that person. While i understand that not everyone is wanting to have company i guess that if this would be the case they could just as well make that understood. Something like a "i want to walk alone for now but i'll see you later" is not that difficult. But i guess it is a fluid thing with lots of grey area and there will never be a rule by which you be 100% correct.

I say hello/Buen Camino to most people.

One of my rules on the Camino is to walk my my own tempo, I never compromise with that, no matter how nice or interessting people are. We can chat in the evenings.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something like a "i want to walk alone for now but i'll see you later" is not that difficult.
As you say it may be a cultural difference or just one of personality. Some people - myself included - may feel some reluctance to give an outright refusal to the suggestion of walking together even if we really would prefer to walk solo. A fear of appearing impolite or giving offence. What may seem to you to be a perfectly friendly and genuinely neutral suggestion may instead be heard as a challenge - "I will cling to you like a leech unless you summon up the nerve to tell me to bugger off." I have occasionally added 10km or more to my walking day to leave a particularly chatty or irritating person behind without going through the business of telling them to their face that their company is unwelcome.

Like Bradypus, I can feel uncomfortable telling someone I'd really prefer to walk alone, but there is a point I reach if I feel my peace has been invaded...

I usually just say "Buen Camino" and walk past unless they start up a conversation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my first Camino in 2015, I met a gal at a communal dinner in Pamplona. I happened to see her a few days later on the trail and we had a chat. I could tell she walked faster than me uphill, so after about fifteen minutes of me keeping up with her I told her to go on ahead as I am a slower walker. Later that day she was sitting outside a bar having a coffee and I'd stopped to use the bathroom. She invited me to sit at her table and she happened to take a picture of me. She then asked for my email address so she could send it to me, which started what has become an eight year ongoing friendship. We have been to each other's homes, we've organized many yearly Camino mini-reunions, and I have walked the Via Podiensis with her. I considered meeting her a serendipitous moment.

Before I even pass another pilgrim I try to be working on basic etiquette. I don't generally make a lot of noise and am now (mostly) aware of that. I have scared the bejesus out of many an unsuspecting fellow walker/hiker/pilgrim while passing them. So I cough a bit or I hum or whistle a silly tune to alert someone I'm on my way. Things go way smoother now.

I disagree a bit about the lesser walked Caminos. I would expect to walk together and chat for a few minutes, at least, to gauge the situation and be courteous, unless the other person was clearly unreceptive. To stride by with a Buen Camino, when you haven't seen another pilgrim all day, seems abrupt. But you don't need to overthink this. There is no proper etiquette.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To me it is not a big problem. I think if you pass someone or are passed by it will soon be clear, if the other person wants to be involved in a conversation.

I disagree a bit about the lesser walked Caminos. I would expect to walk together and chat for a few minutes, at least, to gauge the situation and be courteous, unless the other person was clearly unreceptive.
In practice that has usually been what happened when I have walked the quieter routes. There is quite a big difference between a brief friendly exchange in passing and deliberately falling in step with someone for a longer walk though. I think I am particularly wary of intruding into someone else's journey because I value my own solitude and privacy so highly. On a route like the Via de la Plata in January I met about 20 pilgrims over nearly 1000km. Often going several days without seeing another pilgrim. In that situation I tend to assume that someone walking the same route and time has a similar outlook to myself. If they wanted company they would probably be somewhere else entirely! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On less travelled routes I would slow down for a minute or two (unless it was clear that the person didn't want to chat), I would have a little chat, but wouldn't expect more than how are you, where are you from ie language, where did you start chitchat. Given on the Via Bayona I met one pilgrim, 2 minutes chat with him made my day (and never saw him again)! And 3 weeks in France on the Voie des Capitales and Voie Littoral- I was delighted for 2 minutes when a pilgrim on bike actually stopped to chat- before he zoomed off!
I certainly wouldn't think I was going to walk with someone, but I have learnt that it's hard to walk at someone else's pace for any length of time (I got bad shin splints trying it in winter on the CF)

A wave and a buen camino is enough for me. If the other pilgrim wants to chat it will become self evident and you will either slow down to chat or speed up to get away.

there is no right or wrong way. Now when you get home, you have to resist the urge to wave at every stranger you see :)

Help me out with some basic etiquette. I walked the CF last spring, but I’m still learning the ropes. I’ll be walking the VDLP in April, and I know I will see far fewer pilgrims when I’m walking. I’m wondering what others do in this situation: you slowly catch up with another pilgrim while walking. Let’s assume a solo pilgrim and you’re also alone. It’s not someone you’ve met previously. Do you walk past them, saying Buen Camino and continue walking past them, or do you slow your pace and walk along side them? It seems almost intrusive to suddenly be walking with them, essentially uninvited. But on the other hand perhaps some would perceive it to be rude if I was to pass them without slowing to walk with them for a bit.

Again, I’m thinking about the VDLP specifically here, as I think the lack of pilgrims might create a different vibe than what there is on the CF.
I've always gone down the route if I'm overtaking them first do they look as if they want to talk! I believe from there demeanor you can tell and just ask how they are! Are you OK it normally gets a reaction. If not walk on by and look for your next victim lol.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The easiest encounters are when you are walking and come across someone who is sitting taking a break. Easy to stop for a minute, say hi, and then just feel things out.

I think the interactions change dramatically on untraveled caminos. I agree with @C clearly that if you are on a camino where you haven’t seen another peregrin@ for many hours, it does seem a bit rude to just walk on by with a Buen Camino. I‘m out there in the middle of nowhere by myself a lot on the camino, and I don’t think there’s ever been an encounter that was just a pass-by. Cyclists typically get off their bikes and say hi (I met a friend of Ender’s that way on the Torres!). In my experience, the person walking faster makes a bit of noise coming up from behind before starting an interaction, so as not to scare the other perhaps! Then the slower person turns around, stops and says hi. Sometimes I wind up walking with the person, other times not, it just depends. But there’s always some sort of personal interaction.

There are a lot of people writing above "you can always tell if a person wants to/doesn't want to chat". Maybe that is true for you. I wouldn't assume it is so for everyone. Not everyone is equally capable of reading subtle expressions or social cues.

For sure, some of us have learned that a series of short, closed answers to open-ended questions likely indicates that someone wants the conversation to end and you to be on your way (I say "likely" because it can also signify linguistic difficulties). But to read from someone's expression in response to a "Buen Camino!" whether someone wants the interaction to continue or not is, I must admit, likely beyond me.

All this to say that someone with these difficulties is likely to be appreciative, rather than offended, if you explicitly make your desire for solitude known, rather than hoping they will pick up on the vibe.

My experience is variable, as likely with many of you. I prefer to walk alone and when people have come up beside me and started to chat with me, uninvited, there are times when I have had to say more than the subtle message - please go ahead, I prefer to walk alone. It has annoyed me but it is also a good reminder that I need to be the person to set my own boundaries, and not get annoyed at others. I need to be the one who is polite but clear, noone else's responsibility. I have been fortunate that my husband has come with me on a couple of journeys, and have been grateful that people have then left us alone, as we can be alone - together....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No idea if it's rude or not, or only in some culture and not in the other, but I'd likely be a bit more chatty. I might just go with a "hey, how's it going?" or even with a "want to walk together for a while?". Guess that depends on "smart" I'd be at that given moment and what kind of vibe i get from that person. While i understand that not everyone is wanting to have company i guess that if this would be the case they could just as well make that understood. Something like a "i want to walk alone for now but i'll see you later" is not that difficult. But i guess it is a fluid thing with lots of grey area and there will never be a rule by which you be 100% correct.
I love your reply. I would do the same. Just be organic, authentic and then "read the room". I hope I meet you on the trail Anhalter because I'd welcome a "want to walk together for a while?"

I think it's rather rude, not to say hello or Buen Camino when you meet other walker. I normally say Buen Camino...meaning 'I'm a pilgrim, not a tourist.' and see how the others respond, as many of you said. I don't greet in order to start a conversation either. I wouldn't dare ask: would you like to walk together?' either though. It should be a natural development. If I am asked such a question, I'd feel I'd have to commit. Our pace maybe different, or I may want to stop to look at things. I met lots of people on the way, walked together a while, and when our pace become different, or I want to stop and have a look at the view, we separated. I liked that freedom.

Cyclists typically get off their bikes and say hi (I met a friend of Ender’s that way on the Torres!).
This reminds me of an encounter on the Mozárabe between Granada and Mérida. I was about 2 or 3 days out from Mérida and a cyclist scared the life out of me by stopping abruptly yelling, "hola peregrina!" snapped a foto of the two of us and sped off! He was the first and only pilgrim I encountered during the entire Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like to walk alone, I walk with my rosary in my hand, most people respect that and after a greeting move on. I did the whole Meseta without speaking to a sole (except evenings) it was magical.

Waka

I would recommend "Buen Camino" if you aren't that interested in talking to them at that particular time. If they are interested in talking to you at that time, they may make a remark, such as "how do you like your hiking shoes".
In turn, if you want to have a conversation, you could say something such "Buen Camino, it is such a beautiful day, etc" to see if that sparks a conversation. If not, you can just keep walking.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely fine with someone passing me by, hopefully with a cheery "buen camino". No-one would want to walk my slow pace anyway hahaha. I got passed frequently on the VDLP, some folks would pass a few pleasantries others would just stride ahead I was happy with whatever :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I say Buen Camino to everyone regardless if I am passing them or they are passing me. Some have offered up more words and I have adjusted my pace or they have adjusted theirs and we have walked and talked to the next town.

I am not offended by anyone breezing by and I don't think anyone is offended by me passing them.

I walk fast (average about 5.5KM/hour) so as I overtake people, I generally starting whistling "When the Saints Go Marching In" (just as a notice that someone is approaching from the rear) and then give them a cheerful Buen Camino and keep on truckin' as I move past them.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a solo walker, I would be unnerved (at best) by someone who appeared at my side and then matched my pace as would most other females and more than a few males.

In understand and agree that the Camino is different than real life, but a stranger matching my pace would be an enormous red flag literally anywhere else in my life and that visceral reaction is not something that can simply be switched off.

Buen Camino, but keep walking, please.

On ANY trail, it can be tough to not scare people as you approach from behind. I usually try to see their ears first to see if they're wearing ear phones. If they're listening to music, it takes A LOT more noise to warn them that you're there. My nephew wears ear phones when he hikes and I have to YELL to get his attention. For myself, I listen to Audible when I hike, but now I wear the Shokz headphones that use bone conduction, so I can still hear ambient noise (like a car approaching from behind).
If someone is not wearing headphones, I will just lightly clack my poles when I'm about 50 feet away. Usually even coughing or saying something softly will scare people. But pole clacking seems to be non-threatening and less startling.
Also, I think men have to be especially sensitive when you approach a single female. It's just a different etiquette. If a woman wants to ask me a question, she'll say something. If we do talk, I don't ask questions like, "Where are you staying tonight?" "Are you walking alone?"
Otherwise, when I pass I just smile and do the "Queen's Wave".

Last edited:
So, being chatty myself, always craving conversation/camaraderie, I have this test.

After the basic "buen camino" and eye contact, maybe like 5 minutes of light conversation... I stop and re-tie my shoelaces. If the person notices and stops too, well then we talk for hours. If they just keep going, that's cool too. And then I pass them with another "buen camino."

I walked the VdlP this past spring and the previous advice is spot on. A Buen Camino followed by a few minutes walking together lets you know if they want a walking companion. This cab=n change when you invariably meet up at the next albergue.

As the slower walker, I handle it this way when I don't want company:

I hear you coming.

I step to the side of the trail, stop, look at you, look away, and wish you Buen Camino as you go by.

If you mistake that for an invitation to stop and chat, you'll get about three sentences before I either sit down or turn away from you and take a drink as I wave/ wish you Buen Camino/ goodbye.

If I'm passing you while you're stopped, I may ask if you're OK "Tu eres bien? Soy enfermera". If you're fine, again, Buen Camino, and I move on.

That tends to handle about 99% of cultural considerations. 😉

As the slower walker, I handle it this way when I don't want company:

I hear you coming.

I step to the side of the trail, stop, look at you, look away, and wish you Buen Camino as you go by.

If you mistake that for an invitation to stop and chat, you'll get about three sentences before I either sit down or turn away from you and take a drink as I wave/ wish you Buen Camino/ goodbye.

If I'm passing you while you're stopped, I may ask if you're OK "Tu eres bien? Soy enfermera". If you're fine, again, Buen Camino, and I move on.

That tends to handle about 99% of cultural considerations. 😉
Yah. Sometimes they just say, "you go ahead." That's cool too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found it difficult walking with other pilgrims on the CF last October. I was a solo pilgrim. I learnt early on that it was important to set boundaries to stop other lovely pilgrims expecting me to walk with them, stay at the same town an have dinner with them. I enjoyed their company but had to walk my own camino with different deadlines than them and different walking pace.
I am a slow walker that doesn't stop for lunch just snacks. I would have to start early to avoid the intense sun.

If I'm passing you while you're stopped, I may ask if you're OK "Tu eres bien? Soy enfermera"
You would want to use ¿(Tú) Estás bien?, not ¿Eres bien? since estás (estar) is for temporary states of being, like illness, injury, tiredness, etc. and Eres (ser) is for permanent traits like height, intelligence, etc.
Example: Eres aburrido means you are a boring person. Estás aburrido means that you are (currently) bored. Big difference!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One of my favorite lines, when approaching a pilgrim first time met is "De donde eres?" I love it when they say (in an Australian, New Zealand, or American accent) "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish"... to which I reply (in my Southern California Accent) "oh thank goodness. neither do I." Instant icebreaker.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sick is "soy enferma."
You know this 😉 but it should be "estoy enferma" unless maybe you have a chronic condition.

There is quite a big difference between a brief friendly exchange in passing and deliberately falling in step with someone for a longer walk though.
Absolutely! After a few minutes of chatting, in most cases, one or the other of us would say either "I think I'll walk ahead, hasta luego" or "I walk slowly, so please go ahead." Either way, we would take the hint.

That would be a loud and clear message 😳 and it would keep me away from future attempts!😆🤣

I guess there are "less busy" Caminos (where you might see another person every 30 minutes) and there are LESS BUSY ones (where you might see another person only every few days, if you are lucky) and the appropriate reaction would be quite different! The VDLP in the spring would be somewhere in the middle - one can walk alone for the whole day, or not, but one will be aware of other people keeping to similar stages

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

As a slow walker, where most people pass me, I normally say Buen Camino, then follow up with something in english.
Something like, (lovely/hot/wet day today). Indicates my language and willingness to talk.
Gives the option for them to respond and keep walking or join me for a while.

On ANY trail, it can be tough to not scare people as you approach from behind. I usually try to see their ears first to see if they're wearing ear phones. If they're listening to music, it takes A LOT more noise to warn them that you're there.
If you can see my ear buds, you are walking towards me not approaching from behind, and it will be tough to see them even then (a complaint my wife expresses often). I likely won't be listening to music, though, but Spanish.

I say that if you and the other walker are both walking up hill and both gasping for breath, stop and nod at each other, then strike up a conversation about the view so you can both have a breather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before I even pass another pilgrim I try to be working on basic etiquette. I don't generally make a lot of noise and am now (mostly) aware of that. I have scared the bejesus out of many an unsuspecting fellow walker/hiker/pilgrim while passing them. So I cough a bit or I hum or whistle a silly tune to alert someone I'm on my way. Things go way smoother now.
And that works? Maybe a hundred times, I’ve rang the bike bell, hollered bicycle in two or three languages, with no sign of response, slowed down to their speed to creep past, only to have them jump as if I had collided with them.

I like to walk in the early Spring when it’s somewhat uncrowded, especially in poor weather or outside the very minor surge of that time. Approaching from behind, I usually try to make enough noise to be known, but also to make some pleasant comment as I pass…about the weather, scenery, etc. If the pilgrim I’m passing wants to talk, they’ll speak up, and maybe half the time they do.

I acknowledge them with a greeting. If they want to talk they most likely will say something back. If they are struggling, I might ask if they are ok and assist if asked.

Otherwise, I keep on walking and will likely see them that evening because there are fewer accommodations along the VdlP.

Also, I would not be offended if you do not get a response. Many people are listening to music, a book or just caught up in their own thoughts.

And that works? Maybe a hundred times, I’ve rang the bike bell, hollered bicycle in two or three languages, with no sign of response, slowed down to their speed to creep past, only to have them jump as if I had collided with them.

Pretty much, yes. I do check for headphones or visible earbuds, in which case I don't bother. And for the last 100 meters or so I'll walk on the opposite side of the road to the one in front of me (hoping for a bit of peripheral vision on their end). It usually works, but then I'm walking too: more time to get noticed as opposed to a bike, even when you slow down for the final overtake.

Many people these days use ear buds to listen to Books on Tape or music. One time I was coming up on a guy on the Appalachian Trail. He had ear buds in and was listening to Rock music. The music was so loud I could hear what song was playing (from his ear buds). By the time I got close to him I was yelling...he didn't respond. When I passed him, he was so STARTLED I thought his eyes were about to POP OUT OF HIS HEAD! I've never seen someone who was that startled in my life. Like he'd just seen a ghost. Sometimes there's just no way to pass someone without scaring them.

I had all sides of the coin on CF last year. I was walking by myself when a casual albergue bar acquaintance reached me (I walked slow) and politely asked if he could walk with me for a while. I said yes. After about an hour we walked past a cafe, and he politely asked if I wanted to grab a coffee. I was completely in the walking zone and while I didn't mind the talking I wasn't interested in the sitting, I could feel the road disappearing under my feet. I simply said no, I'd like to get a few more km under the belt before my next break, so we parted ways without fuss (and I never actually saw him again!).

At the end of the day people are just people - if you set firm boundaries with either a yes or a no, maybe someone will be upset, but you'll have a much nicer time!

€83,-
As with all walking...if I was walking so fast that I caught up to someone, there would have to be some reason to break my rhythm and slow up. If people have a question they want to ask me, of course I'll take a second to talk. If someone is already walking my speed...then I obviously won't catch up to them unless they take a long break.
Even in the past, if I'm hiking with someone going my own speed, we usually don't walk together. We just agree to meet at the end of the day, or at a certain location, or text each other our location.
Usually, Hiking is like life, you see someone, say hi...and then never see them again.

My husband and I have done two remote Caminos, one from Lisbon to Porto (and beyond) and another in France from Carcassonne to SJPDP. My experience on the remote Camino is that I get excited when I see another Pilgrim and I always would like to say something, have some sort of short conversation with them. That doesn’t mean I want to walk with them, but I want to do more than just pass by without acknowledgment that we are fellow pilgrims on the road. Of course you have to take your cue from the other person as well.
In fact, on these two Caminos we rarely saw or passed another Pilgrim on the path, we would more often see them at a bar or at an evening stop.
But the point is, it’s a very different environment than on a popular Camino with lots of other pilgrims, as you acknowledge in your question. It’s one reason I prefer prefer a remote Camino to be honest. It means more when you run into another Pilgrim very occasionally then when you are surrounded by them all the time. Also, you are able to make deeper connections with the local population on a remote Camino.

I sometimes think we can overthink this going for a walk with a backpack on thing. . . 🤔

Ear buds are the sign that the person doesn't want to talk to anybody🤐. I will leave them alone on Camino or local footpaths.
As for me, I'd rather listen to the birds, wind and sounds of bubbling stream🐦.

Ear buds are the sign that the person doesn't want to talk to anybody🤐. I will leave them alone on Camino or local footpaths.
As for me, I'd rather listen to the birds, wind and sounds of bubbling stream🐦.
The idea was how not to startle someone as you approach from behind and pass them.
But yes, if they don't take their ear buds out once they see you...it will be a short encounter.

€46,-
The idea was how not to startle someone as you approach from behind and pass them.
But yes, if they don't take their ear buds out once they see you...it will be a short encounter.
I think if you look back to the original post, you'll find it is less about not startling someone and more about whether they are open to engagement in a chat, short or long.

I sometimes think we can overthink this going for a walk with a backpack on thing. . . 🤔
I often think the same. But as someone above has pointed out, when you can't be out walking it's nice to be able to discuss it, and plan the next one. Frankly if overthinking this thing didn't exist this web forum would be a hollow shell of itself...

€83,-
I think if you look back to the original post, you'll find it is less about not startling someone and more about whether they are open to engagement in a chat, short or long.
Quite right. I was merely soliciting thoughts from others about how they behave when they encounter a fellow pilgrim on a very quiet camino.

Camino etiquette in general is quite interesting, in that it's a bit of a mish-mash of social etiquette from many different countries and cultures, mixed up with some hiking etiquette, and a bit of unique camino-specific etiquette thrown in for good measure. Not wishing to overthink it, just curious how others approach interactions. And I was actually a bit surprised to see there were some strong opinions against just falling in step with someone and assuming they want to walk together. Glad those thoughts were shared, as I find we can sometimes be lulled into an unrealistic kumbaya type of feeling on the camino, and assume everyone else is feeling the same way.

I often think the same. But as someone above has pointed out, when you can't be out walking it's nice to be able to discuss it, and plan the next one. Frankly if overthinking this thing didn't exist this web forum would be a hollow shell of itself...
🤣

Lots of good advice here. My approach tends to be similar.

Though I am usually the one being overtaken!

Walk on the opposite side, to be 'noticed' easier.
Maybe make a bit of noise.
As I draw level I'll say Hi, Buen Camino etc.
Maybe ask where they are headed today, where they are from.
And that's it................ just enough to be polite
See ya later.

I generally like to walk alone and certainly don't want to 'impose' myself on others that might also want to be alone.

If they strike up a conversation, it's their call. I'll leave that to them and gauge the response.

Let's face it, sometimes we 'click' with others and I might end up walking with them for the rest of the day. Some we don't. In which case I'll stop for a break, a photo, whatever and let them go ahead.

Being a male, if the other Pilgrim is female, I'm much more cautious.

I'll be extra careful in making it obvious that I'm coming, to give fair warning.
And I'll be much more careful not to be seen to be imposing myself.

A fairly high % of the Pilgrims on the VdlP were female. Maybe 40%.

I think there is another element to this though, on a Camino like the VdlP particularly.
And that is looking out for each other.
Having each others back.
We might only see 1 or 2 people a day.
And so I would, like we all do I'm sure, be subtly checking that they were OK before pushing on or stopping to let them go on ahead.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Just read the signals.................let the other Pilgrim decide.
Though a handful are clearly not that good at reading the signals. ;) ;)

That may be another cultural difference. Whether you should use two fingers or just the one when you signal....

LOL. Indeed, or the Italian Salute a.k.a. "bras d'honneur" I always found exquisitely expressive. :)

€83,-
Though a handful are clearly not that good at reading the signals.
That may be another cultural difference. Whether you should use two fingers or just the one when you signal....
Or they may be on the autistic spectrum and not good at reading the signals. There are lots of good people in that situation. In which case, giving them one or two fingers won't be helpful. Either they won't understand it. Or they will and will be hurt by the unjustified insult.

You could also just be explicitly and politely clear as to your preferences.

Just sayin'.

Or they may be on the autistic spectrum and not good at reading the signals. There are lots of good people in that situation. In which case, giving them one or two fingers won't be helpful. Either they won't understand it. Or they will and will be hurt by the unjustified insult.
Of course I was being facetious. Even in the face of an unwelcome personal encounter I would not offer a deliberate personal insult. I would instead try to find a non-confrontational way to make it clear that I wished to be alone.

You could also just be explicitly and politely clear as to your preferences.

Just sayin'.

I think a liberal and careful use of emojis should help to show when members are making a bit of a joke ;)

We are all I'm sure able to recognise to a degree, those we meet who may have challenges in social settings or communication and adapt our interaction accordingly. It's called being human and respectful.
BTW, I have an adult autistic son, so am particularly aware of this!

€46,-

Say hello, see if they speak your language. If not just move on after a departing smile, otherwise you'll soon work out each other's walking pace and privacy requirements. Some very long and lonely stretches on VDLP so company would generally be accepted !

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.