• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A nice 10k stretch not too far from Santiago?

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Staying in Spain for a while, my parents are paying me a visit in October. We will meet in Santiago and stay there together a couple of days. Having a Camino addict as a daughter, my 73-year-old mom has become very interested in the Camino as well. I would love to take them for a small walk on the Camino so she could see and experience it a bit for herself. She would be capable to walk a maximum of 10k.

Could anyone recommend a small section not too far away from Santiago that is covered by public transport? My plan is to take them on a bus to village A, walk to village B and then take a bus from B back to Santiago. Of course I can try to search for myself at Gronze and Eroski, but maybe one of you knows a nice stretch. I am not that familiar with the Sarria - Santiago part of the Camino. Walked it only once and was at that time paying more attention to my fellow pilgrims than to the road or the scenery...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Honestly the best stretch of 10km around Santiago are the 10km leaving town towards Finisterre, which could be done in reverse. Public transport can get you to Roxos on the #8 line and you could walk to Quintans from there, it is less than 1km. The walk back to Santiago is under 10km. Funny looking yellow arrows point the way back to Santiago.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola - I've found it quite difficult to walk against the yellow arrows. There are a number of options including taking the bus out to Monte de Gozo ( i think bus number 6) and walking in with the joyful pilgrims.
Also for folks like your parents I devised the "Route of Routes" which is a figure of 8 walking route in and around Santiago which passes each of the five main routes as they enter the city.
If you'd like a copy of the guide just email me.

Staying in Spain for a while, my parents are paying me a visit in October. We will meet in Santiago and stay there together a couple of days. Having a Camino addict as a daughter, my 73-year-old mom has become very interested in the Camino as well. I would love to take them for a small walk on the Camino so she could see and experience it a bit for herself. She would be capable to walk a maximum of 10k.

Could anyone recommend a small section not to far away from Santiago that is covered by public transport? My plan is to take them on a bus to village A, walk to village B and then take a bus from B back to Santiago. Of course I can try to search for myself at Gronze and Eroski, but maybe one of you knows a nice stretch. I am not that familiar with the Sarria - Santiago part of the Camino. Walked it only once and was at that time paying more attention to my fellow pilgrims than to the road or the scenery...
Bus to Santa Irene and walk to Amenal. Avoid pilgrim rush hour :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Anemone del Camino :D
That's why I thought about from one village to the next a bit before Santiago. So she can see the Camino craziness, but not the ugliness of walking into a big city. Walking into Finisterre might be a very nice idea though. Then it would be another kind of experience and something new for me too, because I have never walked further than Santiago...

Checking out the buses would be needed but a stretch anywhere between Palas de Rei and Lavacolla might be good. Much is on tracks and touches the road at intervals. See Primitivo 2012 and the relevant stages in the blog archive list.
Our stages were 15-16kms but others were walking less (80+ and 90 year olds)

I recommend getting a ride to A Coruña and staying a few days there. You could easily walk around the entire town and enjoy the city. It's very beautiful and it start the English way so you can follow some arrows in town. It's not far from Santiago and worth the trip. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
FA3A8EA7-AC6C-4940-B0F6-164789A091EB.JPG
Honestly the best stretch of 10km around Santiago are the 10km leaving town towards Finisterre, which could be done in reverse. Public transport can get you to Roxos on the #8 line and you could walk to Quintans from there, it is less than 1km. The walk back to Santiago is under 10km. Funny looking yellow arrows point the way back to Santiago.
I walked this route back into Santiago this April and really enjoyed it. The funny yellow arrows made it quite easy to find the way. There are some hills but also lots of walking through woods and some lovely views including looking towards the cathedral as you get closer to Santiago. And after a very quiet camino it was really fun saying buen camino or some variation to all the pilgrims walking in the other direction towards Finistere. Take water and snacks because there were few service points open at the time.

How about from Airapadron to Samos. The view as you look down on the monastery and walk into Samos is stunning. The walk from Airapadron is less than 5k and takes about an hour. That would leave her fresh enough to visit the monastery if you wanted to do that.

I recommend getting a ride to A Coruña and staying a few days there. You could easily walk around the entire town and enjoy the city. It's very beautiful and it start the English way so you can follow some arrows in town. It's not far from Santiago and worth the trip. Buen Camino.
Thanks, we certainly will pay A Coruña a visit!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm going to A Coruña on Thursday for a couple of days. Any recommendations of places to see? Food to eat? Etc.
Also, I'm taking the overnight (ugh) bus to Madrid. Is there anywhere I can leave my luggage (suitcase and backpack) between the time I have to check out of the hostal and when the bus leaves at 22:30? I'll ask at the hostal, but it's not staffed all day, so it may not be possible to leave it there.

I'm going to A Coruña on Thursday for a couple of days. Any recommendations of places to see? Food to eat? Etc.
Also, I'm taking the overnight (ugh) bus to Madrid. Is there anywhere I can leave my luggage (suitcase and backpack) between the time I have to check out of the hostal and when the bus leaves at 22:30? I'll ask at the hostal, but it's not staffed all day, so it may not be possible to leave it there.
There's so much to see and do in A Coruña. I highly recommend getting around via bicycle. The hotel I stayed in gave me a card to use the city bikes free all day ( hotel Coruña mar). There are bike locations all around town. Definitely walk around the tower of Hercules. Make sure to take a picture on the giant Compass shell. You can easily spend a day just walking around the entire point as there awesome sauce many sculptures and sites to see. There's a street on the narrow part of town called rua Estrella. That street is filled with the best places to eat. Check out all the menu de Dia and pick the one that appeals to you. I recall la taberna de Rita menu de dia was excellent. There's also a nice park near there. I spent 5 days there and discovered new sites everyday. Enjoy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A belated update. I spent a nice afternoon on the Camino with my parents. We walked just 8k, from Salceda to O Pedrouzo. It was easy to get a bus from Santiago (and back from O Pedrouzo). We met loads of pilgrims and my mother 'buen caminoed' to every single one of them. They loved it.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the update. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A belated update. I spent a nice afternoon at the Camino with my parents. We walked just 8k, from Salceda to O Pedrouzo. It was easy to get a bus from Santiago (and back from O Pedrouzo). We met loads of pilgrims and my mother 'buen caminoed' to every single one of them. They loved it.
:):):)

When I spent part of a day in A Coruna, I left my backpack at the left luggage office at the bus station. Only a few euros, not far to walk to the airport bus stop or train station. I walked into the city centre and ate lunch and did a bit of gift shopping. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit the lighthouse, cathedral or any other sights. Perhaps when I am back there in May...

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back