A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

A Nice Dogs thread

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
So many threads on Mean and Scary Dogs: I want one on Nice Dogs please. Please post your photos of Nice Dogs of the Caminos here, and say where they live, and their names if you know them.

These are all Via de la Plata hounds...where else have you seen Nice Dogs?

IMG_2571.jpg
This gorgeous big fella lives at the Hostel Albergue in Cañaveral. He has the freedom of the olive grove at the back - go through the gate and give him a cuddle. He is huge and slobbery but SO friendly.

IMG_2561.jpg
And this total softy at the sheep farm before the Embalse de Alcantara, that makes the famous Torta de Casar cheese - the lovely doggy protects those sheep. He is soft as mush and will roll over for a stroke.

IMG_2368.jpg
Maria's dear little dog at the Albergue Carmen in Villafranca de los Barros. Such a well behaved little girl, and so affectionate.

Good dogs! Have a biscuit!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
It is eternity now, it always has been and it always will be. We are in the midst of it.
This is Harry. We met at La Cruz de Ferro in the evening as I was laying pebbles for my brother, who had died 6 months previously. We bid farewell and I returned to my bed at Foncebadon.
As I passed the cross again the next morning Harry came bounding up to me. I like to think he remembered me, but it was more likely the remnants of the Jamon we shared the previous evening he recalled. We walked together to Acebo. All the way I was thinking, how can I get you back to the UK and how would my 2 dogs at home react. But real life kicked in and Harry was too well looked after to be a 'Trail Mutt'. I took Harry to the café as you enter Acebo and explained in international sign language to the girl that Harry would not leave my side and that he was far to big to sneak through Heathrow Arrivals.
She cottoned-on too readily, which made me think this was a regular occurrence. Harry was fed handsomely on the front lawn as I exited the backdoor. (A Camino Love Story)

Attachments

A

Anemone del Camino

I remember Leon in Canaveral, looking after the chickens in the backyard. I tried to encourage him to get up and come see me, but nope, he was not leaving his chickens.

Lots of Mastines, and also Perros de agua, Spanish native breeds. A few years ago even got to see a Pachon de Navarra, the brred probably at the root of my breed of Spaniels. Could not believe it was standing there, in frint of me on the plaza of a tiny village in the wee hours of the morning.

And then there was the one I also almost brought back home. He was from Molinaseca. Smart, and so patient with children. When I called the restaurant where I had seen him to see if he was still there they said a pilgrim had taken him with him. So that story ended well.

And the Bernese puppy in Rubiaes at albergue El Nido, named after a famous Portuguese writer.

I think every albergue should have a pet. Best therapy for aching feet.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Albergue owner's dog, in little village west of Burgos, catching the last of the afternoon sun.
Camino 116.jpg
I felt sorry for this old soul. We were up at La Laguna near O Cebreiro, a brisk day in early May with a cold wind blowing. All this old doggie wanted to do was lay in the sun and try to be warm, but the other village dogs - I guess further up on the dog ladder - just wouldn't leave him/her in peace. As soon as he came out into the sun, they would come barking at him - from quite some distance away - and chase him back to what they considered his relegated space, where there was no sun. :(
Camino 240.jpg

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
No dog, but close enough... Between Roquefort and Mont-de-Marsan on the Vezelay Route I had a cup of coffee outside a nice café. So did the owner of the little goat, who told me he always took it with him on a leash, otherwise it would get lonely and sad. The other local customers never batted an eye.

2016-05-23-10.55.06.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Similar photo to one by @Icacos but this was in Burgette. The dog was not soaking up the sun though. Instead he was wishing for some. Notice that he he keeping both his top and bottom dry.

D

Deleted member 36903

No photographs, but want to include the lovely dogs at Casa Fernanda who slept in the heat of the day 9if they had ownership of a seat they would not give it up for a human unless Fernanda intervened. They had fun at night hunting together for large frogs - oh, and the cats were friendly too.

Rick M

Camino(s) past & future
April ('16,'18, '19)
This is Harry. We met at La Cruz de Ferro in the evening as I was laying pebbles for my brother, who had died 6 months previously. We bid farewell and I returned to my bed at Foncebadon.
As I passed the cross again the next morning Harry came bounding up to me. I like to think he remembered me, but it was more likely the remnants of the Jamon we shared the previous evening he recalled. We walked together to Acebo. All the way I was thinking, how can I get you back to the UK and how would my 2 dogs at home react. But real life kicked in and Harry was too well looked after to be a 'Trail Mutt'. I took Harry to the café as you enter Acebo and explained in international sign language to the girl that Harry would not leave my side and that he was far to big to sneak through Heathrow Arrivals.
She cottoned-on too readily, which made me think this was a regular occurrence. Harry was fed handsomely on the front lawn as I exited the backdoor. (A Camino Love Story)
It was Harry and two colleagues who clamped on to me in Acebo last May. These guys (I have no pictures, sorry) are apparently part of the welcoming committee in Acebo, and are there to inspect the contents of your snack pouch for anything that may have survived that walk down from the peak. As I had to sit for a while and wait for friends, I watched them "inspect" everyone who walked into town. They were also on friendly terms (between pilgrims) with several kitchen doors on the main street through town. My guess is they do a pretty brisk trade. For those who are afraid of scary dogs, I understand. These dogs are not scary. All the dogs I encountered on the Frances were like the crew in Acebo, if not as well organized. They see a steady stream of treats, oops, I mean Pilgrims, that walk by them every day. Other than the farm dogs that tended to be all business, the rest want a pat on the head, a kind word, and most important, any food you may happen to have available.

Camino(s) past & future
It is eternity now, it always has been and it always will be. We are in the midst of it.
That's marvellous Rick and I quite believe it - but I am not jealous. Harry does what Harry does :D

Perry Lee

Camino(s) past & future
Planning first walk Sept/Oct 2917
So many threads on Mean and Scary Dogs: I want one on Nice Dogs please. Please post your photos of Nice Dogs of the Caminos here, and say where they live, and their names if you know them.

These are all Via de la Plata hounds...where else have you seen Nice Dogs?

View attachment 33768
This gorgeous big fella lives at the Hostel Albergue in Cañaveral. He has the freedom of the olive grove at the back - go through the gate and give him a cuddle. He is huge and slobbery but SO friendly.

View attachment 33769
And this total softy at the sheep farm before the Embalse de Alcantara, that makes the famous Torta de Casar cheese - the lovely doggy protects those sheep. He is soft as mush and will roll over for a stroke.

View attachment 33770
Maria's dear little dog at the Albergue Carmen in Villafranca de los Barros. Such a well behaved little girl, and so affectionate.

Good dogs! Have a biscuit!
I'm planning to walk the Camino in September/October of this year taking my campervan & two dogs. Hoping to walk about 30kms a day 4-5 days a week.
Can it be done ?
Where should I start ?l
Can I wild camp or should I stick to campsites ?
How will my dogs be received on the way ?
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
I met a collie on the VDLP recently that was a working dog. I let him jump up at me and fussed him, and the farmer looked at me like I was insane! [Sorry no photo of him.]

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
Does anyone have a photo of cute little Zeus and his brother at Alba Soraya in La Calzada de Béjar? They are so famous they are mentioned in the German guidebook.

Camino(s) past & future
C.Português:2012,2015,2018
C.P._Finisterra_Muxia:
This German Shepherd completely loose, between Finisterra and Muxia, walked with me for 2 km, and then disappeared as quickly as it appeared

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
This German Shepherd completely loose, between Finisterra and Muxia, walked with me for 2 km, and then disappeared as quickly as it appeared
Oh here is another heart warming dog story :D. I hope any dog-fearing new members are starting to feel better about the dogs now.

More please......

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes, Aragonese May-June 2018 incomplete
I will be making a donation to my local SPCA. I could not help any ill treated dogs in the rural areas of Spain but I can help those at home.

jana2017

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Santiago 2017, Portuguese planned 2018
I just walked the camino with my 16 year old daughter - and same as Reija - dog greeting slowed her down. She especially loved the big Galician dogs that would sidle up for a pet. We decided that our black lab would make a great Galician Camino Greeting Dog in his next life. We were so surprised that we barely saw a dog on a leash or chain and we only met one dog that wasn't friendly (a tiny one at an albergue). The rest were love bugs.

Attachments

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
I missed the dogs on the Vdlp this year, they were either busy at work minding stock or in town with their owners, none joined us for a walk as in past caminos. Best greeting I got was from my own loyal dog who was very pleased to see me return and take her for a walk. image.jpeg

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
I love this thread.
I missed my dogs so took every opportunity to make friends along the Way
1. This lovely girl was intent on digging something up in the park at Rabanal
2. This boy was getting some shade in the outskirts of Santiago - he was huge
3. These two were just chilling on the way to Triacastela
4. The old boy relaxing at the cafe at Alto do Poio
5. This boy was loved by his owner who walked out of the shot on the Meseta
6.The last one was a cute one in Santiago, with lovely curls and bright eyes.

I didn't get a photo of the tiny little yorkie who lived in the albergue we stayed at in Najera, or the big ones guarding the sheep past Ferro Cruz.

And edited to add in my baby sleeping peacefully at home.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
I'm guessing that Harry is the one standing on the bench.
Nope, that's Ruby. Harry is the galgo (greyhound.) Or was. All but Ruby and Paddy have since gone to their respective rewards (2017 was a rough year.). We are now down to Ruby and Judy, and we're babysitting Laika, a camino refugee who usually lives in O Cebreiro.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Here's a nice dog I came across on the camino; at least I think it is a dog. Anyway it is wondering where it's trousers are.
Screenshot_20181116-101825.png

I also came across this bad dog somewhere near Ponferrada. But it looks like he will be on a short leash for awhile.
Screenshot_20181116-101903.png

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%