• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Short Blog on Tapas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Calle Laurel! I remember it so well, Sabine.

Annie's post must have required considerable time and thought. I do thank her for it and would recommend it to any foodie - which is most of the human race.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anniesantiago said:
I did a short blog on tapas today.
If you have any additions, I'd love to add them!
What are your favorites?

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/

Annie, I don't call this "a short blog on tapas"! It's a fabulous post. Beautiful, in fact!

My introduction to tapas was in Logroño. The problem, of course, is that tapa bars are in full swing after the albergue's closing time. Still, once we arrived before the albergue had opened and we had a lunch of tapas at la Casa del Jamón, or el Palacio del Jamón. We received an introduction in Spanish hams, all this with the best open Rioja they had in the place. We had a fantastic time. That same evening, we went to the tapa streets (can't remember the names). We discovered then that we should order one tapa at a time, to find out how hungry we are as the evening goes on.

A Camino de Tapas

and if anyone wants to try a whole route in Santiago:

1.- A Taberna do Bispo en Rúa Franco muy cerca de la Parrillada Turca Anatolia, que se encuentra en la confluencia de esta calle vinícola con la Rúa do Vilar y que también podreis visitar.

2.- Mesón Restaurante O 42 en Rúa Franco con su jamón asado, el lacón, el pulpo y la empanada de la casa, alternan con otros exquisitos platos de la cocina gallega y con estupendos mariscos.

3.- O Barril también en Rúa do Franco recomendado la empanada y el jamón asado.

4.- Orella en Rúa da Raína imprescindible la oreja y el pulpo.

5.- Belgo Mejillons en la Calle Travesa si os gustan los mejillones no dudeis en visitarlo

6.- Mesón do Pulpo en la Rúa de Vista Alegre dificil de encontrar mesa pero es imprescindible visitarlo.

7.- Maria Castaña si buscais algo más delicatessen en la calle Rúa da Raíña con sus empanadas de harina de maiz.

8.- A Ladeira en Rúa do Vilar con su riquísima tortilla de pulpo y empanada de lomo y manzana

9.- O Botafumeiro cerca de la cuesta de San Martiño Pinario con sus croquetas caseras.

10.- Los Caracoles en A Rúa da Raíña con sus caracoles al Albariño.

I don't know if there is a pilgrim passport for this route but it sounds like fun:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
speaking of jamon and tapas
but slightly off-topic.....
after my camino i started looking around for a pig as a pet
you know - so i could feel i was still on the camino
the best seemed to be the Vietnamese pot-bellied pig
we'll call him Hamlet

JohnnieWalker said:
A Taberna do Bispo

My favourite tapas is from there, it is Bacalao, which is lightly grilled with a thin layer of cheese aoli and honey on top, it looks incredible and tastes even better. Wash it down with slightly sparkling albarino.

grilly said:
Anniesantiago said:
I did a short blog on tapas today.
If you have any additions, I'd love to add them!
What are your favorites?

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/

Annie, I don't call this "a short blog on tapas"! It's a fabulous post.

Annie, you have done a fantastic job here. You obviously did a lot of preparation to get the posting together. I have already decided that I'm going to go more for the tapas this year and less the same-as-ever Pilgrim menu (which is fine once in a while, but after 5/6 weeks, it gets too monotonous - especially the chips aka french fries, with everything)! Anne

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks everyone! Today I did coffee and desayuno!
Except I can't remember the name of the spread made of lard, meat, and paprika that you put on toast... Lillian thought it was sobreasada, but when I looked that up online, it appears to be the name of the chorizo. Does anyone know if that is truly the name of the spread?

:?: Ivar?

Anniesantiago said:
Thanks everyone! Today I did coffee and desayuno!

Another great post, Annie!

When on the Camino Frances, we had learn to have our first coffee at our first stop, which was often two hours later (except in a few places like Burgo Ranero and Sarria, where I can remember coffee and croissant, first thing at 6 or 7 am). On the VDLP, it does not look like it will be possible.

I have a fabulous memory of a breakfast/brunch in Muruzabal, shortly before Eunate, of huevos con chorizos. Nearly to die for! :)

claire

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: A Camino de Tapas

JohnnieWalker said:
and if anyone wants to try a whole route in Santiago:
I don't know if there is a pilgrim passport for this route but it sounds like fun:)
Isn't there a thing called "Paris-Dakar" in Santiago, where you have to go from cafeteria Paris to cervecería Dakar, and have to drink or eat something at every bar in between?
Does that come with something like a Credencial?

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Okay, Annie, here's a tapa. I've been stuck out in the bush for a bit, and recently there were only eggs, garlic and chorizo in stock.

What to do?

In a small amount of olive oil, I fry shavings of chorizo with plenty of garlic till it all colours a bit. Next, slices or shreds of Colby cheese are laid over this sofrito. As the cheese melts and spreads, I reduce temp to very low and break eggs on top of the whole mix. Salt and smoky paprika are sprinkled on top, and the pan is covered till the eggs are done. This is an old Italian way of frying eggs in garlicky mozzarella, but the Spanish flavourings are a fine addition.

Don't know why I'm telling you all this. I thought you'd understand.

Sounds great!
I love it when we are so creative!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been on the road the past couple of weeks. Broke a few ribs, too, so haven't felt much like sitting at the computer. :oops:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Crickey @ 10 in the morning you guys have made me hungry!

Patatas Bravas Tapas
Patatas_Bravas_468x372b.jpg

Love potatoes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cccjmMfYtU[/youtube]

And I didn't even get to try this particular plate of Pulpo, served up somewhere between Redondela and Pontevedra on the Portugues, as I was down at Vigo Hospital helping to translate for a walking companion who had woken up that morning with a bout of atrial fibrillation.

Mig

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.