• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Sleeping Bag Testimony

Betty Bauer

Time of past OR future Camino
October (2026)
I don't have THAT much to say about it yet, but I just wanted to share how in five minutes (actually less) I went from totally planning to deal with acquiring a sleeping after I got to Spain, because I just didn't want to deal with it, and only looking for the right liner, to falling in love with one and buying it on the spot.
It happens.
It could happen to you :)

Of course, having put it off and having my reasons for not wanting to deal with it, the actual price and weight of it (probably moderate) were incentives.
But I'm so happy :D
My pack feels right now (I'll probably change my mind about that later).
... I'm still looking for the right liner ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will opt for the silk liner as it is about 1/2 the weight of cotton. Also , as a fellow I met who had thru hiked the AT said, silk is just a little bit of luxury in an otherwise minimalist journey.

What bag did you buy? I bought mine in Spain when it turned out that a silk liner in itself wasn't enough. It was very small and light and not very warm, and after a few more outings the sleeping bag is the only thing in my pack that has gotten heavier since my first walk - everything else has got lighter or been left out. I love love love my sleeping bag and wouldn't be without it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What bag did you buy? I bought mine in Spain when it turned out that a silk liner in itself wasn't enough. It was very small and light and not very warm, and after a few more outings the sleeping bag is the only thing in my pack that has gotten heavier since my first walk - everything else has got lighter or been left out. I love love love my sleeping bag and wouldn't be without it!
Can you please let us know what sleeping bag you bought, I've yet to purchase mine. Thanks

This is the one I found:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12586550

It's a Koppen Viggo 40.
I was mainly impressed with it because it was hanging up besides some others. Once I looked it up online later, it was challenging to find out where the company stood in terms of quality, since it seems to be owned by the store (Dicks Sporting Goods) in which I bought it. They did have Marmut (sp?) ones too, but I liked the feel of this one.
The reviews seemed to indicate that the prices were usually good, but the stitching on the fabric could come out. Mine is fine and I don't mind sewing if some do do that. I used it last night and it's pretty lightweight and gets warm after a while. It was sold out at the store when I found it; I took the one that was on display. They had ones for colder temperatures but I wanted the lighter one to be safe.
All in all, it seems like a safe risk.

I should probably add that it had a ventilation option on the side opposite the zipper, which I had open when I was using it, so it probably gets warmer sooner when that is not being used.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought mine in Burgos, in a shop across the river and straight up the main road ... Base, or something? It is a cheap and cheerful synthetic summer bag called Okihi, never heard of the make before. My friend also bought a similar bag from a man in a van selling drinks, travel sized toiletries, rain ponchos etc out by the road somewhere. They are not top quality but they kept us warm there and then and I still use mine as a summer bag. If/when I go back to the Camino and Galicia in September though, I will be bringing my new and much warmer bag.

What is the size of it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I meant, inside it's pack cover (my bad!)

I can't find any actual measurements on it, but it has a compression sack, and, I was able to strap (the sack has straps as well) it into the top of my pack, and it only stuck out a few inches on each side. This would be the part of a pack that is above the main area and under the top (if your pack has one) pocket/layer that straps over the top opening. So, too big of course to go inside, but ... fairly small.

I have to admit it has been one tough choice. I have a great North Face ive used for three years but weighed almost 4lbs. Went to REI the other day and found a great Marmot under 2lbs super small in compression sack and under $100 im HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Cheers All

My own Camino sleeping bag is a Cumulus Lite Line 200. Good temperature range for Spain, low weight (~535 g) and packs real small. Recommended.

I also bring a mummy (not square) silk liner (120 g), which is what I've used alone most warm nights. Highly recommended - especially as it tends to keep most of the bed bugs out (as opposed to a sheet and blanket).

I only use the bag when it's chilly.

What time of year did you find a liner wasn't enough? I am going June 18 through July 30 and had planned to have a liner only (and use blankets in the albergues). Thank you in advance!

I have to admit it has been one tough choice. I have a great North Face ive used for three years but weighed almost 4lbs. Went to REI the other day and found a great Marmot under 2lbs super small in compression sack and under $100 im HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Cheers All

We have the same one, I think, and we too are pleased. I think it will be plenty for early June. The best part is how small it packs in addition to how light it is! I read about it in one of the threads here and ordered it online from REI.

I will opt for the silk liner as it is about 1/2 the weight of cotton. Also , as a fellow I met who had thru hiked the AT said, silk is just a little bit of luxury in an otherwise minimalist journey.
Luxury and bed bugs cant get through it either, Thats a bonus!!!!!!!!!

What time of year did you find a liner wasn't enough? I am going June 18 through July 30 and had planned to have a liner only (and use blankets in the albergues). Thank you in advance!

I went around the same time last year 24 June- 27 July 2013 and only carried a silk liner, the only place I was cold was in Roncevalles which didn't have blankets.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I went around the same time last year 24 June- 27 July 2013 and only carried a silk liner, the only place I was cold was in Roncevalles which didn't have blankets.
Thanks Bajaracer. I think I'd read that somewhere else as well. (In fact, someone mentioned staying at one albuergue over another there because of the blankets.) By the way, do you do the Baja 1000? I love watching those from time-to-time.

Thanks Bajaracer. I think I'd read that somewhere else as well. (In fact, someone mentioned staying at one albuergue over another there because of the blankets.) By the way, do you do the Baja 1000? I love watching those from time-to-time.

I've helped at the Baja 1000 since 2006 and many other races since 1999.
If you want another warm layer, a thermalon liner from snugpak http://www.proforceequipment.com/product-details.php?id=45&catid=26 combined with a silk liner would work.

I walked from mid-August 2012, just as Spain was hit by a heatwave, but it soon got too chilly for me after that. Mind you June and July will be consistently hot and I suppose even the large old stone buildings will be warm at night. It also depends on whether you sleep hot or cold - I have a tendency to get cold in the middle of the night and will wake up and not be able to get back to sleep if I can't get warm, so for me there was no other option than getting a bag. Also I got to Galicia in the end of September and you will get there in July - big difference. Most albergues have blankets and you should be carrying a fleece or merino/wool top anyway for chilly nights, so you should be fine!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from mid-August 2012, just as Spain was hit by a heatwave, but it soon got too chilly for me after that. Mind you June and July will be consistently hot and I suppose even the large old stone buildings will be warm at night. It also depends on whether you sleep hot or cold - I have a tendency to get cold in the middle of the night and will wake up and not be able to get back to sleep if I can't get warm, so for me there was no other option than getting a bag. Also I got to Galicia in the end of September and you will get there in July - big difference. Most albergues have blankets and you should be carrying a fleece or merino/wool top anyway for chilly nights, so you should be fine!
Thanks Nida. I sleep really hot, with the exception of my poor, freezing feet. (I will bring some very warm socks to sleep in.) As long as I have a blanket. I will be fine...I think.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.