• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A young girl gave me a euro

NathanNL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte / Primitivo
Last Sunday, I walked through Pesués. In one of the streets, a young girl approached me and she gave me a euro while saying something to me in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and at first I refused to take the money. As she kept insisting I accepted the euro.

Was this a friendly gesture or is there more to this?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just guessing...
A few times while on the Camino I've been asked by locals I've been chatting with (I'm spanish) to pray for them at Santiago, but they never offered me any money...
Maybe the girl wanted you to do it and gave you the Euro to encourage you.
If It happens to me I'll give the euro to charity and pray for her to the Apostle in Compostela.

Before we walked our first caminho from Lisbon in 2013 , we visited a friend in Madrid and he gave us a one euro coin, as a kind of talisman , for good luck.
once arrived in Santiago, what to do with the 1 euro coin ?
By then there were “professional” beggars in front of the cathedral - working from 9 to 5 and than with the in a back street parked car back home. They did not get the coin,.
We offered it for seeing the Botafumeiro swing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last Sunday, I walked through Pesués. In one of the streets, a young girl approached me and she gave me a euro while saying something to me in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and at first I refused to take the money. As she kept insisting I accepted the euro.

Many cathedrals allow you to light a candle for someone and ask a donation in return. I'd donate it and light one for her.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It is a deep sign of respect for your Camino and for your pilgrimage.

Similar children have on a couple of occasions offered me the same --

Respect, accept, and honour it ; and that €1 is better help along your Way than most can ever provide.

It is from Love, Faith, and deep Respect. So cherish it.

Once, a little girl on a day when I was walking hors piste sang me a song about how crazy and beautiful it is to walk to Santiago, and how all of us who do so are complete nutters. But they love us anyway. I think the best and most beautiful event of my last Camino, and that €1 is of that ilk.

I had a slightly different experience in Leon a few years ago; whilst having a nice sit-down on some steps a passer-by dropped a Euro into my hat. Whilst I certainly don’t look like I’ve missed a meal recently (or indeed, ever), I do dress for comfort and not for fashion whilst walking.

The contribution made its way into a charity-box in due course.

It’s to donate at the cathedral as a prayer. I’ve had it happen on 3 caminos. I speak Spanish and all 3 people asked me specifically to donate it at the cathedral and pray for a person (they gave me their name which I wrote down). What an honour!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a slightly different experience in Leon a few years ago; whilst having a nice sit-down on some steps a passer-by dropped a Euro into my hat. Whilst I certainly don’t look like I’ve missed a meal recently (or indeed, ever), I do dress for comfort and not for fashion whilst walking.
2010–2019, my primary transportation (my choice) was bicycle. I'm guessing that's what prompted some anonymous person to pay for a meal I had in a restaurant. Probably assumed I was in poverty.

Last year in Vigo, I was sitting with my friend down by the Real Club Náutico having a Clara Limón. A gentleman next to us bought us another round and asked us to pray for him in Santiago. When I got there, I lit a candle for him and said a prayer. We also made friends with a gentleman who gave us apples to eat and asked us to pray for him too. I felt humbled and grateful.

At the Parochial albergue in Logrono I went to the evening mass.

During the Peace a little "old" lady to my left extended her hands in the customary way. As we gently gripped one another I felt some metal left behind. I held it up, so she could see I had it, noticing it was a 1 Euro coin. I bowed my head to her to acknowledge the tremendous gift of love and goodwill that I had received. In return, she smiled.

@NathanNL, thank you for your story: kia kaha (take care, be strong)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back