• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accessing Camino Passport in Irún

PhilB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte July ‘24
Kimono Kodo ‘23
Hi fellow Pellegrini’s, we arrive in Irun after 6.30pm in mid July and plan to start our walk early the next day. Can anyone tell me where I can get my compostela passport and if it’s still open after 6pm? We also plan to forward our main luggage to SdC from Irun. I’m concerned that Spanish trading hours may complicate our plans for early start. Gracias.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We also plan to forward our main luggage to SdC from Irun
Do you mean that you want to ship luggage directly to Santiago, or use daily luggage transport?

If you want to ship directly to Santiago the Correos office closes at 8 pm. They also have a break between 2:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon.

You can order a credential from your national pilgrim association or from the forum store.

Do you mean that you want to ship luggage directly to Santiago, or use daily luggage transport?

If you want to ship directly to Santiago the Correos office closes at 8 pm. They also have a break between 2:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon.

You can order a credential from your national pilgrim association or from the forum store.
Thank you for the reply. Yes we are forwarding our main luggage (suitcases) all the way to Santiago and carrying a backpack with us for the 38 days. As we are arriving from Australia the previous day we have a short window to forward our luggage. Getting our credentials in Irun is our preference but if nothing is open then we will need to preorder it. I appreciate your prompt reply.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As we are arriving from Australia the previous day
Maybe you need to get going straight away, but if not then perhaps be mindful of your long journey from Australia and that the first week or so on the Norte which as well as being spectacularly beautiful is also very demanding physically. Be kind to your body those first few days and it will repay you later.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe you need to get going straight away, but if not then perhaps be mindful of your long journey from Australia and that the first week or so on the Norte which as well as being spectacularly beautiful is also very demanding physically. Be kind to your body those first few days and it will repay you later.
I agree that’s why we will spend two days in San Sebastián - rest and recuperate from flight and 25km walk from Irun.

Gronze.com says that the Pilgrim albergue sells them. You can probably buy one there even if you are not staying there.
I bought 2 of the last 3 they had on hand. I did not stay there.
You may want to write them and then pick them up. 2 per person will work.

In 2017 the office of the cathedral in Irun was open from 9am to 3pm only, if you want to get your first sello there. It's a pretty good slog over the mountains to San Sebastian. Take food and water. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Anyone know if the CdN has its “own” passport?
The only Caminos that havr their own credential (that I know of) are the Camino Salvador and the route to Fisterra/Muxía. That's because these routes do not end in Santiago.

The standard credentials issued by the cathedral and pilgrim associations around the world are for all the routes that end in Santiago.

Can anyone tell me where I can get my compostela passport and if it’s still open after 6pm?

Gronze.com says that the Pilgrim albergue sells them. You can probably buy one there even if you are not staying there.
When I walked in 2018 I got my credential at the municipal. I doubt that they will be have a bed open that late though. But regardless of the availability I am sure @J Willhaus is right about them selling you a credential if they have them. I don't know where you are living but I bet there is a national pigrim office and they can send you one in your home country.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it's good to collect a pilgrim passport from the Cathedral in Irun and I'm very glad we stayed the first night in Pasajes de San Juan. Getting any further would have been impossible for me or so I felt at the time

I think it's good to collect a pilgrim passport from the Cathedral in Irun and I'm very glad we stayed the first night in Pasajes de San Juan. Getting any further would have been impossible for me or so I felt at the time
We also stayed at Pasajes de San Juan. That first day was brutal on our late 60 year old knees. After a couple of days of more or less constant up and down we ended up bagging the Norte and switched to the Frances. Pasajes is a beautiful little town. Take the water taxi across the bay if you can.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
💯 correct.

You may also have to keep in line with the pilgrims checking in, that can be slow enough (speaking from experience 😀)

We also stayed at Pasajes de San Juan. That first day was brutal on our late 60 year old knees. After a couple of days of more or less constant up and down we ended up bagging the Norte and switched to the Frances. Pasajes is a beautiful little town. Take the water taxi across the bay if you can.
Get past the first week we shall be fine. We are doing lots of hill training for my 68 yr old knees. If all else fails I’m not too proud to make the days shorter or bus to next stop.

The albergue in Pasajes is delightful but only has 14 beds. Old people like me get priority. Maybe you will qualify. Nice stop. By the time you get there you will want a bed. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The albergue in Pasajes is delightful but only has 14 beds. Old people like me get priority. Maybe you will qualify. Nice stop. By the time you get there you will want a bed. Buen Camino
I really liked that little albergue. Another pilgrim and I arrived before they opened, but the hospitalero was there and let us in. We got the primo beds that weren't bunks. The hospitalero was very nice and gave us a sample of his homemade wine. 😊🍷

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.