Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Air mattress, useful or not?

TheWalkingDutchMan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France 2017
Hello!

I'll be starting on the primitivo next Wednesday. I have a fairly light air matress (about 600 grams), which I consider to bring a long as a back-up in case albergues run out of bed. Do you think it is a useful thing to do? Or are the albergues still fairly quiet this time of year?

Cheers!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For reference, I had an even lighter air pillow and it was the first thing I tossed out of my bag. I advise against it-
I don't know how hard it will be to find a bed, but I think I'd rather sleep on the ground than take up space/weight with an air mattress in the off chance I'd need it- air mattress not that comfy anyhow....
I see you walked the Camino Frances too- Primitivo seems to be quieter but also seems to have less places to stay- I booked ahead beds for the end of June with a little difficulty and am paying a bit more, but do see walk-up albergue options.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've done the Primitivo twice, also in June and didn't have the need for one. Who knows how busy it will be this year but I don't remember hearing that anyone had a problem finding a bed last year and it was quite a bit busier according to friends who walked than the prior year but then again that was in 2021 when there were still restrictions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Maybe as a compromise for "just in case" you could bring a very light foam mat instead.

Those very thin ones with aluminium on one side weigh next to nothing (<150grams). You can also use them as a picnic blanket, put it on wet park benches or on the ground to sit down in bad weather, or to lie on during a rest break (very nice if you want to take a nap and put up your feet mid day). Not comfortable for sleeping but better than nothing.

I personally always carry a shortened z-lite foam mat (~300 grams, folds in zig-zag pattern, not rolled) for that purpose, no matter which Camino/hike. It's a bit heavier but more comfortable.

Even if fire regulations don't allow additional pilgrims to sleep inside an albergue, for sleeping in the yard, on the terrace, a communal overflow (sports gym) or park bench it might be helpful.

Most likely not really needed, but since it can be used in other ways, too, it depends on personal preference if you want to bring one or not. Most pilgrims would see it as useless weight, for me, I use it a lot, it's an essential part of my gear.

Maybe as a compromise for "just in case" you could bring a very light foam mat instead.

Those very thin ones with aluminium on one side weigh next to nothing (<150grams). You can also use them as a picnic blanket, put it on wet park benches or on the ground to sit down in bad weather, or to lie on during a rest break (very nice if you want to take a nap and put up your feet mid day). Not comfortable for sleeping but better than nothing.

I personally always carry a shortened z-lite foam mat (~300 grams, folds in zig-zag pattern, not rolled) for that purpose, no matter which Camino/hike. It's a bit heavier but more comfortable.

Even if fire regulations don't allow additional pilgrims to sleep inside an albergue, for sleeping in the yard, on the terrace, a communal overflow (sports gym) or park bench it might be helpful.

Most likely not really needed, but since it can be used in other ways, too, it depends on personal preference if you want to bring one or not. Most pilgrims would see it as useless weight, for me, I use it a lot, it's an essential part of my gear.
I often carried an Exped self inflating sleeping mat. It served me well on airport floors, bus and rail stations, park benches etc. It was however, a total brute, even when deflated, to cram back into its original bag! You would need the strength of ten :) It died the death however when the valve stuck and couldn't be repaired ! RAB make a good model as well. All the best.

Samarkand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would carry a few extra euro to take a taxi rather than a half kilo of mattress. A real bed is worth the expense.

Just my 2 cents.

We're all different! On a three and a half months long Camino last year the worst night's sleep I had was probably the one time I got a wonderful and very expensive hotel room for myself after three months of walking (followed closely by the hostel in France where the other pilgrims returned completely drunk and on drugs in the middle of the night and destroyed the furniture, so that I barricaded my room's door to keep them out).

I guess after three months mostly sleeping in the tent it was a bit difficult to re-adjust.

As long as the weather is good I'd certainly prefer a spot in an albergue garden on my trusted 300g sleeping mat over a hotel room!

When I was a child my family only did camping and we even had a "hotel rooms? No, thanks!" sticker on the caravan. I guess that might have been an influence 🤣.

Apart from that, not everyone can afford a taxi to the next hotel whenever the albergues are full. Bringing gear for sleeping outside is a reasonable thing to do then.

Both are some kind of plan b), which is always good to have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For reference, I had an even lighter air pillow and it was the first thing I tossed out of my bag. I advise against it-
I don't know how hard it will be to find a bed, but I think I'd rather sleep on the ground than take up space/weight with an air mattress in the off chance I'd need it- air mattress not that comfy anyhow....
I see you walked the Camino Frances too- Primitivo seems to be quieter but also seems to have less places to stay- I booked ahead beds for the end of June with a little difficulty and am paying a bit more, but do see walk-up albergue options.
Buen Camino!
I just finished the Primitivo and had no problem showing up at albergues without booking. There are plenty of services. Enjoy!

Hello!

I'll be starting on the primitivo next Wednesday. I have a fairly light air matress (about 600 grams), which I consider to bring a long as a back-up in case albergues run out of bed. Do you think it is a useful thing to do? Or are the albergues still fairly quiet this time of year?

Cheers!
As a general rule, "just in case" items are good ones to leave behind!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I generally agree with that although I was thinking today that I make an exception for toilet paper.
LOL - TP is not a "just in case" item - 1000% likelihood of needing to go to the bathroom somewhere along the camino! ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
LOL - TP is not a "just in case" item - 1000% likelihood of needing to go to the bathroom somewhere along the camino! ;)
I far prefer to use the WC in a bar or cafe after a coffee. My trowel and TP have been 'just in case' items on every pilgrimage I have done, and are in my walking pack at home. I have never needed to use them walking in Spain and Portugal. Like @David Tallan, they are one 'just in case' item that I do pack.

I have carried an ultralight mattress and bivvy bag on my last two caminos and never needed to use them (apart from one night on the floor at Libson airport.) Together they weigh 560 grams and even though I have never used them I consider it an acceptable weight trade off for the ability to set up anywhere I want for the night should the need arise.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, you learn very quickly that every ounce of weight makes a difference. Nonetheless I still struggle to get below 8-9 kilos.

I still struggle to get below 8-9 kilos.

Gloating he says:
My start of day weight all up is under 7 kg.
This includes, water, rolled oats for three weeks, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad (neck to knee 220 g), changes of clothes and wet weather stuff, large toilet roll, tablet and many other bites and pieces.

Here is the link for my packing list: LighterPack

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even if I were to be brutal with my packing, I’d still be at 8 kilos. Water bottles x 2, guide book and two mobile phones for starters. Then basic clothes, wet weather gear and sleeping bag bumps it up. Add the bits and pieces, no matter how small or light weight and bingo, 8 kg before you can sigh. My only answer; to strengthen the upper body and core muscles and adapt. There are some things you just gotta have! But I always reserve the right to dump things along the way, and usually I do :)

Gloating he says:
My start of day weight all up is under 7 kg.
This includes, water, rolled oats for three weeks, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad (neck to knee 220 g), changes of clothes and wet weather stuff, large toilet roll, tablet and many other bites and pieces.

Here is the link for my packing list: LighterPack

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
Wow, that’s amazing. Your list and organisation are impressive. And I love a bit of colour coding. 🟧🟦🟪. Thank you @AlwynWellington 🙏. Given that I don’t take a sleeping pad or rolled oats, surely I can reduce my current pack weight which typically sits at around 7kg without water. That said, I have a few comfort items which I probably won’t leave behind, so maybe not 😍

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back