• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Valcarlos

Wazza

Time of past OR future Camino
de Frances 2017. Finisterre 2017
My wife and I are commencing the Camino Frances on 31 August. This is a pilgrimage I'm memory of our young daughter (44) who passed away earlier this year due to cancer. She left two young children. Our pilgrimage is one of reflection and thanksgiving so we will do the Volcaros route over the Pyrenees. My question is - what accommodation options are recommended in Valcarlos?
Thankyou

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dumb question - how do I get this in English?......I'm a little embarrassed my Spanish is not up to scratch yet.

Dumb question - how do I get this in English?......I'm a little embarrassed my Spanish is not up to scratch yet.
Oops, no idea. o_O I always thought it also came in English. But you don'tneed much Spanish to figure out its information.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not really,I have a Samsung S7 and I let it translate.
Every time a foreign page pops up it get translated in English , very handy .

Wish you well,Peter.

Last edited:
That's a very special reason you have for walking the camino.
I stayed in Valcarlos in April this year and loved it. Spent the night at the municipal albergue which was basic but perfectly fine. However, any of the above options should be equally fine. Had a delicious late 3 course menu del dia at the local bar full of wonderfully noisy local families.
The Valcarlos route does have a bit of walking on the road but I found once I got over the first surprise of how little space there was for pedestrian access that it was fine. Walk on the left and keep close to the guard rail. Also my advice is, if weather OK, then take all the off road options available. They are absolutely beautiful.
Buen camino

Open the Gronze site in the web browser CHROME. It will offer to translate the site from Spanish into English.

All android devices automatically use CHROME. For Apple it it a free download in the Apple Store.

On a PC if you don't have chrome, search for it in your existing search engine. Once you get the site Download Chrome follow the instructions. I hope this helps.

Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
donalomahony, you are pure genius. Thank you for this.

(Note - you need to translate on the search engine page.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My wife and I are commencing the Camino Frances on 31 August. This is a pilgrimage I'm memory of our young daughter (44) who passed away earlier this year due to cancer. She left two young children. Our pilgrimage is one of reflection and thanksgiving so we will do the Volcaros route over the Pyrenees. My question is - what accommodation options are recommended in Valcarlos?
Thankyou
Dear Wazza,
I am so sorry for your loss
Please let us know how you are doing when you walk

This forum is such a wonderful place to be ....
So much kindness and practical help given by so many wonderful members
A unique forum indeed

Just ask...
Best wishes
Annette

I stayed in Valcarlos in April this year and loved it. Spent the night at the municipal albergue which was basic but perfectly fine. However, any of the above options should be equally fine. Had a delicious late 3 course menu del dia at the local bar full of wonderfully noisy local families.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I stayed my very first night in the municipal too. It was pretty recently built, very clean, basic and I found it very fine. You should ask for the key in the local pub.

The good part of walking this route for me was that there are only a few people, as most people take the traditional road. I walked completely alone the first day and only met other pilgrims half through the day on the second, it was a meditative start.
I hope this helps!

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Valcarlos route does have a bit of walking on the road but I found once I got over the first surprise of how little space there was for pedestrian access that it was fine. Walk on the left and keep close to the guard rail. Also my advice is, if weather OK, then take all the off road options available. They are absolutely beautiful.
Buen camino
I agree! I did the exact same thing as you for lodging, dinner and all the off road options on both spring Camino Frances route. It was all wonderful and still lots of climbing, especually the 2nd day!

To translate any web page:

Copy the url of the website you want to translate.
Go to https://translate.google.com/ and paste that url into the text field.
Select the languages you want to translate from/to.
Click 'translate'.

Direkt link for the page you need: https://translate.google.com/transl...n-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles&edit-text=

You can click now normally through the translated page and it stays translated. Buen Camino, SY

I found the Valcarlos albergue particularly good -one of the best where I have stayed. Modern, with kitchen, washing machine, etc. It is right after you climb a steep last section and go into the town, before the main little square. You can buy staples in Benta Ardandegia, a combination of bar/minimarket typical of many villages.
After Valcarlos and a bit of road, you go by a forest, so it is more shaded that the Napoleon way.
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thankyou every one for your advice and insights!..........we're counting down the days when we can have the Camino experience and to reflect on the life of our daughter.
Based on feedback we've booked at Luzaide Albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.