• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Addicted to Spain

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
I am seriously considering selling my house and relocating to Spain. At my age, owning a home will become problematic due to my increasing age and the home's age. My house is small, but beautifully located on 25 acres of mature woodlands with mountain views and on top of a ridge here in Western Maine. My mortgage is down to 5 digits, but it has been assessed to be worth in the low to mid 6 digits. My motivation is that I have spent parts of the past 10 years travelling to Northern Spain to hike and backpack with each trip of about a month in length. However on each of the seven past trips I was basically walking from place to place every day, but rarely spending more than a day or two in each town or village.

I will be returning to Spain in September to continue my rambling by finishing my walk of the 820 kilometer Camino de Santiago Northern Route which was interrupted by Covid, injury, and a social commitment. This will be the fourth time on the Del Norte with only 400 kilometers (250 miles) remaining.

I also have recently paid for two months (February and March 2024) on an apartment in Alicante which is located on the Costa la Sol on the Mediterranean coast in order to try and experience a longer stay in one location.

One of my goals is to enroll in a Spanish language immersion course for English speaking expats.

Hopefully. by next Spring I will have decided my course of action.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Alicante is fabuolus!

Some years ago, I spent 1 month there, attending a Spanish language school, www.enforex.com . It is intensive and very good, right on the beach. They will pair you with a stay in a local apartment/house, which helps immensibly: You will practice Spanish even after school day. I found it to be very inexpensive.

Good luck!

I have been living in Spain for 6 years now. I still love it, but I think it is a very good idea to stay for longer in the same place. The south and mediterranean coast are also rather different from the north of Spain. In general, Spain is a wonderful country to live in for anyone who brings in a foreign pension, but it can be much harder for people who need to provide themselves an income.

After travelling for 10 years to northern Spain, I am curious why you chose to look around in Alicante.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been living in Spain for 6 years now. I still love it, but I think it is a very good idea to stay for longer in the same place. The south and mediterranean coast are also rather different from the north of Spain. In general, Spain is a wonderful country to live in for anyone who brings in a foreign pension, but it can be much harder for people who need to provide themselves an income.

After travelling for 10 years to northern Spain, I am curious why you chose to look around in Alicante.
If I put my property on the market here in Maine, May and June are prime months in which to do so. Our winters here can be very cold and snowy (see picture). However, I do need to spend the early winter here at home for 2023 - 24. Thinking I may be able to get a little relief from snow and ice I chose the southern Spain location in late winter. I realize that the temperatures in Alicante are not that warm during those two months, but surely better than where I live. .

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
Beware buying the postcard.

Rambling holiday visits aren't reality and you will become old ... how will you feel being old, possibly ill, possibly in hospital, in a foreign country?

So, I say, beware buying the postcard.

Edited: - but then, my motto is "Never take moderation to excess" so if that is your heart? Why not?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beware buying the postcard.

Rambling holiday visits aren't reality and you will become old ... how will you feel being old, possibly ill, possibly in hospital, in a foreign country?

So, I say, beware buying the postcard.
I'm already old and will be 84 in the Spring of 24. I will have nobody here in the States, so when I go, I go. I have lived alone since 2003 and love it. I have hiked solo across the globe for the past 43 years.

Alicante will definitely be warmer than Maine... 😁
But is that the region you are thinking about to settle down?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will love Spain. The beureaucrats will srive you crazy, but there is genuine community here still...more & more Americans like you are finding home is here. I have.
Thanks Rebekah. I have been following your posts for quite a while now and enjoy reading your contributions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm already old and will be 84 in the Spring of 24. I will have nobody here in the States, so when I go, I go. I have lived alone since 2003 and love it. I have hiked solo across the globe for the past 43 yea.

Absolutely onboard with your vision...and quite possibly in the same boat (when I go, I go...). Putting together my next Camino, either Norte or Portuguese (from Lisbon), so will be interested in following your posts...Take Care, and we will see you on the other side of the pond...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am seriously considering selling my house and relocating to Spain. At my age, owning a home will become problematic due to my increasing age and the home's age. My house is small, but beautifully located on 25 acres of mature woodlands with mountain views and on top of a ridge here in Western Maine. My mortgage is down to 5 digits, but it has been assessed to be worth in the low to mid 6 digits. My motivation is that I have spent parts of the past 10 years travelling to Northern Spain to hike and backpack with each trip of about a month in length. However on each of the seven past trips I was basically walking from place to place every day, but rarely spending more than a day or two in each town or village.

I will be returning to Spain in September to continue my rambling by finishing my walk of the 820 kilometer Camino de Santiago Northern Route which was interrupted by Covid, injury, and a social commitment. This will be the fourth time on the Del Norte with only 400 kilometers (250 miles) remaining.

I also have recently paid for two months (February and March 2024) on an apartment in Alicante which is located on the Costa la Sol on the Mediterranean coast in order to try and experience a longer stay in one location.

One of my goals is to enroll in a Spanish language immersion course for English speaking expats.

I am also looking at moving to Spain in the next few months. Good luck with your move.

Go for it. You’re a long time dead. Best wishes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Sounds like a plan! I moved here initially in 2005, then went back to the UK again in 2011. I moved back to Spain (Madrid) again in 2017, the plan is to stay this time.

My situation is a bit different, because I've been travelling to Spain from the UK almost every 2 or 3 years since the 60s. My mother was born here, not too far from Villafranca-del-Bierzo, where I still have family. I can also speak the language, an essential requirement to live in Spain (unless one chooses to live in an isolated expat community).

Moving home can be a big ordeal, let alone moving country and then to one of a different language and culture. However, many people do this, at all ages and for many different reasons. It can be a bit challenging at first, however, one adapts to the new way of life sooner or later. The more you go with the flow, the better and easier it will be.

There are many Americans who have moved to Spain and Portugal in recent years, although I've no idea of how the trend is at the moment. Most seem to have an independent source of income to not have to look for work in Spain (which would be quite difficult at the moment). Having said that, there are several things people can do to get by and perhaps find a lifestyle that suits.

The Mediterranean coast near Alicante is known as Costa Blanca, which extends from Denia to Torrevieja. The Costa del Sol is on the south coast, roughly from Málaga to Marbella - and a few places either side. Both areas have their charm and special interest for people who enjoy being close to the Mediterranean Sea. However, they are very turístic areas, especially close to the coast. The summers are long, hot and humid, Spring and Autumn can have sporadic flash-floods, so do your research well. You'll find English is more widely spoken and understood in the tourist areas, but learning Spanish will be essential to operate with independence and confidence. If you are starting the language from scratch, it could take 10 years to reach a competent level of fluency, although some people achieve it quicker by only ever listening and speaking in Spanish.

Sounds like a plan! I moved here initially in 2005, then went back to the UK again in 2011. I moved back to Spain (Madrid) again in 2017, the plan is to stay this time.

My situation is a bit different, because I've been travelling to Spain from the UK almost every 2 or 3 years since the 60s. My mother was born here, not too far from Villafranca-del-Bierzo, where I still have family. I can also speak the language, an essential requirement to live in Spain (unless one chooses to live in an isolated expat community).

Moving home can be a big ordeal, let alone moving country and then to one of a different language and culture. However, many people do this, at all ages and for many different reasons. It can be a bit challenging at first, however, one adapts to the new way of life sooner or later. The more you go with the flow, the better and easier it will be.

There are many Americans who have moved to Spain and Portugal in recent years, although I've no idea of how the trend is at the moment. Most seem to have an independent source of income to not have to look for work in Spain (which would be quite difficult at the moment). Having said that, there are several things people can do to get by and perhaps find a lifestyle that suits.

The Mediterranean coast near Alicante is known as Costa Blanca, which extends from Denia to Torrevieja. The Costa del Sol is on the south coast, roughly from Málaga to Marbella - and a few places either side. Both areas have their charm and special interest for people who enjoy being close to the Mediterranean Sea. However, they are very turístic areas, especially close to the coast. The summers are long, hot and humid, Spring and Autumn can have sporadic flash-floods, so do your research well. You'll find English is more widely spoken and understood in the tourist areas, but learning Spanish will be essential to operate with independence and confidence. If you are starting the language from scratch, it could take 10 years to reach a competent level of fluency, although some people achieve it quicker by only ever listening and speaking in Spanish.
Thank you for the advice and information. I appreciate that.
I have a tenuous link to Spain as I am distantly related to Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena of Battenberg, Queen of Spain as the wife of King Alfonso XIII. Not that means a whit. :)

I'm already old and will be 84 in the Spring of 24. I will have nobody here in the States, so when I go, I go. I have lived alone since 2003 and love it. I have hiked solo across the globe for the past 43 years.
It is a great country whether you speak the language or not, but if you speak a little bit of Spanish and you bring your income with you, you will have next to no issues. I believe it will be a good move for you. Buena Suerte😊

I want to live forever in Spain as well!! I love coastal La SIL as well!!!

That sounds so exciting. What a great adventure. We made the decion to move to France from the UK 18 years ago and I've never regretted it. I'm definitely getting a pull towards France but seeing as my Oh hasn't been drawn to the Çamino, and doesn't like hot weather, I think I'd better stick to France.
Enjoy your time in Alicante, sounds like a sensible plan.

A bit of a tangent..........but relevant I think.

So many of us dream of moving to Spain or elsewhere.
We did initially.

After my last Camino I spent a week staying with my sister in France.
They have been there 2 years and live in a village North East of Bordeaux.

South of them is the area of the Dordogne which they refer to as DordogneShire given the number of Brits who live there.

Even in their area, we went out for lunch one day to a nearby town, and found the restaurant owned by Brits and all the customers were Brits!

I'm sure there are areas like that in Spain, particularly in the South East.
I suppose it's something to be aware of, depending on what type of environment you want to live in :rolleyes:

The other aspect was rather sad.

They try hard to learn the language and integrate into the local community.
It's a small village in a rural area.
And I guess they have little in common with their neighbours, many of whom are farmers.

And what seems to have happened naturally, is that on first arrival, they met a few other Brits.
These people, many of whom have lived their for years, naturally become a great source of advice and support initially.
They then become good friends.
And the 'go to' social circle.
And so the social circle struggles to break out of the 'comfort' zone.

I have some experience of this myself.
Many years ago I lived in Germany in a rather insular environment. (Military)

And more recently, having been married to a Thai for 20+ years, we spend a lot of time in Thailand.
That's not so insular, and I'm with a 'local' but I can safely say my Spanish and German, is way better than my Thai! So social interaction with locals is limited.

Some some random thoughts..............as an excuse not to be working :rolleyes:

As @David remarked. There can be a danger we buy the postcard.

Just saw your post @Sue127 . Have I got it wrong with France? What was your experience?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A bit of a tangent..........but relevant I think.

So many of us dream of moving to Spain or elsewhere.
We did initially.

After my last Camino I spent a week staying with my sister in France.
They have been there 2 years and live in a village North East of Bordeaux.

South of them is the area of the Dordogne which they refer to as DordogneShire given the number of Brits who live there.

Even in their area, we went out for lunch one day to a nearby town, and found the restaurant owned by Brits and all the customers were Brits!

I'm sure there are areas like that in Spain, particularly in the South East.
I suppose it's something to be aware of, depending on what type of environment you want to live in :rolleyes:

The other aspect was rather sad.

They try hard to learn the language and integrate into the local community.
It's a small village in a rural area.
And I guess they have little in common with their neighbours, many of whom are farmers.

And what seems to have happened naturally, is that on first arrival, they met a few other Brits.
These people, many of whom have lived their for years, naturally become a great source of advice and support initially.
They then become good friends.
And the 'go to' social circle.
And so the social circle struggles to break out of the 'comfort' zone.

I have some experience of this myself.
Many years ago I lived in Germany in a rather insular environment. (Military)

And more recently, having been married to a Thai for 20+ years, we spend a lot of time in Thailand.
That's not so insular, and I'm with a 'local' but I can safely say my Spanish and German, is way better than my Thai! So social interaction with locals is limited.

Some some random thoughts..............as an excuse not to be working :rolleyes:

As @David remarked. There can be a danger we buy the postcard.

Just saw your post @Sue127 . Have I got it wrong with France? What was your experience?
Hi @Robo,
I think it very much depends on what you are prepared to do to become integrated and is probably more difficult the smaller the village/town.
Our house is isolated, so we had to make an effort, but we wanted to belong. We were both still working and although our French was pretty dubious at that time, we found the French happy to help do long as we tried. We were (and often still are) a great source of amusement to them.
We immediately signed up for French lessons and joined the local folk dance group. Since then we've joined and left several associations, but run a monthly folk club in a local bar.
One of our children moved across with us at age 11 and did her upper and university education here (but is now back in UK).

Yes, our first go to people are Brits, but we definitely did not want to become part of a 'little England" enclave.

We are very happy here and, in fact, I received my French nationality this year.

Stepping out of your comfort zone from time to time is necessary to move forwards.

Maybe a move to a small town might open new opportunités to integrate?

Hi @Robo,
I think it very much depends on what you are prepared to do to become integrated and is probably more difficult the smaller the village/town.
Our house is isolated, so we had to make an effort, but we wanted to belong. We were both still working and although our French was pretty dubious at that time, we found the French happy to help do long as we tried. We were (and often still are) a great source of amusement to them.
We immediately signed up for French lessons and joined the local folk dance group. Since then we've joined and left several associations, but run a monthly folk club in a local bar.
One of our children moved across with us at age 11 and did her upper and university education here (but is now back in UK).

Yes, our first go to people are Brits, but we definitely did not want to become part of a 'little England" enclave.

We are very happy here and, in fact, I received my French nationality this year.

Stepping out of your comfort zone from time to time is necessary to move forwards.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I think the big factor, is that you were working.
This perhaps gives a degree of enforced integration.
They were both retired........

You are in inspiration! I have wanted to live in either Italy or Spain for most of my life, but as I've gotten older it feels more daunting to do it by myself. You inspire me to "just do it!"

Hi @Robo,

I've been working on my Spanish language acquisition bit by bit over the past ten years. I have a pretty large vocabulary, but complete sentence linkage and correct syntax is pretty much not there yet. I would surely prefer a small town or village since that is where I have been living for the past 40+ years. One of my careers had me in large metropolises for 20 years and I would rather not settle in one.

You are in inspiration! I have wanted to live in either Italy or Spain for most of my life, but as I've gotten older it feels more daunting to do it by myself. You inspire me to "just do it!"
I know that I am taking a risk. But as one of the prior commenters said. "death lasts a long time".
Actually as I think about it, Risk was my life for twenty years. I am a retired military Bomb Disposal Technician (EOD) who after retirement went into education and taught middle-school for 26 years. EOD was much less stressful, no joke.

You brought up something important to consider, @Robo. I have been living in Asturias (northern Spain) for 5 years now and I have to admit that the persons here that I have become friends with are mostly other expats.

It is just how it often goes, especially in the countryside. Like your sister, I don't have much in common with most of the other villagers (however we get along well). You meet other expats at the language class, all in the same boat, same questions, same doubts, all looking for a new social life. While the locals already have friends.

And although I speak Spanish quite well, I am far from fluent. I don't always understand people, especially in noisy bars. In group conversations I am not fast enough to join in, don't always get the inside jokes. It is different and I think it always will be.

I will never be one of them. Even people from other parts of Spain are considered outsiders. That doesn't have to be a problem of course. It is just something to take into account.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know that I am taking a risk. But as one of the prior commenters said. "death lasts a long time".
Actually as I think about it, Risk was my life for twenty years. I am a retired military Bomb Disposal Technician (EOD) who after retirement went into education and taught middle-school for 26 years. EOD was much less stressful, no joke.
That's interesting, because a family member of mine lives in Pontevedra and he has spent a lot of his time involved in the use of robots used for disarming mines and bombs. He's coming up to retirement within the next 5 years, although in Spain that is 60 years of age for military personnel (they didn't get the same deal as other European countries). We have often talked about what he might do when he retires. He's been in the military since he was a young man and has served in Bosnia and Afghanistan.

You brought up something important to consider, @Robo. I have been living in Asturias (northern Spain) for 5 years now and I have to admit that the persons here that I have become friends with are mostly other expats.

It is just how it often goes, especially in the countryside. Like your sister, I don't have much in common with most of the other villagers (however we get along well). You meet other expats at the language class, all in the same boat, same questions, same doubts, all looking for a new social life. While the locals already have friends.

And although I speak Spanish quite well, I am far from fluent. I don't always understand people, especially in noisy bars. In group conversations I am not fast enough to join in, don't always get the inside jokes. It is different and I think it always will be.

I will never be one of them. Even people from other parts of Spain are considered outsiders. That doesn't have to be a problem of course. It is just something to take into account.
Hi Luka, these are very interesting observations. Spanish people are very friendly and welcoming, but to become close friends takes time. The language of the locals will always be a challenge, but my advice is to join in anyway, at least to not feel that you can't join in if you want to. Many Spanish people are quite conservative, so sometimes we just have to learn what is acceptable and what isn't. Best not to enter into debates about politics or religion. Even within Spanish families they have big bust ups over these topics. I'm half-Spanish, born in the UK, so I've been keenly aware of the cultural differences between my family in Spain and the UK. It's strange, because I never really felt English while living in the UK. But when I came to live and work in Spain for the first time in 2005, it was the first time I felt English! I've made some great friends in Spain over the years, through work and also socially. It helps by having a sense of humour and being able to just accept the way Spanish culture operates and just get on with it. It's perfectly common to hear Spanish people criticising Spain or any aspect of Spanish life, but they won't accept that criticism from a foreigner, not even a half-Spanish like me, at least not without some criticism being flung back at me!

"settle down"? 🤔 No need to do that either ... "roots" are overrated 😉
So much world to experience ... so little time ❣️
True, but if one wants to wander around Spain instead of registering a specific address and staying there, the bureaucracy that Rebekah mentioned increases. (Been there, fought that.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a tenuous link to Spain as I am distantly related to Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena of Battenberg, Queen of Spain as the wife of King Alfonso XIII. Not that means a whit.:)
That's the very thing that could work in your favour. Many things in Spain are made easier by who you know, rather than what you can do. If you can flash some kind of Spanish royalty card, then you never know what doors might open for you. Also, as in most places, having money to pay for one's needs is going to make it so much more easier to enjoy life wherever you are. There is a lot to explore in Spain and Portugal, with great road and rail infrastructure that will be a breath of fresh air compared to most countries.

Last edited:

Good luck and hope you enjoy livingi in Spain.

I have a tenuous link to Spain as I am distantly related to Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena of Battenberg, Queen of Spain as the wife of King Alfonso XIII. Not that means a whit.:)
I've really enjoyed this whole conversation.At 79 years of age I wondered what the future holds and I read this and think, God bless you,Hillwalker.You've just woken me up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.