• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on which stages we should do with only 9 days of walk

pauladpm

Hi all,

We have 12 days this year to devote to the Camino (Aug 25th to Sept. 5th 2013) and we are thinking of doing 9 days of walking in 3 sets of consecutive stages with 3 days for travel by bus/train/taxi between stages that we don't walk. We are not doing this as a physical challenge - for us this is a personal spiritual journey - our son passed away last year and we (his parents) want to walk in his honor, to have time for peace, contemplation and connection with each other and others on the journey. So we are really looking to walk the stages that are most conducive to that kind of experience. We have not yet booked our travel so could start at any point on the Camino. Any advice for us on where to start and which stages we should walk. Many thanks in advance to you all!

Paula (San Francisco)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago would fit into your schedule. You could use the travel days to walk shorter days, or as rest days.

Hi Paula!

Such a difficult question, so just a few thoughts to throw into the mix.

1) Is getting a Compostela at the end important to you? If so, you'll probably have to walk 5 days on the same stage ending in Santiago to achieve the 100km required (you can take rest days, but can't take transport along the 100km). The Compostela will be written out in your name, but you could get it dedicated to your son. See this thread. frequently-asked-questions/topic6838.html

2) Is it important to you to walk the Camino Frances? Other routes may be worth considering. They will be quieter and you might meet fewer people, but could be more contemplative. I'm thinking, for example of the Camino Ingles (approx 5 days Ferrol-Santiago and over 100kms), and the Camino Finisterre (approx 4 days Santiago-Finisterre). Other people could advise on routes such as the Portuguese. The advantage of doing it this way is that you may spend less time travelling between points by bus and may be able to fly both into and out of Santiago at the start/end.

3) Do you think you'll ever go back to do other sections? If not, maybe consider the types of landscape and experience that will help your contemplation. Mountains or plains? Lots of company or just a bit? You'll lose the friends you've made each time you move on, so if forming friendships is important, bear that in mind.

These are just a few ideas, and I'm sure you'll get many others. As always an element of 'go with the flow' will serve you well. If your plans go by the wayside after day one you're having a good Camino! :D

Best of luck, and keep us posted! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While I'm walking I think of my student Amy. She had cystic fibrosis, diabetes, arthritis and a ling transplant in Year 12, but went on to pass 3 A levels and her driving test and begin university to study History. Sadly she collapsed after a couple of weeks and died age 18. I'm 67 and as I struggle along with my blisters it puts everything into perspective somehow. Life is precious and we should try to make the most of it. Hope you have an uplifting and healing time on the Camino, wherever you start!

pauladpm said:
Hi all,
to have time for peace, contemplation and connection with each other and others on the journey.
Paula (San Francisco)

I think this is more easily obtainable if one walks consecutively rather than interrupted by transporting one selves from one stage to next...

part of the Camino, I think, is the rhythm of the thing and of repeating the motions every day with the same people for a number of days.

Also it may take a few days getting into things and people and the rhythm so my suggestion would be to do one stretch, any stretch really, but just one....

We recently completed the Camino Portugese from Porto to Santiago in 10 days. It was a beautiful route with nice alberques along the way. We met many wonderful people on out journey but it didnt feel crowded at all.
best wishes
Paula

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks all,

Really helpful suggestions. I'll check out all the stages and alternatives you proposed and will let you know what we decide. I also approve of the thought that we may well jettison our preconceived plan after day one and go with the flow. Thanks so much. (Particularly to you, Sue, for your kind message).

Any other ideas, bring them on!

Paula

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I have not yet walked it, but in my research it has been confirmed over and over that del Salvador from Leon to Oviedo is beautiful and remote - would that be conducive to healing for you? Of course you would not require 11 days to do that route, but when you got to Oviedo there are many directions you could choose to go.

Do let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I wish you peace.

Difficult one

Personally, I really enjoyed the bit from St Jean Pied du Port - a really rough start but incredibly rewarding. Doing 9 days out from here would get you to roughly Belorado. Quite a mix of terrains

Other than that, I'd probably say last few days into Snaitago, but continue on to Finisterre

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The dates you will be walking are high-peak in terms of the amount of Pilgrims on the Camino- French Route. While this fact is a plus for many seeking friendships and camarederie, I gather that, given your expectations, this would be a minus. I suggest you consider a less crowded route-- Paula suggested the Camino Portugese; also consider the Camino Aragones.

Another suggestion is why not take a cue from your son?; think of a sight, place, monument you think your son would had love to visit/see and make that part of your selected route. If he loved the ocean maybe el Camino Del Norte would really honor who he was by you bearing witness to something he loved.

Lastly, my thoughts are with you. May this endeavor you are about to undertake honor your Son's memory and bring peace and blessings to your heart.

The Camino Primitivo,as another alternative suggestion, may give you the peace and time for contemplation that you need.
Depending on how far you want to walk each day you could choose your start point from anywhere east of Lugo as far as Fonsagrada (for easy access to the start by bus from Santiago/Coruna). There is a bus down from Fonsagrada to Lugo just after lunch if you need to miss a section (eg around Lastres).
Lugo to Santiago is 101 kms so would qualify for the Compostela. You join the Francés at Palas de Rei or Melide depending on which way you walk from Casa de Ponti (casa rural at Roman bridge).
The Primitivo has a deep sense of the spiritual (IMHO) with many little wayside chapels and shrines from the days when it was the main Way to Santiago. There are both albergues and private rooms which can make planning personal stages easier. The Cicerone guide and the CSJ guide combined would be good for this.
If this route interests you see our Primitivo blog for 2012 or feel free to PM us.
Every blessing on your Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back