• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice to plan stages at Camino Portuguese Coastal

yuliamelnykw

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi! My name is Yulia, I'm planning my solo Camino from Porto on the 9th of September. This is my first Camino and I would be happy if you could share some pieces of advice. I am arriving in Porto on the 9th in the evening and have a flight back to Manchester from Porto at the 24th of Sep. I had never done such a big walk before so I struggled to understand how much I could walk every day (I am in good health condition and train every day but still!) and how could I plan each day/stage, do I need to plan it? not sure. Maybe someone could share their experience. I am wondering if I need to book any albergues as I read September is high season so all could be booked.
I also wonedring if I need to stay at Santiago for a night or can get all stamps same day of arrival? (found so many confusing posts)
Also maybe some recommendations about staying in Porto? I never been to Portugal and thinking of staying for a couple of days prior to my camino but not sure If I would have time , especially with a fact that I will need to travel back to porto at the end.

I want to start coastal but then go to central route after Vigo, how do you think if this a good plan?

I would appreciate so much any help!

Thanks
Yulia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am also confused if I need any trekking poles, I bought two but now thinking that I wont use them, I never walked with poles but I think it could support my weak knees
Did anyone walk with poles from Porto?

We walked from Porto with hiking poles and it helped a lot, especially with my bad knees. Get some strong Voltaren (3.23% at a pharmacy) and re-apply every few hours. Be sure to stretch often, too. Be sure to cosult with your doctor first about application, if at all.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get some strong Voltaren (3.23% at a pharmacy) and re-apply every few hours. Be sure to stretch often, too.

Please do not give medical advice on the forum. There are many people who should not use NSAIDs of any kind, and it's irresponsible to give out blanket advice about any kind of medication.
So true @trecile. This is a strong NSAID. (I worked in the medical field and know alot about NSAIDS) they can be excellent over the counter remedies but if you take them longer than a few days you should consult your doctor especially if you are using a blood thinner like warfarin or at risk for an ulcer. When a person gives medical advice that is not the person's doctor the person advising has no idea whatsoever what risk factors, pre existing conditions, possible drug interactions etc etc etc the advisee may have.
For example the package insert for Voltarin 3.23% states that Voltarin should only be applied 2x a day and that is for patients 18-65, and should not be used for more than 7 days. A person that is over 65 should consult a physician. . A person over 65 has a greater chance that they will be on a blood thinner or may be at higher risk for a GI bleed. Extended NSAID use without a prophylaxis like a Proton Pump Inhibitor (and a PPI may not be the correct protective, for example, is taking calcium supplements because of bone loss), raises the risk of bleeds which can be asymptomatic and deadly. This is not advice these are facts. So please no advice no matter how well meaning and if there is pain talk to your physician.
P.S. The OP stated she had weak knees. Her issues may have nothing to do with inflammation. It may be structural or who knows what.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Let me try and unpack some of your questions:
I am arriving in Porto on the 9th in the evening and have a flight back to Manchester from Porto at the 24th of Sep.
Do you need to get to Porto on 24 Sep to catch an early flight, or will you be able to catch an bus from Santiago to Porto and arrive in time to catch your flight? One way or another, you will need factor the trip into your schedule.
how much I could walk every day (I am in good health condition and train every day but still!) and how could I plan each day/stage, do I need to plan it?
I recommend having an outline plan, but without a fundamental like how many km you reasonably walk each day that might be difficult. The outline can work a couple of ways. If you know what maximum distance you want to walk, you can then work out how many days you need. Or if you already have a time limit, you can work out how far you need to walk each day.

You indicate that you have 14 clear days, 10-23 Sep. If you spend a couple of days in Porto at the start, and need a day in SDC at the end, that is 11 days to walk. The Littoral is about 270 km, suggesting you need to walk an average of just under 25 km each day. To achieve that, you might contemplate having to walk some days of 30 km or maybe even greater distances. If you don't know yet how far you can walk, even the shorter days might be too far.

Even if you forego the days in Porto, you have 13 days, your average will need to be 21km/day, and you might expect to have to walk some days of around 25 km. Can you do that?

so all could be booked.
They could, unless you need to rely on a Xunta or other albergue that doesn't take bookings. It was convenient for me to stay at O Pino when I walked in 2022. It didn't fill up, but that is no guarantee, and arriving as early as practicable often means taking a short day, something you mightn't have the luxury to plan for.
I also wondering if I need to stay at Santiago for a night or can get all stamps same day of arrival? (found so many confusing posts)
The current process has been considerably improved, and the waiting times of an hour or more are no longer being reported on this forum. I don't try and push my last day, and have taken to arriving mid-afternoon, and had ample time to get my Compostela on the day I arrive. Older posts from before the current system was put in place would express greater caution here, and rightly so. Look for more recent information, basically from members who have experience this year, not anyone whose experience is earlier than that. There were still long queues when I walked in 2022 that were completely gone this year.
Also maybe some recommendations about staying in Porto? I never been to Portugal and thinking of staying for a couple of days prior to my camino but not sure If I would have time , especially with a fact that I will need to travel back to porto at the end.
I would put my priority into walking, and if you then have time, consider any sight-seeing after that.
I want to start coastal but then go to central route after Vigo, how do you think if this a good plan?
There are other ways of joining the Central route, but if you walk to Vigo on the Coastal/Littoral, you really only have one choice from Vigo, and that is to walk to Redondela.

ps the questions are rhetorical. You need the answers so you can do your planning. Having said that, some members might share a walking schedule they did that achieved this in the time you have available. However, given you don't know how far you can walk, my thinking would be to start with shorter distances and push those out as you get some experience with what you can achieve. This would mitigate against booking accommodation any earlier than a night or two beforehand as you better understand your walking ability.

>> I struggled to understand how much I could walk every day

Don't overdo the first few days on the camino, start slow and finish strong.

Do some back to back training walks at home with your planned camino gear (especially pack and shoes/boots).

Work out your own preferred walking/resting pattern - e.g. 5 minutes rest every hour or perhaps longer rest less often at a cafe? What works for you. Remember that on the camino you have 6 or 7 hours of walking so even a 'slow' pace covers a surprising amount of distance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! My name is Yulia, I'm planning my solo Camino from Porto on the 9th of September. This is my first Camino and I would be happy if you could share some pieces of advice. I am arriving in Porto on the 9th in the evening and have a flight back to Manchester from Porto at the 24th of Sep. I had never done such a big walk before so I struggled to understand how much I could walk every day (I am in good health condition and train every day but still!) and how could I plan each day/stage, do I need to plan it? not sure. Maybe someone could share their experience. I am wondering if I need to book any albergues as I read September is high season so all could be booked.
I also wonedring if I need to stay at Santiago for a night or can get all stamps same day of arrival? (found so many confusing posts)

I would appreciate so much any help!

Thanks
Yulia
Hi , I am am walking with my niece and we arrive in Porto on the 8th and start walking on the 9th and a leave Santiago on the 23rd . I have a route plan for each day averaging 23km. A day .. if you would like me to email you the route plan let me know . This is my 7th Camino
Cheers Denise

Hi , I am am walking with my niece and we arrive in Porto on the 8th and start walking on the 9th and a leave Santiago on the 23rd . I have a route plan for each day averaging 23km. A day .. if you would like me to email you the route plan let me know . This is my 7th Camino
Cheers Denise
Hi Denise, thanks for your reply! It would be fabulous! Can you please email it to me: It would be so helpful! Maybe you could recommend any maps or apps I could use on my way? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Denise, thanks for your reply! It would be fabulous! Can you please email it to me: It would be so helpful! Maybe you could recommend any maps or apps I could use on my way? Thanks!
I’ve removed @yuliamelnykw’s personal email from the above post. Ivar likes to keep the forum free from personal email addresses, for purposes of fighting spam.

.. if you would like me to email you the route plan let me know .

I have told @yuliamelnykw that a PM is the best way to go with sharing emails, but I would also suggest to @Denisealldridge that you can be sure there are more than a few forum members who would love to see your itinerary. So the easiest thing would be to post it on the forum, if you are so inclined!

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Let me try and unpack some of your questions:

Do you need to get to Porto on 24 Sep to catch an early flight, or will you be able to catch an bus from Santiago to Porto and arrive in time to catch your flight? One way or another, you will need factor the trip into your schedule.

I recommend having an outline plan, but without a fundamental like how many km you reasonably walk each day that might be difficult. The outline can work a couple of ways. If you know what maximum distance you want to walk, you can then work out how many days you need. Or if you already have a time limit, you can work out how far you need to walk each day.

You indicate that you have 14 clear days, 10-23 Sep. If you spend a couple of days in Porto at the start, and need a day in SDC at the end, that is 11 days to walk. The Littoral is about 270 km, suggesting you need to walk an average of just under 25 km each day. To achieve that, you might contemplate having to walk some days of 30 km or maybe even greater distances. If you don't know yet how far you can walk, even the shorter days might be too far.

Even if you forego the days in Porto, you have 13 days, your average will need to be 21km/day, and you might expect to have to walk some days of around 25 km. Can you do that?

They could, unless you need to rely on a Xunta or other albergue that doesn't take bookings. It was convenient for me to stay at O Pino when I walked in 2022. It didn't fill up, but that is no guarantee, and arriving as early as practicable often means taking a short day, something you mightn't have the luxury to plan for.

The current process has been considerably improved, and the waiting times of an hour or more are no longer being reported on this forum. I don't try and push my last day, and have taken to arriving mid-afternoon, and had ample time to get my Compostela on the day I arrive. Older posts from before the current system was put in place would express greater caution here, and rightly so. Look for more recent information, basically from members who have experience this year, not anyone whose experience is earlier than that. There were still long queues when I walked in 2022 that were completely gone this year.

I would put my priority into walking, and if you then have time, consider any sight-seeing after that.

There are other ways of joining the Central route, but if you walk to Vigo on the Coastal/Littoral, you really only have one choice from Vigo, and that is to walk to Redondela.

ps the questions are rhetorical. You need the answers so you can do your planning. Having said that, some members might share a walking schedule they did that achieved this in the time you have available. However, given you don't know how far you can walk, my thinking would be to start with shorter distances and push those out as you get some experience with what you can achieve. This would mitigate against booking accommodation any earlier than a night or two beforehand as you better understand your walking ability.
Hi! So thankful for your reply! I am wondering if you could get any advice on where I should start my coastal path, I want to skip busy/industrial areas. I am thinking of staying 2 nights in Porto and then starting my Camino on Monday 11th. My flight back is at 6 AM at Porto airport and I will travel there on 23rd and want to stay near the airport.
About distance, I think I would be able to walk more than 20 km I think it would be fine for me. Just not too sure if I need poles or not..

Hi! So thankful for your reply! I am wondering if you could get any advice on where I should start my coastal path, I want to skip busy/industrial areas. I am thinking of staying 2 nights in Porto and then starting my Camino on Monday 11th. My flight back is at 6 AM at Porto airport and I will travel there on 23rd and want to stay near the airport.
About distance, I think I would be able to walk more than 20 km I think it would be fine for me. Just not too sure if I need poles or not..
I walked the Central route from Porto, so I don't have personal experience about skipping parts or all of your first day. What I have seen discussed is starting from the airport. You could get there on the metro quite easily. It looks like the Camino route passes within a kilometre or less from the Airport metro station. There are also public transport options to Matosinhos, if you were thinking of the Littoral (rather than the Coastal) and wanted to walk along the coast on that first day. I don't have details, others might help you with that.

I am an advocate of using poles, but the advantages come from using them correctly. Many people don't and end up carrying them or not using them very effectively. It is possible to learn the basics in under an hour, at least enough to get you started. If nothing else, learn how to put the straps under your palm next to the grip and then around and on top of your wrists, and how to adjust them so they fit snugly. Then learn how to push down without gripping the handles.

Last edited:
Sure , you can contact me on my email and I can send you my route .
We can then maybe contact each other by WhatsApp if you like . I live in Vancouver Canada .
Cheers
Denise

Note from the mods: Edited to remove personal email. Click on the envelope in the top right and start a PM. You can exchange personal email info there.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve removed @yuliamelnykw’s personal email from the above post. Ivar likes to keep the forum free from personal email addresses, for purposes of fighting spam.

I have told @yuliamelnykw that a PM is the best way to go with sharing emails, but I would also suggest to @Denisealldridge that you can be sure there are more than a few forum members who would love to see your itinerary. So the easiest thing would be to post it on the forum, if you are so inclined!

Buen camino, Laurie
Oh sure sorry .. I understand

Cheers Denise
I will be starting in Tui on the 23rd.
And I have to be in Porto on the 29th.
I would love to see you information and check it against what I have planned. Also I have been looking for a private room and bath not to expensive to stay in valenca or tui the first night. We will have a very long day, coming from the states to Porto and bus to tui and will need a goodnights rest. I have looked on booking.com and almost all say not available on your dates… any help or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

I have looked on booking.com and almost all say not available on your dates
Booking.com is not the only way to make a reservation and they do not have access to all the rooms. If they don't have availability then you should contact the accommodation directly. Good sources of contact information for accommodations along the Camino routes include Gronze.com, various Camino apps and guides.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be starting in Tui on the 23rd.
And I have to be in Porto on the 29th.
I would love to see you information and check it against what I have planned. Also I have been looking for a private room and bath not to expensive to stay in valenca or tui the first night. We will have a very long day, coming from the states to Porto and bus to tui and will need a goodnights rest. I have looked on booking.com and almost all say not available on your dates… any help or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.
Hi , here is what I am doing . As I have done the Portugese central route twice before I am not walking Porto to Villa de Conde . It is all board walk and I don’t want to do that again so we are going to get the train there and start walking from there . So you would add the extra day to walk to there .
I also use the Camino app , you have to buy it but I found it useful . I have both , one the Frances one and the Portugese one, it is called wise pilgrim . People add comments all the time on it and up to date as well . They will say if coffee shops are closed and you are then prepared . Also , I fell and broke my arm 6 weeks ago , just out of cast . So my arm is not working well at all yet . This is going to be a challenging walk for sure .
As we are walking the coastal , we do not go to Tui.
Take a look at my itinerary and see what you think. Cheers Denise

Camino coastal

September 7th: Fly to London

September 8th: Fly to Porto

Sept. 9th: Wake up and train to Vila Do Conde then walk to Esposende 21 klm

Sept 10: Esposende to Viana do Castelo 21 klm

Sept 11th: Viana do Castelo to Ancora 18.6klm

Sept 12: Ancora to Camina 11.5 km

Sept 13: Camina to Mougas 23 Klm

Sept 14: Mougas to A Ramallosa 16. Klm

Sept 15: A Ramallosa to Vigo 21 Klm

Sept 16: Vigo to Redondela 16 klm

Sept 17: Redondela to Pontevedra 20 Klm

Sept 18: Pontevedra tp Caldas de Reis 22 klm

Sept 19: Caldas de Reis to Padron 19 klm

Sept 20: Padron to Santiago 25klm

Sept 21 : day in Santiago

Sept 22: fly to london

Sept 23 : Fly to Canada and USA

Quote Repl

I walked the Central route from Porto, so I don't have personal experience about skipping parts or all of your first day. What I have seen discussed is starting from the airport. You could get there on the metro quite easily. It looks like the Camino route passes within a kilometre or less from the Airport metro station. There are also public transport options to Matosinhos, if you were thinking of the Littoral (rather than the Coastal) and wanted to walk along the coast on that first day. I don't have details, others might help you with that.

I am an advocate of using poles, but the advantages come from using them correctly. Many people don't and end up carrying them or not using them very effectively. It is possible to learn the basics in under an hour, at least enough to get you started. If nothing else, learn how to put the straps under your palm next to the grip and then around and on top of your wrists, and how to adjust them so they fit snugly. Then learn how to push down without gripping the handles.
Hi thank you for your reply. Can I please ask you if could advise on raincoats for September Camino from Porto. I am wondering if I need a proper jacket and waterproof pants or I can just get a poncho? Can you please advise? Don't want to get too heavy and dont even know if this needed in warm weather? Would be very helpful to hear any recommndations!
Thanks

Hi thank you for your reply. Can I please ask you if could advise on raincoats for September Camino from Porto. I am wondering if I need a proper jacket and waterproof pants or I can just get a poncho? Can you please advise? Don't want to get too heavy and dont even know if this needed in warm weather? Would be very helpful to hear any recommndations!
Thanks
A good place to test your view about whether to take a rain jacket are the Spanish AEMET Climate pages. Here is the link to the standard conditions for Vigo. You could expect it to rain about one day in four, and for there to be a bit over 12 mm of rain when it does during September. You can expect the number of rainy days to increase slightly as you go north towards SDC. The maximum recorded number of rainy days in Vigo in September is 19, about two out of every three.

I always carry a rain jacket and rain trousers. Lighter ones in summer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks
As I have walked now 7 times , my pack is 14 lbs . I have kept it as light as possible . I have learnt my lesson .
I no longer take waterproof pants , not necessarily . It is so warm and you sweat so much they are so uncomfortable . I do take a raincoat which does the trick . I do not even take sleeping bags any more . Just a silk liner , which I have found adequate. You may get a little rain , but not too much . If you are just doing the Portugese it is such a short walk and you will have no problem .

You will love it .
Denise

As I have walked now 7 times , my pack is 14 lbs . I have kept it as light as possible . I have learnt my lesson .
I no longer take waterproof pants , not necessarily . It is so warm and you sweat so much they are so uncomfortable . I do take a raincoat which does the trick . I do not even take sleeping bags any more . Just a silk liner , which I have found adequate. You may get a little rain , but not too much . If you are just doing the Portugese it is such a short walk and you will have no problem .

You will love it .
Denise
Hi Denise
Thank you so much that’s very helpful
Are you taking any windproof light jacket or fleece is enough for a warm layer? Thanks!

Hi Denise
Thank you so much that’s very helpful
Are you taking any windproof light jacket or fleece is enough for a warm layer? Thanks!
Yes a merino sweater , evenings get chilly sitting out on patios .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cheers Denise
Hi Denise, would you be willing to share your route plane with two ladies doing this walk for a 50th birthday?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back