A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

After Medellín -- through Yelbes or Santa Amalia?

That was the question for me a couple of weeks ago. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/help-with-medellin-to-merida.55082/ If you look at the association guide, you will see the choice.
Screenshot 2018-05-18 09.21.14.png

I learned that nearly everyone goes through Yelbes now, as I did. I had GPS tracks as I was walking alone, and my tracks followed the southern route through Yelbes. Leaving Yelbes, I was very glad to have the tracks because it is not well marked.

What I soon learned, though, was that whether you take the southern loop or the northern loop, you will wind up crossing the river on the bridge right at the point where the two alternatives merge. And then you will have a horrendous few kms on the side of an extremely busy national highway. I can't decide which was worse, the 3 kms from Cáceres to Casar de Cáceres or this stretch, but I am pretty sure this walk on the shoulder of the N-430 wins. Soon after Torrefresnada, the route goes off road, but those few kms are awful.

I know that Erik and a few forum members forged their own way straight west from Yelbes to the river. This wikiloc track did just that:

Screenshot 2018-05-18 09.27.08.png

You can find the track at https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/etapa-18-medellin-merida-camino-mozarabe-9878755

The guy who posted this track says he was lucky to find a tractor to take him across the river, but that the river crossing could be very dicey. And if you can't cross the river, it's another 12 km back to take the bridge over.

This is what Erik said about it: There is a track, complete with occasional old markers, from Yelbes to San Pedro de Mérida which crosses the vast agricultural lands of the area and which parallels much of the engineering work that provides millions of litres of irrigation water to the rice, maize and tomatoes which dominate the fields. Crossing depends on river levels because fording the Búrdalo can only be achieved when they are low (which they were). Finding the ford was easy, crossing was not, as I elected in such shallow, calf-deep water to go barefoot.

So I guess the point of this post, other than that it serves as a diversion for a jet-lagged post-camino peregrina is that it seems that it would be a real risk to walk straight west to the river and then find it was impassable. Erik was lucky, but I guess I would recommend staying with the bridge crossing, whether you choose to go through Santa Amalia or Yelbes. But I would love to hear other opinions.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. To any of the other members of the Mozárabe mob, if you are not still walking, tell me what you did!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Inglés, Portugués (2014) Norte, Primitivo (2015) Vía de la Plata (2017) Mozárabe (2018)
Hi, I got completely lost after I followed a Camino sign which indicated a hard left just before the entrance to Santa Amalia. This track went past some agricultural buildings and then out among the fields. I seemed to be stuck in a wedge of land between Yelbes and the N-430. The arrows disappeared out there, although on some of the wells (?) you could see old arrows that had been painted over.

Somehow I ended up bypassing Santa Amalia entirely and had to use maps.me to get myself onto the N-430. So I ended up walking about 5km along the road into Torresfresnada which was quite busy even on a Sunday!

The peregrina who left before me that morning told me later that day that she ignored that sign and walked straight into Santa Amalia and picked up the arrows from the other side of the village.

So, if you decide to go to San Pedro de Mérida via Santa Amalia, maybe ignore any Camino sign pointing left BEFORE entering Santa Amalia. : )

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Wow, I did the stage through Yelbes today. The things I could tell you...!

Just wait until I get there in my Moz report!!

BP

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Oh, the suspense, the suspense. And you are only in Córdoba in your reporting. :(

And at some point you will also have to let us know whether you are going to the Invierno or not. Too many mysteries, BP!
I begin the Invierno tomorrow, actually! :0D

I am about to call the Hostal Torres in Puente Domingo for my first stop!

I have decided to do it 9 stages : I know it is possible, as I managed to do so I in 2015. I will arrive in Santiago the 27, a strange date... A few days after the big Fiesta! So I will miss the big party...

I bring the Forum guide and will do my best to give updates, if necessary!

BP

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
... I will arrive in Santiago the 27, a strange date... A few days after the big Fiesta!...
There is a fiesta going on from THE DATE for a week. I remember closing of Fiesta in 2015 was a huge almost half an hour fireworks. Staircase in front of the entrance to Seminario Menor was a good place to watch it. I think you can catch some of the Fiesta feeling even after 27th.

Buen Camino Invierno!

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: See post signature.
Upcoming: Nothing planned
Wow, I did the stage through Yelbes today. The things I could tell you...!

Just wait until I get there in my Moz report!!

BP
A short version for a peregrina coming there in 3 days? So I know if I should do Santa Amalia or Yelbes.

Camino(s) past & future
CF -15, VdlP -15, Sanabres-16. CP -17, Primitivo-17, Mozarabe-18, Norte-18
We did the Santa Amalia option and stayed there at a new hostel just alongside the plaza. Don’t remember the name, as I’m on camino now without my notes regaring Mozarabe

BP, where are you when we need you?

You can still go through Yelbes without doing the river crossing. The arrows will take you to a point where you meet up with the Santa Amalia option as you cross the river on the bridge. Either way you then walk what can only be described as kms from hell. Very busy, very dangerous.

I am surprised to hear that @Oppis went through Santa Amalia, since the woman in the tourist office in Medellín told me “everyone” now goes through Yelbes. The decision about the river crossing comes in Yelbes. Good luck Beatrice.

Camino(s) past & future
BP, where are you when we need you?

You can still go through Yelbes without doing the river crossing. The arrows will take you to a point where you meet up with the Santa Amalia option as you cross the river on the bridge. Either way you then walk what can only be described as kms from hell. Very busy, very dangerous.

I am surprised to hear that @Oppis went through Santa Amalia, since the woman in the tourist office in Medellín told me “everyone” now goes through Yelbes. The decision about the river crossing comes in Yelbes. Good luck Beatrice.
I have the GPS track for SA not Yelbes :)

Camino(s) past & future
As I did a 54 km stage today I might option for Santa Amalia as my place to sleep tomorrow. Or my feet are way to tired and want to stop in Medellín.

As I did a 54 km stage today I might option for Santa Amalia as my place to sleep tomorrow. Or my feet are way to tired and want to stop in Medellín.
I have the GPS track for SA not Yelbes :)
Hi, Beatrice,
On the Yelbes thread, I posted some alternative tracks that would take you through Yelbes and at least cut down on the highway walking. You also have an alternative to stop in San Pedro de Mérida after Medellín, if you don’t go through Santa Amalia, though it was not my favorite pueblo on this camino. I didn’t go through Santa Amalia, so I don’t know what it’s like, but others have said it is ok. Good luck and buen camino, Laurie

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%