• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aghhhh!! My water proof boots aren't

Andrew

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Only my second hike in wet conditions and the minor dampness i felt the first time ( i put down to sweat)
i can now confirm is from water. both feet soaked by the time i got back to the car after 3 hrs in steady drizzel.

with only 4 weeks and three days to go this is very worrying as i now feel i need new bots with limited time to break them in and a uk size 15 makes it limited choices

have contacted manufacturer but i feel this may drag and reduce time to break in a new pair

very frustrated this morning and its a bank holiday to boot( agh what a pun not good)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Only my second hike in wet conditions and the minor dampness i felt the first time ( i put down to sweat)
i can now confirm is from water. both feet soaked by the time i got back to the car after 3 hrs in steady drizzel.

with only 4 weeks and three days to go this is very worrying as i now feel i need new bots with limited time to break them in and a uk size 15 makes it limited choices

You're leaving in June? Why would you want water proof boots? You'll just end up with a sauna for your feet.

but it does rain in spain...... and wet feet are a great cause of blistering ???

so i want dry feet with breathability do i not ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
have ordered NIKWAX Footwear Cleaning Gel & SPRAY ON Fabric&Leather waterproofer SET

I agree with NicoZ - no need for waterproof. You won't get blisters if you treat your feet each morning with a barrier cream, and use liner socks under lightweight socks. I've just returned from three weeks in the French hills using this system, wading through streams and letting my shoes/socks dry on my feet as I walked. It worked better on warmer days, but I even did it on a rainy day with temperatures near freezing - and it was still fine (though you'll want to keep moving if your feet are wet and cold!). In June you should be fine most days

Last edited by a moderator:
but it does rain in spain...... and wet feet are a great cause of blistering ???

so i want dry feet with breathability do i not ?

Dude, you're talking about June, not May!

June in the Iberian Peninsula marks the beginning of high summer temperatures. No need for waterproof boots.

NIKWAX it's good to rehabilitate the waterproof membrane, and I advise people to use on their boots, shoes, waterproof jackets and pants, etc, before they go for the Camiño. This, considering that they are going in Spring, Autumn or Winter.

Take some good breathable boots; they are the best thing that you can take for a Summer Camiño.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd be taking lightweight breathable joggers or shoes.

Let me just say that when it rains torrentially on the Camino there are NO waterproof shoes. I wore Merrell high tops, waterproof. A torrential rainstorm caught me at Villatuerta and my boots were soaked in & out. That said, that night a powerful hair dryer actually helped me dry them really well, so no biggie at the end. Take another pair of walking shoes, even if just for sporadic use. BTW, waterproof does not necessarily mean your feet won't breath-- love my Merrell and feet were fine!

Let me just say that when it rains torrentially on the Camino there are NO waterproof shoes. I wore Merrell high tops, waterproof. A torrential rainstorm caught me at Villatuerta and my boots were soaked in & out. That said, that night a powerful hair dryer actually helped me dry them really well, so no biggie at the end. Take another pair of walking shoes, even if just for sporadic use. BTW, waterproof does not necessarily mean your feet won't breath-- love my Merrell and feet were fine!

Olivares, for how many time, did you had your Merrell's whe that happened?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What kind of footwear would you use for Coamino on June ?
Links pls. !

There is a choice to be made; "waterproof" shoes or boots that may cause feet to sweat and are hard to dry, or breathable shoes that will allow water in but walk dry. Your feet are likely to get wet either way. Probably the most important thing is to have a change of shoes at night and spare dry socks.

Olivares, for how many time, did you had your Merrell's whe that happened?
I bought my Merrells on early 2011. I have walked long sections of the Camino on May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, and I am getting ready to walk in June 2014. Same boots; same Merrells. I have never stepped on the Camino with any other pair of shoes. I walked under the rain for about 10 minutes by the time the torrential rain has slipped down my legs to my shoes. That said, I walked days under misty rain and my waterproof Merell boots served me well; feet remained dry as a bone. Just calibrate your expectations. I hear this Summer will be another scorcher; expect the best but prepare for the worst.

Besides your mental attitude, shoes are the most important component of the your pilgrimage. Be very clear that there are NOT one type, NOT one brand that works for everybody. You need to gage what works for you and the only way to know for sure is trying out.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What kind of footwear would you use for Coamino on June ?
Links pls. !
We are leaving SJ next Wed and we had a whole debate on line about what to wear and we had thought about Keen sandals I had my doubts, but about a month ago we bought them and honestly they are marvellous They are light I have not had one stone inside and I could walk forever in them. On our last Frances three years ago we wore boots and Kanga, as is usual, is quite right our one problem was that our boots took four days to dry out shorts boots and rain do not work your boots fill up from the inside. Weather at this time varies from too warm to too wet so nothing is perfect If anyone is interested I will report in six weeks time how the Keens worked out.

Dude, you're talking about June, not May!

June in the Iberian Peninsula marks the beginning of high summer temperatures. No need for waterproof boots.

NIKWAX it's good to rehabilitate the waterproof membrane, and I advise people to use on their boots, shoes, waterproof jackets and pants, etc, before they go for the Camiño. This, considering that they are going in Spring, Autumn or Winter.

Take some good breathable boots; they are the best thing that you can take for a Summer Camiño.

boots are breathable type just thought that they should be waterproof too!

I'd be taking lightweight breathable joggers or shoes.

yeah kanga that's plan B my trusty reebok runners their insole will also add to the comfort of my boot through the day.

POINT TAKEN ALL.

Thanks Panic over

31 sleeps

No such thing as "waterproof" if it pouring down rain on you. Your feet will get wet no matter what. Best thing to do is have a pair of dry socks handy to put on when the rain stops and put your boots out to dry later. The downside of the heavier, leather type boots is that they take a long time to dry after they are soaked. The lighter, synthetic shoes or boots dry quick and will even dry on your feet as you walk in the sun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since there are no truly waterproof boots (except those made of rubber and used for hunting waterfowl), the important thing is to dry them at night after they get wet. There are various commercial hot air boot dryers, and in a pinch a hair dryer will do if you watch how long you let it run. You can also place the boots near a radiator or heating vent, but don't put them too close, especially if the uppers are leather or incorporate leather because the leather will dry out and stiffen. The easiest solution otherwise is to remove the insoles and stuff wadded-up newspaper into the boots. The paper will absorb the moisture overnight -- at least a good percentage of it. And as someone else mentioned above, be sure to treat your feet with Vasoline, BodyGlide, or a similar product and use a wicking liner under your socks. And don't forget to put your insoles back in in the morning.

You need shoes that breathe... And the "myth" of breaking in boots is erroneous. If they are not comfortable out of the box then it's the wrong shoe or boot for you. If you are not allergic to wool, wear thin wool socks (1 pair). They breathe, dry easily and don't stink as bad. Put your sox on your body in your bed at night they will dry while you sleep.
And the number 1 prevention of blisters is hydration, hydration, hydration.... Did I mention hydration? Number 2 is treat hotspots before they become blisters. Don't be like the guy I read about who walked 30 K on bloody, blistered feet. That's an infection waiting to happen.
Most importantly, have fun.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've bought many, many "waterproof" boots, only to be disappointed once again to discover such a thing does not exist. So why I continue to buy them is a question to be pondered on the psychiatrist's couch. Most so-called boots will resist mist-like rain, but none remains waterproof under an extended heavy rain. The myth of the waterproof boot extends up into the upper echelons -- I had an REI salesperson telling me recently that my feet get wet from heavy perspiration, not from rain. If that were the case, why would my feet decide to start sweating only when the rain comes down? On the Camino, where my lack of faith in my waterproof boots was once again confirmed, I found that I could get them fairly dry over night by stuffing newspaper in them and changing the newspaper three or four times. I am somewhat leery of drying a boot out by a radiator -- I've also had problems with delamination. There is always the possibility that I simply have an extremely literalist case of the famous Samuel Beckett quote, "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet!"

I bought my Merrells on early 2011. I have walked long sections of the Camino on May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, and I am getting ready to walk in June 2014. Same boots; same Merrells. I have never stepped on the Camino with any other pair of shoes. I walked under the rain for about 10 minutes by the time the torrential rain has slipped down my legs to my shoes. That said, I walked days under misty rain and my waterproof Merell boots served me well; feet remained dry as a bone. Just calibrate your expectations. I hear this Summer will be another scorcher; expect the best but prepare for the worst.

Besides your mental attitude, shoes are the most important component of the your pilgrimage. Be very clear that there are NOT one type, NOT one brand that works for everybody. You need to gage what works for you and the only way to know for sure is trying out.

Buen Camino!

If it was always the same pair, you have your answer in there. With all the movement, and sweat, and impropriate maintenance, the boots lose their waterproof capability fast.

Has someone said there aren’t waterproof boots/shoes. What exist its boots/shoes, with waterproof membranes, that help to prevent humidity to get to the inside part of the shoe/boot, preventing your feet to get soaked wet.

Using hair driers and hand driers to dry your shoes, it’s a mistake, since you are applying some temperatures that usually the material it’s not prepared to face off. It’s preferable to use old newspapers or magazines inside of it, during the night that it will suck the moisture out.

The best thing to do, it’s after a long walk has the Camiño, to give a good treatment to your shoes. Wash them has the instructions from the manufacturer, and after that, depending on what it’s made of, use special wax, gel, or spray to re-waterproof the shoes.

I do this to every pair of boots/shoes that I have, and they last longer than the majority of the times.

boots are breathable type just thought that they should be waterproof too!

Just don't forget, that usually waterproof membranes add some heat inside of the boots/shoes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've bought many, many "waterproof" boots, only to be disappointed once again to discover such a thing does not exist. So why I continue to buy them is a question to be pondered on the psychiatrist's couch. Most so-called boots will resist mist-like rain, but none remains waterproof under an extended heavy rain. The myth of the waterproof boot extends up into the upper echelons -- I had an REI salesperson telling me recently that my feet get wet from heavy perspiration, not from rain. If that were the case, why would my feet decide to start sweating only when the rain comes down? On the Camino, where my lack of faith in my waterproof boots was once again confirmed, I found that I could get them fairly dry over night by stuffing newspaper in them and changing the newspaper three or four times. I am somewhat leery of drying a boot out by a radiator -- I've also had problems with delamination. There is always the possibility that I simply have an extremely literalist case of the famous Samuel Beckett quote, "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet!"

Ahahhaha, tploomis, that was so funny :D

I had an REI salesperson telling me recently that my feet get wet from heavy perspiration, not from rain. If that were the case, why would my feet decide to start sweating only when the rain comes down?
As the exterior humidity rises, or as water accumulates on the outer wall of the membrane, the vapor transport plummets, which results in a sudden rise in retained sweat. As soon as you have liquid instead of vapor inside the shoe, the transport also stops.

If it was always the same pair, you have your answer in there. With all the movement, and sweat, and impropriate maintenance, the boots lose their waterproof capability fast.
Diogo-- I know exactly why my boots got wet and it is very simple; water seeped in the boots from my legs ;). The boots had NEVER been wet prior and they are made of breatahble GORE-TEX material. Again, when it rains TORRENTIALLY on the Camino, there are no waterproof shoes because the water seeps in from all angles. On days of misty rain, not an issue whatsoever.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Diogo-- I know exactly why my boots got wet and it is very simple; water seeped in the boots from my legs ;). The boots had NEVER been wet prior and they are made of breatahble GORE-TEX material. Again, when it rains TORRENTIALLY on the Camino, there are no waterproof shoes because the water seeps in from all angles. On days of misty rain, not an issue whatsoever.

Use gaiters, problem solved :D

I agree with those who advocate lightweight breathable (not waterproof) shoes for the CF in May to October. Low cut cross trainers worked very well for me. However, each pilgrim has his own preferences when it comes to socks and shoes. Wet socks and shoes can cause blisters. And then there's the story of Taki who became infamous on the CF several years ago.
Standing outside the albergue in SJPdP with a group of pilgrims ready to ascend the treacherous Route Napoleon in mid-September, one pilgrim noticed that Taki was wearing flip flops.
"Taki, you are wearing flip flops."
"Yes."
"Taki, you realize this is a 500 mile walk."
"Yes."
"Are you going to walk the entire way in flip flops?"
"Probably."
He did. Later the group discovered that Taki had climbed Kilimanjaro, Denali, and Aconcagua. In flips flops.

I've found that wet feet while hiking aren't that bad. When really wet they make a sucking sound with each step! One thing to consider: heavier boots when wet are really heavy, while lighter boots or hiking shoes when wet are only moderately heavier. Here's a picture showing me walking on a path that has turned into a stream (I'm the guy in front). My waterproof Goretex Salomon trail runners were thoroughly soaked, but I was still having a good time! The picture is also on the Camino Photos thread.
IMG_4147.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've bought many, many "waterproof" boots, only to be disappointed once again to discover such a thing does not exist. So why I continue to buy them is a question to be pondered on the psychiatrist's couch. "

This did make me laugh. Amazing how often I think to myself "you've done it again kiddo!" Good to know I'm not the only slow learner on the forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.