• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues/Hostels

Rombuk

Time of past OR future Camino
May/September 2015
Hello to all.
I am going to attempt the Frances in May 2015. This forum is an amazing source of information and inspiration and I have been reading it avidly.
Before I set off I would like to have reasonably well settled where I am going to stay each night. I appreciate that to purists that may not entirely follow the Spirit of the Way but I prefer to have some sort of plan in my mind, which can always be adapted to circumstances.
Taking the Brierley guide as a roadmap which Abergues/Hostels would anyone recommend in each stop over.
Allow say +/- 5km from the days travel in case I struggle or feel fit enough to go that extra mile.
Your opinions would be much welcomed

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rombuk, I really do think that you will have to let this plan go! The nature of the Camino is that you have to take each day as it comes, it isn't an organised hike, it is something else ... you will find that the desire for certainty that you are looking for is the opposite of the pilgrimage experience ....

book your first refugio and step out into the unknown - all will be well.

buen Camino

Rombuk,

Welcome to the Forum!

As David notes there is no certainty on the camino and it is good to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad; every day is a juggle of topography and weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. Nevertheless the joys of happenstance and serendipity are ever present as you experience new sights, new strengths, new friends, and new conversations. What a brew!!

Most of us do set out each day with at least an idea of the location where we might stop. Be sure to scan this earlier thread regarding what other pilgrims found to be memorable albergues along the camino frances for some further tips.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!
The recommended stages in the Brierley book are exactly that, recommendations. May is a pretty busy time, give the Camino a week on the ground before making too many plans, grow accustomed to the routine, adjust and readjust your backpack and your boot laces to get them all right, learn the ropes and see how you yourself can make it work. You personally may find the stages too long or too short; you may fall in with a new companion(s) who quickly finish and do more, or with a slower walker and you walk less; you may find yourself, God Forfend, ill or injured unable to go on and spend two nights in the same albergue, you may not like a particular albergue or arrive knackered while all the albergues are "completo" not a bed to be found, and find yourself that one evening -gasp- in a hotel; the options are endless. Trust in yourself, trust in your fellow pilgrims, trust in Saint James, you will soon find yourself in Santiago hugging the Saint. Around 250,000 people successfully finished last year, you can most certainly do it too. This is a challenge, an experience for which you will form the meaning, something spiritual perhaps but above all, something to enjoy and cherish. Buen Camino

Hello to all.
I am going to attempt the Frances in May 2015. This forum is an amazing source of information and inspiration and I have been reading it avidly.
Before I set off I would like to have reasonably well settled where I am going to stay each night. I appreciate that to purists that may not entirely follow the Spirit of the Way but I prefer to have some sort of plan in my mind, which can always be adapted to circumstances.
Taking the Brierley guide as a roadmap which Abergues/Hostels would anyone recommend in each stop over.
Allow say +/- 5km from the days travel in case I struggle or feel fit enough to go that extra mile.

Hi Rombuk,
I too am fairly new to this forum and do my daily research here (a fun addiction) ;-). The information has been invaluable to me as I am a planner too. The hardest thing for me is to just let it be what it is for me each day... a true lesson for me. That being said I have found a many links that have been very helpful to me in my "planning" that I am using as a guide line for travel to SJPDP, distances between alburges, lists of alburges, equipment answers etc. One is www.CaminoGuide.net which has been useful in putting the journey in perspective for me. I'm learning every day that there is no right way to do The Way. It really is, for me, the journey of a lifetime. I want to be as prepared as much as possible but I want to be open and flexible to each day, each moment and each person I meet along my journey.

Buen Camino!
Rene

Remember that the Camino has something to "say" to you as well. As St. John of the Cross said, "In order to go to what you do not know, you must go by a way you do not know!”

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you! I will remember.... The best part is that even though I am traveling there alone I know I will never be alone.

Oh, I do have a confession to make.... The other night I spent hours putting stops and miles/Km on my iPad calendar then when my eyes finally cross after only entering three weeks! I had to stop myself ask ask the question... What are you thinking? Why do I have this compulsion to have a plan.... it feels so American of me to feel this need to schedule my life. So I left the calendar unfinished with the intention of deleting all the entries today. Now I will head out the door in the rain for my training walk, a much better use of my time. ;-)

My Camino started consciously a year ago on a deserted beach in Baja, Mexico as I scattered the ashes of my partner at sunset. He would be very happy for me....

Thanks again to you wonderful forum people!

Buen Camino to all,
Rene

@Shering

You are so right. There is no right way to do the Camino. You have to "listen" to the Camino and listen very closely. It "talks" to you , thru your body every single day. Don´t ignore it, do what it says because if you don´t you´ll pay the price and that price will be very very dear.

Of the many things to keep in mind while walking your Camino there are 3 which are a "MUST". the are -

1- Drink before you are thirsty.

2- Eat before you are hungry.

3- Rest before you are tired.

There are a lot more things to keep in mind but if you follow these from day one you have a big chance of arriving to Santiago ( in one piece. ;) )

Ondo Ibili !
Perfect!! Thank you MendiWalker......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All

Thanks for all the responses.

There are still a few months to go so I have plenty of time to read, learn and get the body into some semblance of shape.
The trepadition is minimal at the moment but as the time goes by no doubt it will grow........

I have the Forum on Favourites so it will be daily reading!

Once again many thanks

Yeah, just carry a guide book so you know where you are going. Otherwise stay where you want, when you want.
Unless you have a very inflexible time schedule, no use making an itinerary for each day.

This past May I walked from SJPdP to Sahagun, the half-way mark on the Camino Frances. I was then going from Sahagun by train to meet my wife in Barcelona (where she was flying into) at a certain date. I had used the Brierley stages as a loose guide for planning purposes on the camino. I wound up getting way ahead of the Brierley stages and towards the end had to start walking short distances each day (it's really not much fun to stop around 11:00 am) and had to wind up spending an extra day in Sahagun. In short, a plan for where you're going to stay every day has great potential to wind up being a burden.

But that's just me, you may find it to be different for you. But whatever you wind up doing, I hope you have a wonderful experience.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Shering

You are so right. There is no right way to do the Camino. You have to "listen" to the Camino and listen very closely. It "talks" to you , thru your body every single day. Don´t ignore it, do what it says because if you don´t you´ll pay the price and that price will be very very dear.

Of the many things to keep in mind while walking your Camino there are 3 which are a "MUST". the are -

There are a lot more things to keep in mind but if you follow these from day one you have a big chance of arriving to Santiago ( in one piece. ;) )

Ondo Ibili !

Hi Rombuk,
I too am fairly new to this forum and do my daily research here (a fun addiction) ;-). The information has been invaluable to me as I am a planner too. The hardest thing for me is to just let it be what it is for me each day... a true lesson for me. That being said I have found a many links that have been very helpful to me in my "planning" that I am using as a guide line for travel to SJPDP, distances between alburges, lists of alburges, equipment answers etc. One is www.CaminoGuide.net which has been useful in putting the journey in perspective for me. I'm learning every day that there is no right way to do The Way. It really is, for me, the journey of a lifetime. I want to be as prepared as much as possible but I want to be open and flexible to each day, each moment and each person I meet along my journey.
@Shering

Ondo Ibili !

MendiWalker

Thank you for your sound advice.
I notice that you are from or around Bilbao.
I am thinking of starting from Roncenvelles as it is easier for me to fly to Bilb than to Biarritz

What in your opinion would be the best/easiest way to get from the airport to the albergue

@Rombuk

I´m actually American but I do live in Bilbo.

Regarding your question , you have a bus from the airport into town (20 min. ride) that ends at the bus station ( Termibus).
Once there you can catch a bus to Pamplona/Iruña ( 1:30 min. ride)

http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/PDF/Bilbao-Pamplona.pdf

From Pamplona/Iruña there is another bus which takes you up to Roncesvalle/Orreaga ( 1:10 min ride). Now it follows the winter timetable so your have a bus at 6pm daily Mon.- Fri. And Sat. at 4pm. No bus on Sun.

http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles

Ondo Ibili !
Many thanks for that

My Camino started consciously a year ago on a deserted beach in Baja, Mexico as I scattered the ashes of my partner at sunset. He would be very happy for me....

Beautiful words Shering.
Such a thought will surely see you through your Camino.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello to all.
Like many of those you have responded I would say just walk and see where that takes you. Last month I was on el Camino del Norte and because there are fewer albergues and I am a slow walker I booked my spot where I could before leaving. It gave me confidence in finding a bed, but also made me miss good bits of my Camino to reach a bed when I had to stop for a day here and there or was only able to walk 10 km a day due to injury. So I can see both sides of the issue. This being said, to be practical, get your hands on a copy of the pamphlet published by the Red de Albergues. It will give you their phone numbers and you can book with them the night before. This way you are walking at your rythm, while securing a bed 24 hours ahead of time. Worked magic for me last time I was on the Frances. Just need to get yourself a cell with a Spanish phone number.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.