• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aldeanueva del Camino and onwards ......

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Quick questions .....

Having made it to Aldeanueva del Camino from Seville four months ago, I had to stop with painful feet problems. I'm thinking of going back in a week or two now I'm fit to try to finish the walk - plane to Madrid then bus to Aldeanueva del Camino.

a) what are numbers walking like at the moment? It was pretty busy in April / May.
b) the weather forecast looks good for the next few weeks. Can anyone confirm that it is fine at the moment, as those websites aren't always painting an accurate picture.
c) I knew I should have written details when I was there, but I can't remember the name of the bus company that goes from Madrid to Aldeanueva del Camino, or the timetable (2 or 3 busses a day from memory), or the name of the bus station in Madrid (age!). can anyone help?

Thanks

Undermanager

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the weather forecast looks good for the next few weeks. Can anyone confirm that it is fine at the moment, as those websites aren't always painting an accurate picture.

More than a week in advance is difficult to predict (accurately). Today (Sept. 1st) maximum temperatures in Salamanca or Zamora were around 33º Celsius. Similar temperatures are expected for the next days.

I knew I should have written details when I was there, but I can't remember the name of the bus company that goes from Madrid to Aldeanueva del Camino, or the timetable (2 or 3 busses a day from memory), or the name of the bus station in Madrid (age!). can anyone help?

Bus Company: Cevesa (www.cevesa.es) Bus station in Madrid: Estación Sur de Autobuses (next to Méndez Álvaro metro station and train station).

Just wondering, how big were the numbers in April/May? We will be walking at this time next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked this section in May last year. There were usually between 4 and 20 pilgrims at each stage. Nice quiet walking, with company in the evenings. Walkers were predominantly French.

I walked in April and May. Most days there were 10 or 15 people. About 40 started off from Sevilla, but this number quite quickly reduced. Mostly Europeans - German and French. But we Kiwis outnumbered Aussies 3 to 1!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the replies.

It was busy when I set off in April from Seville, a lot busier than I expected and on some occasions, albergues were full and people had to look for alternatives, rushing their daily walks and booking ahead, which I didn't like at all. I gather that this was unusual though as most years aren't like this. I write about the trip from Seville (until my feet gave up on me) day by day here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...pdates-from-the-camino-vdlp-april-2016.39421/

Just read your notes from your Camino in April. Thanks so much for all the details. I think we will definitely take the taxi to the beginning of the park on day 3. Also, will try to work out when we will get to Canaveral and book accommodation there.
I was confused about Riolobus/Galisteo, also about Oliva de Plasencia so thanks to your notes I can work out a route to follow.
What scares me are the 50 pilgrims. On the Norte last year there was hardly anyone. That was in October though.
Sharon

Last edited:
The ticket has been booked! Round two of the VDLP Sanabres route. Let's hope the feet can survive the last 600 km and I can finish this time. Arrive in Madrid next Tuesday at 1.15pm on Norwegian Air. Two quick questions:

a) What's the walk like between Aldeanueva del Camino and Bejar? Is it a road hike or something a little more interesting? I'm trying to decide whether to get the bus to Bejar, or on to Aldeanueva del Camino.

b) Anyone speak Spanish? Am I right in thinking that there is a bus at 16:10 on Tuesdays from Madrid Est Sur bus station to Aldeanueva del Camino, please? I think from memory it passes through Bejar so have options where to get off. The bus company is here: http://www.cevesa.es/

c) If anyone wants to join me, next week, no problem. Send me a message and we can meet up somewhere.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[QUOTE="a) What's the walk like between Aldeanueva del Camino and Bejar? Is it a road hike or something a little more interesting? I'm trying to decide whether to get the bus to Bejar, or on to Aldeanueva del Camino.[/QUOTE]

Hi @Undermanager I walked this stage in Spring last year. I noted in my blog that the first 7km were on the road but the rest of the walk was fabulous and the albergue at Bejar is lovely and cosy with communal dinner, and it is such a quaint village. I am sure you will enjoy this stage and wouldn't want to miss it.

You are welcome to take a look at my post for the day here

Buen Camino!

Thanks. This is helpful. Aldeanueva del Camino it is (as long as a bus goes there from Madrid on Tuesday afternoon ....). Love the blog!!

Last edited:
The ticket has been booked! Round two of the VDLP Sanabres route. Let's hope the feet can survive the last 600 km and I can finish this time. Arrive in Madrid next Tuesday at 1.15pm on Norwegian Air. Two quick questions:

a) What's the walk like between Aldeanueva del Camino and Bejar? Is it a road hike or something a little more interesting? I'm trying to decide whether to get the bus to Bejar, or on to Aldeanueva del Camino.

b) Anyone speak Spanish? Am I right in thinking that there is a bus at 16:10 on Tuesdays from Madrid Est Sur bus station to Aldeanueva del Camino, please? I think from memory it passes through Bejar so have options where to get off. The bus company is here: http://www.cevesa.es/

c) If anyone wants to join me, next week, no problem. Send me a message and we can meet up somewhere.

This confirms Cevesa website indicates 1610 - 1940 Tuesdays (except holidays) Madrid Estacion Sur to Aldeanueva del Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Undermanager - have a great walk! I'm leaving Sevilla on the 21st so we'll be a little way behind you and unlikely to catch you... but I'll read your updates with interest!

The way my feet stop working after a few days, you will certainly catch me up! :(

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Quick questions .....

Having made it to Aldeanueva del Camino from Seville four months ago, I had to stop with painful feet problems. I'm thinking of going back in a week or two now I'm fit to try to finish the walk - plane to Madrid then bus to Aldeanueva del Camino.

a) what are numbers walking like at the moment? It was pretty busy in April / May.
b) the weather forecast looks good for the next few weeks. Can anyone confirm that it is fine at the moment, as those websites aren't always painting an accurate picture.
c) I knew I should have written details when I was there, but I can't remember the name of the bus company that goes from Madrid to Aldeanueva del Camino, or the timetable (2 or 3 busses a day from memory), or the name of the bus station in Madrid (age!). can anyone help?

Thanks

Undermanager

Was there Oct 2015. It was pretty sparse in terms of people along the VdLP. I had daily contact with only 2 or 3 other camigo/as. Made it to Castile y Leon and veered to Bejar to return to the USA. Returning to Calzade de Bejar on the 25th or 26th, depending on how the flight goes.

Interesting. Have been doing my walking sums today and will probably get off the bus at Banos de Montemayor and start from there on Tuesday. I reckon it will take 19 days of walking non-stop via Ourence from Banos, and I've allowed an additional 4 days for a bit of sight-seeing and resting up. I may walk on to Finesterre again if the walk speeds along without delay, there are no hick-ups and the weather is nice, but have just booked a flight to Barcelona from Santiago and a hotel on the 13th Oct for 3 days as I haven't been there before, and will then fly home.

Less than 48 hours to go and we're off .....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Undermanager I averaged 26.5 km per day from Aldeanueva and took 23 days to reach Santiago. I'm sure you could walk faster and longer, but I would think 19 days might be pushing it a bit. However long you take I am sure you will enjoy this beautiful walk.
Buen Camino

Hi under manager.
I walked from Aldeanueva to SdeC in 19 days in April/May this year, be aware that required a number of 30km plus days, and I agree with Maggie the route went through some spectacular countryside.
Regards
George
PS I think it may be possible to "save" a day by going from Zamora direct to Tabara rather than taking the more traditional route through Granja, I think SYates may have posted some info.

Last edited:
Thanks for this info - will certainly check it out. I tend to be a bit lazy with directions and just follow wherever the yellow arrows and my GPS track rout go! I have a total of 23 days before the plane leaves for Barcelona so as long as the feet and weather hold up, should be okay. Less than 24 hours to go .....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
12 hours to go .... In the spirit of adventure, I have booked a car share ride using blablacar for the first time, which in theory should get me from near the airport to Bejar, from where I will try to hitch / taxi / bus to Banos de Montemayor to an albergue. Of course, this could go spectacularly wrong and I'll end up spending the night in Madrid .....

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back