• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative towns to Mougas and Vigo

Brightmore

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello everyone!

My partner and I will be attempting the Camino Portuguese coastal, littoral route, in June/July.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend an alternative town to sleep to Mougas, which looks to be a sleepy fishing village without many services, and Vigo, where we have stayed before. Regarding Vigo, I remember it having glorious stretches of beach before you reach the industrial area and city proper.

Ideally the alternative to Mougas or Vigo would be before those towns, so to not make the next sections very shorty.

Very much looking forward to your thoughts!

Buen camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oia is about 6km before Mougas and is an obvious place to stay because you can visit the monastery there. I imagine finding somewhere shortly before Vigo would be more difficult because it’s a big city that sucks up everything around it.
Thank you! I was just thinking that about Vigo. In your opinion, how is Oia in compassion to Mougas?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! I was just thinking that about Vigo. In your opinion, how is Oia in compassion to Mougas?
To be honest I don’t remember Mougas at all. Oia is tiny but lovely and would be the typical way to break up the stage from Caminha/A Guarda to Baiona. La Cala is a great place to stay in Oia, it’s a cosy albergue-inn.

Last edited:
I agree with @jungleboy Oia and La Cala are worth stopping for, such breathtaking coastal beauty during the day or at night ! And all that fresh sea air ! You must stay in Baiona too. Then you can walk along the coast into Vigo and finish at Samil beach, call a Taxi to get into the city centre and avoid being swallowed up as this is where most of the hotels are situated.

Agree with Oia and La Cala Inn. Say hi for me to Glyvia, my friend who works there and Tanya the proprietress. You will love the town, the monastery and the Inn. There is nothing much in Mougas.

Baiona is also wonderful if you love castles and beaches, shops and seafood. It's about 22km from Oia.

As for avoiding Vigo, there are many beachfront places to stay along the coast before entering the city proper. But that may make too short a day from Baiona.

You could go a few more kilometers after Baiona to A Ramallosa or the albergue in Nigrán and the next day walk all the way through to Redondela, avoiding Vigo altogether. On the Senda Litoral that would make a very long day, shorter on the inland Coastal Route, but both well over 30km. There is nothing between Vigo and Redondela.

Good luck and happy planning!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed at a private albergue in Viladesuso, on the highway about 16 km north of A Guarda and 14km from Baiona. It has private rooms with shared bath and a dorm. Also a nice deck overlooking the ocean. Comfortable mattresses!

I stayed at a private albergue in Viladesuso, on the highway about 16 km north of A Guarda and 14km from Baiona. It has private rooms with shared bath and a dorm. Also a nice deck overlooking the ocean. Comfortable mattresses!
We stayed at Hotel Glasgow in Viladesuso because we couldn’t find anything else with a private room. It’s like a tacky roadside hotel in Florida. Not offensive in anyway just charmless. Neon sign, bus tours, sun burned tourists getting drunk by the pool. The town is dominated by a big Repsol gas station. The only ugly town we saw on the whole Camino. I hated walking on that yellow bike lane. This section was the low point for me. I wish we’d stayed in Oia but we wanted to shorten the walk to Baiona. (I loved Oia and Baiona!) I’m really surprised there are so few choices in the beach towns before Vigo. What about this place? It’s inland on the southern outskirts of Vigo. There are positive comments from pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much for all the information! We’ve stayed in Baiona before, so hoped to try somewhere different. Oia doesn’t seem to have much accomodation, much if not all of it is within the neighbouring towns. Am I missing something?

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back