• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra Olympus 5 Hike Mid GTX - follow up.

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Time of past OR future Camino
C.F. 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021
C.P. 2022
This review is much later than intended. I started from Pamplona in March as planned, with hopes to walk the Inverno over Easter. However, life got complicated and I only got as far as Castrojeriz before needing to head home for family medical issues. All is good now. The post Camino review follows.

My initial post (see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ympus-5-hike-mid-gtx-first-impressions.78866/ ) was written shortly after purchasing the Altra Olympus. I was attracted by the more substantial padding on the soles of the boots. After walking the Portuguese in Lone Peaks I vowed to find a boot with more ā€œstuffā€ between my foot and the ground. The Olympus definitely meets this need. The thicker sole makes a world of difference.

As I noted in my earlier review the sole is about 30% thicker than the Lone Peak (33mm vs. 25mm). While thicker, it still allows for a feel of the terrain. I really didnā€™t notice the extra weight of the shoe, but it does feel more substantial in general.

While Iā€™d walked about 50 miles at home before starting in Pamplona, it took 4-5 Camino days for the boots to completely break in. Another area where the upper part of the tongue is sewn in required a bit of trimming to relieve a pressure sore. After that they were nearly as comfortable as any Lone Peak Iā€™ve worn. Since I walk in March Iā€™m not really bothered by hot feet. This could very well be an issue in the summer for some. The low tops without the waterproof membrane would be my choice for warmer weather.

Also noteworthy was how well the treads of the boots wore. I think you would have a good deal of tread left over after after a full Camino.

In short I really like the Altra Olympus and they are my new go to footwear for Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I also wore Altra Olympus 4 last year (14 days of walking Pamplona to Fromista) and Olympus 5 this year (19 days from Porto to Santiago to Finisterre). I loved both pairs and found them definitely more comfortable and lighter than Merrell Moab I used in the past.

I wore the Altra Lone Peak 7 shoes for the Camino Portuguese Coastal last month from Porto to Santiago and appreciate your review of the Olympus. I loved the extra wide toe box of the LP but found I wanted more padding on the soles esp when walking on cobblestones, lots of asphalt and some of the rocky trail. I plan to investigate further the Olympus prior to doing the Camino FrancƩs next Spring. What a fantastic way to travel! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
'
This review is much later than intended. I started from Pamplona in March as planned, with hopes to walk the Inverno over Easter. However, life got complicated and I only got as far as Castrojeriz before needing to head home for family medical issues. All is good now. The post Camino review follows.

My initial post (see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ympus-5-hike-mid-gtx-first-impressions.78866/ ) was written shortly after purchasing the Altra Olympus. I was attracted by the more substantial padding on the soles of the boots. After walking the Portuguese in Lone Peaks I vowed to find a boot with more ā€œstuffā€ between my foot and the ground. The Olympus definitely meets this need. The thicker sole makes a world of difference.

As I noted in my earlier review the sole is about 30% thicker than the Lone Peak (33mm vs. 25mm). While thicker, it still allows for a feel of the terrain. I really didnā€™t notice the extra weight of the shoe, but it does feel more substantial in general.

While Iā€™d walked about 50 miles at home before starting in Pamplona, it took 4-5 Camino days for the boots to completely break in. Another area where the upper part of the tongue is sewn in required a bit of trimming to relieve a pressure sore. After that they were nearly as comfortable as any Lone Peak Iā€™ve worn. Since I walk in March Iā€™m not really bothered by hot feet. This could very well be an issue in the summer for some. The low tops without the waterproof membrane would be my choice for warmer weather.

Also noteworthy was how well the treads of the boots wore. I think you would have a good deal of tread left over after after a full Camino.

In short I really like the Altra Olympus and they are my new go to footwear for Spain.
Were you carrying a pack? Curious as my experience tells me that adds to the necessity of shoe paddingā€¦

Yesā€¦carried 20 lb pack the whole Camino. No doubt extra sole padding would be helpful beyond using good supportive insoles (which I did).

Rick

Do understand that the Olympus model has vibram soles, very key difference here is that this higher quality sole last far longer than other Ultra shoes. My husband wore them last year and the vibram soles are still intact whereas my Timp 4 were basically well worn end of the Frances. Not sure why Ultra doesn't use vibram on all their shoe models.

ā‚¬83,-
)
Do understand that the Olympus model has vibram soles, very key difference here is that this higher quality sole last far longer than other Ultra shoes. My husband wore them last year and the vibram soles are still intact whereas my Timp 4 were basically well worn end of the Frances. Not sure why Ultra doesn't use vibram on all their shoe models.
They have an interesting sole design. There are Vibram ā€œstripsā€ in the area of the toes, along the outer edges, and in the heel (orange and green areas). The blue portion appears to be a rugged closed cell foam. It is much more softer and flexible than the Vibram. Iā€™m guessing this blue foam make the sole much more flexible and lighter, and more comfortable, than if it were all Vibram. There have been some reports of the strips under the toes peeling off though I didnā€™t have an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpeg
    IMG_1751.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
I recently bought a pair of Olympus 5 which felt fantastic to wear. After trying LPs and Brooks Cascadias I had finally found my Camino shoes!
Disappointingly, after several hill and mountain walks in Ireland and England, probably no more than 40 miles in total, the tread in the centre of one shoes started to come unstuck. After looking at some reviews it seems this is not an isolated problem and it did not inspire any confidence to attempt to walk 500 miles in them.
I have since bought a pair of Altra Olympus Via running shoes and a pair of Olympus 4. I am considering that the sole on the running shoes is harder and therefore likely to last longer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore Olympus 5 Lisbon to ValenƧa then Ferrol to SDC in April/May. I was very appreciative of the extra cushioning on the cobblestone and asphalt through Portugal. Iā€™ve worn Loan Peak on various FrancĆ©s and Portuguese Costal x2 and Timps on the Via De la Plata. Olympus has my vote. I have a very wide foot and I still found them comfortable enough, standard practice on my last 4 caminos is to wrap little and big toeā€¦ not worth the risk in any shoe with my gammy feet. The sole wore well this last trip, my issue is with the inside of the heel wearing awayā€¦ now I put tape or one of Rebecca Rushtonā€™s products to buffer the wear. Itā€™s my only gripe when you spend top $ on a shoe. Having said that Iā€™m still wearing them back in Brisbaneā€¦walking..dreaming of my next caminoā€¦

I walked in one pair of Olympus 4 from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in May/June 2022 in
I wore Altra Olympus 4, and loved it ,
I`m Still using Olympus 4 for walk at home , its still, in reasonably good condition , so far at least over 2000 kms on them. šŸ˜‚
Cheers and Buen Camino to all ! šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦

Last edited:
I started walking with a new pair of Altra Olympus June 3 from Madrid. They stated falling apart after days. I am now on my 22 day heading down Camino Frances. The inside lining on the heel is now worn through. I think I just bought a bad pair.

Attachments

• IMG_5349.jpeg
    IMG_5349.jpeg
    743.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the CF last year in the Olympus 4s. They were great, held up really well. Got home, bought the Olympus 5s, still fit really well but the inside of the heel is shredded already just from normal use. I tried scouring the market for the 4s but couldnā€™t find my size.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.