• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Follow up to gear recommendations from Pilgrims

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Well- I've been shopping for Camino gear and thanks to suggestions here and from a super wonderful REI salesperson, I've purchased a few basics.

For a backpack, the 38L Gregory Jade in xs/s fit me the best. I'm 5'4" and 150lbs with a very short torso. I must have tried on 20 backpacks before finding one that felt good to me. The salesperson was soooo patient and helpful. I cant imagine trying to buy one online- I'd be making a million trips to return the 20 or so packs that didnt work (or get tired of returns and settle on something that didnt).

For shoes I purchased Altra Lone Peak but I am going to return them and try the Altra Olympus. The Lone Peak is really comfy but after walking 6-7 miles 2 days in a row over uneven hiking trails I feel the need for a shoe with a thicker sole and a little more structure.

A sleeping bag/sleep kit has caused me the most consternation as I expect the first half of the Camino to be hot (late Sept/mid Oct) and the second half to be cold and wet. Other than finding a good bag at a reasonable price, the biggest
priority to me was very low weight. I found this on the REI used gear site : REI Co-op Magma 30 that only weighs 1lb 6oz! I was very happy to get this top-rated bag at an amazingly low price.

On Ebay I found a Sea to Summit silk & cotton bag liner, new, and very reasonably priced.

Toe socks rock! I'll be wearing them as a first layer and silk "liners" as a second layer. Unusual, I know, but it seems to work well on my training hikes.

I'm being called to the dinner table so I must stop now, Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can relate., as I have been "dating" back packs for about 2 months now, and still not settled !
Regular ex small packs are too small and extended size packs are too big-I feel like the baby bear in Goldilocks! I'm hopeful that the Osprey eja 38 ot the Mira 32 will do the trick..or the ULA circuit .
Good luck to you, the folks at REI are awesome👍👍

You might want to check out the Altra "Via" Olympus. It has a bit more cushion than the regular Olympus. I tried on a pair at REI last week and they felt pretty good. Like you I enjoy the Lone Peaks, but need more cushion for longer hikes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might want to check out the Altra "Via" Olympus. It has a bit more cushion than the regular Olympus. I tried on a pair at REI last week and they felt pretty good. Like you I enjoy the Lone Peaks, but need more cushion for longer hikes.
The difference is that the Via Olympus is a road running shoe, while the regular Olympus is a trail runner.

I would also recommend not buying a sleeping bag now. Use a silk sleep sack and if you get a little chilly put some clothes on. When You get Leon (based on when you say you are leaving) things will probably start to get colder for you especially because you are entering Galicia.
I have this bag and I walk in December also:
It is inexpensive and you would you would probably get the Medium bag. It only weighs 680 grams. In the winter I wear my mid weight long sleeve merino wool and leggings and I am fine.
Go lighter at first and by the time you get to Leon you will not even notice the extra weight.

I used gossamer gear murmur36 in 2021, Primitivo route and loved it. Since then they have come out with the Loris25. These packs are ultralight and can expand considerably. I'm taking the Loris on the Portuguese in June (9# without water total weight). If you decide to try this you do have to order the hip belt separate on the Loris. And check out their waist pack too.
20230430_094729.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sounds like you are making good progress!

My only thought is - I own the REI Magma 30 and it is VERY warm. Remember - even though it will be cold outside at night towards the end of your trip, you will at least be indoors when sleeping, so won't be as cold inside as it is outside. A summer temperature rated bag should still be fine for indoor sleeping even in the cooler months. If you do bring a a summer temperature rated bag - if you do end up being cold at night, you could simply wear extra layers to sleep. Having a sleeping bag and a liner already gives you extra warmth (but also weighs even more). Also - your bag is around 623 grams and is on the heavier side. Your back will most likely appreciate if you can try to keep your sleeping bag under 500 grams (mine will be 250 grams now for the Via Francigena). I carried one that was 450 grams on my first Camino and mailed it home (regretted that too). It is also a bit bulky - but your bag is large enough that shouldn't be a problem.

Of course - if you are buying a sleeping bag for both the Camino and other camping trips - then keeping the Magma 30 is fine since it will be used outdoors as well later.

My only thought is - I own the REI Magma 30 and it is VERY warm. Remember - even though it will be cold outside at night towards the end of your trip, you will at least be indoors when sleeping, so won't be as cold inside as it is outside. A summer temperature rated bag should still be fine for indoor sleeping even in the cooler months. If you do bring a a summer temperature rated bag - if you do end up being cold at night, you could simply wear extra layers to sleep. Having a sleeping bag and a liner already gives you extra warmth (but also weighs even more). Also - your bag is around 623 grams and is on the heavier side. Your back will most likely appreciate if you can try to keep your sleeping bag under 500 grams (mine will be 250 grams now for the Via Francigena). I carried one that was 450 grams on my first Camino and mailed it home (regretted that too). It is also a bit bulky - but your bag is large enough that shouldn't be a problem.

Of course - if you are buying a sleeping bag for both the Camino and other camping trips - then keeping the Magma 30 is fine since it will be used outdoors as well later.
Sheesh - which bag do you have that is 250gm? I thought I was doing well with the Magma at 1lb 6oz. Too heavy eh? I can easily return it. I also saw a Phantom 45 at a little under a pound. Or the inexpensive agexsomethingorother.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sheesh - which bag do you have that is 250gm? I thought I was doing well with the Magma at 1lb 6oz. Too heavy eh? I can easily return it. I also saw a Phantom 45 at a little under a pound. Or the inexpensive agexsomethingorother.
I use a homemade oversized silk sleep sack and separate silk pillowcase with a very small down blanket that goes inside the sleep sack when it's cold. Together they weigh just about one pound. It makes a very flexible sleep system.

I use a homemade oversized silk sleep sack and separate silk pillowcase with a very small down blanket that goes inside the sleep sack when it's cold. Together they weigh just about one pound. It makes a very flexible sleep system.
Do you secure the down blanket inside the sleep sack (I'd probably have the blanket twisted into 10 knots by morning). And how do you use the silk pillow case?

Dang- I wish I was handy with a sewing machine.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would also recommend not buying a sleeping bag now. Use a silk sleep sack and if you get a little chilly put some clothes on. When You get Leon (based on when you say you are leaving) things will probably start to get colder for you especially because you are entering Galicia.
I have this bag and I walk in December also:
It is inexpensive and you would you would probably get the Medium bag. It only weighs 680 grams. In the winter I wear my mid weight long sleeve merino wool and leggings and I am fine.
Go lighter at first and by the time you get to Leon you will not even notice the extra weight.
Great suggestion ! Thank you. I'd like to shop Decathalon- we dont have them in the US.

I use a homemade oversized silk sleep sack and separate silk pillowcase with a very small down blanket that goes inside the sleep sack when it's cold. Together they weigh just about one pound. It makes a very flexible sleep system
Intrigued by this combi, what kind of down blanket do you have?

For OP: the best advice I got here was "don't pack your fears". I walked Mozarabe and CP october/november and would have only needed some kind of extra blanket once. And I wasn't cold just not toasty warm. I don't where you plan on staying but stuff quickly adds up so and every gram can become one too many. I went for an extra puffer jacket with hood and an extra warm underlayer (which also good be used for going around town) and that served me well.

All this until I find the unicorn among sleeping bags: super light, spacious, warm and taking little to no space :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great suggestion ! Thank you. I'd like to shop Decathalon- we dont have them in the US.
There used to be two Decathlon stores in the San Francisco area, but they both closed. However they do still have an online US store, and many of their items are sold on Walmart.com.

I have already replied to your private message - but here is the response so others can see

Cumulus Magic 100 zip - made in Poland but mine arrived to the US VERY quickly. This one is 250g, opens up almost fully (feet don't open completely), and is good for 50 degrees fahrenheit. Costs $175 plus shipping I think was around $20
cumulus.equipment

MAGIC 100 ZIP

A great choice for those who like simple solutions for the summer months. One of the most basic sleeping bags in our offer. Toray® Airtastic makes it light and soft in touch, and ethically sourced Polish goose down fills the inside. Made in Poland.
cumulus.equipment
cumulus.equipment

Sea to Summit Spark Ultralight 40F weighs 350 grams and is a bit pricey at $360 - but I use my REI coupons and membership dividends to get that one much cheaper. It does NOT open fully. But it does open up from above the waist.
https://www.rei.com/product/152786/sea-to-summit-spark-ultralight-40f-sleeping-bag

Or if on a budget - this one is on Amazon and weighs 450 grams, also does not open up fully and is a also good for 40 degrees and still much more compact than the Magma.
https://www.amazon.com/AEGISMAX-Url...-L200cmW86cm/dp/B00XE2SKG2/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have used all three. The advantage to the Cumulus is it opens up and is so light. I will be brining that one on the Via Francigena.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@MARSKA: Have been following this thread closely, as I too am preparing for my first camino (September), and have had lots of the same questions. I saw that you purchased the Magma used from REI Re/Supply. Just thought I'd chime in here: Are you aware that the return period for used gear purchased from REI is different from the usual amazingly generous 365-day return window? For used gear, returns need to be within 30 days. (Just in case you do decide to return the Magma.)

Thanks for the heads up Abuelita. I am aware - I have already decided to return it and it hasnt even been delivered yet!
I bought quite a few things when I was first researching gear that didn't end up making it into my backpack. 😉

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow! So much help here from other Pilgrims! I have totally changed my ideas about a sleep kit (hard to get away from the thru hiker- sleep on the ground mindset). I ordered the Near Zero 450gm 45F bag and plan to return the Magma 30 as soon as it is delivered.

https://nearzero.co/collections/sleeping-bags/products/nz-one-gray

I also plan to bring the silk & cotton bag liner that I got on Ebay for $32
https://www.rei.com/product/812068/sea-to-summit-premium-blend-silkcotton-liner-rectangular

I've decided that the Altra Lone Peak - although extremely comfy - wont do it for 700km. I ordered the Altra Olympic . Ouch!!!n Very expensive. I'll let you know what I think once the shoes arrives and I've put a few miles on them. This brand makes shoes with a very large toe box and a relatively narrow to normal heel which I find to be perfect for my feet.

I do love REI. I can return the Altra Lone Peak shoes even though I've put a few miles on them. I have 30 days on the Magma 30 (purchased used).

I also bought these on the "used" REI site:

Tora Half-Zip Base Layer Top - Women's

Kari TraaTora Half-Zip Base Layer Top - Women's

Icon Merino Air-Con Raglan Shirt - Women's

Mons RoyaleIcon Merino Air-Con Raglan Shirt - Women's
Silk Liner Crew Socks

REI Co-opSilk Liner Crew Socks
Liner Crew Wool Socks

InjinjiLiner Crew Wool Socks
Color: SLATE

Solar Gloves

BuffSolar Gloves
Color: POOL
Size: M
Item: 2261190002
UVShield Cool Gaiter

Sunday AfternoonsUVShield Cool Gaiter

I have Brooks Dare and Knix sports bras ordered and will compare.
I also ordered the "pee-proof" undies from Knix- I have a little leakage when I cough, sneeze, etc so I thought I'd try these. Not sure how they breathe or dry but can use at home if they dont pass the Camino test.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lots of excellent information here…I’ve tried the Lone Peaks (not enough cushion) so I bought the Olympus Trail Runners today and they feel great with the added super feet insoles. As for the bag I’m opting for the Sea to Summit liner. I’ve seen a few posts on down bags and they are troublesome if you encounter bugs or it gets wet. No right or wrong here but just different preferences. Also bougot the Rab Downpour Plus 2.0 rain jacket. Headed to CF end of Sept and into October.
any opinion on rain pants and are the necessary? I’m not a poncho guy.

Regarding the Lone Peaks, I wear them on my local trail hikes because my toes love the extra wiggle room. I'm not sure if I'd take them on Camino (the jury is out on that one ;) ).

However, I did fashion a rock plate for them out of a flexible plastic cutting board, the type with an anti-slip 'waffle-grip' bottom. On top of this rock plate I use a thin, but cushy insole. And I've got to say that the improvised rock plate made a marked improvement for me.

I have made rock plates for my boots, too, two times now. I cut them from the plastic jugs cat litter comes in, which I love to be able to re-purpose. Works great! Then I always use Superfeet inserts. They are pricey but much cheaper than custom orthotics and make a big difference in arch support and comfort.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Near Zero bag arrived today! Cant wait to give it a go!

I also received my merino wool T-shirt- ohhhh I dont like it,,,its too scratchy - its going back.

My water bottle arrived as did my electrolyte replacement tablets. Waiting on the Altra Olympus shoes, UV gloves, UV neck gaiter and UV bandana , S&S sleep sack, sports bra, poncho, etc.

Sarge 63- hope to meet up with you "out there" as I am in SJPdP Sept 22, starting on the CF Sept. 24 and walking through Nov.1. Buen Camino!
I have made rock plates for my boots, too, two times now. I cut them from the plastic jugs cat litter comes in, which I love to be able to re-purpose. Works great! Then I always use Superfeet inserts. They are pricey but much cheaper than custom orthotics and make a big difference in arch support and comfort.
What are rock plates, if I may be so bold?

I also received my merino wool T-shirt- ohhhh I dont like it,,,its too scratchy - its going back.
Which brand? I prefer Icebreaker. More expensive, but holds up well even in the washer and have never found them to be scratchy myself. I also like my SmartWool hiking dresses - but they are a Merino Wool/synthetic blend - but very smooth.

Lots of excellent information here…I’ve tried the Lone Peaks (not enough cushion) so I bought the Olympus Trail Runners today and they feel great with the added super feet insoles. As for the bag I’m opting for the Sea to Summit liner. I’ve seen a few posts on down bags and they are troublesome if you encounter bugs or it gets wet. No right or wrong here but just different preferences. Also bougot the Rab Downpour Plus 2.0 rain jacket. Headed to CF end of Sept and into October.
any opinion on rain pants and are the necessary? I’m not a poncho guy.
As I said, I hope we meet! It is sure to rain in Galicia in October, so some type of rain gear is needed. Whether that is a rain jacket, rain pants, or poncho or a combination is a matter of personal preference and there are pro's and con's to all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Which brand? I prefer Icebreaker. More expensive, but holds up well even in the washer and have never found them to be scratchy myself. I also like my SmartWool hiking dresses - but they are a Merino Wool/synthetic blend - but very smooth.
The T shirts are Icebreaker. Hmmm - well - it's scratchy to me - and so are my M. wool toesocks. I have a "Mons" LS M. wool shirt that is comfy tho. I seem to be a little sensitive to merino- no idea why.

The T shirts are Icebreaker. Hmmm - well - it's scratchy to me - and so are my M. wool toesocks. I have a "Mons" LS M. wool shirt that is comfy tho. I seem to be a little sensitive to merino- no idea why.
Ah... too bad they don't work for you! At least you know in time to make the switch. This is why it is always best to test your gear!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Near Zero bag arrived today! Cant wait to give it a go!

My water bottle arrived as did my electrolyte replacement tablets. Waiting on the Altra Olympus shoes, UV gloves, UV neck gaiter and UV bandana , S&S sleep sack, sports bra, poncho, etc.

Sarge 63- hope to meet up with you "out there" as I am in SJPdP Sept 22, starting on the CF Sept. 24 and walking through Nov.1. Buen Camino!

What are rock plates, if I may be so bold?
Marska, did you get your Altra Olympus? Curious what you think as I bought a pair and will be returning them this week. The shoe feels massive on my foot and its just not for me…

Yes. I did get my Altra Olympus shoes. I'm on the fence - I loive the wide toe box and how sturdy they are but they do feel a bit "massive".

Yes. I did get my Altra Olympus shoes. I'm on the fence - I loive the wide toe box and how sturdy they are but they do feel a bit "massive".
I liked the Lone Peaks much better than the Olympus myself. You can switch out the insoles if you want to for better cushioning

I like the Lone Peaks! For "regular" walking around town & such. But for long hikes they don't have quite enough support and cushioning.

I like the Lone Peaks! For "regular" walking around town & such. But for long hikes they don't have quite enough support and cushioning.
Well - wear what is best for you - but switching out the insoles can give you more cushioning and more support depending on the insoles you purchase. I really wanted to like the Olympus - but they ended up being worse for my feet.

Returned my Altra Olympus today and looking at Hoka speedgoats in 2E wide version for extra toe room. Loved the feel and may end up going in that direction. Trying on one other shoe tomorrow and making my decision. The Olympus was just too much volume for my feet. Walked in them for 2 weeks and just returned them.

Take a look at Topo brand shoes, which have a bit more cushioning along with a wide toe box. They didn't work with my feet but there are many positive reviews for them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
my Altus poncho came today! All I need now is a bra and some type of bottoms. Still trying to decide between leggings (tights) & shorts/skirt or convertible pants. Oh- and sticks - which I will buy in France.

I'm also still not quite sure about shoes - as mentioned above.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.