• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Rain Poncho

pilgrimsister

Time of past OR future Camino
fall 2013
My sister and I are very excited about the prospect of walking the Camino Frances in September/October this year and are very busy getting fit and organized. I have heard often on this forum that the Altus Poncho is the best option for rainy days, but I'm having trouble finding one. Even the barrabes site has them only in XS size. Has it been discontinued, and if so, what is a good alternative?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are starting in St Jean you can order one from Pierre who owns two shops and he will keep it aside for you.
directioncompostelle@orange.fr

The ALTUS backpack raincoat now comes in two styles - a lighter version of the orginal that weighs
about 350gr and the original that weighs 450gr
They have them on special at this shop in Sarria. http://tinyurl.com/cdjlmpb

Attachments

• ALTUS.jpg
    ALTUS.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,398
sillydoll said:
If you are starting in St Jean you can order one from Pierre who owns two shops and he will keep it aside for you.
directioncompostelle@orange.fr

The ALTUS backpack raincoat now comes in two styles - a lighter version of the orginal that weighs
about 350gr and the original that weighs 450gr
They have them on special at this shop in Sarria. http://tinyurl.com/cdjlmpb
Hi Sil

Do you know of any places in either Madrid or Seville that sell this poncho ?

Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Across the river is this sporting goods store:

DC Distribution
1 place Charles Floquet 64220 St Jean Pied'de Port
Activités : magasin de sport St Jean Pied'de Port
05 59 49 12 77

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was going to get an Altus poncho in SJPP after reading about it on the site here. As I got closer to my departure date I learned Altus changed the design of the poncho( which I found buried in a thread) eliminating some design elements that made it popular(velco closures on sleeves). I ended up getting a Ferrino Trekker RP on amazon since the design elements were the same or similar to the older model Altus.
I had condensation on the inside which I think plagues everyone no matter what rain gear they wear but it was a terrific wind break and water barrier on more than one occasion. My biggest complaint is the hood came down too low in front of my eyes. More of a problem with my head shape than the poncho.

Plenty of rain forecast at this stage for late next week when we'll be on the camino.

Thinking now about buying altus ponchos in St Jean for my lads to wear over their ordinary water-resistant heavy school-jackets (for normal school wear at home etc) rather than spending a fortune on waterproof jackets that won't really be needed for the Irish 'summer' - whenever that comes. Is the Altus definitely waterproof? Many thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, the poncho is definitely waterproof. It's quick to put on, and covers everything up. We wore them when it was raining stair rods in Finisterre! But they do get wet on the inside due to sweating, and I'm a lady, and as you know ladies do not sweat, they merely glow!
Maybe children won't have this condensation problem. The poncho is very light in weight, and useful if you don't have to wear it for long periods of time.
Buen camino :)

The altus can also be bought online at http://www.peregrinoteca.com which is where I got mine. The last time I looked they had 2 sizes available, Scroll cown the list of items on the left hand side and click on "leggings and ponchos" to see what is available. I am very happy with my altus but I wish it was just a little bit longer. And remember to face into the wind when throwing them up and over your backpack.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The Sarria shop is close to the municipal albergue.

With your back to the albergue go up the hill, turn left down the steps at the place where the road bends and the shop is at the bottom. In November 2012 it closed at 21.00.

Five minutes at most. It is actually on the Camino and you walk past it as you travel towards SdC.

I have walked through some awful rain on the Camino while wearing a rain proof coat and having a cover on my rucksack. The rain gets between the two.

Last Camino I bought a poncho and wished I'd used one before.

My experience has been that you will sweat and glow even with an expensive Goretex coat simply because of the exercise and the distance covered.

Lastly, I usually carry a small bag on my tummy with a strap over my shoulder and the poncho covered that as well. For the first time ever I did not have to worry about the contents of the bag getting wet through permatation (you know what I mean).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just purchased a couple of large ponchos at one of the Barrabes stores in Madrid.
Decided to go with the newer lighter versions.

A couple of comments or observations:

My wife choose the large given that with her pack once has a pn attached her yoga mat on it, which means she needs a bit more room. The medium might have worked if her pack was not so bulky, so consider what you are carrying when deciding on the size along your height. My wife is 5-6.

The newer lighter versions do not have the Velcro wrists and are a bit shorter but the poncho is noticeably lighter and the stuff bag smaller, so this why we decided to go with this version.

If you are flying into Madrid to do the camino then stopping into one the number of Barrabes company stores is a good option if you need a poncho or some other gear.

Just purchased a couple of large ponchos at one of the Barrabes stores in Madrid.
Decided to go with the newer lighter versions.

A couple of comments or observations:

My wife choose the large given that with her pack once has a pn attached her yoga mat on it, which means she needs a bit more room. The medium might have worked if her pack was not so bulky, so consider what you are carrying when deciding on the size along your height. My wife is 5-6.

The newer lighter versions do not have the Velcro wrists and are a bit shorter but the poncho is noticeably lighter and the stuff bag smaller, so this why we decided to go with this version.

If you are flying into Madrid to do the camino then stopping into one the number of Barrabes company stores is a good option if you need a poncho or some other gear.
Did the lighter version keep you dry?

Actually the silly thing after trying on both the heavier version and lighter version, and finally deciding on the latter, I discovered I had grabbed a size smaller than what I really needed. This only came to light a few weeks later after we had been walking for awhile. So I gave the smaller poncho away to a friend who was walking with us. ( I had kept my older canadian poncho, so I continued to use it.

From what I understand it kept her dry.

My wife wisely picked the lighter version and correct size and found what I remember had no serious issues with it.

Really important to try both ponchos with your pack on, etc and double check you have the right size before you leave the store.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Finally I have cracked the issues with the Altus Poncho, I have given scathing feedback on this forum being under the impression that that the new model is extremely useless after my husband bought one from Barrabes for 26 Euros Special offer and it leaked, and he sweated and it clung to everything and he was soaked and cold and uncomfortable.
I have looked at the CAMINOTECA website and they offer 3 different models> At 44 to 46 Euros the Altus Athmospheric which weighs 480 grams and the Altus Athmospheric S 3, which is the Lite at 300 grams and the Altus Basic which costs 22 Euros. The Basic is the nasty one. I have both Athmospherics and they have been fantastic. I thoroughly recommend the S3 Lite for the Camino. It is brilliant.
The one my husband ended up with was obviously the Basic, there was no mention on the Barrabes site that there were different types/models.
Hope this has cleared up the confusion.
p.s. I have just ordered another Altus Athmospheric S3 for myself in case my old one gives up the ghost. I ordered on line with Ferrovicmar, a company in Zaragoza, Spain, very simple process. Tried the Caminoteca website and there is something wrong with the site, would not let me register. Ferrovicamar was instantly successful. It will be sent to New Zealand.

Last edited:
I was going to get an Altus poncho in SJPP after reading about it on the site here. As I got closer to my departure date I learned Altus changed the design of the poncho( which I found buried in a thread) eliminating some design elements that made it popular(velco closures on sleeves). I ended up getting a Ferrino Trekker RP on amazon since the design elements were the same or similar to the older model Altus.
I had condensation on the inside which I think plagues everyone no matter what rain gear they wear but it was a terrific wind break and water barrier on more than one occasion. My biggest complaint is the hood came down too low in front of my eyes. More of a problem with my head shape than the poncho.
I found the perfect way to keep the hood out of the eyes, I wear a smallish straw sunhat all the time these days and put the hood over it, it keeps the nasty cold rain feeling off the scalp and stops the hood from falling over your eyes.

The Koreans have the best ponchos! They almost reach their ankles. Ponchos are not as good as a rain suit. Ever look at people who have to work in rain? They do NOT wear ponchos. They wear rain suits.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a difference between working and walking in the rain, I would not work in a poncho, but for walking the Altus is perfect as it is like a coat with a bulge for the backpack. You can walk with it draped over only, arms out in a drizzle, arms in and open in a little rain and closed up when it rains heavily and when the rain stops, you just open it up, slip your arms out, flick the Altus back over your pack and it dries off, no hassle. Believe me it is perfect!
I second MethodistPilgrim's feedback!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back