• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An evocative short film from BBC

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Here is an evocative short film about a tiny Knights Templar church, Santa Maria do Olival, just outside Tomar.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's beautiful. Thank you, Margaret.
It left many questions, especially what happend in Tomar on Friday 13 October 1307.
So I went looking, and it turned out to be a dofferent ending in Portufal. Wikipedia (for what it is worth) tells me this:
The Portuguese king, Denis I, refused to pursue and persecute the former knights, as had occurred in all other sovereign states under the influence of the Catholic Church. Under his protection, Templar organizations simply changed their name, from "Knights Templar" to the reconstituted Order of Christ and also a parallel Supreme Order of Christ of the Holy See; both are considered successors to the Knights Templar.
[...]
Following the dissolution of the Knights Templar, the Order of Christ was erected in 1319 and absorbed many of the Knights Templar into its ranks, along with Knights Templar properties in Portugal. Its headquarters became a castle in Tomar, a former Knights Templar castle

Thank you mspath.
Seeing this film brought back many memories of our own visit there in 2016 while walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. We visited the Church when it was open in the afternoon of our rest day in Tomar. We were very fortunate to meet Dulce when she opened the Church. She then gave us a personalised guided tour, which was very informative and detailed. The Church is brimming with Templar history and symbols. Here are a few of the photos we took.
P4303642.JPG
P4303643.JPG
Engraving of templar symbol in the floor.
P4303655.JPG
P4303656.JPG
Engraving of The Holy Grail on the floor under a pew.
P4303645.JPG
P4303651.JPG
P4303652.JPG
Santa Iria de Tomar
P4303653.JPG
Statue of St Anne, Mary & Jesus
P4303654.JPG
The main Altar

Last edited:
I adored Tomar!! But never got to the East Bank of Nabao. Spent lots of time in the Castle and the ancient Synagogue. Fascinating period of history. I guess I will need to get back to catch what I missed. Hostel 2300 was wonderful as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you mspath.
Seeing this film brought back many memories of our own visit there in 2016 while walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. We visited the Church when it was open in the afternoon of our rest day in Tomar. We were very fortunate to meet Dulce when she opened the Church. She then gave us a personalised guided tour, which was very informative and detailed. The Church is brimming with Templar history and symbols.

Anne & Pat

I am so glad you were able to see the inside of this beautiful church. I visited in 2016 as well however not on a Camino - I was on an overnight visit to Tomar and on a morning run and saw this beautiful church and knew it was special. I just did not know its amazing history and importance to the Knights Templar. Here is my picture from my run.

IMG_2015.JPG

As to the IMO silly headline of the article, the most important church of the Templars was of course the Temple itself, in Paris.

Destroyed centuries ago, so it's a bit hard to make video documentaries about it. :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is an evocative short film about a tiny Knights Templar church, Santa Maria do Olival, just outside Tomar.
[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.bbc.co.uk/reel/video/p08m2b9k/was-this-tiny-church-the-vatican-of-the-templars-[/URL]
I found this most interesting, but the video that follows this one, has an incredible story as well'

[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.bbc.co.uk/reel/video/p08m2b9k/was-this-tiny-church-the-vatican-of-the-templars-[/URL]
Very, very cool! Thank you so much. Hope to do a "tourist" visit to explore Templar history starting with Tomar-did hit the chapel on my way from Lisbon to Santiago. Looking forward to going back to spend more time.

[URL
This is certainly an evocative and fascinating short film. What a beautiful Church and super interesting interview.
After watching it, I investigated a little history about Saint Iria de Tomar and her story, to some extent reminded me of encountering Sainte Foy in Conques last year on the Via Podiensis.
I am especially grateful to you for sharing this because I am working on/shaping a Masters Thesis (sociocultural anthropology) loosely around encounters with the Sacred Feminine on the Camino de Santiago. That's not to say I see Sacred Feminine as a sole preserve of former/current Templars but I am interested in their associations with it, together with others I have researched, and those I will hopefully establish when I come over for fieldwork sometime next year.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back