• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any memorable accommodations you’d recommend, perhaps outside of the main stop points?

Worldwithamy

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
I have a rough itinerary mixing a bit of coastal with spiritual starting from Biaona to Vigo to Redondela, Pontevedra, Armenteira, Villanova de Arousa, Padron, O Faramello to Santiago.

I noticed in the Buen Camino app it goes through all these other small towns on the way to the big ones, some with accommodations as well. Should I stay the night somewhere apart from the major towns above? Any low key gems you’ve found?

The monastery of Armenteira will be closed, otherwise that was only one I would’ve booked in advance. Currently not booking anything in advance as I’m not sure how fast of a walker id be.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I split the stage from Pontevedra to Armenteira and spent a night in Combarro. The old fishing village is well worth exploring. I stayed in Albergue Hostel Nuestra Senora Del Camino and happily recommend it. There are private rooms, a mixed bunk room and a female only bunk room. There is a kitchen/sitting room and a lovely garden to relax in with wonderful sea views. The owner is friendly and helpful and has made a great job of converting what had been the home of her Grandparents.

In Armenteira, you can attend a Pilgrim Blessing at the Monastery at 7 pm, afterwards a Nun can give you a sello.

Buen Camino

I remember all the places I stayed walking the Variante Espiritual from Valenca 😇 Suggesting any of them are 'memorable' would be a stretch. They were all clean and tidy. The albergues were staffed by nice people who made me feel welcome. Hotels and hostels were a little less personal, but welcoming just the same. I look for places that provide breakfast. Not all did, but those that didn't were close to shops, bars and restaurants, so meals weren't generally a problem. The WisePilgrim app, Gronze and Brierley's guide were my main sources for accommodation information. If a place was listed on Booking.com, I would use that to do the booking, otherwise I would call them, preferably on WhatsApp if they were using it.

I posted a short description of the stages I used here. I had originally booked into the albergue at Armenteira (not the monastery) but I didn't feel like tackling the hill at the end of the day. At Combarro I found a place on Booking.com when I realised I wasn't going to get to Armenteira, sometime around midday. At Os Castanos, the contact details were in Brierley, and I rang when I left Armenteira. At Villanova de Arousa, the albergue had signs along the way, and it was also a phone call on the day to book.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a rough itinerary mixing a bit of coastal with spiritual starting from Biaona to Vigo to Redondela, Pontevedra, Armenteira, Villanova de Arousa, Padron, O Faramello to Santiago.

I noticed in the Buen Camino app it goes through all these other small towns on the way to the big ones, some with accommodations as well. Should I stay the night somewhere apart from the major towns above? Any low key gems you’ve found?

The monastery of Armenteira will be closed, otherwise that was only one I would’ve booked in advance. Currently not booking anything in advance as I’m not sure how fast of a walker id be.
Hi, we also highly recommend the Albergue hostal nuestra senora at Combarro lovely and quite new place. Next day you can start the climb to Armenteira with fresh legs.We had dinner that night just a little furrher down the street at a somewhat hidden place behind a garage, a local winemaker serving only a few very taste dishes.
At Armenteira we stayed few km off the Camino at casa carballo de prado 1900, the owners pick you up at the monastery and put you back on track next morning, a nice wax stamp you get there, good food and breakfast!

Enjoy planning and Buen Camino!

I remember all the places I stayed walking the Variante Espiritual from Valenca 😇 Suggesting any of them are 'memorable' would be a stretch. They were all clean and tidy. The albergues were staffed by nice people who made me feel welcome. Hotels and hostels were a little less personal, but welcoming just the same. I look for places that provide breakfast. Not all did, but those that didn't were close to shops, bars and restaurants, so meals weren't generally a problem. The WisePilgrim app, Gronze and Brierley's guide were my main sources for accommodation information. If a place was listed on Booking.com, I would use that to do the booking, otherwise I would call them, preferably on WhatsApp if they were using it.

I posted a short description of the stages I used here. I had originally booked into the albergue at Armenteira (not the monastery) but I didn't feel like tackling the hill at the end of the day. At Combarro I found a place on Booking.com when I realised I wasn't going to get to Armenteira, sometime around midday. At Os Castanos, the contact details were in Brierley, and I rang when I left Armenteira. At Villanova de Arousa, the albergue had signs along the way, and it was also a phone call on the day to book.
Last night, I stayed at Casa Domingo, a farm house that is an albergue, at Pontecampaña just beyond Palas de Rei and San Xulian on the Camino Frances. A total delight and a tasty pilgrim dinner for the whole group, even us vegetarians!

Another vote for Nuestra Señora del Camino in Combarro. I stayed there in September 2022. A very friendly and super clean place.
I especially liked the view from the albergue garden:

NS del Camino Combarro.jpeg

Combarro itself is a cute little village, well worth spending an afternoon there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The most fantastic place is in Combarro, which is an absolutely beautiful village.
Albergue Nuestra Senora del Camino is one of the most magnificent places I have ever stayed in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back