• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

any moments of "what the heck am I doing here" ?

I'm having one right now. This whole Camino has been horrible from the start. Other pilgrims are really unfriendly, and there is a very strong "holier than thou" mentality from some, while others are just doing drugs, screwing and picking fights with everyone. Had the rudest encounter ever with the hospitalero in Astoria. He didn't know my companion spoke Spanish so he said some ride things about us to another Spaniard that was present. I seriously don't know what I'm doing here. Has things changed so radically or have I just been really lucky on all my other caminos. I'm hoping to be able to finish with the shell for Denise in ten days or so. But I'm probably never doing the CF again! *sadface*
That is awful for you and I'm afraid these so called "pilgrims" (they are not really pilgrims at all) make me sad and mad too. The attitude gets up my nose. You have been given good advice by tincatinker and viranini. Either try and get past them or hold back for a day. Could you perhaps stay in another albergue or hostal? Is that the main albergue in Astorga you mention? If so, I also found them rude. We met 2 Korean girls who were bitten with bugs from head to foot and I was looking for a hostal for them as they did not want to stay in an albergue. Eventually I found them a room in the convent around the corner from the albergue but I had a right "go" at the hospitalero re their attitude. By the way the nuns don't advertise but they have rooms for pilgrims--- about 30 euro for two. A lovely place and tranquil. I must say we have never seen this kind of behaviour and if I saw drugs I would call the police and tell them I was doing so. Would love to throw a bucket of cold water on those fornicating for want of a better word. Do you have any music to listen to? I really feel for you. You don't need this carry on. Please let us know how things are going will you. Best wishes Annette

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now that honesty sacred me. Have I waited too long to do the Camino Francis? Is the time past for a good experience due to it's current popularity? Weigh in please:(

In my recent experience, I would say that a good experience is still to be had on the Camino, depending, of course what you want to get out of it. I don't think of myself as a pilgrim. I'm a walker and I enjoy the physical challenge, the variety of experience and the fellowship that comes with the Camino. I also enjoy the feeling of physical and mental well being that walking gives me.

I must admit that Sarria to Santiago made me rather grumpy for a day or two when the crowds appeared, but that passed and the fun and companionship I'd had over the last few years and especially during the miles from Leon on our last stretch more than made up for my selfish disgruntlement.

Others may regard the Camino in a different light and have different views but I'm glad I did it and now bore people to death about it.

That is awful for you and I'm afraid these so called "pilgrims" (they are not really pilgrims at all) make me sad and mad too. The attitude gets up my nose. You have been given good advice by tincatinker and viranini. Either try and get past them or hold back for a day. Could you perhaps stay in another albergue or hostal? Is that the main albergue in Astorga you mention? If so, I also found them rude. We met 2 Korean girls who were bitten with bugs from head to foot and I was looking for a hostal for them as they did not want to stay in an albergue. Eventually I found them a room in the convent around the corner from the albergue but I had a right "go" at the hospitalero re their attitude. By the way the nuns don't advertise but they have rooms for pilgrims--- about 30 euro for two. A lovely place and tranquil. I must say we have never seen this kind of behaviour and if I saw drugs I would call the police and tell them I was doing so. Would love to throw a bucket of cold water on those fornicating for want of a better word. Do you have any music to listen to? I really feel for you. You don't need this carry on. Please let us know how things are going will you. Best wishes Annette
This might be a good time to throw in a good and uplifting quote. I saw this on Facebook "OPTIMIST: Someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a Cha-Cha :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes I meant Astorga. Haha! My phone is doing the auto-misspell. ;) English isn't my first language either so sometimes my sentences turn out a little bit funny.

So sorry to hear this, Nikki, it sounds awful.
I had a wonderful Camino in March/April, with Easter Week square in the middle of it. Crowded at times, but none of what you describe. I wonder if there would be a change if you were to pause for a day or two and let this wave of Bozos go on by? And if there's no improvement in the company...heck, you're 2 days from the Invierno--you can peel off at Ponferrada and you'll have the road to yourself and plenty of peace and quiet, almost all the way to Santiago.

How is the invierno this time a year. Lots of things closed or??? :)

Wow I had heard this occasionally from others, yet I had or could not believe it. On your previous walks were they the same time of year? Being that I believe in light & dark or good & evil. It may be a part of this camino? I will pray for some good will. Stay strong & push thru it.

Keith

I walked the CF in May/June, July, October, and now November. I just have the feeling that this time a year maybe draw a certain kind of crowd? Had I known what I know now I would've done a full winter Camino in February.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes I meant Astorga. Haha! My phone is doing the auto-misspell. ;) English isn't my first language either so sometimes my sentences turn out a little bit funny.
No you are doing fine! My first language is English but this I pad has a mind of its own! Thank god it's got a spell checker or I would be in trouble. I once quoted Kanga as kangaroo (the iPad, not me of course!!) and had to apologise! Really hope you feel better soon. I could send you some funny jokes to make you laugh but the moderators would delete them!!! Bless you and hope you cheer up soon. Annette

This might be a good time to throw in a good and uplifting quote. I saw this on Facebook "OPTIMIST: Someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a Cha-Cha :D
:D Just can't resist this:
Leonard Cohen:
“I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin.”

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well after a lot of thinking I've decided to call it quits. This is not turning out to be "my" Camino so I'm gonna take the train to Santiago. Enjoy a few days in that wonderful town, visit a few friends and then head home to save up for a VdlP instead. I feel content with my decision. Thank you all for your encouragement, love and support. <3

Not surpirised by what @Nikki-ki-yay is experiencing, but saddened. Enough said about that, but completely agree with stepping back and come across a new lot or doing the Invierno, while reporting on it that is . I hope you are able to leave the riff raff walk ahead of you. But a word to the wise, at the ultra low cost, less and less effort needed, and movie promos, what this really gping to end any other way?

That happened to me the very first day on the Camino. I slept in my bed at home for the last time on the Thursday, the Friday morning I went to work and after work to the airport to depart. We had a stop over in Egypt for a few hours and then departed the Saturday morning but when approaching the airport in Madrid there was something wrong and we circle for a while before landing and that turned all my care full planning upside down and I arrived in St JPdP at three o'clock in the morning after a nightmare taxi ride and nowhere to stay, so I was wandering in the rain and waited for morning to come. Without sleep for 2 nights and without food for more than 24 hours I started my Camino with two Germans who at 5 o'clock in the dark and in pouring rain. At Orrison I was so tired my heart beat and I am sure everybody could hear it. I bought a baguette and the coffee, surely i would have died if I would have drink that very strong coffee so I leave it and before I could eat the Germans was on their way and at the caravan of the Frenchman it was raining cats and dogs and I planned to eat my baguette but there goes the Germans and a few miles before Roncesvalles in pouring rain they stop to eat and by my surprise I realise my baguette is still on the table of the Frenchman, so we continue with me in tears of hunger and dog tired. I thought I would not see the next day, I thought I will die on the Pyrenees but from the second day everything went well and it was a wonderful Camino. To phone my husband, and cry a little did the trick to go on.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have had many days of wondering why I was walking until I read Bill Bryson's comment on the Appalachian Trail.

It is an optional activity. I do not HAVE TO do it. I can quit anytime.

Now I am sustained by the firm knowledge that I don't have to take a single step more.

Now that honesty sacred me. Have I waited too long to do the Camino Francis? Is the time past for a good experience due to it's current popularity? Weigh in please:(
No, you have not left it too late. Have walked Frances twice, second time back in May. Great experience again, great people met again, new friends for life made again. Might go back again next September which means highly likely I will be having another great experience. Have not experienced anything like the problems expressed by the post that scared you. Most people want to be friendly, a few want to walk on their own but those who want to be downright unfriendly are few and far between. Dont worry, just do it, it will be great regardless of the times when you wonder what the heck you are doing. Realising I had the inner strength to overcome those times surprised me. I never knew I had it in me

I am hoping for honesty in your answers. Don't be afraid of scaring me. I don't scare that easily. Were there moments of "What have I done" or "please God, let me wake up in my own bed"? the real moments when you just want to quit and you feel miserable and can't believe you're doing this? How did you overcome these moments and move forward with joy and commitment on your journey? (In my dreams, if things just get too much for me, I either pretend to faint, or I just up and fly away.) If you see someone next September/Oct, flying or fake fainting, that will be me.. ha,ha,ha
Hello!

It's a nice question! :) It never happened to me, because Camino was my dream and if I had some troubles, I always said to myself - YOU ARE HERE, SO GO, ENJOY AND LIVE!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!

It's a nice question! :) It never happened to me, because Camino was my dream and if I had some troubles, I always said to myself - YOU ARE HERE, SO GO, ENJOY AND LIVE!
I can laugh my way through just about anything, so I will just go and have a great time. Thank you

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was expecting for those thought to come, convinced myself it was completely insane before I left and worried about regretting it.

But they never came.

(Edit to add: I remember when I left, an office mate said - when you're walking in the cold with 1 kilo of mud stuck to each shoe and hungry and tired, you'll think of us and miss sitting in the office. When it really did happen, I recalled what she said and laughed to myself. Who would rather sit in the office?! not me...)

I had heard that everyone would get to the moment of "what the hell am I doing here, I should quit". I kept waiting for it, but didn't happen, not even on my worst days. Had some (or some more...) moments of "Why did I not get here before", though, later followed by "why the hell am I going back home!?"

At the moment it's "Why am I still at home and don't go back already?"

:rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had heard that everyone would get to the moment of "what the hell am I doing here, I should quit". I kept waiting for it, but didn't happen, not even on my worst days. Had some (or some more...) moments of "Why did I not get here before", though, later followed by "why the hell am I going back home!?"

At the moment it's "Why am I still at home and don't go back already?"

:rolleyes:
Ha Ha, My thought is "why can't I go already"!:(

Joodle, you're planning your camino, which means you're somehow on the way already. Enjoy it, it's part of the experience :)

It's been far too long since I've posted!! The first day as I started up to Orisson and just before reaching the albergue by walking the road (I didn't think I could make the cross country climb!} and the vultures were circling over my head, FOR JUST A MOMENT I thought, "What am I doing here?" After reaching the albergue I realized that the daily challenge for the first few days was just to "walk through" that question! It never appeared again after the first week.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My diary of my first Camino in 2012 from SJPDP to Santiago is littered with "WTF"!!! But never once did I think of quitting and going home.
The first 3 weeks were tough. I did meet some wonderful people though. Then I met Cathy from Australia and we "clicked" and the rest of the way became so much more pleasant!
However.....my second Camino in September this year (Via De La Plata) ended after 2 weeks. I somehow injured the tendon in my right foot which became more and more painful. I rested and went by bus to the next couple of towns, but to no avail. There were SO few people on this Camino! I got depressed and just came home. Which I now regret because I could have made a couple of other choices.
I plan to return in 2016.......thinking of Camino Portuguese! With Cathy!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back