• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any pilgrims in their 80s?

SineadB

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2024
Hello,
My sister and I were hoping to walk the Camino Frances next May and my 81yo father has said he wants to join us. While it would be wonderful to have this experience with him, I would like to hear from anyone who has walked/walked with someone in their 80s. While he is a pretty fit and active man, he hasn't done anything like this and so we are trying to work out what might be the best route/timeframe/distance. He thinks with a bit of training he'll be fine to just go and do the whole Camino Frances, but very keen to hear any experiences. It is an age where the body is a bit worn down and more prone to injury! Many thanks in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This earlier thread should be helpful for you as a way to begin your research re walking as/with an older pilgrim. There are many of us forum members who try to "keep on keeping on" as we age.
May you three have a wonderful camino whenever/wherever you go.
In the truest sense, Carpe diem!

Last edited:
Hello,
My sister and I were hoping to walk the Camino Frances next May and my 81yo father has said he wants to join us. While it would be wonderful to have this experience with him, I would like to hear from anyone who has walked/walked with someone in their 80s. While he is a pretty fit and active man, he hasn't done anything like this and so we are trying to work out what might be the best route/timeframe/distance. He thinks with a bit of training he'll be fine to just go and do the whole Camino Frances, but very keen to hear any experiences. It is an age where the body is a bit worn down and more prone to injury! Many thanks in advance.
I am 85 and only stopped doing Camino when I was 80 mainly because of Covid ! Dunno about being a bit worn down, I am fairly slim and fit for my age :) Unfortunately , I have a severe balance problem left hand side which has got worse over the years and is incurable. I blame it on the years of major inactivity! Your father can do what he likes whenever he likes as long as he walks at HIS pace and stops whenever HE needs to! Those walking with him need to remember that. He is NOT on the moon and can catch buses, trains, taxis etc as and when HE needs to. It is CAMINO and NOT competition ! Don't set up false and unnecessary expectations and let Camino come to you. All the very best and Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 2013 at the age of 74 and have been back to Spain walking on various different Caminos de Santiago and parts of the Ruta Transpirenaica (GR 11) every year except the Covid Summer, until this September when I was on the Camino del Norte at 83 years old. My current plans are to spend this coming February and March in Spain, relaxing in Alicante on the Costa Blanca. On the first of April I will leave Alicante on foot heading for Santiago on the Camino Del Sureste at the age of 84. I probably won't get to Santiago, but will try. (https://www.facebook.com/OldHillwalker)

We did meet Ira (aged 90) and his 65 year girlfriend Raquel on our first Camino. They stayed in regular pilgrim albergues and carried their own packs. Both hard of hearing so at night heard some loud inquiries of "Did you take your medicine yet, Ira" to which he'd reply back loudly, "I'll take it when I damn well please!" Also one night Ira announced in the dark, "Raquel, move over a little, I'm cold."

Hello,
I turn 80 in December and am planning on walking the Via de la Plata in April. This will be my fourth annual Camino. I'm not anticipating any problems. Why should I? Blisters are the main problem and they effect people of all ages. Take it slowly, especially at first, and you and your father will be fine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I met a few people in their late 70s and 80s when I walked Frances. I heard of one gent who was 96 but I never met him. Most were walking alone or with similarly aged companions and a couple were walking with their grandchildren (30s). One of the grandparent/grandchild pairs were having some issues the first few days out of SJPdP as he (grandparent) needed more breaks and it was frustrating for her. He had no problems with the distances and hills, he just needed more time. Their solution was to walk together for the first hour or two of the day at his speed, taking breaks as he needed, and then she would go on ahead to walk alone or with other peregrinos and they would meet up at the end of the day. There were some guilty feelings about abandoning Grandpa the first few days of this routine, but they walked through them. They were in contact by phone if needed.

So yes, it's possible that anyone of any age can walk Camino. If he and you are serious, start with shorter walks together to get used to each other's pace. Get a lot of hills in, because they are no joke on Camino. Consider sending his pack ahead as that will make it easier. And discuss all the imaginary or likely scenarios and emotions you may encounter while walking Camino so that there is a plan of sorts.

Buen Camino!

Hello,
I have walked with those in their 80s. Those who were experienced camino walkers were fit and could walk self-supported. They all said that they had cut down on the number of miles each day. In my most honest opinion, if he has not walked a camino before, the best way to test his abilities is to do what one does on a camino: walk many days consecutively. It's not simply being able to walk 12 miles or whatever. It's doing it day after day after day.

In brief, if I were taking an 80 year old, I would monitor them carefully as they train. And if I had any doubts, not just "reasonable doubts," I would have them walk supported, which is so easy to do these days via correos. Have them carry as no more than a small day pack, if anything. You could even carry the small amount they might need as a pilgrim of old would do for a loved one.

I am 79, walk slowly and try to keep under-15 to 20 km a day (not always feasible). I carry my full pack. Some days I take a nap along the trail. I always ask for a lower bunk in the albergue. It is no longer easy. But as Rebekah Scott says it is a pilgrimage. It is not supposed to be easy. But it is so rewarding. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Entirely possible! I am going on 81 and have plans for another Camino. Began all this Camino walking at age 76 and have managed the Francés and the Primitivo carrying my backpack. Your father should do go preparation carrying the weight he would carry, wearing good shoes (HOKA!) He will know how he feels. And, anyway, everyone needs their own pacing. You can always meet up later. Proud of your father!

There was an 80+-year-old gent walking in my wave on the CF this past September. He was staying in municipals, not booking ahead at all, even though this was the worst of the "fall crush". After the first two days, his adult son had to return home for work, but he kept going. I would run into him occasionally, and he was still doing ok.
My recommendations for OP's friend: Check with his medical provider. Make sure that an adequate supply of medications can be arranged. Plan to send the pack ahead. Use walking poles. Mind the daily distance (and duration) as well as the weather (beastly hot won't be good). And start at Pamplona, not before.

Hello,
I hiked it at 77 (solo) moderate training (will do more for my next camino this spring when I will be 80) - I gave myself bag transport most days and just carried a daypack, (2 hip replacements) I started in Pamplona bc it was convenient for me, but had a hard 1st day so glad to have skipped the Pyrenese. By the time I got to Galicia, I was fit for the climb. I was slow, about 20k a day and took rest days in major cities. Give yourself permission to skip a stage or 2 if you need it. Wonderful memory!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Entirely possible! I am going on 81 and have plans for another Camino. Began all this Camino walking at age 76 and have managed the Francés and the Primitivo carrying my backpack. Your father should do go preparation carrying the weight he would carry, wearing good shoes (HOKA!) He will know how he feels. And, anyway, everyone needs their own pacing. You can always meet up later. Proud of your father!
Listen to Jospeh...especially his comment about not walking together. I always advise new walkers to deliberately not walk together from time to time, either walking alone to comtemplate and drink in nature, or to meet someone new to walk with.

Once I walked with an 83 year old who was so much fun to talk to. And he outpaced me, much to my embarrassment. But the camino (and a 65 year old lady, for which I accused him of robbing the cradle!) walked caminos as the joy of their lives. And it sure kept them young, not just physically, but young at heart.

We were walking the Salvador, which is almost all hills. I called ahead to arrange some albergue stays for them and they surprised my wife and I by renting an apartment for the four of us in Pajares,. Seeing them being so happy was such an inspiration for us.

In 2001, my 70 year old mom to my 39 went on camino.

Very early on we realized we couldn’t complete camino in our allotted time at her pace. Also, she was not quite fit enough to walk every day.

I walked.

Mom took buses and trains meeting up with me along the way.

We had a terrific time.

Hopefully your dad will be just fine at his pace; if not adjustments can be made.

Just make certain he walks the last 100 kilometers so he can qualify for Compostela.

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree that it is possible to walk a camino if you are 80. Presuming someone is reasonable fit and has some experience in fysical activities during a number of hours on succesive days

I wonder though how wise it is to start in St. Jean. It is probably the hardest stage of the CF, certainly if you would walk in one go all the way to Roncesvalles. If you want to walk from SjpdP, I would split it up in two and stay the night in Orisson or the Albergue Borda

Hello,
Our advice is to take it slower, put in a few rest days, stop 2 or 3 times for food/rest breaks and keep the kms to between 15 and 20 per day. We finished the Camino in May, 2023 (77 and 81 years). It's doable but in a reasonable fashion. You and your sister would probably do it much faster. Be patient.

Hello,
Even though I'm not yet 80, but only 77 years old, I'm still fascinated by the Caminos. Until 2019, I always walked around 20-25 (30) kilometres a day and mostly stayed in hostels. For the last two years, I've allowed myself the luxury of only walking around 15km/day where possible and not having to take part in the bed race by pre-booking overnight stays. This is a wonderful feeling and if I didn't feel bad, when the terrain had more metres in altitude, I didn't feel guilty about having my rucksack transported.
I now know that some "super pilgrims" are falling over me. Nevertheless, perhaps these are a few ideas that will bring your father even closer to the Camino and make it easier.

Translated with DeepL

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,
I walked the last part of the Camino Frances from Ponferrada to Santiago (222 km via Samos) with my 80-year-old aunt this fall. She was not an experienced walker, and had never done the Camino before, but had always wanted to. She walked every day at home to train for it. I made arrangements for her pack to be transported each day and had reservations in private albergues so that she could take a nap every afternoon when we arrived. We walked 10 to 17 km a day and took rode Victor’s horses up to O Cebreiro. It was very different than the self supported entire Camino Frances I had walked previously, but honestly, slowing down and doing it at her pace made it a whole different experience for me. I would definitely go with an older relative again. Go for it!

Hello,
Hello,
My husband is 87 and I am 82 and we have completed many Camino routes together. We would have done another major hike (the Robert Louis Stevenson route in France) this year if I hadn't tripped and slightly fractured a femur. Both of us are quite capable of doing Camino walks--and we carry our own backpacks. IMO age is not the determining factor-- fitness, health, and determination are. My most recent Camino book, "Healing Miles: Gifts from the Caminos Norte and Primitivo" was based on our hiking these routes when we were in our late 70s.

My husband is 87 and I am 82 and we have completed many Camino routes together. We would have done another major hike (the Robert Louis Stevenson route in France) this year if I hadn't tripped and slightly fractured a femur. Both of us are quite capable of doing Camino walks--and we carry our own backpacks. IMO age is not the determining factor-- fitness, health, and determination are. My most recent Camino book, "Healing Miles: Gifts from the Caminos Norte and Primitivo" was based on our hiking these routes when we were in our late 70s.
Love and respect. Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,
Thanks so much for all the great advice and sharing of experiences from everyone! We all really just want to know what to expect for him and how to plan accordingly so he has a wonderful time, so this is all so helpful.

Hello,

It’s just a number!

De Colores

Bogong

Hello,
I have walked with people in their 80's. Some carry their own packs. Some send them ahead as they see fit. Many prearrange albergues or hotels. Most hike with trekking poles. Most expect to take longer than 35 days to complete the CF.

2 years ago I met a nice couple at the albergue in Valcarlos on CR about 10k up the mountain from St. Jean. He, soon to be 80, and she, soon to be 78. They were not skinny. They carried their own packs (larger than mine), made their own tea and breakfast--which they shared with me!!. They had started from Le Puy about 800 km back with only another 800 to go. They said they started doing the Caminos after they retired 17 years prior, but had to shorten their daily distances to a maximum of 20 km as they got older.

I would never discourage anyone from carrying their own pack or starting in St. Jean if I thought they were adequately trained and prepared, but sadly, most first timers are not. Most on the CF are first timers, based on the many hundreds of Pilgrims I have met and spoken with over the last 8 years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,
Good on your dad . I hope when I'm 80 + (another 7 years) that I'll be up for another Camino.
The first day out of St Jean is really tough so perhaps break the day up and stay at Orrison overnight
Good luck to you and Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,
During covid, I dreamed up doing something grand for my 80th (on Oct 12 this year 2023) and knocking a biggie off my bucket list. What better than the El Camino? From St Jean PdeP all the way. Arrived 21 Oct. The big 80 happened in Villafranca. All very wonderful. I met 3 who were 80 or over, but of the 4 of us only 2 did the 780 kms. Poles and high quality footware (Salomon) are critical. Also, take two days to cross the Pyranees. Use Express Bourricot's shuttle service to La Vierge de l'Orisson on day 1, and onwards from La Vierge on day 2 when hiking to Roncesvalles. (Express B are in the main street of St Jean PdeP. ) Hi from New Zealand.

Hello,
I suggest you start in Irun and walk the camino vasco,avoiding the hard day over the mountains. It is easy to get to as there is a train from Biarritz,and although it has some upside and downs it is prettier than the early frances,and meets the Frances quite early.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.