• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking in March?

Rachie Bee

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hi All!
My husband Steven and I will be walking our first Camino at the end of March (2018) I’m TOTALLY nervous and I’m wondering if anyone else is walking around that time? Or if anyone has any advice about walking at that time of year?
We will be starting in SJPDP

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All!
My husband Steven and I will be walking our first Camino at the end of March (2018) I’m TOTALLY nervous and I’m wondering if anyone else is walking around that time? Or if anyone has any advice about walking at that time of year?
buen camino there will be many people walking the same direction you want be by yourself and you will have a good time

Hi Rachie Bee and welcome to the forum. I started from SJPdP on 2 April last year. Wonderful time of the year to walk with lots of spring flowers and the sound of cuckoos. Expect some rain and maybe even snow on the higher passes. You probably know that the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles over the top of the mountain will still be closed in late March but I enjoyed walking via Valcarlos.
Buen camino, peregrina.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m wondering if anyone else is walking around that time...
Based on statistics from the Santiago Pilgrim office, you can expect over 100 people per day to be leaving SJPP. Be prepared for absolutely any weather, by bringing several light layers, including rain gear.

That is a great time of year to start. Have fun!

Hello and welcome, Rachie!
And take a deep breath...it's just walking and you know how to do that!
As others have said, you won't be alone.

March is my favorite month to walk, because the crowds have yet to arrive, but there are still people walking - and the earth is waking up from its winter sleep. But it can be cold, and wet (or occasionally snowy).
You can encounter 3 seasons in one day, so do bring layers that you can peel off - and warmth for head and hands is essential.
Buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A beautiful month indeed!!
And yes very sensible advice about the layering of clothes. May I add not to forget a scarf or bandana type cloth to put before your mouth and cheeks. I experienced some dreadful hail in March and the scarf was a godsend.

Enjoy the preparations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leaving SJPP March 24th. Travelling to Leon, then a quick dash away to Madrid to pick up my teenage son, then back to walk the rest of the way + Finnisterre

Thank you very much for your supportive advice! I suffer from depression and severe anxiety so it’ll be a huge achievement for me! I’ve been shut in my comfort zone for too long! Great advice re warm clothing.

Having many of the same thoughts! We arrive in Barcelona on 5 April with the plan of starting the Camino Frances in SJPP shortly thereafter. We need to get from Barcelona to SJPP-perhaps train to Pamplona and bus or taxi? Reading threads, I’m not sure whether or not to consider Apr winter ;) ? Is there a good chance that Orisson will be open? (I’ve had trouble making a reservation on their website).

I can’t believe this is going to happen-in 3 months!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thank you very much for your tips... i would want to go with you guys in March but i am not sure if i would be able to.

Hi All!
I leave SKPDP alone on 11th March. The thought of the Camino has kept going through the darkest of times. It’s my first, and at 70 probably my only Camino. I think you may easily catch me up/overtake me as I can’t walk that many miles a day. There is so much good advice on this forum, indeed every day gives me a little more confidence. I just hope I find that so have taken the right clothes. I wear my walking boots all day now, even round the house! I’ve also invested in a couple of Nordic walking poles and some lessons. I hope to really get in some training during February, but fear that my Norfolk landscape won’t prepare me for the Pyrenees. Buen Camino

Leaving SJPP March 24th. Travelling to Leon, then a quick dash away to Madrid to pick up my teenage son, then back to walk the rest of the way + Finnisterre

and that plan has changed, and will probably change again. But as of now, only travelling from Leon. But it will be fun, never the less.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back