• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking the Camino Ingles in the spring?

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
I am thinking of doing the Camino Ingles sometime in April or early May from Ferrol to Santiago. Since I am in my late seventies,I will be using a company to arrange my walk and staying in small hotels or Airbnbs. Is anyone planning to do a similar Camino during that time of the year? Has anybody used a company for this particular Camino route and if so, how would you rate them?
Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, where to start.

I’m afraid the age and gender cards carry no weight here. You’re just about considered a grown-up by most of the regulars, and the senior female contingent comprise many of the more adventurous.

However: a first-time camino can seem daunting. The secret is (and don’t tell everyone) - those of us who have returned time and time again know it’s not especially difficult or complicated.

You can, of course, use a company to facilitate it for you. Nothing wrong with that and I’m sure recommendations will follow.

On the other hand, you could look out ‘correos’ for bag transport and look at Gronze or (excuse me) booking.com or airb&b for accommodation. None are difficult to use.

Well, where to start.

I’m afraid the age and gender cards carry no weight here. You’re just about considered a grown-up by most of the regulars, and the senior female contingent comprise many of the more adventurous.

However: a first-time camino can seem daunting. The secret is (and don’t tell everyone) - those of us who have returned time and time again know it’s not especially difficult or complicated.

You can, of course, use a company to facilitate it for you. Nothing wrong with that and I’m sure recommendations will follow.

On the other hand, you could look out ‘correos’ for bag transport and look at Gronze or (excuse me) booking.com or airb&b for accommodation. None are difficult to use.
Hi, and thank you for your prompt response! This is actually my fourth Camino adventure:

#1 just north of Porto to Santiago on the Portuguese in 2019 with a group of family members. We we did use a luggage service and stayed in Airbnb’s and hotels, but split up the tasks of acquiring those on our own.

#2 Sarria to Santiago by myself (but with a company that does not offer the Ingles) in 2021.

#3 Ourense to Santiago on the Via de la Plata with two family members using a company that I was not happy with in 2022.

I thought 2022 was my last Camino, but it seems to be calling me again! As with the Via de la Plata, I’m not sure there are a lot of accommodations along the inglĂ©s route, and I’m not interested in Albergues which is why I think a company with a self guided tour is for me. I would love to hear any other insights you may have, though!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, and thank you for your prompt response! This is actually my fourth Camino adventure:

#1 just north of Porto to Santiago on the Portuguese in 2019 with a group of family members. We we did use a luggage service and stayed in Airbnb’s and hotels, but split up the tasks of acquiring those on our own.

#2 Sarria to Santiago by myself (but with a company that does not offer the Ingles) in 2021.

#3 Ourense to Santiago on the Via de la Plata with two family members using a company that I was not happy with in 2022.

I thought 2022 was my last Camino, but it seems to be calling me again! As with the Via de la Plata, I’m not sure there are a lot of accommodations along the inglĂ©s route, and I’m not interested in Albergues which is why I think a company with a self guided tour is for me. I would love to hear any other insights you may have, though!
You’re certainly correct insofar as the level of accommodation on the ingles. It’s 4 or 5, years since I travelled that way and I used small hotels and private lodging, all booked ahead. The attraction to me was that the route relies more on the infrastructure which serves the local population rather than being provided purely for the camino. I do think that the route has become more popular in the meantime.

My apologies for my incorrect presumption as to your experience.

I am thinking of doing the Camino Ingles sometime in April or early May from Ferrol to Santiago. Since I am in my late seventies,I will be using a company to arrange my walk and staying in small hotels or Airbnbs. Is anyone planning to do a similar Camino during that time of the year? Has anybody used a company for this particular Camino route and if so, how would you rate them?
Thank you!
I am walking the Ingles in September with a friend around your age. We booked our flights yesterday. We also looked at Gronze for our accommodation, as the route is getting more popular there seems to be more opening. We are splitting the stages and the longest we will walk is stage 2 (19,7k) although there is also a possibility to split this stage. We are looking at staying in a mixture of hostels and small guest houses but wherever we are looking at hostels there are also hotels.
Enjoy your Camino whatever you decide.
By the way I am just a spring chicken at 70.
Muddy-mama

I am walking the Ingles in September with a friend around your age. We booked our flights yesterday. We also looked at Gronze for our accommodation, as the route is getting more popular there seems to be more opening. We are splitting the stages and the longest we will walk is stage 2 (19,7k) although there is also a possibility to split this stage. We are looking at staying in a mixture of hostels and small guest houses but wherever we are looking at hostels there are also hotels.
Enjoy your Camino whatever you decide.
By the way I am just a spring chicken at 70.
Muddy-mama
Thank you so much for your reply. I just looked at Gronze which I was unfamiliar with. Do you mean that you searched the stages on Gronze to choose accommodations? I don’t see where accommodations are listed on that site. Also, I’m wondering how much you paid for your flight and where did you fly into? On my three past Caminos, I have flown into Madrid, then taken the train to Santiago. I know many people fly in and out of Santiago but I love the thrill of seeing Santiago for the first time as I finish my pilgrimage. By the way, Muddy Mama is an awesome nickname!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for your reply. I just looked at Gronze which I was unfamiliar with. Do you mean that you searched the stages on Gronze to choose accommodations? I don’t see where accommodations are listed on that site. Also, I’m wondering how much you paid for your flight and where did you fly into? On my three past Caminos, I have flown into Madrid, then taken the train to Santiago. I know many people fly in and out of Santiago but I love the thrill of seeing Santiago for the first time as I finish my pilgrimage. By the way, Muddy Mama is an awesome nickname!
@Momwiz wiz, on Gronze accommodations are listed in each stage page as in https://www.gronze.com/etapa/ferrol/pontedeume Gronze do their best to list all available accommodations that are on, or close to the Camino route. One of the problems with Berking.con and AirBed are that places that claim to be "on" the Camino are often expensive and complex taxi-rides away. Their algorithms assume you are driving a car.

Meanwhile a search on Godgle produced 18 companies offering to shepherd you down the Camino Ingles, at a price. This company I have used, not for a Camino but they offered a service I was satisfied with: https://www.macsadventure.com/tour-...actids=17,18,19,20,12,13,23,32,33,34&rbdid=92

Last edited:
Tincatinker has already answer your question about gronze.com there is nothing more I can add to that.
I am from the UK and will be flying Gatwick to A Coruna then will get either a bus or train to Ferrol. It has cost us ÂŁ47 each one way. we will book the return a few days before.
When my grandson was little he couldn't say Grandma so he called me mama and it stuck. The muddy came from the fact whenever I took him out we came back covered in mud and I was also an archaeologist.

Tincatinker has already answer your question about gronze.com there is nothing more I can add to that.
I am from the UK and will be flying Gatwick to A Coruna then will get either a bus or train to Ferrol. It has cost us ÂŁ47 each one way. we will book the return a few days before.
When my grandson was little he couldn't say Grandma so he called me mama and it stuck. The muddy came from the fact whenever I took him out we came back covered in mud and I was also an archaeologist.
Mud and archaeology in the UK always goes with the turf - as a student in that field I remember that big lad, big shovel, big hole was the general rule. No fancy trowels for me! After that the hills in all weathers was muddy enough. That said I remember a particular 2 days on Camino Frances being a mud fest!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you!
We will be walking the Camino Ingles early April and this is our Camino number 6. and have use an excellent company Spainismore a couple of times. We could use albergues, but as a very heavy snorer, countless pilgrims are extremely happy that we don't use albergues. We are also in our 70's.!

I used a company called "Follow the Camino" last spring on the Ingles. I was very happy with them, even had an accomodation change that worked out seamlessly. As others already mentioned. there are lots of operators that will look after your needs.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back