• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2023

1elantra

Time of past OR future Camino
way of St James
Hi all. Im planning on walking full camino frances in April 2023 and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please. Are all hostels and aubergines situated along the camino route or mostly within the town. Walking solo and wondering how I find my accom in each town. Hoping to book all accom before I go, so which sight is the best to use? Also any suggestions on which ones to consider. Probably looking for private room, and will need luggage transfer companies. Is the camino well marked? Been known to get lost lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all. Im planning on walking full camino frances in April 2023 and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please. Are all hostels and aubergines situated along the camino route or mostly within the town. Walking solo and wondering how I find my accom in each town. Hoping to book all accom before I go, so which sight is the best to use? Also any suggestions on which ones to consider. Probably looking for private room, and will need luggage transfer companies. Is the camino well marked? Been known to get lost lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Buen Camino!

Most of the towns are small enough that it's usually very easy to find your accommodation.
You can also use one of the many Camino apps like (my favorite) Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim, which have maps with GPS built in. They also list the accommodations, and have links to contact via email or phone, or for those properties that use it, Booking.com.

I would discourage you from booking all of your accommodations before you start. You probably won't know how far you are comfortable walking each day, and you may need to alter your plans in the case of illness or injury. I would recommend booking up through Pamplona, then book a day or two ahead as you go.

There are several companies that provide luggage transfer on the Camino. One of which is Correos, the Spanish post office. If you book the and pre-pay for your trip ahead of time you can get a discount. But you can remain flexible and let them know day by day where to pick up and deliver your bag.

The Camino is very well marked, and if you use one of the apps with GPS you can always find your way even if you get a little turned around or lost.

Buen Camino!

Most of the towns are small enough that it's usually very easy to find your accommodation.
You can also use one of the many Camino apps like (my favorite) Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim, which have maps with GPS built in. They also list the accommodations, and have links to contact via email or phone, or for those properties that use it, Booking.com.

I would discourage you from booking all of your accommodations before you start. You probably won't know how far you are comfortable walking each day, and you may need to alter your plans in the case of illness or injury. I would recommend booking up through Pamplona, then book a day or two ahead as you go.

There are several companies that provide luggage transfer on the Camino. One of which is Correos, the Spanish post office. If you book the and pre-pay for your trip ahead of time you can get a discount. But you can remain flexible and let them know day by day where to pick up and deliver your bag.

The Camino is very well marked, and if you use one of the apps with GPS you can always find your way even if you get a little turned around or lost.
Thank you very much. Good advice re accomm. Ill take a look at the transfer sights you noted, thanks again

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Trecile's information is great. And bag transfer is best (in my opinion, but I would never book a whole Camino in advance) organised the night before. Its very easy, there are a number of companies, just pop the address on the envelope provided, and the money inside. Super easy. Ive used Jacotrans with good results, others use other companies, They're all pretty good I believe.
If I book accommodation its the night before. with the exception of the first few days up to Pamplona, and Astorga (which being a tourist town as well as a pilgrim town) can be tricky to find places close to the centre.

And a recommendation, don't close yourself off to albergues, Ive used a mix of albergue dormitories and private rooms such as Casa Rural, and some of my best memories were the albergues.

Private rooms are great if you snore, have special health requirements etc, but the albergue dormitories can be great sources of camaraderie and knowledge.

As for finding your place, its pretty easy, and also by the time you reach Galicia, they have town maps at the beginnings of the towns. I always look for a place as close to the village/town/city centre as possible. That's where the church/cathedral will be - right on the Camino.

And another recommendation if you're prone to getting lost , check the way out of town the night before. Saves backtracking. I do a nightly recce. And a word to the wise, following a group of other pilgrims is no guarantee you are on the Way. Getting lost en masse is quite common.
Remember not all arrows point to Santiago - some may point to a bar or cafe off the trail. Its not unknown for an enterprising bar owner to try and divert pilgrims to their establishment.

Last edited:
Trecile's information is great. And bag transfer is best (in my opinion, but I would never book a whole Camino in advance) organised the night before. Its very easy, there are a number of companies, just pop the address on he envelope provided, and the money inside. Super easy. Ive used Jacotrans with good results, others use other companies, They're all pretty good I believe.
If I book accommodation its the night before. with the exception of the first few days up to Pamplona, and Astorga (which being a tourist town as well as a tourirst town) can be tricky to find places close to the centre.

And a recommendation, don't close yourself off to albergues, Ive used a mix of albergue dormitories and private rooms such as Casa Rural, and some of my best memories were the albergues.

Private rooms are great if you snore, have special health requirements etc, but the albergue dormitories can be great sources of camaraderie and knowledge.

As for finding your place, its pretty easy, and also by the time you reach Galicia, they have town maps at the beginnings of the towns. I always look for a place as close to the village/town/city centre as possible. That's where the church/cathedral will be - right on the Camino.

And another recommendation if you're prone to getting lost , check the way out of town the night before. Saves backtracking. I do a nightly recce. And a word to the wise, following a group of other pilgrims is no guarantee you are on the way. Getting lost en masse is quite common.
Remember not all arrows point to Santiago - some may point to a bar or cafe off the trail. Its not unknown for an enterprising bar owner to try and divert pilgrims to their establishment.
Thanks very much. Ill definately rethink booking all acc. Alwsys good to get others imput.

Trecile's information is great. And bag transfer is best (in my opinion, but I would never book a whole Camino in advance) organised the night before. Its very easy, there are a number of companies, just pop the address on the envelope provided, and the money inside. Super easy. Ive used Jacotrans with good results, others use other companies, They're all pretty good I believe.
If I book accommodation its the night before. with the exception of the first few days up to Pamplona, and Astorga (which being a tourist town as well as a tourirst town) can be tricky to find places close to the centre.

And another recommendation if you're prone to getting lost , check the way out of town the night before. Saves backtracking. I do a nightly recce. And a word to the wise, following a group of other pilgrims is no guarantee you are on the way. Getting lost en masse is quite common.
Good advice about checking the way out of town the night before.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While I am probably too far down the list for anyone to read, I shall venture forth regardless with my personal observations and recommendations based on first hand experience. I started my 1st (of 4) Camino Frances at the tender age of 70 years, 7 months, (solo) with a pack weight of 14 kilos, 4 May, 2015. My intent was to walk about 25 km a day. With my pack, and two trekking poles.

I though I had done my homework well, and was willing to go along with the oft expressed "go like a pilgrim, don't worry about finding a place to stay." Well, that worked, but no so well. I really did not know much about reserving ahead.

I was second to last arriving at Zubiri and was just able to get a bed at the municipal albergue. Had to wander a bit in Pamplona to find a bed in a private albergue. Logrono was an exercise in frustration, following the map provided at the Pilgrim's Information Office. Fortunately a fellow pilgrim that I had met the day before took me to his albergue. But it was not until Najera were I learned the true value of making reservations ahead.

I arrived at the albergue first, before it opened, and put my pack by the door, and went to sit on the stone wall to await opening. By the time it opened there was a line of pilgrims but no worry, I was first in line. Not so fast. When the door opened and we entered the nice young lady asked the assembled masses which of us had reservations? Reservations? About half. When she had settled the those with reservations she came back and took the first four standing patiently in line. I was one of the four. The rest had to go in search of other lodging. After checking in I went back to the front desk to ask about "reservations". She explained the system to me and gave to me a recommended name and number.

From that time on I made reservations ahead. On that first Camino I reserved about 5 nights ahead. On numbers 2, 3 and this last one, Oct - Nov 2021, I reserved the whole trip in advance. Worked like a charm. Especially for this last one which I started just days after turning 77, and lots of services along the way were shuttered for the rest of the year. Having reservations in advance gave me the opportunity to give to my beloved wife a complete list of where I would be and how to contact me should she need to.

I have used both Onlypilgrims.com (Jesus) and Booking.com with great success. Jesus helped me a couple of times when I needed someone to speak Spanish beyond my limited ability. My personal experiences are different than others, but for me...your Camino is your Camino. Jesus is hot on my next planned Camino, April - May, Lisbon to Santiago. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While I am probably too far down the list for anyone to read, I shall venture forth regardless with my personal observations and recommendations based on first hand experience. I started my 1st (of 4) Camino Frances at the tender age of 70 years, 7 months, (solo) with a pack weight of 4 kilos, 4 May, 2015. My intent was to walk about 25 km a day. With my pack, and two trekking poles.

I though I had done my homework well, and was willing to go along with the oft expressed "go like a pilgrim, don't worry about finding a place to stay." Well, that worked, but no so well. I really did not know much about reserving ahead.

I was second to last arriving at Zubiri and was just able to get a bed at the municipal albergue. Had to wander a bit in Pamplona to find a bed in a private albergue. Logrono was an exercise in frustration, following the map provided at the Pilgrim's Information Office. Fortunately a fellow pilgrim that I had met the day before took me to his albergue. But it was not until Najera were I learned the true value of making reservations ahead.

I arrived at the albergue first, before it opened, and put my pack by the door, and went to sit on the stone wall to await opening. By the time it opened there was a line of pilgrims but no worry, I was first in line. Not so fast. When the door opened and we entered the nice young lady asked the assembled masses which of us had reservations? Reservations? About half. When she had settled the those with reservations she came back and took the first four standing patiently in line. I was one of the four. The rest had to go in search of other lodging. After checking in I went back to the front desk to ask about "reservations". She explained the system to me and gave to me a recommended name and number.

From that time on I made reservations ahead. On that first Camino I reserved about 5 nights ahead. On numbers 2, 3 and this last one, Oct - Nov 2021, I reserved the whole trip in advance. Worked like a charm. Especially for this last one which I started just days after turning 77, and lots of services along the way were shuttered for the rest of the year. Having reservations in advance gave me the opportunity to give to my beloved wife a complete list of where I would be and how to contact me should she need to.

I have used both Onlypilgrims.com (Jesus) and Booking.com with great success. Jesus helped me a couple of times when I needed someone to speak Spanish beyond my limited ability. My personal experiences are different than others, but for me...your Camino is your Camino. Jesus is hot on my next planned Camino, April - May, Lisbon to Santiago. Buen Camino.
Hello Buz. Thank you so much for the above. My reasoning for booking the whole trip is so I am able to focus on other things and dont want the distraction or worry about searching for accommodation. My intent is to totally disconnect from modern tech, apart from anything outside my control, and enjoy the experience. As a solo traveller it is also important that family know roughly where I am. Thanks again

Buen Camino!

Is there an English version for Wise Camino. I got it and it’s in Spanish. Unfortunately my comprehension of Spanish is not very good.

While I am probably too far down the list for anyone to read, I shall venture forth regardless with my personal observations and recommendations based on first hand experience. I started my 1st (of 4) Camino Frances at the tender age of 70 years, 7 months, (solo) with a pack weight of 4 kilos, 4 May, 2015. My intent was to walk about 25 km a day. With my pack, and two trekking poles.

That was 14 kilos, not 4.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is there an English version for Wise Camino. I got it and it’s in Spanish. Unfortunately my comprehension of Spanish is not very good.
As others, have noted, yes. Great planning guide.

Hi! I’m also planning on leaving SJPDP around 13/14 April, just booked my flights from Brisbane, Australia… first Camino also. When are you planning on starting?

Hi! I’m also planning on leaving SJPDP around 13/14 April, just booked my flights from Brisbane, Australia… first Camino also. When are you planning on starting?
Hi Jill havent confirmed yet. Probably around similar dates to you. Ill be flying from Melb and need to look at flights etc. Happy to keep in touch

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Am also planning on starting from SJPDP on 13 April! Perhaps we will all meet there?

Last April, started from Pamplona, but because of Covid, had started reserving beds in Feb. since many albergues were not open or only at 50% capacity. Then in March, everything opened up. Still had my 40 nights reserved and was quite happy with it. This allowed me to search out the albergues that fit what I wanted to have, whether it was a single bed, a communal meal, pod beds with curtains, or at the least, a bottom bunk. This was my 4th Camino, so knew that 15-20km was my desired walking day. Had never transported my pack before but a cold laid me low in Burgos for a day in a private room, so decided to start sending a small bag ahead the next day. Made my life easier, and found myself doing it the rest of the Camino. Will I do this again? Maybe, maybe not. Am 67, so why not take a couple of kg weight off my back. Even though my pack is only 6kg, walking with 4kg. is a tiny bit easier.

Planning for next April, have pretty much picked out the towns to stay in and the albergues, but still doing research. This is fun for me and part of the excitement and anticipation. Being a slow walker, it is nice to know a bed is available at the albergue of choice, not the left overs. There is no stress or worry, my day is relaxed and enjoyable.

Am also planning on starting from SJPDP on 13 April! Perhaps we will all meet there?

Last April, started from Pamplona, but because of Covid, had started reserving beds in Feb. since many albergues were not open or only at 50% capacity. Then in March, everything opened up. Still had my 40 nights reserved and was quite happy with it. This allowed me to search out the albergues that fit what I wanted to have, whether it was a single bed, a communal meal, pod beds with curtains, or at the least, a bottom bunk. This was my 4th Camino, so knew that 15-20km was my desired walking day. Had never transported my pack before but a cold laid me low in Burgos for a day in a private room, so decided to start sending a small bag ahead the next day. Made my life easier, and found myself doing it the rest of the Camino. Will I do this again? Maybe, maybe not. Am 67, so why not take a couple of kg weight off my back. Even though my pack is only 6kg, walking with 4kg. is a tiny bit easier.

Planning for next April, have pretty much picked out the towns to stay in and the albergues, but still doing research. This is fun for me and part of the excitement and anticipation. Being a slow walker, it is nice to know a bed is available at the albergue of choice, not the left overs. There is no stress or worry, my day is relaxed and enjoyable.
Yep Im thinking the same. No stress each day worrying about where to collapse each day lol. Maybe see you on trail April 2023. Beun Camino

Buen Camino!

Hi Ive looked at Correos for transfer of my suitcase, but I saw it is only in Spain. What suggestions or who would I use to offload my suitcase in SJPP to Santiago or SJPP to Roncesvalles please

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ive looked at Correos for transfer of my suitcase, but I saw it is only in Spain. What suggestions or who would I use to offload my suitcase in SJPP to Santiago or SJPP to Roncesvalles please
In SJPP you can use Express Bouricott to send your pack to Roncesvalles, or to send a suitcase to Santiago.
I have sent a suitcase to Santiago with them twice, and the service is great. It may seem a little expensive, but when you compare it to other methods it really isn't. A big plus for me is that they store the luggage at a hotel in Santiago where you can pick it up at your convenience since they have a 24/7 reception desk.

In SJPP you can use Express Bouricott to send your pack to Roncesvalles, or to send a suitcase to Santiago.
I have sent a suitcase to Santiago with them twice, and the service is great. It may seem a little expensive, but when you compare it to other methods it really isn't. A big plus for me is that they store the luggage at a hotel in Santiago where you can pick it up at your convenience since they have a 24/7 reception desk.

Oh thats excellent. Thank you. Would I need to book in advance or just turn up?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh thats excellent. Thank you. Would I need to book in advance or just turn up?
You can just turn up. If you are sending a suitcase to Santiago they will want to see it to make sure that's it not too big. Then you will fill out paperwork and they will give you a tag to attach to your bag. When you set out on the Camino in the morning you just leave the bag at your accommodation.

I missed this question last month. The Wise Pilgrim app should be in English. If you have any questions about the app, the developer Michael (@wisepilgrim ) is a forum member.

Hello! My husband James and I are also planning on leaving SJPDP at the beginning of April. Our first Camino I am looking for flights now from the US at the end of March.
Buen Camino, Tammy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.