• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

april , good date ?

colly2000

thinking of finishing my Camino in April from Leon to Santiago , has anyone walked in April ? just wondering what the weather will be like and if many people will be walking as well ?
any advice would be greatly appreciated
Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paul, April next year could be great! If its anything like this April it could be clear, lots of sunshine and no snow or blizzards like in previous years!
I gave advice to a pilgrim not to walk in early April because there are usually late snows and she could have trouble in the high places (like the Irago Mountains outside of Leon or at O Cebreiro.) But, it was a really hot April and there was no snow.
I also recommend pilgrims walk in September. We had days over over 31oC in September. Go figure! Who can predict the weather these days? England and Wales have just had the hottest 1 October on record.
From the Met Office:
Provisionally, the highest temperature of the day was 29.9 °C, recorded at Gravesend in Kent. This beats the previous record of 29.4 °C recorded at March in Cambridgeshire, which has stood since 1 October 1985. Wales also has a new national record, 28.2 °C was recorded at Hawarden, Flintshire. The previous record was 26.4 °C recorded at Ruthin, Denbighshire, again on 1 October 1985. These new records come at the end of an increasingly hot week across many parts of the UK and we may well see record breaking temperatures in some areas again on Sunday.

I have walked several times in April, and liked the weather. It may rain a lot, so be prepared for that, and temperatures will drop at night and in the higher altitudes, so take an appropriate sleeping bag. You will be ahead of bed bug season, but you still might want to treat your sleeping bag and pack to keep them away.

Leon to Santiago takes approximately 14 days, and you will start with a few days that are not too strenuous. After Astorga, the terrain heads up to the highest point on the Camino at the Iron Cross.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Loved walking in April this year. Started on the 12th of April from Roncesvalles and took an easy pace , reached SdC on the 17th of May. Never had a problem with finding an albergue. My sleepingbag came in handy because most nights temperatures seriously dropped. Only had two days of rain. : etapa into Burgos and the one to El Burgo Ranero. Otherwise perfect weather. Highest it got was 28 degrees ( the walk to O' Cebreiro ).

Absolutely beautiful time to travel. Weather extremely variable but do take care with school holiday times and above all Easter, Semana Santa, to avoid the crowds - do not know when it falls next year, earlie I think.
I remember this well in Pamplona with the night time processions - wonderous and deeply moving and so different from the external exhibitions of the south - Feria de Abril in Sevilla being the nadir for me personally.
I'm most probably looking for March, quieter times and I do like the contemplative aspect of the leaden skies.
All the best.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
April is a great time to walk-if you get some snow on the high ground well that can be fun to and makes you appreciate the 'gentle rain' of Galicia!
Next year Easter Sunday falls on April the 8th but don't worry too much about the crowds, in fact walking during Holy week provided some of the highlights of my Camino Frances.
Have a wonderful journey.
Nell

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paul:

Walked March/April this year, weather was great (some snow first day March 23rd out of SJPdP and 4 days of rain the whole hike) looking forward to walking again this Spring. That said, I am sure weather can very greatly year to year.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.