• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rethinking start date?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Probably an unhelpful question, or one not easily answered, but should I rethink which route I take? Had decided on the Camino Frances starting on the 20th September, but having spent some time reading through different forum 'conversations', its clearly a very busy year and as a result, stressful at times due to the laws of supply and demand. Might it be a little quieter by mid-late September?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I expect it will be quieter toward the end of the month. Another consideration is how long you expect it to take, and the cooler weather you may experience toward the end based on that, which may alter your packing list. But I truly believe a lot of the panic about lack of accommodation is based on inexperience and fear, resulting in the relatively new phenomenon of people thinking they must stay in certain towns, and pre-booking in only places that allow one to book ahead. As seen in recent posts, many are not booking ahead, and are having no problem finding beds, as non-bookable places sit half empty. For comfort, maybe book your first 3-4 days. You will get a comfort level, then maybe stop at a place just short of, or just beyond the major stops. You will be glad you did. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are on the Camino right now in the super busy Sarria to Santiago stretch Our albergue is less than half full and as @Walkerooni indicated, we are between stage towns. None of our non-reservable locations have been full and last night, due to some physical limitations, I booked the next 4 nights from here to Santiago without any stress or difficulty.

I have seen literally thousands of walkers each day this week and continue to be confident that if health permitted that we could walk all the way to Santiago without stressing about finding a bed and without reserving. It is about your comfort with the unknown and your confidence that something will be available. Look into yourself and decide what you can handle. If it causes you a lot of anxiety, then by all means book ahead. For us the stress of booking ahead is far greater than just walking until we are ready to stop for the day.

Last edited:
We are on the Camino right now in the super busy Sarria to Santiago stretch Our albergue is less than half full and as @Walkerooni indicated, we are between stage towns. None of our non-reservable locations have been full and last night, due to some physical limitations, I booked the next 4 nights from here to Santiago without any stress or difficulty.

I have seen literally thousands of walkers each day this week and continue to be confident that if health permitted that we could walk all the way to Santiago without stressing about finding a bed and without reserving. It is about your comfort with the unknown and your confidence that something will be available. Look into yourself and decide what you can handle. If it causes you a lot of anxiety, then by all means book ahead. For us the stress of booking ahead is far greater than just walking until we are ready to stop for the day.
Hola! I will be starting my first camino (francés) in Septiembre. May I just ask : are there albergues that are not listed on all the apps? Where does one find out about the non-reservable locations? Like some other camino novices, I have gotten a bit panicked when trying to reserve a bed on Booking and finding so many places full. And what is a good strategy for finding a bed when arriving in town? Do you just try the first albergue you see, and move on from there if full, like finding a room on the interstate? Not quite sure how this all works, but trying to be Zen about it…Very much appreciate the wisdom of the forum!

Most municipal, Xunta, parroquials, donativos don't take reservations. They usually start with Albergue de Peregrinos or Hospital de Peregrinos. There are a few that do, but the app may tell you depending on the app or guidebook. Private albergues often, but don't always take reservations.

Booking is ok, but just know that most places only release a few beds to them due to the large commission taken out, so even if booking says there is no room, it is likely there will be one if you call directly or use WhatsApp.

I usually have a place in mind that I am aiming for and if they are full, then I go to plan B. We always stop early in the day as I don't like to walk in the heat and Phil can't physically go further. Stopping early also helps.

Hola! I will be starting my first camino (francés) in Septiembre. May I just ask : are there albergues that are not listed on all the apps? Where does one find out about the non-reservable locations? Like some other camino novices, I have gotten a bit panicked when trying to reserve a bed on Booking and finding so many places full. And what is a good strategy for finding a bed when arriving in town? Do you just try the first albergue you see, and move on from there if full, like finding a room on the interstate? Not quite sure how this all works, but trying to be Zen about it…Very much appreciate the wisdom of the forum!

This website is very accurate.
Also includes those places that are not on a bookingsite.

As an FYI for any others reading for info.. just because booking dot com says only 3 places left doesn't mean its full .. contact albergues direct if you can

September will be busy but don' let that concern you, it has always been a busy time. If you are planning the whole Frances , do you have an end date in mind ? October can be a bit cooler ( not always ) and wetter as you approach Galicia ( nearly always ) so you may have to pack a fleece and maybe something slightly more than a poncho.

You won't have any trouble finding items should the weather turn unseasonable and as above has mentioned maybe book the first 2/3 days and then play it by ear

This information is fantastic and very reassuring. This will be my first Camino and I'm hoping to be able to walk all of the Camino Frances. As to 'why', hmmmm, still trying to distil down an answer to that, at the moment, because I feel I need to get away and challenge myself. I think I'll start off with a couple of bookings and then see how my confidence levels are as I start my walk. Thank you so much for you words of advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you look carefully, you´ll probably notice that most of the comments about being unable to book places in advance are from people who are not yet on the camino. Once on the camino you are likely to find that doing it old school style is actually less stressful than continually scouring the internet for something you can book. And yes, that is exactly what you do, rock up to an albergue and ask if they have beds. They usually do.

Last edited:
If you look carefully, you´ll probably notice that most of the comments about being unable to book places in advance is from people who are not yet on the camino. Once on the camino you are likely to find that doing it old school style is actually less stressful than continually scouring the internet for something you can book. And yes, that is exactly what you do, rock up to an albergue and ask if they have beds. They usually do.
Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you feel more at ease if you want to book ahead you will find Gronze very helpfull. A by effect of booking ahead is that it leaves more beds available in albergues that don't accept reservations

Probably an unhelpful question, or one not easily answered, but should I rethink which route I take? Had decided on the Camino Frances starting on the 20th September, but having spent some time reading through different forum 'conversations', its clearly a very busy year and as a result, stressful at times due to the laws of supply and demand. Might it be a little quieter by mid-late September?

This does not include the Covid-years. As you can see, late Sept an Oct is not so busy. I borrowed the graph form another post on this forum 😇Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Prim16.jpeg
    Prim16.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Peak season 'back of an envelope' algorithm

1. Do I have to go peak season - whether that be for work, weather/temperature or other reason?
NO - pick another month when the CF is less busy - (IMO it is often more fun then too!)
YES - proceed

2. Am I anxious about peak time accommodation options?
NO - I'm experienced/relaxed/resourceful.
I'm happy to take my chances for beds at first-come, first-served pilgrim albergues and either get up earlier or walk faster than other pilgrims. Or else fit enough to walk on past target towns when they are full, to stay at less popular ones if necessary. I've got enough flexibility to take a taxi to a less popular place and then back the next morning. Actually if I had to stay a night outside it wouldn't bother me too much - friends would have to listen to me retelling the story for many years afterwards...
SOME - I'm generally relaxed, but would like to plan to take a few precautions.
Start (from St Jean or other major starting point) midweek when less busy.
Recommend booking St Jean to Pamplona in advance, and then decide what to do after Pamplona based on what's going on around you and what you are learning.
And/or read up on options in Gronze, popular apps and recent intelligence on the forum, and work out a few alternative (less popular) stage points. Have sufficient cash to pay for a hotel and/or taxi transport when a target town is unexpectedly full (local festival etc).
YES - I'm anxious and losing sleep!
Book through to Pamplona and book well in advance. Actually consider whether you will feel happier (and enjoy your camino more) by booking either the whole trip in advance or several or a few days in advance as you walk. If you book everything in advance, you are saying that it is more important to you not to leave anything to chance and you are prepared to forgo your opportunities to improvise or change your walking plans on the fly.
Research the camino and create alternative stage points (staying in less popular villages) if popular ones are fully booked. You may have to accept some less typical stage lengths and/or more expensive options.

Please add/adjust as required...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This does not include the Covid-years. As you can see, late Sept an Oct is not so busy. I borrowed the graph form another post on this forum 😇Buen Camino!
That chart is for the Camino Primitivo. The graph of starts from SJPdP looks quite different.

Check out this thread that shows starts from sjpdp.

This information is fantastic and very reassuring. This will be my first Camino and I'm hoping to be able to walk all of the Camino Frances. As to 'why', hmmmm, still trying to distil down an answer to that, at the moment, because I feel I need to get away and challenge myself. I think I'll start off with a couple of bookings and then see how my confidence levels are as I start my walk. Thank you so much for you words of advice.
It’s only a short distance from Saint Jean Pied de Port, but staying at Refuge Orisson is a treat.
How many people can say they’ve slept in the Pyrenees.

That chart is for the Camino Primitivo. The graph of starts from SJPdP looks quite different.

Check out this thread that shows starts from sjpdp.
Sorry, my bad!

But; I notice the big drop from Sept to Oct. If you start late in Sept, like threadstarter is indicating, it looks like it will get less busy the closer you get to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I must admit I am a bit selective where I stay and look for recent positive reviews on gronze, booking.com or word of mouth. As others said stopping in between stages helps, although if everyone is doing that perhaps it’s the inbetween places that are filling up.

Most municipal, Xunta, parroquials, donativos don't take reservations. They usually start with Albergue de Peregrinos or Hospital de Peregrinos. There are a few that do, but the app may tell you depending on the app or guidebook. Private albergues often, but don't always take reservations.

Booking is ok, but just know that most places only release a few beds to them due to the large commission taken out, so even if booking says there is no room, it is likely there will be one if you call directly or use WhatsApp.

I usually have a place in mind that I am aiming for and if they are full, then I go to plan B. We always stop early in the day as I don't like to walk in the heat and Phil can't physically go further. Stopping early also helps.
Very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

I think that a date of start around 20-25 September is ok. This year (in May) I have found that Albergues can be more easily available than private rooms because the supply is larger than in the past. Private accomodations should be booked 3-10 days before, according the popularity of the destination. You will not have problems in my opinion. Buen Camino.

Camino traffic (high or low) is a double edged sword. It seems that if traffic is low, then some albergues close earlier for the season. If traffic is high you will have more options as they stay open. This is only my opinion. What was most favorable walking in Sept./Oct., on my two times walking at this time of the year, was the great weather I had. There are so many options on where to stay that once you experience the first few days, you'll see that there was no reason for worry. Also, the higher number of walkers allows you to experience the social element of the camino, if you desire. You'll see that higher numbers of pilgrims is quite relative, and does not mean that you will be part of a big herd. It simply means that you will see a few more hikers throughout the day! Even though I wanted solitude for the most part, I would rank my camino experiences with fewer pilgrims the lowest. Buen Camino

That's my birthday! I plan to leave SJDP either Sept 19 or 20, maybe a little later if I spend more time in Madrid (arriving Sept 15 or 16 in Spain). Once I know my start date for sure, I plan to book the first night in Borda and the 2nd in Roncesvalles. After that I'll wing it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think Gronze .com has a complete list of lodging, including albergues, hostals, hotels, pensions in each town. Sometimes at the place where you’re staying someone will call ahead for you to reserve for the next night. Just ask.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Russellrugby — I will also be starting from SJPDP on September 20 on my first camino. I’ve booked the first few days and holiday weekends — ”Little” San Fermin in Pamplona (weekend of Sept 25) and a couple of days around October 12 (Spanish National Holiday) — and then more or less winging it. I figure the idea that I can walk 800 kms is a leap of faith anyway, so why not make the next leap and assume things will work out with the accommodations. Good luck with your planning and perhaps we’ll meet on the Way.

Buen Camino:cool:

That's my birthday! I plan to leave SJDP either Sept 19 or 20, maybe a little later if I spend more time in Madrid (arriving Sept 15 or 16 in Spain). Once I know my start date for sure, I plan to book the first night in Borda and the 2nd in Roncesvalles. After that I'll wing it.
If you feel the need to book at Roncesvalles then I suggest to also book at Zubiri (only place I couldn't get a bed).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This website is very accurate.
Also includes those places that are not on a bookingsite.

Hi @AbuelitaWalking
Gronze is an easy to understand ‘go to’ site to find all info too; other than accommodation .
It’s shows a huge selection of all caminos (not restricted to Camino Francés) also maps ., stops.,
distances marked in klms between villages etc to guide you. , options to click on for more info like profiles., etc. Play around with it. Note though that whether you use Gronze or another goodie ‘Wisepilgrim’ app. They all show a ‘stage’…. This can possibly be too long or too short for some depending on your capabilities, days available etc. The end stages are often busier too, because many pilgrims assume they must agree with the guide. Sometimes in between stage you’ll find a place that calls to you. It’s all up to what your preference is. These guides are just that ‘ a guide’., for you to work around and make it fit you.

Buen camino.

Edit: I think you dates are okay ‘as is’ - it comes down to your needs (Ie if you are thinking of having your bag transported and it’s a suitcase / you won’t be able to have it sent to a donativo albergue usually .. so could lessen places available if you are looking at private accommodations. But if you want to go with the flow / you should be able to find beds in the municipal, Parochial and donativos as per @dick bird

Last edited:
Thank you for asking the question! I too am starting the Camino Frances around the first of September and I would like to walk it as I can instead of planning everything out. I did not realize it would be as crowded as the summer. I think I would like to have the first night booked but beyond that I just want to see how the Camino unfolds and how I handle it. I hope I am. It being naive about not planning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Russellrugby — I will also be starting from SJPDP on September 20 on my first camino. I’ve booked the first few days and holiday weekends — ”Little” San Fermin in Pamplona (weekend of Sept 25) and a couple of days around October 12 (Spanish National Holiday) — and then more or less winging it. I figure the idea that I can walk 800 kms is a leap of faith anyway, so why not make the next leap and assume things will work out with the accommodations. Good luck with your planning and perhaps we’ll meet on the Way.

Buen Camino:cool:
Hi there. You have clearly looked in a little more detail than me at the dates and where you hope to be at specific times. That Spanish National Holiday is on the same day as my birthday, so maybe I should prepare and book somewhere, and enjoy the day with them. I do like the thought or prospect of 'winging' things, it seems to me, to be the proper way to approach this adventure. Thanks for your message.

RussellRigby:

You've got the advice/support you need. To the extent that you can, consider reservations at chokepoint days (your first 3 or 4, and including your birthday) ;-) If you're going to use bag transport, bring a backpack/soft duffle vs a hard sided suitcase/roller bag. And Buen Camino !

(I asked why you were going to help you decide which route you wanted to take, and when) You'll find your why as you're going. Stay true to it.

Easy answer: don't rethink route.

The later in Sept you start, the quieter it gets. I did 3 CF's in Sep/Oct prior to the plague, and I started a bit later each time. I was advised by many locals along the route that first couple weeks in Sep are busiest. It turned out they were correct. My third camino, started 1 Oct, and it was the easiest to find beds, although I rarely prebooked on any caminos, and ALWAYS got a bed. I have done four Apr/May caminos since 2019, including this year, and still ALWAYS got a bed.

There may be slightly fewer albergues open in late Oct, but there will be far less pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mid-late September
Mid-late September is likely to be quieter than early September or early May but busier than July or August in SJPP.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back