• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April/May Camino Footwear

Elisha

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April/May 2018
Hi Pilgrims,

So I'm gearing up to walk my first Camino mid April/May 2018. I have all my equipment, I've weighed my pack (6.2kg/13.6lb with water) & so I'm currently spending my time upping my fitness & going on local hikes here in Sydney. In my gear prep I originally bought a pair of Hoka One One hiking boots which I absolutely loved; they're lightweight, extremely comfortable & I legitimately thought they'd be my choice for my Camino. That being said, I went on a 35km hike a few weeks back & I unexpectedly found myself suffering from early leg fatigue & started tripping & dragging my feet which was frustrating. As a result, I went out & bought a pair of Hoka One One Speed Goat trail runners which so far have been fantastic. My only concern is wet weather because they're obviously not waterproof. I know it's hard to predict the weather ahead of time but would you have particular concerns with wearing trail runners during the shoulder season? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Elisha

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walked the Frances starting SJPdP on 2 April this year wearing altra trail runners. As an insurance policy against snow I packed one pair of waterproof socks. I loved walking in the trail runners, no blisters and no foot problems. I never needed the waterproof socks for walking through thick snow but they did keep my feet dry on several rainy days. I’d pack them again if walking in early spring. An alternative would be woollen socks.
Have a very buen camino.

Walked the Frances starting SJPdP on 2 April this year wearing altra trail runners. As an insurance policy against snow I packed one pair of waterproof socks. I loved walking in the trail runners, no blisters and no foot problems. I never needed the waterproof socks for walking through thick snow but they did keep my feet dry on several rainy days. I’d pack them again if walking in early spring. An alternative would be woollen socks.
Have a very buen camino.

Fantastic! Thank you so much for your advice. I hiked the Nakasendo in Japan earlier this year & it bucketed down with snow for most of the trek. Not being prepared, each of us had on ASIC's, but surprising our feet didn't get wet. I'm planning on wearing toe separating sock liners so will definitely reassess the socks I'm planning to pack as I knock off a few more practice hikes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of threads about footwear on the forum. Just wanted to add that you might also consider mud, not just rain/snow. I walked that exact time frame last year, and there was plenty of mud to slog through.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fantastic! Thank you so much for your advice. I hiked the Nakasendo in Japan earlier this year & it bucketed down with snow for most of the trek. Not being prepared, each of us had on ASIC's, but surprising our feet didn't get wet. I'm planning on wearing toe separating sock liners so will definitely reassess the socks I'm planning to pack as I knock off a few more practice hikes.

The trail runner is a great choice, and keep in mind that if they get wet that they will dry out fairly quickly. I've worn trail runners in shoulder seasons over thousands of miles of backpacking in conditions ranging from hot to under-the-sea engulfing downpours. I wouldn't go back to boots unless I am doing wintertime backpacking at altitude with snow conditions. For snow, boots and gaiters are always on my feet.

Here is a review of the men's One One Speedgoat from a backpacker who knows his stuff.
https://andrewskurka.com/2017/review-hoka-one-one-speedgoat-2-trail-shoe/

Additionally, here is a bit of info from Skurka on dealing with wet conditions and wet feet:
https://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimizing-the-effects-and-aftermath-of-wet-feet/

Please tell me what toe-separating socks are, and where to get them (have a funny feeling only in Australia!!). They sound as if they are exactly what my feet need.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The trail runner is a great choice, and keep in mind that if they get wet that they will dry out fairly quickly. I've worn trail runners in shoulder seasons over thousands of miles of backpacking in conditions ranging from hot to under-the-sea engulfing downpours. I wouldn't go back to boots unless I am doing wintertime backpacking at altitude with snow conditions. For snow, boots and gaiters are always on my feet.

Here is a review of the men's One One Speedgoat from a backpacker who knows his stuff.
https://andrewskurka.com/2017/review-hoka-one-one-speedgoat-2-trail-shoe/

Additionally, here is a bit of info from Skurka on dealing with wet conditions and wet feet:
https://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimizing-the-effects-and-aftermath-of-wet-feet/

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this, it certainly gives me a boost of confidence that I haven't made a rash purchase.

Yes, I've always thought that if I was walking through snow and ice I'd have to consider shoes/boots instead of my sandals. Except that a couple of weeks ago I was bushwalking in Australia's alpine region and had to traverse quite a few sections of snow. In my sandals. The biggest problem? My feet got sunburnt!

Yes, I've always thought that if I was walking through snow and ice I'd have to consider shoes/boots instead of my sandals. Except that a couple of weeks ago I was bushwalking in Australia's alpine region and had to traverse quite a few sections of snow. In my sandals. The biggest problem? My feet got sunburnt!

That's hilarious! :) I was quite amazed how dry my feet stayed in the snow considering we spent a day practically up to our knees for 8 hours , it's only when it starts to get slushy that you've got problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Pilgrims,

So I'm gearing up to walk my first Camino mid April/May 2018. I have all my equipment, I've weighed my pack (6.2kg/13.6lb with water) & so I'm currently spending my time upping my fitness & going on local hikes here in Sydney. In my gear prep I originally bought a pair of Hoka One One hiking boots which I absolutely loved; they're lightweight, extremely comfortable & I legitimately thought they'd be my choice for my Camino. That being said, I went on a 35km hike a few weeks back & I unexpectedly found myself suffering from early leg fatigue & started tripping & dragging my feet which was frustrating. As a result, I went out & bought a pair of Hoka One One Speed Goat trail runners which so far have been fantastic. My only concern is wet weather because they're obviously not waterproof. I know it's hard to predict the weather ahead of time but would you have particular concerns with wearing trail runners during the shoulder season? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Elisha
Hi Elisha. I'm a big fan of Merrell Moab GTX mid boots + Injinji Toe socks. I've been wearing them for a few years now since I took up walking again, and during that time I've gone up two sizes! We walked the Larapinta Trail in July and the boots were comfortable, good toe protection and stood up the sharp quartzite underfoot.
Interested to see you are also starting the Camino in April. I've only just started researching. I'm not decided yet on whether to start just after Easter, or leave it a few weeks when the weather might be warmer, but things might start getting more crowded. Any thoughts on that? Also, assuming you will be flying in from Australia, is going via Paris or Madrid better do you think? Thanks

I've walked three Caminos in April/May using trail runners and have had very good success. I had good weather overall, but did walk several times in rain and mud. Yes, my feet got wet, but it never bothered me at all and no blisters formed wearing my Wigwam brand socks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Elisha. I'm a big fan of Merrell Moab GTX mid boots + Injinji Toe socks. I've been wearing them for a few years now since I took up walking again, and during that time I've gone up two sizes! We walked the Larapinta Trail in July and the boots were comfortable, good toe protection and stood up the sharp quartzite underfoot.
Interested to see you are also starting the Camino in April. I've only just started researching. I'm not decided yet on whether to start just after Easter, or leave it a few weeks when the weather might be warmer, but things might start getting more crowded. Any thoughts on that? Also, assuming you will be flying in from Australia, is going via Paris or Madrid better do you think? Thanks
Excuse me for butting in:)...for me I would choose earlier rather later but if you can do the Larapinta Trail in July in goretex boots then you would probably be fine at any time you chose to do the camino. Depends on how sociable you want to be. Any time in April would be lovely.
I’ve flown both the Paris and Madrid options and preferred the later but each has benefits. Paris is easier as it is all train or pretty much and can be pre-booked but it is more expensive. Madrid can include train but also some bus. It too can be pre-booked but not quite as easily. I did all bus from Madrid airport and loved it but each to his/her own. We all like different things. It also depends on what you would like to do after the camino.
And just to let you know that trail runners have very good treads these days but this is a relatively new development. I walked in late 2015 in trail runners and felt every pebble (but with no blisters and good feet) and again this year in the latest model trail runners and the sole were so good it was like walking in boots.
Wishing you a very buen camino and lots of happy research...such a fun time! I love the preparation.

Excuse me for butting in:)...for me I would choose earlier rather later but if you can do the Larapinta Trail in July in goretex boots then you would probably be fine at any time you chose to do the camino. Depends on how sociable you want to be. Any time in April would be lovely.
I’ve flown both the Paris and Madrid options and preferred the later but each has benefits. Paris is easier as it is all train or pretty much and can be pre-booked but it is more expensive. Madrid can include train but also some bus. It too can be pre-booked but not quite as easily. I did all bus from Madrid airport and loved it but each to his/her own. We all like different things. It also depends on what you would like to do after the camino.
And just to let you know that trail runners have very good treads these days but this is a relatively new development. I walked in late 2015 in trail runners and felt every pebble (but with no blisters and good feet) and again this year in the latest model trail runners and the sole were so good it was like walking in boots.
Wishing you a very buen camino and lots of happy research...such a fun time! I love the preparation.
I've always flown to Madrid and have used the bus once and the train twice. Both work well, but I did like that the bus left right from the airport, making it slightly more convenient. I love the preparation too!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked in late 2015 in trail runners and felt every pebble (but with no blisters and good feet) and again this year in the latest model trail runners and the sole were so good it was like walking in boots.
Hey Heda, which brand of trail runners did you use this year, if you don't mind me asking??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, assuming you will be flying in from Australia, is going via Paris or Madrid better do you think? Thanks
Hi Peter, I haven't done the Paris option, but found the Madrid option (which I did by bus) really simple. I am thinking I will go via Madrid again should I head over next year.

Please tell me what toe-separating socks are, and where to get them (have a funny feeling only in Australia!!). They sound as if they are exactly what my feet need.
Injinji toe socks. We all wear them for running to prevent blisters and they are great for walking too. But take enough pairs if you are a heavier person, as my husband put holes in the soles of all three of his. I find I had to release the hem at the top of my socks as they were too tight and it made them far more comfortable. Buy direct from Injinji Australia (based in Qld) online or very reputable running stores and physios Australia wide.

Hey Heda, which brand of trail runners did you use this year, if you don't mind me asking??
Not at all...Altra Lone Peak 2.5.
That’s them in my avatar.
I add the elastic laces and lace as per Altra website instructions because these things work for me.
Newer versions since then. So far trail runners seem to have gotten better each year.
Brands with wide toe boxes for folks like me whose feet swell when walking include Altra and Topo. I call them hobbit shoes, I don’t know of any others. Maybe other forum members do?
Buen camino, peregrino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Elisha,
April/May is a great time to walk Camino, and I believe you will be fine in trail runners, whatever the weather. If you haven't already done so, might I suggest that you replace the original insoles - I use Scholl Gel insoles. They provide much better cushioning and seem to dissipate heat more effectively. I wear Altra Lone Peak trail runners (I do have wide feet - hobbit shoes) with Scholl Gel Work inserts, Injinji hiking toe socks and elastic laces.
Buen Camino.

Shhh! We don’t want trail runners to get too popular. I could always find my shoes easily and with no danger of anyone taking them by mistake.
This pic is from when I was wearing trail runners with turquoise trim.
PS. Spare a thought for the pilgrim wearing flip flops/thongs or whatever you want to call them
A59289B2-1059-456B-A5F7-ABBD41945EA7.jpeg
Written tongue in cheek! We are all different and different things suit different pilgrims at different times.

I've used Hoka trail runners and Hoka boots on 4 different caminos. I love them. The only problem I had was the 2016 Hoka boots, which I found too hot (but not disastrously) because of the waterproofing. The new model has been fine that way. I think you'll be fine with the trail runners. I carry waterproof socks, but they are only useful if it's quite cold outside, otherwise too hot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Pilgrims,

I am planning a 2 week walk with my son, 61yrs old and 26 yrs old. We'd like to fly in to Paris from Los Angeles, but not sure what part of the Camino would be best since we only have a 2 week block of time in April to do this. How would we return back to the airport? Are there trains or buses to transport us? Any help would be wonderful.

Hi Ken
Your first post. Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help here. It might be best if you started a new thread with this query of yours. I think it will get lost in this particular thread which has already wandered a bit. Please do start a thread and I’ll keep an eye out for it. Meanwhile buen camino to you and your son.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Pilgrims,

Elisha
I wore Hokas in both '16 and '17 on the Camino, no problem. My husband carries a few sheets of newspaper just in case the shoes get wet. If this happens, he stuffs the shoes with newspaper which absorbs the wetness quickly. Carry an extra pair of shoes - change them out each day.

Without a doubt the various models of Merrell Moabs seemed to be one of the most popular types of footwear I observed pilgrims on the Frances to be wearing. I wore a pair myself, and they worked well for me.

Toe separating socks - the notion is new to me. Where is Sydney would I be able to buy them and do they have a brand name? Thanks in advance.

I'm starting my Camino from SJPdP on April 4 so its possible we might meet up somewhere. Hope so.

Hi Mack,
The brand I use is called Injinji. They seem to be available at running stores and specialized hiking / trail running stores.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I spent much time and money before Camino, trying different shoes. Within 2 hours of walking real Camino, I took those off and put on my year old Teva Terra Fi4's (which I brought, even though most told me not to) and wore them for my entire Camino! I walked through every kind of terrain including LaBruja mountain in Portugal, rain too and with as much mud as there was, I only got it on one foot, one time! When everyone else's shoes, socks and feet were wet, I could towel mine dry in seconds. I have high praise for that hefty, ugly sandal!
I always wore a pair of injinji toe socks under a pair of Wright Sock (a thin 2 layer sock). Both of those socks are designed to minimize blister potential. I only got one tiny blister because I foolishly ignored a 'hotspot'.
Also...two out of our foursome bought Teva's within a few more days on Camino. :D
Buen Camino!
EDIT: I almost forgot to mention how fabulous it is to quickly tighten or loosen the 3 straps throughout the day.

I am not a fan of Gortex boots and shoes, because they always seem to fail on me. My new boots are Merrell "all out blaze GTX" that I bought in Madrid. Yeah, I know they are Gortex but I still dont trust em.

For years I have been using Rocky brand Gortex socks over merino wool socks. Under my hiking, hunting boots, running shoes, trail runners, everything. I have had a pair since 1999 or so and they are still going strong. Worth looking into if you fear wet feet and blisters.

Btw, 2 layers of merino wool socks keeps blisters away for me wet or dry.

Cheers!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Pilgrims,

Elisha
A 35km hike/early leg fatigue????? That's like 33km more than when my fatigue kicks in..

@Elisha I've worn sandals for the last four or five caminos - in all weathers - and it has been fine. If you are really concerned then a pair of Dexshell socks - waterproof and breathable - would be insurance. Available here.
Hi Kanga, what type of sandals did you walk in? I must admit I have bought a new pair of Merrell's but would have preferred to walk in sandals.

@Elisha I've worn sandals for the last four or five caminos - in all weathers - and it has been fine. If you are really concerned then a pair of Dexshell socks - waterproof and breathable - would be insurance. Available here.
Hi Kanga, I've asked before about your Ecco sandals....but, do you wear socks with them? I'm having trouble with really painful feet after about 10 km and it's not my shoes which are causing the pain because they are very comfy - I think it's my foot structure. I wear Eccos walking the dog but only for about 2 kms, however they feel very padded and I will try them on my next training walk. Thanks a lot

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back