Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

April/may CF

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
Hi all, after months of deliberation one decided to do the CF again... With my usual reckless abandon I jumped on to the Ryanair site and found a flight for the end of April... I was just about to purchase said flight when it struck me that I should pop on here and have a quick check that it's a good idea..

Does anyone know of anything from Apr 27th onward that may be an issue on the CF? I'm planning roughly 40 days and maybe a muxia but thought I'd check that I haven't coincided with the festival of the blessed bocadillo de queso or anything else that may cause congestion (or indigestion) on the route..

Oh, and I apologise in advance for the annoying amount of posts that I will be uploading betwixt now and then
Thank you
Andy
x

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Good for you Andy. I did an April Camino starting on the 19th. It was wet and cold that year with a few lovely days thrown in here and there, this weather lasted till mid May.
On the plus side it was anything but crowded.
Bring good wet gear and plenty layers, the extra clothes can be posted home when it gets hot.
Buen Camino.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hi Andy, I've walked the Frances twice, beginning mid April both times, 2015 and 2017, and had pretty remarkable weather for most of it, allowing 6 weeks total, which included some "tourist time" in Muxia and Finesterre. My only issue was... the days surrounding the May 1st holiday. As you get closer to that day on your walk, if you know where you will be, I'd try to book ahead if I were you.

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2021)
Good for you Andy. I did an April Camino starting on the 19th. It was wet and cold that year with a few lovely days thrown in here and there, this weather lasted till mid May.
On the plus side it was anything but crowded.
Bring good wet gear and plenty layers, the extra clothes can be posted home when it gets hot.
Buen Camino.
Thanks for the assessment Wayfarer! I'll be starting my CF from SJPdP on 18 April. Thanks for the warning on the possible wet weather, which confirmed my resolve to get decent foul weather gear. I'm encouraged by possible less than crowded conditions to boot.

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Hi Andy. I started from SJPdP on April 22, 2017, and arrived in Santiago 45 days later on June 5th. I took one rest day in Leon. After I recovered from the food poisoning I contracted in Bayonne, every day on the trail I participated in the Festival of the Blessed Bocadillo de Queso y Chorizo—a moveable feast! :cool:
Re food poisoning: Emphasis on "movable". No fun.

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Hi all, after months of deliberation one decided to do the CF again... With my usual reckless abandon I jumped on to the Ryanair site and found a flight for the end of April... I was just about to purchase said flight when it struck me that I should pop on here and have a quick check that it's a good idea..

Does anyone know of anything from Apr 27th onward that may be an issue on the CF? I'm planning roughly 40 days and maybe a muxia but thought I'd check that I haven't coincided with the festival of the blessed bocadillo de queso or anything else that may cause congestion (or indigestion) on the route..

Oh, and I apologise in advance for the annoying amount of posts that I will be uploading betwixt now and then
Thank you
Andy
x
Hi Andy, I'll be just ahead of you by a few days. I've been warned possible cold and wet.

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Hi Andy, I've walked the Frances twice, beginning mid April both times, 2015 and 2017, and had pretty remarkable weather for most of it, allowing 6 weeks total, which included some "tourist time" in Muxia and Finesterre. My only issue was... the days surrounding the May 1st holiday. As you get closer to that day on your walk, if you know where you will be, I'd try to book ahead if I were you.
Thanks Chrissy. I have a mid-April start at SJPdP and will heed your advice re 1 May.

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
I've walked the CF in April/May and found it lovely
Some cold days, some rainy days, some sunny days, and LOTS of wildflowers!
I think you'll love it!
Buen Camino!
Thanks, Annie, for the assessment re April/May CF. I'm starting mid-April. I'll just need to be prepared for rain or sun. Can't wait to see the wildflowers.

nzotto

Thank you for all the information! It has given the inspiration to start my camino in April 2021. I have a question: How is the weather walking over the the Pyrenees mountain mid April?
Thank you for your answers!

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
How is the weather walking over the the Pyrenees mountain mid April?
Mmm, like most mountains, you prepare for the worst and hope for the best :D. April could be sunny, foggy, raining, or even snowing :eek:. So have Plan B just in case ;)🤔.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Mmm, like most mountains, you prepare for the worst and hope for the best :D. April could be sunny, foggy, raining, or even snowing :eek:. So have Plan B just in case ;)🤔.
Even May can be snowy. In fact a couple of years ago I read about snow in June on the Napoleon route!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock