• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Are albergues asking for the vaccine passport/vaccination card?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpanBrit

Time of past OR future Camino
Unsure, maybe the Madrid + Invierno
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do the camino starting in June and was wondering if Albergues are still asking for the covid passport/vax cards or not. I know legally they don't have to anymore but it would be good to know if anyone has experience of them asking for it voluntarily/ or not asking for it.

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Roncesvalles we do not have to ask for it.
But I suppose you need it anyway for your flight / entrance into the EU.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Roncesvalles we do not have to ask for it.
But I suppose you need it anyway for your flight / entrance into the EU.
I'm (half) Spanish, so luckily not but good to know

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do the camino starting in June and was wondering if Albergues are still asking for the covid passport/vax cards or not. I know legally they don't have to anymore but it would be good to know if anyone has experience of them asking for it voluntarily/ or not asking for it.

Thanks!
In my recent experience; no.

I did retain electronic copies of my ‘Spain travel health’ form and my UK vaccination certificates on my ‘phone out of an abundance of caution and on the grounds that they weigh nothing.

The rules have changed so often, at short notice and in any direction that I thought it better to retain the option.

I haven’t been asked once. I finally put my paper proof of vaccination into a safer place that isn’t immediately accessible because I was tired of bumping into it while looking for my passport which you do have to show daily.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not one! We walked Camino Portugues’-we are now in Corcubion, Spain on our way to Fisterra. Our server, at lunch, just announced that masks will no longer be required except in close spaces like taxis and other transportation.
Which camino did you do?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Not on the Ingles or Fisterra/Muxia Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
We started the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon on March 23, and are now in Cesantes heading to Pontevedra. The first few Albergues asked us for proof of vaccination, now no one has. I would bring it with you just in case things change. It doesn’t weigh very much!
Buen Camino!
Lucia

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I just finished the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago and did Finisterre and Muxia and we didn't get asked once for our covid documents. Have them with you though just in case rules change but you won't need them to hand

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unpopular opinion - but I wish they were! In dorm rooms anyway, not in privates.

But no - they didn't ask last summer when I walked, and very few people have reported that they have been asked recently. But I would still carry my card - as you never know when rules are going to change. I bought a clear passport cover and my COVID vaccine is sitting in the back - so you can see the record without removing it from the passport cover.

I haven’t been asked once. I finally put my paper proof of vaccination into a safer place that isn’t immediately accessible because I was tired of bumping into it while looking for my passport which you do have to show daily.
I kept mine IN my passport which was in my shirt pocket. (And a photo of it on my phone, also in the shirt pocket.)

I kept mine IN my passport which was in my shirt pocket. (And a photo of it on my phone, also in the shirt pocket.)
I do the same - I have a clear passport cover that I put the card in the back of -

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having just finished the Portuguese from Lisbon, plus several days on the Frances, it is not very reassuring that we were never asked for any proof of vaccination, until our very last night in SdC.

Most people are/were appropriately masking in respect of others, but the caution disappeared inside Cafes, with young people in particular.

When going into a hostel today, the manager quickly told me that my mask was no longer required. I kept it on.

Dropping the mask requirement seems to have allowed people to throw cautious and consider of the vulnerable to the wind.

Having just finished the Portuguese from Lisbon, plus several days on the Frances, it is not very reassuring that we were never asked for any proof of vaccination, until our very last night in SdC.

Most people are/were appropriately masking in respect of others, but the caution disappeared inside Cafes, with young people in particular.

When going into a hostel today, the manager quickly told me that my mask was no longer required. I kept it on.

Dropping the mask requirement seems to have allowed people to throw cautious and consider of the vulnerable to the wind.
Agreed. I find it unnerving.

Agreed. I find it unnerving.
You can always still wear an N-95 mask. And a face shield. That combo has some science behind it and has proven to be effective in at least minimizing your exposure to the droplets the virus is spread from. Chances are you would be just fine anyway but it’s something to consider if you are concerned about contracting the virus.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or you can simply avoid the unnecessary risk.
Perhaps it's being here 8 - 10 days after the mandates were lifted, or perhaps the realization of the selfish unnecessary risk of a Camino, or the friend of 56 years who just passed from Covid, but we should all think of the elderly, the vulnerable and the over worked health care and essential workers who are exhausted to the point of breaking.

I really don't want this thread to be derailed into a "let's all wear bin bags over our heads for the next ten years and anyone who disagrees is selfish or bad" flame war 🙏😅

I was just offering the informed experience and reflection of reality on the ground in Spain and Portugal for the last 28 days.

Only one of 29 hostel / albergue operators ever asked us for proof of vaccination. Why?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was just offering the informed experience and reflection of reality on the ground in Spain and Portugal for the last 28 days.

Only one of 29 hostel / albergue operators ever asked us for proof of vaccination. Why?
Why would they? Legally they don't have to 🤷‍♂️

The one lady who did ask for proof of vaccination clearly cared for the welfare of others.

Considering or putting others first was one of the first and most basic things I re- learned on my first Camino.

A 'legal' requirement is a pretty low standard, particularly given the spiritual and religious nature of a walk or a pilgrimage.

The one lady who did ask for proof of vaccination clearly cared for the welfare of others.

Considering or putting others first was one of the first and most basic things I re- learned on my first Camino.

A 'legal' requirement is a pretty low standard, particularly given the spiritual and religious nature of a walk or a pilgrimage.
Lol, I'm not going to derail my own thread. Suffice to say that if you are truly that worried you would have stayed home, it's a bit much to go to someone else's country and expect them to change their behaviour around your wants. Spain, and the spanish side of my family, have suffered quite enough restrictions thank you very much.

.A 'legal' requirement is a pretty low standard, particularly given the spiritual and religious nature of a walk or a pilgrimage.
[/QUOTE]
Well without the legal restriction (i.e. Requirement to show vacc cert to enter premises), it is probably NOT legal for establishments to request this information (being personal health data).

Certainly here in Ireland once that requirement was lifted no restaurant/bar/hotel can ask for that info.

Not asking anyone to change anything. Many continue to suffer.

Just sharing concern for the vulnerable and for exhausted essential health care workers, and perhaps some misgivings.

If not seeking constructive commentary then ... this thread should end.

Not asking anyone to change anything. Many continue to suffer.

Just sharing concern for the vulnerable and for exhausted essential health care workers, and perhaps some misgivings.

If not seeking constructive commentary then ... this thread should end.
This thread is just about whether they are asking or not, not anything else 🤷‍♂️

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Have you had to enforce any of the COVID rules that WERE put in place legally? I have. I can tell you - it is ugly the way people treat you if you follow the legal requirements - legal requirements that "I" was legally obligated to enforce. Those of us put in positions of authority to enforce things like vaccine requirements and isolation/quarantine requirements and mask mandates have been treated horribly over the last 2 years. So bad - we (at my work specifically) have had to call the police to report multiple incidents. And many other incidents were not "police" worthy - but we were still being treated horribly. I can't tell you how many people accused me of being a Nazi - because I was "blindly" following orders (like telling a parent he had to take his child home to quarantine - you know - the safety of the child's parents home. Seriously. It is disgusting how people have behaved during COVID. We have received hate mail. Threats. Heck - at one meeting we had community members chasing my bosses in their cars as my bosses tried to leave a meeting. Reprehensible behavior - directed towards us.

Yes, following a legal requirement is a pretty low standard. But these are people who work for albergues (or volunteer). I don't blame them one bit for not trying to enforce more than they are legally required to enforce.

Yes, I wish we were required to show vaccination records to stay in albergues. But it isn't fair to make albergue hosts become enforcers of COVID requirements/restrictions.

But if you see me getting all pissy on some COVID posts - this is why. I have worked overtime to stay polite and respectful in COVID related posts - but believe me - it is taking a great deal of restraint on my part after the last 2 years I have dealt with COVID. Sorry - my blood pressure is rising just thinking about it!

I appreciate your opinion. There are people who disagree with you like me that still care about the welfare of others. Just know that.

Have you had to enforce any of the COVID rules that WERE put in place legally? I have. I can tell you - it is ugly the way people treat you if you follow the legal requirements - legal requirements that "I" was legally obligated to enforce. Those of us put in positions of authority to enforce things like vaccine requirements and isolation/quarantine requirements and mask mandates have been treated horribly over the last 2 years. So bad - we (at my work specifically) have had to call the police to report multiple incidents. And many other incidents were not "police" worthy - but we were still being treated horribly. I can't tell you how many people accused me of being a Nazi - because I was "blindly" following orders (like telling a parent he had to take his child home to quarantine - you know - the safety of the child's parents home. Seriously. It is disgusting how people have behaved during COVID. We have received hate mail. Threats. Heck - at one meeting we had community members chasing my bosses in their cars as my bosses tried to leave a meeting. Reprehensible behavior - directed towards us.

Yes, following a legal requirement is a pretty low standard. But these are people who work for albergues (or volunteer). I don't blame them one bit for not trying to enforce more than they are legally required to enforce.

Yes, I wish we were required to show vaccination records to stay in albergues. But it isn't fair to make albergue hosts become enforcers of COVID requirements/restrictions.

But if you see me getting all pissy on some COVID posts - this is why. I have worked overtime to stay polite and respectful in COVID related posts - but believe me - it is taking a great deal of restraint on my part after the last 2 years I have dealt with COVID. Sorry - my blood pressure is rising just thinking about it!
People get upset when you take away freedom and personal choice. I got a few stories I could tell as well to counter yours. We all have experiences and concerns. Yours are absolutely valid and important just as mine are. This is not an easy subject.

In the end I’m simply for letting people take responsibility for themselves and having the freedom to decide what’s best for them. I’m against mandates and instead for smart decisions that manage personal risk. Nothing more. I want everyone to be as healthy AND free as possible. Sometimes those two clash unfortunately and that sucks but it’s also reality.

Just my 2 cents and thank you for your perspective and more importantly thanks for your help during Covid

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Will you people PLEASE find another outlet for your opinions and arguments and agenda on these matters.

Edited to add: Some discussion of albergue practices is valid, particularly for those who are on the Camino now, or planning to go in the near future. However, the forum is not the place to debate defense of, or changes to, health regulations and limitations on freedom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back